92 replies to this topic

#21 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 26 March 2017 - 02:02 PM

in that case without physicaly seeing the PC all I can sugest is try updating the graphics driver there should be a Nvidia graphics driver update utility on your PC, if not you can download it here

if that does not help try sending an email to technical@mwomercs.com, that is the technical support email address, describe the problem, show them screenshots of the Windows and MWO graphics settings screens, also attach a photo showing the issue, and hopefully they will be able to help you resolve it.

#22 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 26 March 2017 - 02:03 PM

View PostAlexWildeagle, on 26 March 2017 - 08:07 AM, said:

Nightmare, very well done!

So, I'm back after a very long absence. New and improved internet connection as well as computer, but same crappy player *G*

Mouse sensitivity has always been an issue(excuse) for me, what is a good setting?

Also having an issue with text in the mechlab as well as other places in those screens, by issue I mean letters are blocky and difficult to read, barely could read "save". My computer is as follows:
AMD 1700x
Gigabyte mobo with 16gig DDR4 ram
GTX-1060 with 6 gig ram
Win10 64

Tried settings on "high" and set for 1900x1200 which is native for my monitor, couldn't read hardly anything. Reduced to medium and it got a little better. I thought I should be able to run at high with no issues so I'm asking y'all if you had any suggestions as to what I could tweak? I mean other then dropping to low.

Thank you and welcome back! Posted Image

Regarding mouse sensitivity, that's kind of up to the individual player. I personally did not modify my sensitivity at all. Instead, I have a mouse with four different sensitivity presets with a button that lets me switch between them on the fly. I adjust my sensitivity as needed while in-game using that.

However, several buddies of mine that don't have that feature like to drop their sensitivity down substantially. I would recommend dropping it a dozen points or so and then checking in the Testing Grounds to see if you like that setting. If not, adjust it up or down some more until you find what works best for you.

It sounds like you may have some PC issues and it looks like Rogue Jedi has already covered a lot with you. For more info, you may also want to consider checking out the Hardware and Accessories subforum here: https://mwomercs.com...e-accessories/. A lot of pilots will post there asking for, or offering, help for that and similar issues.

Best of luck! :)

#23 AlexWildeagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 549 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:31 PM

It doesn't seem to affect the game itself. Did the academy and everything is fine, even at "very high" It's just building out my mechs is next to impossible.

#24 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 07:38 PM

View PostAlexWildeagle, on 26 March 2017 - 04:31 PM, said:

It doesn't seem to affect the game itself. Did the academy and everything is fine, even at "very high" It's just building out my mechs is next to impossible.

That's certainly frustrating. Were you able to find anything on the tech subforum?

#25 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:47 PM

The guide has been updated to reflect the new Skill Tree.

#26 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:01 AM

Updated with new Skill Tree videos and better information.

#27 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:42 AM

Here are some details on how the High Explosive Skill Works:

First off, information on how critical hits work: https://mwomercs.com...-a-brief-guide/

TL,DR: When the armor is gone from your Mech, then your internals/components/structure are all open to incoming damage. These can be "critted." The chance to crit is based on a dice roll. The dice is rolled three times whenever damage is dealt to your internals.

1st Roll @ 25%
2nd Roll @ 14%
3rd Roll @ 3%
No Crit @ 58%

I'll use the AC/10 as an example because it's an easy damage number with which to work.

If you score a single crit, then you deal 10 points of bonus damage to your enemy's internals. For doubles, it's 10-10, and for triples, it's 10-10-10. The reason why I wrote them that way instead of "20" and "30" is because it behaves like three separate rolls.

Now, translate this to SRMs. SRMs deal damage per missile. Each missile has the same crit chances as that single AC/10 round. We'll use the SRM4 as our benchmark. A single launcher deals 8.6 damage, max. That means that each missile deals 2.15 damage.

Let's say that you get a triple crit with a single missile. That's 2.15 damage dealt initially, and then 2.15-2.15-2.15 from the crit rolls. The grand total damage dealt is then 8.6 damage from a single missile, with 6.45 being to a single internal component and the base 2.15 being dealt to the structure. If it destroys the component, then the damage stops being dealt, regardless of how much is leftover (i.e. - it does not transfer to another component).

