Skill Tree Delayed

80 replies to this topic

#61 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:19 PM

If it went so far as to have the new tech not put in the game I'd probably never have a reason to play and likely just use the extra 20 gigs on my harddrive to find something else. Just wish it could be a FPS mech based game with lots of customization and multiplayer and basically a mechwarrior game that does it right. [And no, I don't mean MW:LL, I want to have custom loadouts, not presets and I like the idea of mechs balanced by stats, not costs in match, that and the Shiva scares me.]

#62 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:37 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 13 March 2017 - 08:11 PM, said:

The hilarity of that comment. I make 1 comment, and it's "oh my god the salt"... after these ******* laid out a salt mine for the last two weeks? Lol. The irony.

It's all good. Community has spoken. Enjoy.

Naw.....gotta go with the other guy. You've been pretty salty yourself these days, just your own particular brand of salty.

#63 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:40 PM

View PostTLBFestus, on 13 March 2017 - 09:37 PM, said:

Naw.....gotta go with the other guy. You've been pretty salty yourself these days, just your own particular brand of salty.

Cool story. I hear salted caramel is still selling big.

#64 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:05 PM

potato armchair pleb space poor peasant whales cried and MWO development basically died lmao.

I bet we'll get a worse, linear, meaningless, skill tree that doesn't even cost cbills, and then get zero module refunds because of this faggotry. That extra 300mil I spent on modules in the last month or 2 thinking I would get a refund probably died here too Posted Image .

#65 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:16 PM

View PostDakota1000, on 13 March 2017 - 09:19 PM, said:

If it went so far as to have the new tech not put in the game I'd probably never have a reason to play and likely just use the extra 20 gigs on my harddrive to find something else. Just wish it could be a FPS mech based game with lots of customization and multiplayer and basically a mechwarrior game that does it right. [And no, I don't mean MW:LL, I want to have custom loadouts, not presets and I like the idea of mechs balanced by stats, not costs in match, that and the Shiva scares me.]

Sounds like Chromehounds to me! Are you familiar with M.A.V. (An unofficial spiritual successor created by a small indie studio)?
http://bombdogstudios.com

#66 Orions Belt Belt

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:31 AM

View PostB3R3ND, on 13 March 2017 - 10:16 PM, said:

Sounds like Chromehounds to me! Are you familiar with M.A.V. (An unofficial spiritual successor created by a small indie studio)?
http://bombdogstudios.com

Ya stay far away from that game.. far far away.

#67 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:19 AM

LOL. I called this after PTS1. Saw this train clicking down the track just like ED and Infowars. And the pundits panned me for it. Sad to see I've been proven right.

I liked PTS1 but for penalizing mixed builds. I did think that things got worse in PTS2 and PTS3. By the end, the survivability tree wasn't worth the investment. I liked being able to focus on one or two firepower types. I know that encouraged boating, but there had to be a better way not to penalize mixed builds. If they'd managed that, I'd have enjoyed it. I even was fully prepared to lose mastery of most of my 70-odd mechs and was planning simply to strip and sell my mechs that weren't Catapults or Riflemen, or special/invasion/resistance/hero/champion variants.

#68 Catra Lanis

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:59 AM

I always imagined our current skilltree to remain (slightly reworked) and then have additional similar boxes replacing the master module slot. A simple version

For example just 20 boxes with points for 10. Want more armor? Sure but at the expense of a little speed and vice versa. Maybe passive radar etc. etc.

Edited by Catra Lanis, 14 March 2017 - 03:00 AM.

#69 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:59 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 13 March 2017 - 06:56 PM, said:

Eh, they said that, to them, mastery in the new system was not the same thing as mastery under the current system. That statement makes perfect sense in that context.

View PostEgoSlayer, on 13 March 2017 - 06:45 PM, said:

I don't understand why they didn't just do something like current XP/Skill level on mech in current = X number of SP in new system that unlock with zero cost for that mech. E.g. 57,250 XP (Current Mastery) = 72 one time use zero cost Unlock points in the new system instead of the Historic XP conversion.

