85 replies to this topic

#21 Starbomber109

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 387 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:41 AM

View PostLupis Volk, on 25 January 2017 - 05:03 PM, said:

You do go slow, but i prefer to be safe than fast.

You inspired me to try and do both
HIGH ROLLER <-tough, fast, and durable. I don't think I could have done any better. 15.5 free tons isn't a lot but HR has the advantage of those laser hardpoints so I can throw in a brace of medium lasers. Honestly I just threw on LPL and machine guns to see how big a standard engine would still fit. In game it hasn't been bad. You can poke with the LPL but it excells at brawling with the machine guns doing DPS, just spread damage across your torso and you'll be fine, it out-dps most mediums.

#22 Shadey99

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 06:34 AM

View PostStarbomber109, on 26 January 2017 - 03:41 AM, said:

HIGH ROLLER <-tough, fast, and durable. I don't think I could have done any better. 15.5 free tons isn't a lot but HR has the advantage of those laser hardpoints so I can throw in a brace of medium lasers. Honestly I just threw on LPL and machine guns to see how big a standard engine would still fit. In game it hasn't been bad. You can poke with the LPL but it excells at brawling with the machine guns doing DPS, just spread damage across your torso and you'll be fine, it out-dps most mediums.

You could go for ferro and have space for a AMS or BAP for a bit of extra utility. You have the free space for it.

Btw also a reminder for everyone. an XL 275 and an XL 280 weigh the same, so if you have the cash go for the easy upgrade for the extra speed and agility.

#23 Veolfen

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:24 PM

After playing them every day after work since tuesday, here are the builds that ended up working for me :

-The hero variant : Let's try the pinpoint sniper : ERPPC+ Gauss Rifle (love it on my MAD3R) , he's the only mech that can do it with the P2, but the P2 has more machine gun ROF while the hero has +15% turn rate :

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2d7f6048eb17540

It's a very consistant build, easy to achieve 300+ damages in every matchs. On the other hand, it's hard to achieve a very high amount of damages since you need to be accurate with all your gauss shots and you need to fight a lot to use everything and to reach those 600+ damages.

-The Bush P1 : The 6 missiles one, can be either LRM or SRM, he's probably the best variant of the bunch. Here's my 6 SRM variant :

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...124709a7bf1f47d

Kind of classical, has good speed, nice damages & stuff. And on the other hand, it's the opposite of the previous build, this one is inconsistant. On maps where you can't brawl, it's a real pain in the ***, but on the maps where brawl is possible, it's a real monster. But even on "brawly" maps, you need to be careful, you have a good armor, but still an XL engine and you're not an assault or an heavy. That build isn't the easiest, but it's probably the best.

-The Bush X2 : LBXMASTER =>No ballistic cooldown or velocity quirk ? No offensive cooldown at all ? Okay, let's go for the double LBX10 (ballistic bush variants with more than 1 slot add range, which is kind of useless on LBX because of the spread anyway, but maybe it reduced the spread ?)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...72eb53aa3981874

Good build all around, not that high alpha, but good DPM. It's a good build at short to the beginning of midrange, and it is really heat efficient too. The main problem is the same the first variant has, easy to do decent damages, but to do high damages, you need to fight a lot !

-The X1 : The "classical" , the fire support mech the bushwacker is supposed to be :

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...664c173265c0913

A decent all around mech. Does long range to short range fire support. A decent at everything, master of nothing mech. It really looks like the Bushwacker was made to be that type of mech anyway. Funny to play,
but like 2 of the previous variants you need to fight constantly to get decent results. Care for AMS (chainfire & alpha binds for LRMS, use the alpha bind against 1 AMS, keep your lurms if they have more than 1, or switch to an other target), don't fire your LRMS too fast, try to always be under 650 range to use them. This build, while being able to do something in all situations, has 2 big flaws: it can't trade with ennemies & it's extremely weakened by ennemy teams with a lot of ECM.

For the other 2 variants, i'm still looking for builds i am comfortable with. The S2 will probably be an STD variant made for brawl while the P2 will be a laser variant.

EDIT : After watching builds again, i'll probably go with that build for the S2. It looks like it might be a lot of fun :

View PostA_Velociraptor, on 25 January 2017 - 07:43 PM, said:

God damn is this build fun if you can get in people's faces with it. Summary: Splatwacker.