Now, I said that the base 2.15 is dealt to the structure and the 6.45 is dealt to the component (HS, weapon, ammo, ECM, BAP, etc.). However, a small percentage of that 6.45 (I'm not sure of the exact number) is dealt to the structure health on top of the base 2.15. The formula would look like this:

Damage dealt to structure from a single SRM = 2.15 + (Total crit damage x Percentage)

If all 4 SRMs landed in the same Paper Doll Component, then the total damage dealt would be 8.6 + a percentage of whatever crits were dealt.

Now, let's look at the High Explosive Skill.

High Explosive has two nodes, each worth 7.5% for a total of 15% possible. If you read the tool tip, it states that the skill increases the damage dealt from a critical hit. Let's turn that back on our previous example.

Remember, we had a single SRM score a triple hit. That means that the total crit was 6.45 damage in the form of 2.15-2.15-2.15. If you unlock both of the High Explosive Skills, then that applies a 15% modifier to your triple crit roll. The formula looks like this:

Crit Damage Dealt = [(2.15*0.15)+2.15] + [(2.15*0.15)+2.15] + [(2.15*0.15)+2.15]

...And you never thought you would use math after High School, right? Posted Image

Anyways, the total damage that could be dealt for a triple dice roll, using the formula above, is 7.42, rounded. Note that it's the same as if you simply took the 6.45 and added 15% to it.

This means that, for a single SRM missile with a triple crit, you gain and extra 0.97 points of damage. A single crit would yield 2.47 points of crit damage for a bonus amount of 0.32.

That sounds underwhelming for a skill that costs so many nodes. However, keep in mind that its real power is in stack.

I have a Timber Wolf with 4x SRM4s. Remember that the chance to roll a single crit is 25% every time. That's one in 4 missiles. If I have 4x SRM4s, then that means a single alpha strike has 16 missiles. If I use Artemis and am close to my target, then most of those missiles will strike the same component. If my enemy already has all three torsos exposed, then I'm virtually guaranteed crits. Simply put, out of 16 SRMs, at 25% for a single crit, then that means I am likely going to score 4, single crit rolls. Then there are the second crit rolls to consider. Since second crits have a 14% chance of rolling successfully, I am likely to score at least one, possibly two double crits.

Let's assume I score four single crits and one double crit with a 15% modifier from High Explosives. That means I have the following:

2.15, 2.15, 2.15, 2.15-2.15

The last numbers represent the double crit roll. The High Explosive modifier would change them to be

2.47, 2.47, 2.47, 2.47-2.47

If I sum them to see what the total possible damage dealt would be, then it comes to 12.35.

Compare this to the un-modified crits, and see that the un-modified damage would be 10.75.

That's a difference of 1.6 damage points.

Now, since the crit chance is 25% for every missile, your rolls could be fickle. You may have bad RNG and not score any crits. You may have good RNG and score 8 or 10 crits. For LRMs, considering the massed amounts that can be fired, the stacking damage from the High Explosive Skill can grow very quickly.

So, all that to say, High Explosive is a nice skill to gain a mild damage bonus for your missiles. The more missiles, the greater it stacks and the more potent it becomes. Keep in mind that most components have between 3 and 5 health, with some having additional health. Also bear in mind that a small percentage of your crit damage is transferred to the internal structure health, so High Explosive also bolsters the damage you do against the enemy's remaining hit points, in addition to his individual components.

Whether or not the amount of skill nodes needed to unlock both High Explosive Skills are worth the investment is entirely up to you. I personally don't recommend it unless you have at least four launchers.

Also, as one final thought, keep in mind that Hardened Casing in the Survival Tree can reduce the chance for incoming crits. Just by spending a few points on the right side of the tree, it's pretty easy to pick up about an 8% reduction. You'll have to take that into account when planning on whether to purchase High Explosive or not, since HE does not increase the crit chance; it only increases the damage crits deal.

Hope this helps! Posted Image

Edited by Nightmare1, 17 July 2017 - 05:45 AM.

