Weapon, System, Operations Trees, Some Node Tweaks/moving

2 replies to this topic

#1 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:53 PM

One thing i noticed is the new tree, and i like the direction it took, but IMO it needs a little tweaking, because i really don't like how the first choice on either side, can be a node that is basically of no use to you depending on build. first choice nodes should ALWAYS help every mech.

Basically.. i would do a tiny bit of Node moving..

Top node, Fine

right and left. Instead of Laser duration and velocity.. make those 2 universal to all mechs.. and swap um with heat gen, and cool down. this way either side you pick, you WILL have that node effecting your mech no mater what weapon system you have. that would mean a 1.5 laser duration is gone as i did not move them, and a +4 velocity, BUT i'd rather have that if basically your only two weapon node choices helped every mech. (they could add them back though if they really wanted, by just dropping them one spot, but i honestly don't feel that is needed, lots of velocity and duration nodes already. )

now down the left side, Swap Laser duration 2 and 3, get swapped with Range 3 and cooldown 3.

On the right side Swap Velocity 2, 3, 4 Get swapped with Cooldown 1 and 5, and heat gen 3.

Basically what this would do, would give you a very easy, NO reason to think way to spend your very early weapon skill node points,. (new players, no brainier decisions) It also lets you spend just a few points in the weapon system skill box, get all useful nodes, if you want to focus on other stuff, like electronics, movement, ect. (thinking maybe that infowar will come! Posted Image

But really, it makes the center of the tree helpful to all, then you start to branch out, to get into individual mechs weapon skills. It also really does not change the points needed to spend all that much as the nodes are just one away.

The center of the tree, make those early points mean something. Now each side, you only need to spend 1 maybe 2 points to access deeper generic skills by taking something on the energy side for ballistics (a couple laser duration nodes if you are ballistics/missile), Or if you are an energy boat, you again only need to take a couple points that don't help.. (a couple velocity nodes to unlock more heat/range/cooldown) In the end, typically the laser nodes will even help those mechs. But the bigger change is to energy mechs. and the simple fact that the early nodes in every tree should always help EVERY mech. I get you may need to burn a node later in the tree, But early that should not be the case.

Basically it makes early choices a bit more helpful, and easy on every mech, while keeping the diversity and helping mixed builds.

If anyone else sees some good swap spots, please add.. Posted Image

Edited by JC Daxion, 02 March 2017 - 02:00 PM.

#2 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 01:12 AM

Edited for a bit more balance, and equal Node wasting... It now makes it so if you burn 2 nodes, you unlock 2 more generics balancing the tree out a bit more. for a bit deeper into the tree, and all nodes very early can help any weapon load

Edited by JC Daxion, 02 March 2017 - 01:13 AM.

#3 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:13 PM

So after sleeping on it, and some more playing around with and studying the trees lead me to think of other trees and what changes they could have.

System, operations, and sensors nodes.

the Kinetic burst, and Cool run. Should be moved up to the top level, aka the first 2 nodes you can pick, and put them on both sides of the tree. So each side uses them to unlock that side of the tree. That and heat was typically the first boxes people picked under the old system.

they should be the first nodes you can pick under the new system.. and get a few of them a bit earlier. It again is a bit of node flipping, Cool run 1 and 2 swapped with speed 1 and gryo's 1. Again 2 much more helpful nodes early, that people would want to unlock asap, and did under the old system. Heat contain is another one i could see moved up a bit.. with the burn nodes like gyros/speed retention moved down a bit, but before the speed tweaks. Again this is a minor flip that would make the early tree more helpful, and less confusing. You are still needing to take many nodes to drop that heat, or raise that contain, But it would be a helper earlier, just like unlocking Basics.

the main reason being, with all my suggestions in this post/thread are, those are basic skills that were first unlocked under the old system.

Again, make the first 5-8 nodes in a tree, work for any mech no matter what it is. then make the nodes you pick farther down have nodes you may need to burn for balance, or not be a top node.

another thing i was pondering was the Sensors tree. Add a few more nodes to this tree, and make them more powerful, but higher up on the tree. things like Target decay, and Info gathering. Give us reasons to take them to use them as Counters to radar dep for example.

another node i could see under ECM is counter range, or even Counter power. The ability for a single mech, (with MANY sensor nodes taken) could counter 2 ECM's at one time.. (OP? I dunno, but i'd like to try it)

My whole suggestion is basically making the early tree nodes basically no brainers, then the later ones to customize your mech. Along with making other trees outside of the move/survival somes that can tempt you. To me Phase 2 is a step in the right direction, but it needs more work..

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users