Clan Lbx Range Module

33 replies to this topic

#1 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 908 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:12 AM

Is it used for anything? Does it actually reduce or add spread? Has anybody ever made anything useful with it?

Also, do SRM's and SSRM's spread like LBX, meaning range affects it and they most effective in melee?

What about Artemis Clan LRM's, does it make difference when you launch them from 300 and 900 meters?

Edited by G4LV4TR0N, 12 March 2017 - 07:18 AM.

#2 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:15 AM

Modules, as of the 21st of March, are set to be rolled into the upcoming skill tree system.

#3 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:19 AM

the LBX range modules literaly just affect range, the pellets will spread out more because they travel further, but it does nothing other than increase the range.

As Cato Phoenix says the modules are incorperated into the new skill tree, however any GXP or Cbills spent on modules will be refunded, so there is no reason not to buy them..

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 13 March 2017 - 01:20 AM.

#4 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 908 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:04 AM

I see, what about missile spread affected by range - Clan SRM, Clan SSRM and Clan LRM?

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:06 AM

View PostG4LV4TR0N, on 12 March 2017 - 10:04 AM, said:

I see, what about missile spread affected by range - Clan SRM, Clan SSRM and Clan LRM?

Same.

This said...

Clan LBX spread.

Does it really matter? Look at that spread. Unquirked.

#6 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 908 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:37 AM

So C-LRM's are more effective at short range, like 300?

#7 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:46 AM

LB-X range mods are one of the most useless features of MWO.
Honestly not worth it even if your mech has nothing but LB-X cannons (centi, kodiak etc).
The situations where you do effective damage with any LB-X outside of maximum range are stupidly rare.
Even just gazing an enemy to get an additional assist when you're out of range will very likely not bring back the 3 mil you spent for the rangemod.

Honesty, skip those mods.

SRM spread out shortly after fired (that is why you can nuke a component at point blank). After that their spread will remain the same until they reach their range cap.

Artemis tightens the spread of SRM and LRM, Although, for LRM ONLY if you (yourself) have visual on the target. If you do not see your target and rely on a friendly lock artemis does nothing but speeds up the lock on time.

SSRM spread is not affected by artemis, it is a weightless upgrade for SSRM boats, tho. It speeds up the time you need for a lock.

#8 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:47 AM

View PostG4LV4TR0N, on 12 March 2017 - 10:37 AM, said:

cLRMs have no minimum range, but do scaling damage between 0 and 180m, in my experiance any LRMs are most effective at medium range, say 200-500m, with line of sight, your own lock and your own TAG held on target.
if you fire on someone elses lock you are trusting that they will hold the lock, that there is nothing in the way, and that the target will not make it to cover.

some people will disagree but smaller launchers chain fired are more efficent in terms of damage over time and more likely to all hit due to reduced spread than larger launchers.

#9 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:48 AM

View PostG4LV4TR0N, on 12 March 2017 - 10:37 AM, said:

In a way, yes. because it gives your target less time to react (counts for IS LRM as well).
C-LRM damage remains the same from 180 meter all the way to maxrange.

#10 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 03:04 PM

He is asking about LRM spread, so that if the spread is bigger the longer the range.

I think it is, but there has to be some kind of ceiling to it, othervise the spread between 200 and 1000 meters would be insane, either none at close range or way too huge at max.

#11 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 03:32 PM

View PostCato Phoenix, on 12 March 2017 - 08:15 AM, said:

Modules, as of the 21st of March, are set to be rolled into the upcoming skill tree system.

Just saying, that was not his question.

And nothing personal, but I freaking hate it when I ask a freaking ques...nevermind...

#12 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 03:56 PM

SnugglesTime did a nice video on this as far as LRMs and you can test it yourself.

Go to a test map, find an enemy mech and check the range and time how long it takes the LRMs to hit. Remember, when you fire, the target gets his warning. Do you give him 3 seconds to react or 7 seconds?

And remember that Radar Derp is 3.5 seconds long.

One of the best things about Artemis is it's increased tracking speed/power. An LRM 5 without it will tend to hit the spot you aimed at while the one with Artemis will follow your target better. (Fast Lights are very poor targets, they are very hard to hit and the larger the volley, the worse it seems to be)

I go back and forth on four LRM 5's set on chain fire to shooting all four of them at one time etc. I call it the dribble method and it is going to take a long time to do any real damage plus I've seen LRM 5's being shot down before when a number of Mechs have AMS.

It also has pluses like the sheer annoyance factor. I used to link a Clan ER LL up with an LRM 5 just to annoy enemy mechs I was shooting at. And waves of 5's hitting you, shakes your cockpit and makes it hard to see and fight.

I also have an "Attack LRMer" with two LRM 20's with Artemis and I try to never shoot at anything over 4-500 meters and nothing I do not have direct line of sight on.

#13 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 908 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:40 PM

Damn, is there any video where somebody would be testing this? Clan LRM with and without Artemis, range, spread, accuracy etc?