Oh my.
I just had a terrible thought.
What if PGI decides that, in the new system, 72 points get you the mastered tag. And then you can buy another 19 nodes with C-bills.

Edited by Kmieciu, 14 March 2017 - 03:59 AM.

#70 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:11 AM

View PostCatra Lanis, on 14 March 2017 - 02:59 AM, said:

I always imagined our current skilltree to remain (slightly reworked) and then have additional similar boxes replacing the master module slot. A simple version

For example just 20 boxes with points for 10. Want more armor? Sure but at the expense of a little speed and vice versa. Maybe passive radar etc. etc.

That's what we all wanted, really.

Back a week or so ago, there were plenty of posts started by people (myself included) who basically wanted a choice of roles (brawlers, fire support, scout, skirmisher, etc.) with maybe 20 or so skills per role. You then can pick 1 role and 12 of the 20 skills at a time for a mech. No respec costs, and you could eventually unlock all roles and skills on a mech, but still only have 1 role and 12 of the skills active at a time. Finally, display the chosen role each of your allies has taken on the team screen when you hit "Tab."

Done. You have a MUCH simpler system than the tangled skill maze, you have real choice and a level of role warfare, you don't have respec costs, and you have more info about your team in game. Oh, we have lots of brawlers? OK, that means we use this tactic. Next game, a lot of fire support? Different tactic.

I don't what is so hard about this. Systems like D&D and countless others have used role-based choices for skills for literally decades. How, instead, did we end up with 91 flavors of grind out of over 200 that, aside from weapons, all lead to one of a handful of outcomes anyway?

Edited by oldradagast, 14 March 2017 - 04:11 AM.

#71 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:02 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 13 March 2017 - 09:40 PM, said:

Cool story. I hear salted caramel is still selling big.

Can't say its really a story or that I'd go for that caramel....sticky....tooth decay.....

Anyone else...go for it, eat that stuff up. I could use the business.

#72 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:03 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 13 March 2017 - 09:12 PM, said:

I'm expecting to see a lot of QQ over Heavy Lasers, Heavy PPCs, MRMs, and Light ACs. I expect about 50% of that QQ to be complaints about the IS getting way more toys than the Clans or, if PGI gimps the number of toys the IS get, that the IS didn't get enough toys.

I would personally QQ if all the IS got was the inferior "catch up" tech that the Clans already have (i.e. LBX 2/5/20). The one time PGI finally decides to add new things to the game should be used on truly new weapons rather than reskins with weaker stats.

I'd also QQ if Heavy Lasers are implemented such that they are feasible to boat and not strong in small numbers.

I would on the other hand QQ tears of joy if we got Light ACs. :D

Edited by FupDup, 14 March 2017 - 08:04 AM.

#73 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:45 AM

View PostTLBFestus, on 14 March 2017 - 08:02 AM, said:

Can't say its really a story or that I'd go for that caramel....sticky....tooth decay.....

Anyone else...go for it, eat that stuff up. I could use the business.

That explains so much about you......

#74 Alceroi

• PipPip
  • The Ravenous
  • The Ravenous
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:09 PM

didn't geat light ac but you guys got light gauss and rotaries I would say that plenty hurt for clans anyday XD I did a lil math and besides getting catch up tech IS gets whopping 8 new tech and clans only get a rather interesting set of 5 new tech
besides tech that both sides "have or getting at the same time"

#75 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:06 PM

View PostHolyBishop, on 22 March 2017 - 09:09 PM, said:

didn't geat light ac but you guys got light gauss and rotaries I would say that plenty hurt for clans anyday XD I did a lil math and besides getting catch up tech IS gets whopping 8 new tech and clans only get a rather interesting set of 5 new tech
besides tech that both sides "have or getting at the same time"

and if you research.... IS Catchup tech is still inferior to Clan Tech.