Final verdict (At tier 2 matchmaking) :

The bushwacker is okay and funny . It's not a giant beast like the KDK or the MADIIC, but he can do a decent job.
Yeah, this mech is all about being "decent", "average", "kind of good". He feels like a clan mech wannabe, but way under their effectiveness (at the same speed range, Hellbringers, EBJs, stormcrows,, timbys etc... are way better at being "good at everything" than the Bushwacker)

Last thought : I love the Bushwacker ahah !

-Efficiency : 6.5/10
-Fun : 9/10 (for me ofc, it may vary a lot for everyone ahah)

Edited by Veolfen, 26 January 2017 - 01:46 PM.

#24 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:44 PM

Had a decent match in my P1 so I thought I'd post it and make some observations so far: BSW-P1

If you notice the above linked build I'm using SRM2s in the torso. I did that because the SRM2/SSRM2 are pretty narrow which helps avoid being targeted up there on the 'ears' plus I can fire all 20 missles without ghost heat. I think using SRM2s for the ears and running SRM4s or 6s in the other four hardpoints is a viable option for SRM brawler builds as it allows for a larger alpha strike, you don't have to chainfire your SRMs, and the ears on the mech are a smaller target.

I've been going back and forth adjusting the builds on all my Bushwackers (I got the base plus reinforcements, so 5 mechs) and trying out some unusual builds. I have so far been happy with the Bushwacker's XL engine durability; I don't seem to lose a side torso early unless I do some really stupid early brawling. I've also found that I've been locking the arms to the torso often which I normally don't do, as most of my builds have the main weaponry in the torso with arm weapons augmenting the main weaponry's damage, or identical weapons in both a torso and arm so I want them firing at the same spot. Luckily the mobility of mech and torso pitch and yaw is pretty good.

#25 Lupis Volk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:54 PM

View PostStarbomber109, on 26 January 2017 - 03:41 AM, said:

Huh, Okay might have to switch to that.

#26 A_Crotchety_Old_Geezer

• Pip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 16 posts
  • LocationITALY

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:52 AM

My build for the X1-S:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1545d65464dc695

XL280 + 1 Double Heatsink

1xAC10 (3t ammo - 60 shots)

1xSRM6A (3t ammo - 50 shots)

2xMG (1t ammo - enough shots)

Modules: AC10 Cooldown, SRM6 Cooldown, Advanced Seismic Sensor, Radar Deprivation

Because of the quirks, the actual armor values are the following:

Head: 16
CT: 77/5
LT/RT: 57/5
RA: 54
LA: 44
RL/LL: 52

It'a a medium/short range opportunist build: keep hidden and safe, side peek with your AC10 and/or unleash everything you have at close range.

#27 goatreich

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 105 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:20 AM

I've been having fun with the Bushwacker.
One build with 2 LBX10, 2 ML is really nice, specially in end game when people are cored.

Also have one uac5, 2 spl, 3srm4, 1 srm2 in the high torso mount that makes a nice brawler.

The trick is not getting flanked. those ST are a huge magnet. I think 50% of my deaths are to side torsoitis. But I refuse to equip a standard hahah.

#28 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:54 PM

Anyone think this is underwhelming?

HIGH ROLLER 3AC5

Or this thing I just barfed out?

BSW-P1 6srm4 1flamer

BSW-S2 LB-10X, 4SRM4

#29 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:17 PM

That P1 build would be great for FW scouting along with the S2.

My special X1 build: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...443742bf7af9116

Edited by Lupis Volk, 28 January 2017 - 01:15 AM.

#30 dabeda

• PipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 07:19 AM

i'm having a good time in the high roller with the plain 2xUac5 1xERLL build, 6,5 tons of ammo and the biggest XL u can fit

#31 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 09:07 PM

This is the one that's gonna be elite skilled first given the games I'm getting out of it.

The Green Machine - BSW-X2

Runs cool enough to alpha over and over for 37 seconds before overheat becomes a factor. For most combat that means no need to carry a cool shot consumable.

