Next Meck Pack Poll Discussion! Updated Choices And Dev Comments! Escalation Mechs Removed!

2368 replies to this topic

#421 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:24 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 20 March 2017 - 08:23 AM, said:

The Starslayer would be better due to being humanoid with cockpit clustered weapon mounts...

The Hellspawn is just a tough little nut....

The Sha Yu also has great weapon placements and is fast with ECM..

The Chimera is just an interesting mech all around....

Yeah, but on the other hand, the arm mounts and body design of the Men Shen are interesting and well placed, and MASC on a medium is really nice to have.

#422 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,776 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:28 AM

I think the Men Shen would be better than both of these, partially because it is 55 tons and not 40 like both of these. That said I would be ok with either given I have love for both of these mechs even if they won't be the same as they were in MW4 (Sha Yu was in a mod).

#423 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:29 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 20 March 2017 - 08:18 AM, said:

What's wrong with the Men Shen. XL 330/MASC sounds like a lot of fun to me. Also can have ECM.

Added Griffin IIC, but Super Griffin is a prototype that never made into production. I'm going to leave it off, sorry :/

it's another example of people ONLY wanting it because ecm/High hard points.

When have you ever heard someone say "man, my favorite mech is the Men Shen"?

Will it be functional? Sure. And when that is the sole criteria to what mech we should or should not add, we get
Posted Image

Yes, I know Mt Tryhard are purveyors of Mecha Eugenics, and Mech Master Races, and as such, but in such a world your Kingfisher is stillborn.

View PostPariah Devalis, on 20 March 2017 - 08:24 AM, said:

and MASC on a medium is really nice to have.

only on battlemechs, so one has the option of taking it off.

#424 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:30 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 March 2017 - 08:29 AM, said:

Will it be functional? Sure. And when that is the sole criteria to what mech we should or should not add, we get
Posted Image

Yes, I know Mt Tryhard are purveyors of Mecha Eugenics, and Mech Master Races, and as such, but in such a world your Kingfisher is stillborn.

I <3 it on my Shadow Kitties. But then, my hands are not jacked up. :P

#425 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:30 AM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 20 March 2017 - 08:28 AM, said:

I think the Men Shen would be better than both of these, partially because it is 55 tons and not 40 like both of these. That said I would be ok with either given I have love for both of these mechs even if they won't be the same as they were in MW4 (Sha Yu was in a mod).

always liked the Sha Yu in MC2, even though it wasn't a very good robot. Whereas I found the Men Shen to be like watching paint dry, grass grow, etc.

#426 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:32 AM

The Starslayer would be better due to being humanoid with cockpit clustered weapon mounts...

The Hellspawn is just a tough little nut....

Eh, thanks to omni tech you can cluster lasers in the torsos or bring ECM and put lasers in a side torso and arm. Pretty clustered actually. I think up to 4 E hardpoints in the torso, or 2 with ECM, then a Head laser. The Starslayer would probably be solid as well, but the Men Shen is winning the poll, TBH I would be cool with either.

The Hellspawn seems a lot like a 45 ton Griffin to me... not sure what is tough about it, it is a 45 ton humanoid mech.

Sha Yu seems solid as well, I would take it.

Chimera... don't see what's interesting about it. Missile left torso, energy in right arm, ballistic in left arm. Not much you can do with it being a 40 tonner, ends up overlapping with the Assassin actually as far as I can tell.

#427 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:33 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 20 March 2017 - 08:24 AM, said:

Yeah, but on the other hand, the arm mounts and body design of the Men Shen are interesting and well placed, and MASC on a medium is really nice to have.

After trying to really make the PHX-3S shine, I'm not a fan of MASC, useful but not something I'd go out of my way to use. As such I don't consider it as a real incentive to push a mech with a slightly larger engine to begin with over something a little more all round balanced.

#428 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:35 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 March 2017 - 08:29 AM, said:

Posted Image

Well, I didn't think it was THAT meta, I just like MASC on mechs that have hardpoints to poke well (in other words, MASC on mechs other than the CTF-3L and WVR-7D), its fun to play. I didn't even realize it had ECM until I went and looked at it this morning.

Which brings me to the next point, locked MASC isn't a problem for me because I wouldn't run a mech that could run MASC without MASC.

And the Kingfisher isn't stillborn. Hell, it could probably rock the YOLO queue better than the Supernova laser vomit versions, with all them high hardpoints an 70 kph instead of 63.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 20 March 2017 - 08:36 AM.

#429 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:39 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 20 March 2017 - 08:32 AM, said:

Eh, thanks to omni tech you can cluster lasers in the torsos or bring ECM and put lasers in a side torso and arm. Pretty clustered actually. I think up to 4 E hardpoints in the torso, or 2 with ECM, then a Head laser. The Starslayer would probably be solid as well, but the Men Shen is winning the poll, TBH I would be cool with either.

Just remember that with IS Omni's they have much stronger flaws than Clan ones... The Men Shen would have a Bushwacker type body so flank it and it dies on ST loss.... That being said, it does have the potential to be a strong medium, but being an Omni in MWO hurts it.

The Hellspawn seems a lot like a 45 ton Griffin to me... not sure what is tough about it, it is a 45 ton humanoid mech that punches above it's weight.

The Hellspawn I remember it being a tough little nut to crack in MW/4, in TT it's also a tough little 45t mech...

Chimera... don't see what's interesting about it. Missile left torso, energy in right arm, ballistic in left arm. Not much you can do with it being a 40 tonner, ends up overlapping with the Assassin actually as far as I can tell.