#28 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:59 AM

I might suggest thee. ... thee absolute best thing you could do is get a clear working microphone and a good headset. Since this game is completely dependent around teamwork clear communication with your team is a must

You will go much further if you're able to communicate

I might suggest thee. ... thee absolute best thing you could do is get a clear working microphone and a good headset. Since this game is completely dependent around teamwork clear communication with your team is a must

You will go much further if you're able to communicate taking time to type out commands and requests will literally take seconds off of your life

#29 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:00 AM

View PostBurnin2nd, on 21 May 2017 - 06:58 AM, said:

You will go much further if you're able to communicate

Definitely something of which the new players aren't always aware.

I'm partial to this one:

https://www.amazon.c...ogitech+headset

It's a bit on the cheap side, but you can find it on sale occasionally for about $25. It functions well enough.

#30 762 NATO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 312 posts
  • LocationUnder the desk of the Magestrix of Canopus

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:35 AM

A bump for my bud and a good thread he is maintaining.

Cheers!

#31 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:53 AM

View Post762 NATO, on 21 May 2017 - 07:35 AM, said:

A bump for my bud and a good thread he is maintaining.

Cheers!

Thanks Nato! :D

#32 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:10 PM

For those interested, here's a write-up comparing the economics of the two Skill Trees (Old and New):
https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__5753060

#33 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:10 PM

Regarding Sensors and such under the new tree (repost from another thread):

1) Cyclops Sensor Boost
2) Beagle Active Probe
3) Tag
4) Narc
5) Artimes
6) Command Console
7) Targeting Comp, MK I ,to MK VII
If I missed any thing. Please let me know.

Regarding TAG, BAP, CAP, and Artemis, there are these two posts:

http://steamcommunit...817208484594752

http://steamcommunit...817208484600081

Now, as for the rest:

1) This provides a team-wide buff to your max sensor range. Instead of 800 meters being your range, now you can pick up enemies farther out. I forget how much of a modifier the buff is though. I want to say that it boosts you out to 1,000 meters, but I can't recall exactly. Think of it like a passive, max-sensor-range buff for the whole team until the Mech is killed.

6) Command Consoles are IS only and aren't worth much on the battle field despite their high cost and tonnage. They basically only boost your sensor range by a small amount (similar effect as the Cyclops buff), while also boosting your zoom range and your Target Info Gathering. I had stated that it also buffs your lock-on speed, but after double-checking the stats, realized that this statement is incorrect. Command Consoles do not buff your lock on speed whatsoever.

7) Targeting Computers are basically the Clan version of the Command Console, except that they come in different sizes and with better, added effects. In addition to doing all the things that the IS Command Console does, they also boost the velocity of projectile weapons (including PPCs), boost the max and long ranges of your energy weapons, and also boost the crit chance of your weapons (except for crit chances on Gauss and LBX, if memory serves correctly).

You can read more about them from PGI's official release post on the official MWO forums here: https://mwomercs.com...nsole-feedback/

*Clan and IS is generally similar, with Clan Tech being better overall at the cost of health.

*That video is pretty good. The module parts no longer apply since all modules have been removed from the game, but I would say that everything else in it is fairly useful and sound. I would add in that switching to "Counter" on your ECM is a good way to sneak up on an enemy Mech when you need to cover that last 100 meters. Since ECM affects enemies at 90 meters by jamming their sensors, you can tip your enemy off that you're stalking him by getting too close. You have to weigh whether the risk of being detected by switching it to Counter is worth countering the risk of getting too close and having your enemy detect it while it's switching to Jam.

*Yes, the Skill Tree has a Sensor tree in it that contains a lot of skills derived from the old sensor modules. You can get Target Decay which increases the amount of time you can keep a target locked after you lose Line of Sight (LoS) on it, Target Info Gathering, which speeds up the information-gathering process from scanning Mechs, Sensor Range which boosts the maximum range at which you can scan Mechs, and Target Retention which lets you maintain your targeting information on a Mech that has slipped behind you, as well as other unique skills.

Enhanced Zoom behaves the same way that the Enhanced Zoom module did, and grants you a 4x Zoom scope (this can be buffed by Zoom enhancing items like the Targeting Computers).

Radar Deprivation decreases the amount of time that an enemy can keep you locked after you break his LoS.

Radar Deprivation and Target Decay counter each other.

Under the old Skill Tree as modules, Radar Deprivation would be worth three seconds of lock time (basically, instantly killing your enemy's lock when you broke LoS) while Advanced Target Decay would extend the enemy's lock to 3.5 seconds. They would cancel out and leave your enemy with a 0.5 second lock on time after you broke LoS with him.