#32 MechLord71

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 160 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 10:48 PM

So how vulnerable is the Bushwacker to side torso deaths when running XL engines? Debating on getting this guy, although the Shadowhawk 5M seems to be able to basically cover most of the Bushwacker builds I have seen.

I am trying to figure out if a STD engine bushwacker brings something special from a toughness standpoint.

Thanks!

#33 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 11:11 PM

View PostMechLord71, on 28 January 2017 - 10:48 PM, said:

So how vulnerable is the Bushwacker to side torso deaths when running XL engines? Debating on getting this guy, although the Shadowhawk 5M seems to be able to basically cover most of the Bushwacker builds I have seen.

I am trying to figure out if a STD engine bushwacker brings something special from a toughness standpoint.

Thanks!

It's like the Marauder. Good front profile but everywhere else leaves to be desired. STD engines are rather good for it. It can tank rather well for a medium with STD's.

#34 dabeda

• PipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 01:15 AM

View PostMechLord71, on 28 January 2017 - 10:48 PM, said:

Thanks!

Depends if your good with torso twisting and shielding with arms, im only running XLs and in 8 out of 10 cases i die from a cause other than destroyed side torsos

#35 Brandiment

• PipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:53 AM

On my X1 I put a gauss in the left torso and an AC-2 in the right with 2 LRM 5s to back it up. Its a great long range build. My X2 has dual MPLs, Dual UAC5's and one LRM 5, again all of the weapons are center mounted. My S2 is pretty much how I got it, keep in mind that my X1 fit is pretty much a Doolittle fit that just happens to work for me.

#36 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 02:33 PM

The weapon quirks are minor so while it benefits building to them, don't go silly boating the things. They work best with mixed builds I (and others) have found. For example, while a couple have a -10% energy quirk (like the P2), that doesn't mean just run three large pulse lasers. There's just not enough room for all the heat sinks you'd want to support that energy load. This is what I've settled on for that variant.

BSW-P2

#37 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 02:42 PM

If you DO want to do a 3xLPL build, this allows the maximum number of heatsinks without stripping armor from important areas (like the ever popular shoot him in the legs) and only a minor loss of mobility. If you did feel you'd give up armor, 48 pts less would allow a 280XL and another heat sink.

BSW-P2

#38 A_Velociraptor

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 08:20 PM

Here is my BackWacker build although it could also be called the finisher because it is great at finishing off enemy mechs or opening up their backs. The 3 SRM 6 + ART are the main weapons of the build and so are the MG's in a way. Some of you may be asking why is there no armor on the right arm. Well it's because you only have 1 mg in the arm and you need the weight for the sheer amount of firepower. You could bump the engine up to an XL 285 if you have one but you really don't have too. The main strat is to either flank the big boys and open them up with the MPL's and SRM's and try to finish them off with the MG's. This might not look it but i average about 550 - 600 damage a game in it.

#39 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 29 January 2017 - 08:46 PM

I'm just working on the X1 for now, and I just slapped on weapons I like, turns out to not be so bad - odd, but seems to keep up.

[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fd08bc57e6a2b29[/smurfy]

LBX just seems to fit, kept the ERLL and MG's, the streak is just there because I don't have to aim, but changing to a LRM5 or SRM4 works fine too - I just can't leave those arms empty (and I'm just not into the high torso points, they just ain't right...)

#40 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 11:47 PM

View PostA_Velociraptor, on 29 January 2017 - 08:20 PM, said:

Here is my BackWacker build although it could also be called the finisher because it is great at finishing off enemy mechs or opening up their backs. The 3 SRM 6 + ART are the main weapons of the build and so are the MG's in a way. Some of you may be asking why is there no armor on the right arm. Well it's because you only have 1 mg in the arm and you need the weight for the sheer amount of firepower. You could bump the engine up to an XL 285 if you have one but you really don't have too. The main strat is to either flank the big boys and open them up with the MPL's and SRM's and try to finish them off with the MG's. This might not look it but i average about 550 - 600 damage a game in it.

There's 18 bonus armor on the right arm anyway. But 2.5 tons of ammo is a trifle excessive for 3 MGs. Also why not a 280XL ? Same weight as the 275 and bumps the speed up slightly.

Edited by Dee Eight, 29 January 2017 - 11:49 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users