General

48 replies to this topic

#41 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 06:33 AM

Been experimenting with assaults lately, in the hope if I can revive the glory days of my assault piloting in the earlier days of this game.

I take my old favorite IS assaults and discover how quickly they get vaporized now. I can't blame assault pilots for laying back. Its a natural consequence of this game's poorly envisioned, poorly directed power creep. I can survive longer on a faster, far more mobile mech.

As for heavies, there seems to be two categories. One really acts just like a more powerful medium mech, like the Hellbringer or Quickdraw. And the other acts more like a light assault, like the Orions. The light assaults bear the same vulnerabilities of the true assaults, only they vaporize faster. The "enhanced mediums" on the other hand, rely more on their mobility to survive and cannot be counted on to soak or tank damage. I for one don't even think the "heavy" category should not exist any longer, and by de facto effects, mediums should really be extended to 65 tons, and assaults extended downwards to 70 tons.

I should not even bother trying to make assaults work. I get my better results now on light heavies being played more like mediums, as well as the "super mediums" (aka 55 ton group).

Its funny when I read these comments and complaints. In World of Warships, players are complaining about battleships hanging back, and the reason for that is the dominance of the smaller ships, the destroyers in particular, for their speed and stealth. Sounds familiar?

Don't blame pilots when the game developers have screwed up the game's "meta".

#42 Catra Lanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 26 February 2017 - 06:34 AM

View PostBattlemaster56, on 26 February 2017 - 06:11 AM, said:

Most my Assault builds are best within the range of 200-630m, and I know assaults don't have enough armor against focus'd fire same said to pretty much every mech in this game. If I see assault in the back with weapons and armor that could be used to hold the firing line or for a strong push is wasted firepower and weight. I played assaults long enough to know their strength and weaknesses. Seeing a assault lead the charge tend to get people to follow said assault, but seeing them hang back in brawler builds in huge sniper maps they are useless 90% of the time. You can hide like a coward all you want but you wasting my time and the team while you cower through out the peek poke warrior 2k17 addition with poptarts.
No I want that fire power that heavies and assaults have to be used not wasted standing idle by or firing their weapons at max range. And if I ever fine you in the back wasting that armor and fire power I'll "encourage" you to help out the team. I dn't care you care even one damn bit you have an xl so what I care that you provide back if you expect mediums and lights holding the position while you cower from get shot at. In a game where you get shot at regardless.

And this thread not about IS fragile XL engine, it about the cowardness of players in the meaty mechs while players in mediums and lights trying to hold the position we can take advantage or set up a push.

Sorry I'm not going to lead an assault in my XL Victor when I see a bunch of Macintosh mechs like a Marauder and a Kodiak staring me down. I'll do it only if I think I have a realistic chance of doing some damage before getting cut down.

Edited by Catra Lanis, 26 February 2017 - 06:36 AM.

#43 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:00 AM

View PostCatra Lanis, on 26 February 2017 - 06:34 AM, said:

Sorry I'm not going to lead an assault in my XL Victor when I see a bunch of Macintosh mechs like a Marauder and a Kodiak staring me down. I'll do it only if I think I have a realistic chance of doing some damage before getting cut down.

Then have fun getting gangbang when they push up on the team when the a chance opening closes to strike at em, but I digress from seeing cowards on the field.

#44 knight-of-ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:49 AM

Yep, I hear you. Your chances of your PUG teammates going full re tard are quite good, regardless of what tier you happen to be in.

When I drop into the PUG queue, I mentally prepare myself for all possible forms of stupid imaginable.

I expect Larry, Moe, and Curly to be on my team, rather than the other team:

Posted Image

Am I saying that I really think everyone on the team is terrible, except me? Certainly not.

However, by mentally preparing oneself for the real possibility of questionable tactics, it makes the bad matches feel more acceptable and the good matches all the sweeter.... you know, those matches, where your teammates turn out to be quite good:

Posted Image

Edited by knnniggett, 26 February 2017 - 09:52 AM.

#45 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 02:24 PM

View PostBattlemaster56, on 26 February 2017 - 01:55 AM, said:

I rather them to half a shred of common sense while setting up at a better position, and using that for our advantage them be selffish and use my team as nothing as dumb ai, if I want that I go on my ps4 and play dbxv2 and do parrel quest.

Sadly, you simply can't count on teammates having any shreds of common sense in the solo queue.

If you want to carry teams, you have to expect your teammates to do stupid things that will force you to carry them, and adapt your play accordingly.

#46 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 26 February 2017 - 04:04 PM

View PostBattlemaster56, on 26 February 2017 - 12:40 AM, said:

I AM SO CLOSE OF ACTUALLY KILLING HALF MY COWARDLY TEAM IN A MATCH JUST TO GET RESULTS.

great idea, kill 6 Mechs, loose the match (because as competant as you may believe yourself to be you are not good enough to compensate for 6 dead players), making 0 cbills or XP due to the damage and teamkill penaltles, then be unable to drop for the next 4 hours due to 12 penalties (6+ for team damage, 6 for teamkilling) and rejoice in the 23 reports you would recieve, repeat a few times and you would have received enough reports for a short term ban, do it again and probably receive a perminant ban.

enjoy

#47 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 06:54 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 26 February 2017 - 04:04 PM, said:

great idea, kill 6 Mechs, loose the match (because as competant as you may believe yourself to be you are not good enough to compensate for 6 dead players), making 0 cbills or XP due to the damage and teamkill penaltles, then be unable to drop for the next 4 hours due to 12 penalties (6+ for team damage, 6 for teamkilling) and rejoice in the 23 reports you would recieve, repeat a few times and you would have received enough reports for a short term ban, do it again and probably receive a perminant ban.

enjoy

Whatever affe

#48 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 06:57 PM

View PostZergling, on 26 February 2017 - 02:24 PM, said:

Sadly, you simply can't count on teammates having any shreds of common sense in the solo queue.

If you want to carry teams, you have to expect your teammates to do stupid things that will force you to carry them, and adapt your play accordingly.

Can't carry if they're so incompetent, especially when I'm trying level my mechs. Well if want a somewhat enjoyable I'll play my mastered Timberwolves til I'll get bored of this game.

#49 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:31 PM

View PostBattlemaster56, on 26 February 2017 - 06:57 PM, said:

Can't carry if they're so incompetent, especially when I'm trying level my mechs. Well if want a somewhat enjoyable I'll play my mastered Timberwolves til I'll get bored of this game.

While one player certainly can't beat 12 enemies alone, they can cause enough of a positive impact to make up for teammate incompetence and cause a battle that would have resulted in a loss to become a win.

Stupid teammates can't be fixed, so coming up with ways to mitigate the harm they cause is one way to produce wins.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users