65 replies to this topic

#21 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:14 AM

We are obviously in very good hands on the factual fiction front.

#22 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:15 AM

MWO: What House would you pledge allegiance too, or are you a Mercenary?
RB: House Kurita. Something about the honorable samurai standing against a horde of enemies—even when his master’s betrayed him—that has always captured my imagination. Not to mention Heir to the Dragon remains one of my all-time favorite BattleTech novels, so I’m sure that colored my perception right at the start of my BattleTech experiences.

DIAF SNAKE! :P

I mean, great interview! I really hope they put in Orbital Insertions. That'd be a heck of a visual treat that hasn't been seen before. And your comments on jump jets were right on the mark.

I don't know who gave Rasalhague the love in the later years with the whole Ghost Bear/Rasalhague Dominion, but I'll give you credit and say thanks. :P

#23 GaussDragon

• 2,183 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:42 AM

I really liked how meaty that interview was, it's nice to get some insight into the people making a game you're anticipating so much. I like how we got a lot insight as to who he was too, he was telling his own, real-life story, which is fascinating. The things that really stuck out at me were the following:

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 14 December 2011 - 10:00 AM, said:

Now that can be a two-way street. For example Piranha might ask me for a list of BattleMechs that would be most appropriate to start the game with based upon the Era they’re looking at. I then generate that list and include a set of criteria for why I chose the list, so they can review and push back if they have in-game reasons for X or Y choice that might not be on my list.

A purist and a professional. To all yee TRO jockeys/purists, this man is a sage. He knoweth where the balance between canon and pragmatism lies.

It should be the skill of the pilot, not of the BattleMech and its computers that makes the difference.

I couldn't agree more. Though this could be interpreted many ways, I'm going to believe that in the context of a computer game, this is in favour of things like pinpoint accuracy over dice rolls or 'spreading'.

Awesome post!

#24 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:11 PM

View PostGaussDragon, on 14 December 2011 - 11:42 AM, said:

I couldn't agree more. Though this could be interpreted many ways, I'm going to believe that in the context of a computer game, this is in favour of things like pinpoint accuracy over dice rolls or 'spreading'.

Awesome post!

Given the above under the proper context I would argue it says exactly the opposite. here is the full quote for clarity. He was asked about Rules not well implemented in previous MW games.

"In previous games a big assault ’Mech with nothing but long-range missiles could be one of the most powerful units in the game. LRMs absolutely have their place, but the lock, fire and forget vibe of previous games introduced an element that’s very rare in BattleTech. It should be the skill of the pilot, not of the BattleMech and its computers that makes the difference."

I decipher it as LRM's are not Cruise Missiles guided by orbital satellites in BT and never were until MW (insert value here)

Why would other weapons systems be treated differently as far as how BT does them (within reason of course)

P.S. I am interpreting so please relax if your undies seem to be suddenly bunching... thanks

#25 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:23 PM

I'm surprised nobody picked this up yet.

How many of the MechWarrior Video games have you worked on?

I’ve had various levels of involvement with, if I remember correctly, half a dozen different BattleTech computer games of various types (including those I’m working on now).

Including THOSE I'm working on now?!?

(klaxon alarms goin off)

Reaaaaaaaaally?

#26 GrimJim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationPottery Barn, $120 richer than my fellow Founders

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:27 PM

MMMmmmmm.... Banshee. My favorite too for the past 20 odd years.

Its fantastic to see your opponents face when you take him out with a 'Mech as ****-poor (3E) or insanely powerful (3S/4S) as the Banshee.

Eager to see what Alex comes up with for it, it has not fared well in the art department since inception (though I like what Justin Nelson did with Kevin Long's take in the Steiner XTRO.)

#27 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:39 PM

View PostMason Grimm, on 14 December 2011 - 12:23 PM, said:

(klaxon alarms goin off)

Reaaaaaaaaally?

Dang! I missed that, good catch! I wondered if he was involved in Shadowrun Online at all too.

#28 Brakkyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:40 PM

I like what I read.

Also, that BNC-3S Banshee is a monster.

Edited by Brakkyn, 14 December 2011 - 12:46 PM.

#29 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:51 PM

(klaxon alarms goin off)

Reaaaaaaaaally?

Mechwarrior: Tactical Command would be my guess. Fingers crossed it comes out for more than the dang iOS.

Press release. Huh, Singapore.

Gamers can anticipate the upcoming release due to the partnership formed between Personae Studios, and Smith & Tinker in 2009. Other collaborative partners include Catalyst Game Labs; publishers of the BattleTech table-top games. Loren L. Coleman and Randall N. Bills, writers of numerous novels set in the BattleTech / MechWarrior universe, were the chosen scriptwriters for the game’s storyline set in the game period of 3050.

