Metalicious Mechs For The Is (Now With Poll)

BattleMechs Balance Gameplay

262 replies to this topic

#101 Requiemking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:06 AM

Erm, the selection in the Light department is a bit lacking. What with options like the Garm(Mini Hunchback, which is never a bad thing), the Falcon(Commando with JJs), the Mongoose(Fast and durable for a 25 tonner), and of course the Wight(A better Panther? Sign me up).

#102 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:18 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 01 February 2017 - 11:49 PM, said:

It might be an less ranged and less stable version of the ebon jaguar but at least as battlemech with the option to have jumpjets
might not be that bad.

However running the poll - light and medium was simple - but heavy - did choose the Thunder....because of AC20 (clearly not the best gun in game but the velocity feels good - other stuff is to fast) but wouldn't be the Koschei be the better alternative?

They're close to the same but the Thunder is (IMO) one of the relatively weaker mechs on this list and the Koschei would be weaker still.

#103 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:56 AM

View PostRequiemking, on 02 February 2017 - 12:06 AM, said:

Erm, the selection in the Light department is a bit lacking. What with options like the Garm(Mini Hunchback, which is never a bad thing), the Falcon(Commando with JJs), the Mongoose(Fast and durable for a 25 tonner), and of course the Wight(A better Panther? Sign me up).

- Garm would lose that hunch very quickly and at 35t it'll be on the bigger and easier to hit side
- Falcon could be good but we're getting the Javelin that has an energy boat variant with JJ
- The Mongoose would be alright but the Nexus is better in almost every way.
- Tbh, the Panther isn't a good mech and the Wight would be just barely better and it'd be a slowish 35 tonner

#104 Weepy Wanebow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 171 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:52 AM

You forgot uziel for mediums. Decently high mounts in torsos and its arms are just below torso level...

Also thanatos and lancelot for heavies. Lancelot has high to medium chest mounts and rifleman/blackjack arms...thanatos has high chest mounts and medium arm mounts....

Also for heavy is the anvil. It has high side torso mounts and is an eneegy boat that comes with shield arms.

#105 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:38 AM

View PostSmell Da Glove, on 02 February 2017 - 03:52 AM, said:

You forgot uziel for mediums. Decently high mounts in torsos and its arms are just below torso level...

The Uziel has a colossal hump on it's back and an absurdly low cockpit. Combined with it's wide spread arms, and you have a mech that everyone can see 5 minutes before it turns a corner or humps a hill.

Also thanatos

Easily isolated torso locations with no arm shielding and low energy/ballistic mounts.

and lancelot for heavies.

Bad tonnage, low mounts, worse hit boxes than the Rifleman it would compete with, and with how skinny it is, it would probably be as tall as an assault mech.

Also for heavy is the anvil. It has high side torso mounts and is an eneegy boat that comes with shield arms.

Huge fins negate arm shielding capacity, easily isolated torso.

If I were to guess, anyway.

Edited by Bombast, 02 February 2017 - 04:44 AM.

#106 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:29 AM

PGI did their own - bring the "brass bull"
Posted Image

#107 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:48 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 02 February 2017 - 05:29 AM, said:

PGI did their own - bring the "brass bull"

That looks pretty nice.

Plog and Scroggins have created quite a number of 'Mechs with high mounts for their project its seems.

#108 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:56 AM

View PostBombast, on 02 February 2017 - 04:38 AM, said:

The Uziel has a colossal hump on it's back and an absurdly low cockpit. Combined with it's wide spread arms, and you have a mech that everyone can see 5 minutes before it turns a corner or humps a hill.

Easily isolated torso locations with no arm shielding and low energy/ballistic mounts.

Bad tonnage, low mounts, worse hit boxes than the Rifleman it would compete with, and with how skinny it is, it would probably be as tall as an assault mech.

Huge fins negate arm shielding capacity, easily isolated torso.

If I were to guess, anyway.

Pretty much spot on although I don't think I'd say the Lancelot has low mounts considering it's basically a Rifleman. Also the Anvil is 60t.

#109 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:12 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 02 February 2017 - 06:56 AM, said:

Pretty much spot on although I don't think I'd say the Lancelot has low mounts considering it's basically a Rifleman.

Posted Image

The mounts aren't quite as low as I though, but they are lower than the Rifleman's, as well as being way, way lower in comparison to the cockpit. I still think that, without some real help, the Rifleman would have a better hit box, along with likely being significantly shorter.

Also the Anvil is 60t.

Ok?

