Ryzen Build

49 replies to this topic

#21 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 06:49 PM

Latest rumors put Vega around the same footing at the GTX 1080. Don't think it will be a very crushing blow to it, and the 1080 Ti is likely to be reigning champ for a bit.

Bill, honestly, the 1070 doesn't even really NEED water so please do get one and do ridiculous things with it. I'm curious how far the 1070 will go.

#22 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 09 May 2017 - 02:53 AM

I've got water on my 1060, and all it does, is make sure I never see the temperature limit .... It doesn't affect the other limitations much ... you still have the same voltage limits, just that you can sit on them, for longer than NVidia intended, without activating the other limits .... MWO will still under utilize it .... sorry for being a dream killer ....

#23 Bill Lumbar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 03:56 PM

Well, I pulled the trigger on the MSI Seahawk 1070 with the EK water block this morning..... $432 on amazon and a $30 rebate card. This should be interesting, I haven't used Nvidia since a GTX 8800 card. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I have the 1700 OC to 4.0ghz on air wraith cooler at 1.3 volts Posted Image Sitting at 49C Can't wait to water cool this chip..... I might of hit the lotto

View PostNARC BAIT, on 09 May 2017 - 02:53 AM, said:

I've got water on my 1060, and all it does, is make sure I never see the temperature limit .... It doesn't affect the other limitations much ... you still have the same voltage limits, just that you can sit on them, for longer than NVidia intended, without activating the other limits .... MWO will still under utilize it .... sorry for being a dream killer ....

And for the record.... fu#$ MWO..... that is just sad! I feel like my 7970 DD is holding me back only because I have the BenQ 32" 1440p monitor..... so I guess its time for a upgrade.

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 09 May 2017 - 03:57 PM.

#24 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:11 PM

I gotta say guys..... Ryzen 1700 plays MWO smooth at 4 ghz, even with the 7970 Posted Image

#25 BaronMunchausen

Rookie

• The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:12 PM

Have a new Ryzen build as well, very happy!
R7 1700 @ 3.7GHZ (so far) 41C at load!
NZXT Kraken x61 Watercooler (had to wait for AM4 adapter)
NZXT Phantom Case
Asus Prime x370 Pro 0604 BIOS
Corsair Vengance LPX @ 2933 32GB
EVGA 1070 SC Black @ 2020, 40C at load (replaced R 390x, waiting for Vega to think about upgrade)
Asus Strix Sound Card
Samsung 960 Evo 1TB M.2
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD
Seagate FireCuda 2TB HSD

#26 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:46 PM

Jesus, I just got the 1070 today.......Holy $hit man.... what a fu@#King card! I seriously ****** in my pants lol

I can't believe how big it is.... how sexy it is..... Having to make a choice on tearing down the old granite wall mount case or ordering another $1000 in parts to make a new water loop and upgrade to M2 pro drive..... only good thing about me doing that is I will have 2 custom water loops instead of one. Parts won't be in till Tuesday next week

#27 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 09:56 AM

Ha ha... I am seriously depressed I can't install this card right now..... waiting on the final parts, fittings, hard lines, new psu, new water pump.....new 1tb evo m2 drive.... cables, blah blah blah..... etc... ETA on new build and wall mount case, next weekend Posted Image Posted Image

@at wired.... wait, do you think I can run the 1070 without it hooked up to the loop??? Posted Image

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 13 May 2017 - 09:57 AM.

#28 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:01 AM

View PostBill Lumbar, on 13 May 2017 - 09:56 AM, said:

@at wired.... wait, do you think I can run the 1070 without it hooked up to the loop??? Posted Image

of course you could run it ... you've got air inside that marble case right, and its meant to run on air ... you just wont get quite as much potential from it .... 4 things make the card self limit, 1) temperature 2) reliable voltage 3) usage 4) configuration ... hooking it up to water, only fixes one of those limiters ... but you'll be in the ballpark and ready to bat ...

#29 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:08 PM

View PostBill Lumbar, on 13 May 2017 - 09:56 AM, said:

Ha ha... I am seriously depressed I can't install this card right now..... waiting on the final parts, fittings, hard lines, new psu, new water pump.....new 1tb evo m2 drive.... cables, blah blah blah..... etc... ETA on new build and wall mount case, next weekend Posted Image Posted Image

From what reviewers observed, the cards tend to run near their boost limit the vast majority of the time as it is, but I was wondering how well it held on under water at its max OC. I'm -assuming- that it just sticks to the boost all the time then, but since you've turned yourself into a guinea pig... FOR SCIENCE, BILL

#30 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:01 PM

most of the parts came today.... still need the bending kit for the hard lines..... and the EK waterblock for the Ryzen. This weekend is gonna be busy, I will try to post pics ASAP if I can remember my password for photo bucket lol

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 17 May 2017 - 04:33 PM.