Edited by Dihm, 14 December 2011 - 12:53 PM.

#30 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:08 PM

I'm afraid I, and many of us, owe the staff of PGI a heart-felt apology, for many and various things.

Mr. Bills, and PGI staff, this interview made me feel awesome, full-on robot chubby style, and I'm grateful for the interview. I am so very glad to hear the faithfulness that's being put into this game for the tabletop version, without sacrificing fun, hopefully enhancing it for all. You and I got a very similar start, matter of fact, and are kindred spirits in that regard. Much of what you said in the article is what got me into BattleTech, as well, especially at the beginning with the show-that-shall-not-be-named, hehe. You were in the right places at the right times, and were able to get close, and all I can say is, bully for you, man. Well done.

I, too, want the orbital insertions, desperately... pretty please with whipped cream and a cherry on top?! :P

#31 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:50 PM

(klaxon alarms goin off)

Reaaaaaaaaally?

I think that's a reference to the ios games.

http://www.mechwarriortc.com/

View PostDihm, on 14 December 2011 - 12:51 PM, said:

Mechwarrior: Tactical Command would be my guess. Fingers crossed it comes out for more than the dang iOS.

Press release. Huh, Singapore.

Aaaaaand beat me to it. Well played, Dihm. :P

Edited by Hayden, 14 December 2011 - 01:50 PM.

#32 Alistair Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 516 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:51 PM

UGH. I want that BattleTechnology magazine. Man, I wish I knew about this stuff back when I was younger. Sure, I found it in 2000, but seeing how rich things were before... >.<

#33 KingCobra

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:52 PM

Following MR.Randall Bills work all these years and knowing the care and reverence he has for Battletech and his proffesional attatude this game has just became a +10 on my excitement meter. :P

#34 Kell Aset

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:04 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 14 December 2011 - 10:00 AM, said:

MWO: Is there any part of one of the books you’d love to see re-enacted in MechWarrior Online?
2. Physical attacks. Yes, even in the fiction and board games they’re not as effective as weapons fire. But there’s a visceral feel to punching a BattleMech, or chopping at one with a hatchet, or charging/Death From Above that’s just awesome when you land it.

Melee combat in MWO, yes plz :P .

#35 Bophades

• PipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 53 posts
  • LocationAlshain Station, Snowbird Tavern. Draconis Combine

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:37 PM

Gimme that mug! How bad *** is that?! A coffie mug with the House Kurita crest?! BAD ***!

Seriously, its so awesome to hear one of my favorite BattleTech writers is down with the Dragon. And to find out he's just a big a geek as the rest of us when it comes to this game amost makes me tear up.

Awesome interview.

#36 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:46 PM

View PostAlistair Steiner, on 14 December 2011 - 01:51 PM, said:

UGH. I want that BattleTechnology magazine. Man, I wish I knew about this stuff back when I was younger. Sure, I found it in 2000, but seeing how rich things were before... >.<
You know what would be really nice? If Sword of the Knight Publications would rework and re-release, for free, the BattleTechnology Mags of old, in PDF format, and then continue on with them... that would rock on toast.

Hey, how many of you guys still have your MechForce: North America dog tag? MechWarrior Service #: 2979

#37 mekabuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:18 PM

great interview. !!
Story<enviroment> immersion looks to be no problemo with this gent overseeing things.
I really hope cry eng 3 is as good as we all hope.
I am DYING to hear from an animator.
we know the art is gonna be darn good at the least,its bringing it to life with animation thats the tough nut.
please !!!! let the animators be as kick .a.......r...s..e as every one else involved

Edited by mekabuser, 14 December 2011 - 03:19 PM.

#38 Todd O Connor

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationLivonia Michigan

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:01 PM

I just love when developers are huge fan-boys themselves this game is definitely in good hands great interview!

Todd O'Connor
11th Atrean Dragoons
Duchy of Oriente
14 December 3048

#39 BlueDog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:52 PM

Great interview. It's reassuring and encouraging to see that someone with such a long-standing professional dedication to the BT lore is in charge of continuity for MWO. With each one of these Wednesday treats, I feel more assured that this game is gonna be freakin awesome.

#40 Karn Evil

• PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:07 PM

Well, the whole idea abouthow the Clans should fight is interesting, and sounds a lot like how I would prefer to fight in this game, actually. If Clan weapons lose their range advantage, I won't be all that put-out about it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users