Edited by Bombast, 02 February 2017 - 07:17 AM.

#110 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:19 AM

View PostBombast, on 02 February 2017 - 07:12 AM, said:

Ok?

60 tons is too light to be a meta Heavy.

Perhaps we should have described the requirements for a 'Mech being meta in the OP.

#111 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:22 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 02 February 2017 - 07:19 AM, said:

Perhaps we should have described the requirements for a 'Mech being meta in the OP.

But I wasn't arguing that the Anvil would be meta.

In fact, I blasted the Lancelot for being too light, and it's 60 tons too.

While your here, was I right about the rest of it? Am I finally in tune with the meta?

Edited by Bombast, 02 February 2017 - 07:22 AM.

#112 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:23 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 02 February 2017 - 07:19 AM, said:

to become meta its a good start to be either 55 and 75t in weight
assaults and lights depends - 30-35 and 85-90tons

because MWO is a BattleTech game the functions are the same - non optimized for FPS - so its a good start.
Add option for ECM and JJs - a compact torso and arms that can "protect" any protubing ct and you have a deal

60tons is a realy bad optimized weight same as 40 and 80 tons and 20tons are only ok because we are AVS+0.5

Edited by Karl Streiger, 02 February 2017 - 07:24 AM.

#113 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:33 AM

View PostBombast, on 02 February 2017 - 07:22 AM, said:

While your here, was I right about the rest of it? Am I finally in tune with the meta?

Yes.

#114 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:20 AM

View PostBombast, on 02 February 2017 - 07:12 AM, said:

Posted Image

The mounts aren't quite as low as I though, but they are lower than the Rifleman's, as well as being way, way lower in comparison to the cockpit. I still think that, without some real help, the Rifleman would have a better hit box, along with likely being significantly shorter.

Ok?

Sorry I should of been clearer. I wasn't critiquing your assessment but rather adding to it.

#115 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:13 PM

Can't say I am a fan of the Flashman winning the Heavy vote so far. Of all the things the IS need, a good laser boat Heavy is not high on the list of priorities because there are several already. Methinks this is another case of nostalgis striking again, and that the list should've been pruned more than it was. Why wasn't it limited to five as discussed? Jinggau and Thunder were shot down in the PMs, I thought.

Kinda the same for assaults. I like the Night Star and Fafnir, but the Sagittaire is objectively better than either.

#116 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:37 PM

View PostRequiemking, on 02 February 2017 - 12:06 AM, said:

I don't really think any of those are better than the lights that are already there, or than the lights that are already available in game. The point of this thread isn't "What mechs do you want?", its "here are some mechs that would potentially be top tier mechs".

View PostYeonne Greene, on 02 February 2017 - 02:13 PM, said:

Can't say I am a fan of the Flashman winning the Heavy vote so far. Of all the things the IS need, a good laser boat Heavy is not high on the list of priorities because there are several already. Methinks this is another case of nostalgis striking again, and that the list should've been pruned more than it was.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the Flashman winning, why do we need another laser boat? Come on people, use your heads.

#117 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:37 PM

View PostBombast, on 02 February 2017 - 04:38 AM, said:

I disagree. I think the Lancelot would be pretty good. High speed, high mounts(especially the ST mount for the PPC), all energy loadout, better hitboxes than it's competitors. These would especially be shown if PGI used Bishop Steiner's version as the base.

#118 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:39 PM

View PostRequiemking, on 02 February 2017 - 02:37 PM, said:

I disagree. I think the Lancelot would be pretty good. High speed, high mounts(especially the ST mount for the PPC), all energy loadout, better hitboxes than it's competitors. These would especially be shown if PGI used Bishop Steiner's version as the base.

Its a 60 tonner. That means its not of interest in this case.

Once again, we don't need another energy boat heavy. We have those already, from 60-75 tons, we have them in droves.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 02 February 2017 - 02:41 PM.

#119 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:46 PM

Does not have better hitboxes than RFL and, again, 60 tons is too light. It lacks the armor and engine-sink capacity that being 70-75 tons grants you. I mean, yes, you can shove a giant engine in it, but that consumes more relative tonnage than it does on a heavier 'Mech, meaning significantly reduced weapons and sinks.

It is not enough to be "pretty good" in this thread, it has to essentially power creep the IS to qualify. The only reason Lights were included at all was to silence questions about why they were left out, but really they should not be here.

#120 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:47 PM

Posted Image

That one? Sure, it's higher up than the arms, but not by much.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users