IS ER Lasers? Less range and damage.
IS SSRMs? 50% heavier, 75% of the range.
IS UACs? 2-3 tons heavier
IS LBX? 1-2 tons heavier.
C-XL allows side torso destruction, and is 50% the weight of STD. IX XL you die to ST destruction, and LFE is 75% the weight of STD.
IS SRM/LRM? Twice the weight. And IS LRMs have minimum range-
Clan DHS? 2 crits, IS is 3, per.
Clan Ferro and Endo? 7 crits, with the Ferro having a 1.2 multiplier, IS is 14 crits, and the Ferro gets a 1.12 multiplier.
BAP and ECM? 50% Heavier.
Clan Gauss? 3 tons lighter, 1 less crit.
Clan ERPPC? 1 ton and 1 crit smaller.

Etc.

I don't want to hear a damn thing about how the Clams got shafted.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 22 March 2017 - 10:06 PM.

#76 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:16 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 22 March 2017 - 10:06 PM, said:

and if you research.... IS Catchup tech is still inferior to Clan Tech.

(Things)

I don't want to hear a damn thing about how the Clams got shafted.

um Clan gets Shafted, ;)

but seriously ive done comparisons and it seems:
that when looking Range Most IS mechs get 10% which makes both Factions ER Lasers have the same Range,
SSRM depends on how they do the Cooldown and Velocity, but they could also be balanced,
UACs depends on how many Shells they fire(Clan Burst -1 Shell?) again they can be balanced,
LBXs its hard if they follow the LBX10 line -1Ton/Crit YAY, if not they may not be good at all,
LFE will help alot, but your right its no C-XL, if it comes with no Penalities with ST loss it may help,
SRM have Spread Advantage over Clan, as well as more Damage, so its a give and take,
LRMs fire in Volley, and arnt as Weak vs AMS, but again its debatable which is better,
ya Upgrades isnt really debatable Clan wins,
same with ECM/BAP though its not by much,
Gauss is a real problem Faction wise,
ERPPCs im abit on the fence about,

but we also have to remember its how all these weapons work as part of the whole,
some may look imbalanced such as lasers but when looking at them mech vs mech same efficiency IS wins,

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 18 March 2017 - 02:56 PM, said:

they do the same(almost) Damage/Tick, increasing GH to 3(Tonnage/Cits Aside(3 of Each)
would give you the same Viability, the difrence is the Clan ERLL can fire for longer,
but if both hold for 1.25 then they will do almost the same damage,

a MAD with 15DHS +3ERLL, has 51% cooling Efficiency,
a TBR with 19DHS +3ERLL, has 51% cooling Efficiency(+4DHS mean 4Tons/8Crits)
so you need 1more Ton & 5more Crits just to match Cooling efficiency,

#77 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:39 PM

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 23 March 2017 - 03:16 PM, said:

um Clan gets Shafted, Posted Image

but seriously ive done comparisons and it seems:
that when looking Range Most IS mechs get 10% which makes both Factions ER Lasers have the same Range,
SSRM depends on how they do the Cooldown and Velocity, but they could also be balanced,
UACs depends on how many Shells they fire(Clan Burst -1 Shell?) again they can be balanced,
LBXs its hard if they follow the LBX10 line -1Ton/Crit YAY, if not they may not be good at all,
LFE will help alot, but your right its no C-XL, if it comes with no Penalities with ST loss it may help,
SRM have Spread Advantage over Clan, as well as more Damage, so its a give and take,
LRMs fire in Volley, and arnt as Weak vs AMS, but again its debatable which is better,
ya Upgrades isnt really debatable Clan wins,
same with ECM/BAP though its not by much,
Gauss is a real problem Faction wise,
ERPPCs im abit on the fence about,

but we also have to remember its how all these weapons work as part of the whole,
some may look imbalanced such as lasers but when looking at them mech vs mech same efficiency IS wins,

You forgot one:

The POS Targeting Computers that the clans have to put up with; vs the super sweet, OP Command Console that we IS players enjoy. HUGE IS advantage there.