#31 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:50 PM

This is all a work in progress.... Milling the 3/16" aluminium was a real pain in the A$$ with almost any bit I used. After switching over to dish soap and just water vs. cutting oil or WD 40, cutting went way smoother with just wood bits. I still have to make hard drive bay mounts on the back side, solder up all the led lighting strips, cut all the new plexi-glass and drill and tap all mounting screws for everything. Will carbon wrap it once I get all this done, and things fitted into place.

This new wall mount is so LIGHT!!! Which was the whole point of doing this custom build, and the fact it was time for something new. Will post more pics as it all comes together..... Posted Image Posted Image

#32 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:08 PM

That looks like it'll be -really- clean.

#33 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:45 PM

View PostxWiredx, on 17 May 2017 - 05:08 PM, said:

That looks like it'll be -really- clean.

I am gonna miss the granite back on my main gaming build.....but this case will be way lighter. Plus with the slot loading dvd.... Hard drive bays like a apple pro old school... swap bays, this new case is gonna be really nice if the carbon wrap comes out good.... we will see. I will post more pics when I get time. 12 hour days Monday through Thursday at work are kicking my *** right now... Plus I am sick for the last two days.

I gotta be honest Wired.... I wasn't even this excited when I put together the last wall build, and upgraded to a I74790K build from the FX3850 @5ghz. I see a lot of good things coming from AMD's AM4 platform and Ryzen... this processor rocks, can't wait till the EK block gets here and I get this all finished up. Posted Image

I wanted to go Aluminum last time....but I had all the tools and diamond bits to do the granite..... I had to blow around $400 just for the Dewalt Router, bits, and tools to cut the Aluminum, and that is crazy, because I have a lot of tools already. I plan on building more wall mount cases, just smaller in size as I will do them for media builds around the house. I have access to the Aluminum sheets, for only $198 for a 3/16" thick, 8' by 10' at my work..... that will build around 8 wall mount cases at 2'x3'. The media cases will only be like 18" x 18" at most, which will make even more cases. Pretty cheap once you dive in and buy the tools to do this.

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 17 May 2017 - 05:56 PM.

#34 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:12 PM

I decided to remove the pump to the left of the wall mount, and buy the Bitspower top mount kit.... it will now be this, attached to the right with the 400mm Res.... This will give me extra space for several ssd hard dives on the left by the Rad where the single one was mounted on the old granite case.... this should really clean up the look of the case.... and give me more room for other things. Plus is looks so sweet!

Posted Image

vs. This the old school cover the d5 pump comes with...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 17 May 2017 - 06:13 PM.

#35 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:29 AM

And doing a ruff layout of new parts. Posted Image

Not gonna use the 250 Res, gonna pull the 400mm off the granite build and use it instead with the new case.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#36 RAM

• The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 2,018 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:45 AM

View Postceesje, on 09 March 2017 - 08:23 AM, said:

RAM is a problem at the moment

I would prefer that people think of me as a solution Posted Image

RAM
ELH

#37 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:05 AM

Ram.... I have no Ram problems..... its working just fine... 3200mhz.... its all good Posted Image

#38 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:32 PM

Ok.... got everything pretty much milled and put on the carbon fiber wrap. Ha ha... I have mixed feelings about this, its just not granite. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Started to rain on me here, I will start cutting all the plexi back plates tomorrow.... still waiting on my EK Am4 water block.... Newegg shipped it from CA instead of Indy.... DHL no less. Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 18 May 2017 - 03:36 PM.

#39 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:04 PM

I like the carbon fiber look. I also know the pain of DHL shipping. Consistently a week late and every box they touch gets a complimentary crushing before arrival.

So you are gonna run some framerate tests with this once DHL finally arrives, right? RIGHT?

#40 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:21 AM

View PostxWiredx, on 18 May 2017 - 05:04 PM, said:

I like the carbon fiber look. I also know the pain of DHL shipping. Consistently a week late and every box they touch gets a complimentary crushing before arrival.

So you are gonna run some framerate tests with this once DHL finally arrives, right? RIGHT?

Yes..... Of course I am..... only this time, I am not getting rid of my other rig like I did last time, (FX-8350 build).... I will keep the I74790K and move it into my media center in wall build. EK waterblock for the Ryzen came today, and it wasn't crushed or damaged. lol.
I am working on cutting the back plates and wiring up the Led back lighting.

Ha ha... .**** The P5...... its over rated and the pci express bridge is **** lol

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 19 May 2017 - 02:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users