Looks, really.

#430 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:40 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 20 March 2017 - 08:35 AM, said:

Well, I didn't think it was THAT meta, I just like MASC on mechs that have hardpoints to poke well (in other words, MASC on mechs other than the CTF-3L and WVR-7D), its fun to play. I didn't even realize it had ECM until I went and looked at it this morning.

Which brings me to the next point, locked MASC isn't a problem for me because I wouldn't run a mech that could run MASC without MASC.

And the Kingfisher isn't stillborn. Hell, it could probably rock the YOLO queue better than the Supernova laser vomit versions, with all them high hardpoints an 70 kph instead of 63.

According to the Holy Writ of Mt Tryhard, the Kingfisher is stillborn for the sin of being an omni with a standard engine. Such an abomination cannot be allowed to come into the world and dilute the purity of Meta. The Church of Skill has spoken!

Good god man, have you never seen the Omen?

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 20 March 2017 - 08:41 AM.

#431 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:41 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 20 March 2017 - 08:39 AM, said:

Just remember that with IS Omni's they have much stronger flaws than Clan ones... The Men Shen would have a Bushwacker type body so flank it and it dies on ST loss.... That being said, it does have the potential to be a strong medium, but being an Omni in MWO hurts it.

An 104.5 kph mech with MASC should be doing the flanking not getting flanked ;)

Yeah its a concern, but with that maneuverability you should be able to keep the enemy at arms length.

#432 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:46 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 March 2017 - 08:40 AM, said:

According to the Holy Writ of Mt Tryhard, the Kingfisher is stillborn for the sin of being an omni with a standard engine. Such an abomination cannot be allowed to come into the world and dilute the purity of Meta. The Church of Skill has spoken!

No I haven't.

I still think the Kingfisher could perform on par with the BLR-2C with 5 LPLs. Similar speed, similar damage output, similar duration assuming 3+2 LPL firing pattern, similar hardpoint height for most of the lasers, more optimal range, ECM...

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 20 March 2017 - 08:49 AM.

#433 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:47 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 March 2017 - 08:40 AM, said:

It's about as meta compliant as you can get outside of the Deimos....

#434 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:48 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 20 March 2017 - 08:39 AM, said:

The Hellspawn I remember it being a tough little nut to crack in MW/4

Your memory may be a littlze hazy :P

#435 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:50 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 20 March 2017 - 08:46 AM, said:

No I haven't.

I still think the Kingfisher could perform on par with the BLR-2C with 5 cLPLs. Similar speed, similar damage output, similar duration assuming 3+2 LPL firing pattern, similar hardpoint height for most of the lasers, more optimal range, ECM...

Deimos:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Deimos
Posted Image

Omen:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Omen
Posted Image

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 20 March 2017 - 08:48 AM, said:

Your memory may be a littlze hazy Posted Image

Not going to deny it... I am in my 30's with two young kids.. sleep is hard to come by...

#436 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:50 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 20 March 2017 - 08:41 AM, said:

An 104.5 kph mech with MASC should be doing the flanking not getting flanked Posted Image

Yeah its a concern, but with that maneuverability you should be able to keep the enemy at arms length.

Also, due to the arm design and placement, side on it looks like the arms should effectively cover the side torsos near completely.

#437 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:53 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 20 March 2017 - 08:50 AM, said:

Not going to deny it... I am in my 30's with two young kids.. sleep is hard to come by...

Yeah pretty sure I one-shot a Hellspawn in MW4 recently, I was in a Fafnir or something and alpha'd. I got a mission failure for alpha striking a second time, one of those arbitrary things in MechWarrior about not being able to alpha strike all the time, had to do the mission again on chain fire.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 20 March 2017 - 08:54 AM.

#438 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:57 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 20 March 2017 - 08:53 AM, said:

Yeah pretty sure I one-shot a Hellspawn in MW4 recently, I was in a Fafnir or something and alpha'd. I got a mission failure for alpha striking a second time, one of those arbitrary things in MechWarrior about not being able to alpha strike all the time, had to do the mission again on chain fire.

Okay, first off, you were in a Fafnir... that thing packs nearly the weight of the Hellspawn just in the HGR's.... Second it's a 45t mech, against other mediums I found it to be rather resilient to incoming fire, from other mediums. As for the Alpha Strike thing, never knew about the limiter in MW/4... there wasn't one in previous titles....

#439 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:00 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 20 March 2017 - 08:57 AM, said:

Okay, first off, you were in a Fafnir... that thing packs nearly the weight of the Hellspawn just in the HGR's.... Second it's a 45t mech, against other mediums I found it to be rather resilient to incoming fire, from other mediums. As for the Alpha Strike thing, never knew about the limiter in MW/4... there wasn't one in previous titles....

That must of been it... I had to do the mission again for some reason and since everyone around here says alpha striking is not supposed to be done all the time and is an affront to honorable Mech combat I assumed that was it... maybe I just died.

Regarding the Hellspawn, it will be about as durable as a Blackjack or Phoenix Hawk in MWO.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 20 March 2017 - 09:00 AM.

#440 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:05 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 20 March 2017 - 09:00 AM, said:

That must of been it... I had to do the mission again for some reason and since everyone around here says alpha striking is not supposed to be done all the time and is an affront to honorable Mech combat I assumed that was it... maybe I just died.

Regarding the Hellspawn, it will be about as durable as a Blackjack or Phoenix Hawk in MWO.

That sounds wrong, I alpha'd all the time in MW4 and never had that problem.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users