#78 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:22 PM

A big problem of the PTS was all the folks complaining about how all their old mechs were mastered and under the new skill tree they couldn't "master" them all. That was such an apples and oranges fallacy though. Under the current skill tree system..."master" is just an extra module slot. Its not actually a skill efficiency per say. The skills themselves only went as far as the elite level with 12 total skills, and one of them was a 3000 xp sink skill that hadn't applied to anything in what is it now... FOUR years ?! Yet somehow the most important thing was to have that 91 unlocked skill nodes "master" symbol in the mech garage and nevermind whatever the actual skill nodes did or how much time/money PGI's staff spent developing the new skill tree (and that's stuff they don't get back btw). So the personal gratification needs of a few dozen of seeing those master symbols on all the same mechs... ruined an actual improvement to the game...for the other twenty nine thousand active players this month.

As of this moment... https://mwomercs.com...age=1485&type=0 we've had a total of 29,718 players so far this month play at least 10 matches each. The leaderboards don't track players with less than 10 matches, so who knows what the ACTUAL total # of players this month was to date. I've played about 560 or so...the #1 and #2 spots are over 1400 matches so far.

Also when PGI announced they were postponing the new tree yet again a week before patch day... I was amused by how many people who HADN'T posted to complain about the new tree...yet also hadn't posted to support it...were suddenly posting to complain about it being delayed. Gee... maybe if they'd been more vocal BEFORE PGI elected to knuckle under.... that would have been more helpful. If you don't wanna be peer pressured on the forums... at the very least you should have been emailing PGI directly. They DO read them. Every time someone threatened to cancel a pre-order or quit the game...someone else should have stepped up and told PGI they were going to buy a pre-order to compensate for the player who hates progress and game improvements that apply to EVERYONE.

#79 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:25 PM

View PostDee Eight, on 23 March 2017 - 05:22 PM, said:

A big problem of the PTS was all the folks complaining about how all their old mechs were mastered and under the new skill tree they couldn't "master" them all. That was such an apples and oranges fallacy though. Under the current skill tree system..."master" is just an extra module slot. Its not actually a skill efficiency per say. The skills themselves only went as far as the elite level with 12 total skills, and one of them was a 3000 xp sink skill that hadn't applied to anything in what is it now... FOUR years ?! Yet somehow the most important thing was to have that 91 unlocked skill nodes "master" symbol in the mech garage and nevermind whatever the actual skill nodes did or how much time/money PGI's staff spent developing the new skill tree (and that's stuff they don't get back btw). So the personal gratification needs of a few dozen of seeing those master symbols on all the same mechs... ruined an actual improvement to the game...for the other twenty nine thousand active players this month.

As of this moment... https://mwomercs.com...age=1485&type=0 we've had a total of 29,718 players so far this month play at least 10 matches each. The leaderboards don't track players with less than 10 matches, so who knows what the ACTUAL total # of players this month was to date. I've played about 560 or so...the #1 and #2 spots are over 1400 matches so far.

Also when PGI announced they were postponing the new tree yet again a week before patch day... I was amused by how many people who HADN'T posted to complain about the new tree...yet also hadn't posted to support it...were suddenly posting to complain about it being delayed. Gee... maybe if they'd been more vocal BEFORE PGI elected to knuckle under.... that would have been more helpful. If you don't wanna be peer pressured on the forums... at the very least you should have been emailing PGI directly. They DO read them. Every time someone threatened to cancel a pre-order or quit the game...someone else should have stepped up and told PGI they were going to buy a pre-order to compensate for the player who hates progress and game improvements that apply to EVERYONE.

What fantasy land does this exist in? Is it unicorn hunting season already?

#80 FireStoat

• The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:40 PM

View PostDee Eight, on 23 March 2017 - 05:22 PM, said:

A big problem of the PTS was all the folks complaining about how all their old mechs were mastered and under the new skill tree they couldn't "master" them all.

Just from reading this opening line, I can tell that you didn't participate in the PTS at all for either phase of the skill tree that was presented. The very first thing many testers took a look at was what sort of bonuses their current mechs enjoyed at a Mastered state, and with the skill tree, how many points were transferred over and could be used to recover those bonuses. On top of this, the cost in Cbills was examined for the process of recovering those same bonuses.

The totals were wildly off, people capable of doing actual math called PGI out on it, and the lighting of the burning dumpster happened.

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users