#14 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:00 AM

View PostG4LV4TR0N, on 12 March 2017 - 10:40 PM, said:

Damn, is there any video where somebody would be testing this? Clan LRM with and without Artemis, range, spread, accuracy etc?

First off, do you know how to make a video of your own? I record a lot of my games. I do not stream, I record. I know of two main ways. OBS https://obsproject.com/ and Overwolf also has a recording function.

IMO, the BEST way to test this is against another player. If you have PT we can do a series on PVP and work on testing rather than us simply fighting. I also have some things I want to test.

Try some of the videos on this page: https://www.youtube...._query=lrm+boat

P.S. You will need a stopwatch.

#15 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:11 AM

Yesterday I was playing my RVN-H which is a pain in the butt for me. Yes, it has nice SRM quirks but can carry and use only about a 1/4th of what a Jenner does. I'm always outgunned. So I looked at these quirks....and went trolling....

Posted Image

I added two LRM 5s to it and used the Range and Cooldown Module and I had a long range LRM that fires fast. My range was 1300 meters. I admit I did fire off a few at like 1200m or so. The reason was it made them look for someone closer. And it was annoying I'm sure.......

Edited by LikeUntoGod, 13 March 2017 - 06:12 AM.

#16 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 908 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:07 AM

I was checking this topic but apparently awesome LRM5 spread will be probably gone in few days:

https://mwomercs.com...h-skill-quirks/

Nevertheless I'd like to ask about chain-firing LRM's, like four C-LRM5 launchers - do they really cause constant screen shake so it's very hard to aim? And does mech weight matter when calculating such shake? Also, do Improved Gyros help at all?

What about C-LRM attack angle? From what I know, bigger distance means it's more like attack from above while at short lengths it's like attack from side. So if I am targeting mech that has no armor left on rear CT but full front armor then what are the chances of hitting rear? I guess if I C-LRM from behind chances are big or even 100% but what when I attack head on, or from side?

Final question, C-LRM spread causes missiles to hit CT more at cost of hitting ST? What if I would prefer to attack ST's, would using C-LRM's without TAG/Artemis/etc cause more of dmg to go to ST?

BTW, it seems you are more into IS mechs and IS-LRM when I am into C-LRM that have different patterns.

Edited by G4LV4TR0N, 13 March 2017 - 07:09 AM.

#17 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:14 AM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 12 March 2017 - 03:32 PM, said:

Just saying, that was not his question.

And nothing personal, but I freaking hate it when I ask a freaking ques...nevermind...

The whole thread is about range MODULES, it's in the threadtitle...

#18 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:07 AM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 13 March 2017 - 08:14 AM, said:

The whole thread is about range MODULES, it's in the threadtitle...

The actual question is when using Said Module... "does it reduce spread or add spread" in order to increase its effectiveness at range? "Has anybody ever made anything useful with it?"

It does not ask whether or not range modules will still exist (and in fact, they will as 'range' skill unlocks so whether the module is removed from the game is not relevant to the actual questions.)

#19 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:45 AM

View PostKoniving, on 13 March 2017 - 09:07 AM, said:

The actual question is when using Said Module...

Yes, Kon. I can read (why would you reply othewise).

Like Cato and Rouge been sayin', Mods will be removed 21st of march, GXP and C-bills will be refunded. So OP can either say *well, nvm* or buy and test it out him/herself. If someone asks about the usability of Mods which get removed in a week anyways, chances are he did not know about the removal.

#20 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:45 AM

View PostG4LV4TR0N, on 12 March 2017 - 10:04 AM, said:

As far as I understand missiles, LRM spread is not affected by the range but by the launcher that is shooting them out. The larger the launcher, the larger the spread. (I've even been told that it's determined by the number of missiles in flight, but I've never noticed this to be true or not.) TAG, Artemis and NARC can affect this, but not range. However, range does affect how long the missiles are in the air, which gives the target more time to react and place cover between themselves and the missiles if not break the lock and have the LRMs stop tacking.

SRMs do gain more spread the farther they are shot, and that spread gets worse with the larger launcher sizes as well. Aretemis can tighten this spread out, or getting closer. SRMs are also easier to use closer up, because they do still travel kinda slow.

SSRMs are a different story completely. Range does not affect their spread (except for face hugging your launcher to the target). SSRMs have it so that each launched missile will home in on a "bone" of the mech, or the very center of a random component of the target. (EX: A SSRM6 may have a missile home in on the CT, another on the LA, two might go for the RL and the last three may randomly go for the RA. On the other hand, a lucky shot may have all six missiles of the volley track the RT...) Artemis is useful in the fact that it doesn't cost SSRMs any extra crit slots or tonnage and will let your locks be faster to acquire. TAG can also let your missile locks apply faster as well, but will cost you a ton and an energy slot. (And if you are using SSRMs, I suggest you always take an Active Probe on your mech, unless you are an ECM equipped mech.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users