#21 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:37 AM

View PostDave Forsey, on 27 February 2017 - 09:24 AM, said:

Lots of good ideas here, however the issue has never been about good ideas - it's about time, cost and priorities.

Adding a multi-player tutorial for any gamemode is roughly equivalent (and I may be stretching things a bit here to make a point) to building an entire mobile game app - and there are other things the game needs more urgently (and please don't start discussing that here! Thank you!) It's a huge amount of work for, depending on the actual issue, for an uncertain benefit to the population as a whole.

My own "Good Idea" ™ (which is hardly original) would have a help button on every screen that linked to a list of short video explanations. (Click the button to highlight everything on the screen with help - right click for a list of tutorials)

Videos are cheap and easy to make (and we could leverage the community to help fill any gaps) and easy to change and improve.

As a new player, I think this is a great idea. In MW2, there were various challenges, 1v1, 1v2, 2v2, etc. While fairly simple scenarios, you wouldn't have to build all that, maybe just have Capt. Adams run around while you try to shoot him, and he shoots back, the hits/misses could be tracked without actually damaging the mechs at first, progressing to full damage done after a few tries. I'm not a programmer so I have no idea how much work this would entail, and it looks like you chaps already have a few things on your plate at the moment...Posted Image

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#22 AnimeFreak40K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 455 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSomewhere between the State of Confusion and the State of Insanity.

Posted 01 May 2017 - 05:47 PM

View Posttesthero, on 01 May 2017 - 05:33 AM, said:

Perhaps a Wiki would help

Then the players could edit the entries and update as changes occur.

Something like this?

#23 SeaDaddy

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 14 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:31 PM

View PostAnimeFreak40K, on 01 May 2017 - 05:47 PM, said:

Something like this?

I forgot about this page! I should have recommended it to some friends recently. It may be time for Daren and Phil to do an update though, the tutorial is from 2012. Still good though.

#24 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:26 AM

View PostSeaDaddy, on 09 May 2017 - 04:31 PM, said:

I forgot about this page! I should have recommended it to some friends recently. It may be time for Daren and Phil to do an update though, the tutorial is from 2012. Still good though.

I just tried to update some stuff on there, but I could not find a way to update the (4 years out of date) values for some of the weapons on the weapons chart.

I was able to put some limited information on my units wiki page but it would not allow me to put links in there saying there was an error with a new user (I registered today) putting links onto the page

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 10 May 2017 - 11:28 AM.

#25 Commander A9

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:18 PM

There should be at least some kind of mention from Captain Adams that warns you about Community Warfare for the untrained.

Hell, when you boot up Mechwarrior Online for the first time, the Mechwarrior Academy should AUTOMATICALLY play-as in, you shouldn't be able to even access the Mech Lab UNTIL you complete the Mechwarrior Academy.

#26 xXJ35T3RXx

• PipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:45 PM

View PostHumpday, on 16 February 2017 - 09:56 AM, said:

I'm new to this and already I see so many posts about how n00bs dont' know how to play the different modes...well who's fault is that?

...if you're not taught in the academy how are you suppose to know. Not everyone(most people) wants to sit there and google crap about a videogame, its a tutorial, TUTOR. Simple things like what the heck are Alpha and Beta for in conquest. I got my butt chewed out by some cranky dude for blowing one up not really knowing at the time what it was for.

that is all.

The rules for each game mode are posted in the Loading screen no? So why would there be a need for a forced tutorial? If you can't figure out why blowing up the enemy Alpha at the 59 second mark was pointless, I can't help you and neither can a tutorial.

Edited by xXJ35T3RXx, 03 June 2017 - 09:07 PM.

#27 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:08 PM

View PostxXJ35T3RXx, on 03 June 2017 - 08:45 PM, said:

The rules for each game mode are posted in the Loading screen no? So why would there be a need for a forced tutorial? It's simple, don't recruit that player because they don't have common sense. if you can't figure out why blowing up Alpha at the 59 second mark was pointless, I can't help you and neither can a tutorial.

More information that is easier to access is always a good thing. A quick "game mode tutorial" that you can select to run (among other ideas) wouldn't be a bad thing.

The splash screen normally only tells one so much. There is a difference between a splash screen info tidbit, and actually being told what it does and how things operate. The info screen, for example, doesn't tell you that when you destroy the generators for Domination, that the time it adds doesn't exceed the original starting max timer. That's something you either need to discover on your own, be told by someone else... or have mentioned specifically in an optional tutorial (just as an example).

#28 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:52 AM

The simplest way would be to make an "official" youtube video play list with an explanation for each game type, about 30 seconds for each type describing how to achieve the primary objective, pointing out any points of interest, how to destroy things like gate and omega gens. This could even be supplemented with very generic advice about the most common tactics used and emphasize team work and communication as the key to victory.

We know that they don't have the time or resources to spend on the tutorial right now so the most efficient thing that can be done is to create an in game link to a tutorial playlist .

#29 Gazbeard

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 65 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPSR Tier 6

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:48 AM

**snip**.

My own "Good Idea" ™ (which is hardly original) would have a help button on every screen that linked to a list of short video explanations. (Click the button to highlight everything on the screen with help - right click for a list of tutorials)

Videos are cheap and easy to make (and we could leverage the community to help fill any gaps) and easy to change and improve.

This is why you need a PROPER registered community contributor program with a referral/affiliate system to incentivise content creators to get on board and make those videos for you.

#30 Tier5ForLife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 481 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:20 PM

I semi-started to do one of my own and someone that plays a lot of Faction Warfare should.

I do not have a great PC and someone with a better one could do a better job. I used to have a fair amount of videos but I deleted them.

But here is/was my idea and I think it is 100% doable. Just record a lot of games. Then find moments when players are doing things right as a team, make a clip of it and explain why they are moving like they are moving (Conga line).

And show when players are doing the wrong thing. And compare them using audio or text. If I could almost do it, then 100 pluses players should really be able to do it.

This is how you take down a gate on this map. And this is how you do not do it.

And a better version could be added when possible. Find 24 players, put them into a match and then record it as a spectator.

And/or have them show what to do. "Now, team A will show you where to move on this map".

I did this with Madden NFL and I'm sure a lot of players could do it for MWO.

Stop saying what should be done and do it yourself.

#31 Sneaky Ohgoorchik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 147 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 06:43 AM

Lots of good ideas here, however the issue has never been about good ideas - it's about time, cost and priorities.

Adding a multi-player tutorial for any gamemode is roughly equivalent (and I may be stretching things a bit here to make a point) to building an entire mobile game app

Adding is not reverting. It do add value.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users