#1 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 01 March 2017 - 04:13 PM

In celebration of seeing the "little Urbie who could" come to life, I wanted to create a contest, in conjunction with PGI to celebrate the little guy, now official to MWO as the UM-K9 "K-9" Urbanmech Hero.
Posted Image
(Note, the mech pictured above has been modified to more closely resemble original concept art, and does not reflect the actual finished geometry and paint selection of the UM-K9 Hero Mech)

This will be a three way contest, for Fan Fiction, and both Digital and Traditional Art.

This is the Entry Thread for FAN FICTION ONLY.

By Fan Fiction, I mean TRO write ups, historical, actual short story, etc

All entries must be new and original, created especially for the sake of this contest. The Winner in each category will be gifted a shiny new UM-K9 "K-9" Urbanmech Hero. (dunno if there should be anything like MC, premium time, etc for 2nd/3rd place, or if it's an all or nothing type of party?)

For the fictional background informational aspect, a few details of the mysterious Urbanmech come to be known as the Deputy Dawg...er.... K-9.............. Posted Image

Spoiler

PRIZES:
1st Place: K9 Hero Mech
2nd Place MC Injection (1250 MC)
3rd place: Cockpit Item or Color of Choice

Winners will be decided by a Panel of PGI Judges, our Community Manager, Tina, and Myself!

This is all in good fun, of course, but I wanted some way of saying THANK YOU to all the members of the community who helped me get first the Urbanmech, and finally, my beloved Hero, into this game! And an extra special Thank you, to PGI, not only for bringing my Deputy Dawg to life, but supporting this contest, also!

Oops! I forgot! Contest ends 11:59pm EST, March 15th, 2017, after which we will judge and post winners hopefully soon after!

*********ENTRIES to Date************

1) -RoKeNx2-

https://docs.google....Z5GAWfcCcg/edit

Spoiler

2) -Barantor-

https://docs.google....TRpZaqojb0/edit

3) -Cato Zilks-

Spoiler

4) -Thomster-

https://drive.google...GhjR2VMU2c/view

5) -orcrist86-

https://www.dropbox....ction.docx?dl=0

6) -MarksmanKNG-

https://drive.google...UhIdjV1SGc/view

7) -TSUREAI-

this is an entry I was PM'd by a community member who apparently has not finished their Cadet Matches yet, and as such, cannot post to the Forums, apparently. I have sent a message to Tina to get some clarification/direction, but have not heard back as yet.

https://mwomercs.com...671226-tsureai/

https://docs.google....yIjpJR8Hck/edit

Spoiler

8) -Metus regem-

Spoiler

..... more to come?

****EDIT****

I'm extending the Deadline. Not by choice, but necessity. Apparently Tina had to be out of town for the last couple of weeks, and won't be returning until Monday. I am trying to work the situation out with another Dev at this time, but because of his other responsibilities, I don't believe he has had time to get fully caught up. So until I know what is going on ( I am only one of the judges on the panel, and do not have the power to bequeath the prizes), I will have to extend the deadline. At this time I am extending it tentatively by 48 hours until 11:59 pm EST, March 17th, 2017, but it may extend longer depending on what is decided. I apologize for the confusion and thank you for your patience. If you have any more polishing on your arts, stories, etc, feel free to continue.

****************and the Winners are!**************************

Fan Fiction:
-1st Place: Orcrist
-2nd Place: Barantor
-3rd Place: Thomster

Thank you again to PGI and Tina and the various judges for making this possible... and to all the entrants who posted their creativity! And congratulations to our winners! Any problems with injections, please let me Tina know...and if our third place winners could contact Tina and let her know your choice of Color or Cockpit Item, she'll get those injected to your accounts! Thank you again!

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 28 March 2017 - 05:11 PM.

#2 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 01 March 2017 - 04:57 PM

I don't know places or factions that well enough. I mean when you say Hsien, Zhi-Chiang, Chaos March, 4th Succession War, -- dafuq are those? Are those really necessary?

#3 VoodooLou Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 595 posts
  • LocationMember #2618

Posted 01 March 2017 - 05:01 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 01 March 2017 - 04:57 PM, said:

I don't know places or factions that well enough. I mean when you say Hsien, Zhi-Chiang, Chaos March, 4th Succession War, -- dafuq are those? Are those really necessary?

Its FanFic so yes, its really necessary. Surprised you didnt ask what a TRO was.

#4 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 01 March 2017 - 05:04 PM

View PostVoodooLou Kerensky, on 01 March 2017 - 05:01 PM, said:

Its FanFic so yes, its really necessary. Surprised you didnt ask what a TRO was.

Tamils Rehabilitation Organisation?

Yeah i, it would be nice to join, buuut i'm just going to make a fool of myself. It'd probably going to be another Yuna Cassel stroke of genius. Posted Image

I bought my own already K9 anyways.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 01 March 2017 - 05:05 PM.

#5 Barantor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 01 March 2017 - 05:36 PM

When must entries be submitted by?

#6 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 01 March 2017 - 05:40 PM

Count me in!

PS: do I need to write the story of Frederick Steiner's nephew, or can I write the story of a mechwarrior who happened to pilot one of those "Police Special" Urbanmechs?

Edited by Odanan, 01 March 2017 - 06:12 PM.

#7 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:39 PM

View PostBarantor, on 01 March 2017 - 05:36 PM, said:

When must entries be submitted by?

at the bottom (did get added a little late...my bad!) March 15th, midnight! Er...by 1159, actually.

