Let's Talk: Kodiak Champion Discussion

36 replies to this topic

#21 Duck Laurent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 283 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:00 AM

Am I wrong assuming that no one checked those builds regarding plausibility beyond their number of likes?

#22 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:54 AM

I fixed the Build #2: Kodiak 3 build. It was missing ferro fibrous, added some DHS and redistributed the armor.

This is a perfect assault mech for a new player. Fast, cool running and easy to use - just spam the left mouse button. Or hold it, if you want 0 jams.

Edited by Kmieciu, 27 January 2017 - 05:56 AM.

#23 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:56 AM

Build #1 - why bother with MGs - it is also a PPFLD meta build with a shield side which is a bit less newb friendly

Build #2,#3 - The torso armor is broken ... 80 front and 40 back? Did someone just enter it wrong? Since the Kodiak with this build has to face tank to deliver the ballistic damage ... the rear armor should be about 16 not 40.

My preference is for build #3 with the back up lasers/dakka/extra heat sinks and slightly slower speed.

Build #4: I don't generally use the LBX line much due to the spread damage. However, that can be mitigated by extra crit damage against unarmored components. However, the LBX doesn't have a heat penalty which means that they can be fired all together.

Overall, I would go for build 3 due to the equipment mix. ER ML could also be swapped over to SPL if the player is looking for light mech defence or brawling damage.

#24 Maclaren210

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 02:29 PM

Build #4, easy to aim, high damage alpha, good dps, and high heat efficiency. Choose this please.
Build #3, good but overheats too easily. Better than the gauss ppc setup though.
Build #2, better than three, but lack of armor on the arms and mediocre ammo hurt it. Second choice.
Build #1, too complicated for a newer player and reliance upon poking make it a no go, worst for new players. Don't use it please.

#25 Duck Laurent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 283 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 01:31 AM

Having only "threes" as an option will probably intensify and mislead the balancing discussion.

One has to bear in mind, that Champions are not solely used by new players as trials, but also by experienced ones on alt accounts (see what's possible with the ACH) or it will be overused as a xp generating machine, which will probably result in a disproportionately high population of this variant.

I am concerned about this trend.

#26 Draglock

• PipPip
  • The Dreadnought
  • The Dreadnought
  • 41 posts
  • LocationGeogia

Posted 29 January 2017 - 07:40 AM

You guys think the TC1 do not help LB10x in #4, But your not looking at all the stats the TC1 adds, it is for the crit chance.

#27 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 11:03 AM

Build #1, the only build for champions. Honestly, it's pointless to add machine guns, the first ballistic slot is level with cockpit.

Edited by ironnightbird, 29 January 2017 - 11:03 AM.

#28 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 12:24 PM

View PostDraglock, on 29 January 2017 - 07:40 AM, said:

You guys think the TC1 do not help LB10x in #4, But your not looking at all the stats the TC1 adds, it is for the crit chance.

Again...they DO NOT WORK with LB-X autocannons. LB-X's have their own special crit rules. The computer bonuses do not stack with them. It clearly says "Increases AC (except LBX), PPC, and laser crit chances."

#29 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:02 AM

#3 because its a trial and trial should offer different playstyles.
#4 as second - because its a trial and trials should offer a grip on the game - and there is hardly anything better in this game but the sound of 4 LB10X

#30 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 30 January 2017 - 06:42 AM

View PostDuck Laurent, on 27 January 2017 - 02:00 AM, said:

Am I wrong assuming that no one checked those builds regarding plausibility beyond their number of likes?

well this is like a contest about popularity, and when the majority of potatoes vote for a potatoe builds, then thats the "champions" we get.

#31 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 05:11 AM

My vote is for #4.

Because it's sadly the least silly of the easy ones.
#1 would be okay too but I think 1# is too challenging for new players. #4 is very easy to play, and powerful and flexible enough to most situations.

It has nice speed for it's size, well front loaded armor, pretty okay range, it won't overheat too fast and it has quite natural deterrence againts light mechs trying to prey upon it. And fairly okay firepower.

#32 NotSoDeadpool15

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:21 PM

A quad lb 10x kodiak 3 is extremely new player friendly as it has plenty of ammo (60 volleys) to spare but still has an effective range up to 1080 making it viable to take those longer shots and keeps the champion mech competitive.

[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0fb995bfb1bafb2[/smurfy]

Edited by NotSoDeadpool15, 31 January 2017 - 01:26 PM.

#33 Nelos Kniven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 225 posts
  • LocationSolaris 7

Posted 18 February 2017 - 01:10 PM

3. Good with the lasers to back up acs in jam or ammo low situations, It is the optimal build. For the sake of diversity, pick Mauler 3 if you do this one, or in case of KDK 4 do mauler 1

#34 ANTI-MASON-AND-ILUMINATED

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 12:55 PM

View PostTina Benoit, on 23 January 2017 - 04:01 PM, said:

Regarding the community-created Kodiak Builds here: https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/243317-kodiak-champion-build/

This discussion will be between 4 builds as there was a tie for the 3rd spot!

Let's discuss the top 3 voted Kodiak builds! Answer the following:
- Which one of the below 3 builds do you think should get implemented as the champion?
- Why would this fit best as the Kodiak Champion?
- Is your pick new-player friendly? If so, how?

Build #1: Kodiak 3
Build #2: Kodiak 3
Build #3: Kodiak 3
Build #4: Kodiak 3

Discuss! Also please try to keep it fairly short as a designer will be taking their time to review this thread to make the final call.

I use xl400 and 170 ammo

#35 Donnerkeil666

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Marshal II
  • Marshal II
  • 164 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:21 AM

Going with #3. #1 is the least new player friendly loadout imaginable.

#36 Masochistic Trashcan Virtuoso

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 60 posts
  • LocationMetropolis, Urbia, Cityplanet.

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:02 AM

i`ll vote for the 4-urbie launcher kodiak. because of the urbie power.

#37 xXJ35T3RXx

• PipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:03 PM

View PostTina Benoit, on 23 January 2017 - 04:01 PM, said:

Regarding the community-created Kodiak Builds here: https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/243317-kodiak-champion-build/

This discussion will be between 4 builds as there was a tie for the 3rd spot!

Let's discuss the top 3 voted Kodiak builds! Answer the following:
- Which one of the below 3 builds do you think should get implemented as the champion?
- Why would this fit best as the Kodiak Champion?
- Is your pick new-player friendly? If so, how?

Build #1: Kodiak 3
Build #2: Kodiak 3
Build #3: Kodiak 3
Build #4: Kodiak 3

Discuss! Also please try to keep it fairly short as a designer will be taking their time to review this thread to make the final call.

Build #4
It's face-hugging violent sand papering dakka?
It's simple point and shoot with low heat for a new person.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users