Under the new Skill Tree, they behave as follows:

If your lock on time is 3 seconds, and you purchase 3 Target Decays at 0.7 seconds each, then it would boost your lock on time after losing LoS up to 5.1 seconds. If your enemy has Radar Deprivation 1 unlocked, then he counters that with a 20% reduction to your lock on time after breaking LoS with him. This is what happens:

Time Locked After Breaking LoS = (Base Lock Time + Target Decay x3) - [(Base Lock Time + Target Decay x3) * Radar Deprivation Percentage]

Time Locked After Breaking LoS = [3 + (0.7*3)] - ([(3 + (0.7*3)] *0.20)

Time Locked After Breaking LoS = 4.08 seconds

Radar Deprivation can be unlocked up to 100%, which would mean that it acts as a full counter to whatever lock buffs your enemy has as soon as you break LoS with him. The only exceptions would be if you are under the effects of a Narc Beacon or a UAV.

Keep in mind that if another enemy has you locked, that the enemy with which you broke LoS can still lock onto you indirectly.

At 1:07:50 we begin discussing the Sensor Tree:

Discussion continued from the start of the second video:

*See the information written in the video description for details from the missing audio segment.

Hope this helps! Posted Image

Full, official PGI write-up regarding Targeting Computers and Command Consoles:

https://mwomercs.com...nsole-feedback/

#34 AJBennett

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 165 posts
  • Location...the psychotic chihuahua chewing on your leg!

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:38 AM

Thanks for the info Nightmare, it was very insightful and useful to a new guy like me. Posted Image

...and a bump as well.

#35 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:41 AM

View PostAJBennet, on 17 July 2017 - 05:38 AM, said:

Thanks for the info Nightmare, it was very insightful and useful to a new guy like me. Posted Image

...and a bump as well.

You're very welcome! I'm glad it was helpful! :)

If you ever need any help, feel free to ask questions here on this thread, or to make a new thread in the same forum. There are a lot of pilots who are eager to help new players learn the game.

#36 Hottodoggu

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:49 AM

So like, to even begin playing this game I need to look through this novel's worth of information? Isn't this asking a tad much of a new person trying to play the game? Doesn't one think that, perhaps, needing to get through this much stuff could possibly drive players away? Just a hunch.

#37 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:06 AM

View PostHottodoggu, on 11 August 2017 - 04:49 AM, said:

So like, to even begin playing this game I need to look through this novel's worth of information? Isn't this asking a tad much of a new person trying to play the game? Doesn't one think that, perhaps, needing to get through this much stuff could possibly drive players away? Just a hunch.

Not really.

It's more of a resource. Ever seen instruction manuals for games? When have you sat down and read through the whole thing? Almost never before you begin playing. Most just take a peek when they need to find something out.

Figure that thing out and move on. It's not like it contains the plot or anything, so it's a resource to peek at when say, you want to get into faction warfare... there's a section on it.

Wanna buy your first mech, well there's a section on it (most just ask in the new player section).

Get hit by a wall saying you're only allowed to have X weight class.... what the heck is a weight class?
Welp there's a section for it.

#38 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:03 PM

View PostHottodoggu, on 11 August 2017 - 04:49 AM, said:

Not at all - it's just a reference for when you get stuck. Most people wouldn't even know it exists since they just jump into the game and play immediately.

That being said, there is a significant amount of player-generated materials on these forums designed to help new Pilots. All I did was compile them into a library of sorts to make finding information easier. It's merely to help you locate the necessary information so that you don't have to kill lots of time running Google searches (especially since the forum search feature doesn't work very well!).

#39 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:39 PM

The OP has been updated with modern information for Faction Warfare. It has also been updated with Spoilers so that it does not appear quite so daunting, as well as to help players find the information categories faster.

#40 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 01:16 PM

View PostNightmare1, on 11 August 2017 - 12:39 PM, said:

The OP has been updated with modern information for Faction Warfare. It has also been updated with Spoilers so that it does not appear quite so daunting, as well as to help players find the information categories faster.

Your sig image needs a new host. Photobucket's doing this big cashgrab for third party viewing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users