View PostOdanan, on 01 March 2017 - 05:40 PM, said:

Count me in!

PS: do I need to write the story of Frederick Steiner's nephew, or can I write the story of a mechwarrior who happened to pilot one of those "Police Special" Urbanmechs?

your choice, could be a narrative on another pilot, form another pilots's perspective, etc. But the Deputy probably should at least show up, ya know?

#8 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 02 March 2017 - 04:55 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 01 March 2017 - 06:39 PM, said:

your choice, could be a narrative on another pilot, form another pilots's perspective, etc. But the Deputy probably should at least show up, ya know?

I need more info about the Deputy, like dates and locations.

#9 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:45 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 01 March 2017 - 05:04 PM, said:

Tamils Rehabilitation Organisation?

Yeah i, it would be nice to join, buuut i'm just going to make a fool of myself. It'd probably going to be another Yuna Cassel stroke of genius. Posted Image

I bought my own already K9 anyways.

Hey, one can always gift the code to a friend! Besides the research may prove interesting!

View PostOdanan, on 02 March 2017 - 04:55 AM, said:

I need more info about the Deputy, like dates and locations.

PM me specifics, it was left bare bones to allow more freedom, but I should be able to give some details, just need to know which are germane to your needs!

Though the only real set in stone details are in the spoiler in the OP. Chaos March (so post 3055/6), based on Hsien, until the Jihad pushes them off somewhere around 3068. Being a paramilitary police force, they are going to be primarily on planet, acting against criminals, Liao agents, Wobbies, etc...though one may assume that there might be the occasional off planet pursuit of wanted fugitives, etc, if it would make for a more interesting story!

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 02 March 2017 - 05:48 AM.

#10 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 02 March 2017 - 09:00 AM

I'll take a crack at it... could be interesting.

#11 Barantor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:19 AM

Is there a maximum word count or any desired length?

#12 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:28 AM

View PostBarantor, on 02 March 2017 - 11:19 AM, said:

Is there a maximum word count or any desired length?

Not really. Could be a splash page, like Randall Bills has done for previous heroes, or a TRO entry, so I'd say, minimum, 1 page, but it would have to sparkle! For maximum...hey, if you want to make the next Battletech Novel about the exploits of the Mechanized Police Unit of the Zhi-Chiang Constabulary.... who am I to stop you?

#13 tinnman94

• PipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 09:42 PM

my idea was going to kind of create a whole bonanza for how it came to existence. would that be okay? like a story of it's producer a pair of savant engineers who also had a one off piloting it before it ended up in your capable hands.

#14 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 10:15 PM

View Posttinnman94, on 02 March 2017 - 09:42 PM, said:

my idea was going to kind of create a whole bonanza for how it came to existence. would that be okay? like a story of it's producer a pair of savant engineers who also had a one off piloting it before it ended up in your capable hands.

Sure thing, the Birth of the Deputy Dawg? Would have entered initial planning immediately during Operation Guerrero, with the birth of the Chaos March. That is when Bishop would have started investigating how to add to the Constabulary's firepower, etc. The original militia garrison having only been assigned a single 400+ year old Stinger. So while the idea to salvage the Urbies was Bishop's the guys who actually figured out how to make things work (including mating the Valkyrie innards to them) would not have been. So I would love to see what you come up with for it.

Like I told Odanan, it has to include Deputy Dag and it's pilot, but it does NOT have to specifically focus on them, so much as "stories of the Zhi-Chiang Constabulary" during this time period.

How the mechs were created, how various unit members (originally 4 primary pilots with 4 reserve ones, plus various other standard cops all the way to SWAT teams and light armor, to the techs and support personnel) joined up, How Bishop came to be on Hsien and mech-less (the Clan Invasion destroyed my Hunchback), maybe a tale from the perspective of a fugitive trying to escape the ZCC, or even maybe using an Industrial Mech to try to make a heist when the Urbies were first deployed. Lots of stuff one can work from!

To give a bit of an idea for the dynamics, I would recommend watching Patlabor and New Dominion Tank Police, as they very heavily informed the birth of the campaign and this design.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 02 March 2017 - 10:20 PM.

#15 tinnman94

• PipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:03 PM

how about the fact that it was an already in progress repair up by two salvage yard engineers that happened to be picked up by the para military after seeing it in the scrap hanger partially pieced together hap hazzardly and they order for 9 others to be made. also do we just submit in this post or other also if I do any fiction expect a messy work submitted will edit and clean it up after

Edited by tinnman94, 03 March 2017 - 01:05 PM.

#16 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:36 PM

View Posttinnman94, on 03 March 2017 - 01:03 PM, said:

how about the fact that it was an already in progress repair up by two salvage yard engineers that happened to be picked up by the para military after seeing it in the scrap hanger partially pieced together hap hazzardly and they order for 9 others to be made. also do we just submit in this post or other also if I do any fiction expect a messy work submitted will edit and clean it up after

your story, all we can do is submit and see!

#17 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 12:26 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 02 March 2017 - 05:45 AM, said:

Hey, one can always gift the code to a friend! Besides the research may prove interesting!

Lol, i don't know where to start.

#18 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:39 AM

View PostThomster, on 04 March 2017 - 06:56 AM, said:

Let's up the ante on this one: Winning fiction becomes Lore :-)

I'd be down with that, but I don't think Tina (or Russ) has that much sway.

#19 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:30 PM

Qualify as fan fic?

#20 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer