16 replies to this topic

#1 SolasTau

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 155 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:52 AM

So... I happened to be recording when I got unexpectedly sent flying in Mining Colony from a jump jet landing gone awry. I had a slightly weird angle of approach, but I had expected to crest the building and then LAND ON IT, not crest the building and land on it only to be bounced off like the some sort of mech sized superball.

Video here:

I jump at 6:32. I land at 6:45 and get my kill stolen because I spent THIRTEEN SECONDS bouncing around in the air like an idiot.

Trust me, I'm a bad enough pilot that I don't need the freakin' MAP making me worse. ;p

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:38 AM

That's freaking awesome!

Make this a FEATURE! No seriously, mech trampolines!

(For "low gravity" scenes... since I know PGI will never lower the gravity, something like that would be just as good for me.)

#3 SolasTau

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 155 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:57 AM

Yeah, it was pretty funny. As I was playing it, since I ran out of fuel cresting the building, I'm all "...why am I still going up?" When I bounced OFF the building, I knew something was screwed up.

Honestly, a map where physics is wonky would be fun. But ideally that would be one map. Maybe some sort of high pressure planet where we're fighting on top of a liquefied gas? I mean, seriously, they could push the scifi angle pretty hard *if they wanted to.*

My poor Viper legs... that landing was so bad...

#4 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:26 AM

Not sure how many of us you had in that drop, but I recognized a Seraphim member in there!

Yeah. Finding that rubber terrain can really mess up your day. At least it wasn't as bad as I had once, I jumped onto a build for cover, and ended up bouncing high up into the sky. This, of course, permitted every enemy beneath me to continue to shoot at me, nearly killing me because I bounced...

#5 SolasTau

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 155 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:08 PM

View PostTesunie, on 21 March 2017 - 10:26 AM, said:

Not sure how many of us you had in that drop, but I recognized a Seraphim member in there!

Two of yours and a big group from [FOX], which is a Draconis Combine unit. That was one of the better drops I've had in my Viper on account of the group being organized and at least somewhat coordinating together. We fought for control of the Mining Colony against the Smoke Jaguar Unit [BEER] and two guys who they found off the street.

The leader of that group from [FOX] was EXCELLENT at getting us moving as a united force.

I'm learning stuff as I make these recordings... like for instance, I should get the TEAM end of match screen in the videos.

#6 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:06 AM

I made post about this "feature" last patch or the one before that already, no reply or anything from PGI.
It's pretty annoying happens on all maps and I have experienced it with Viper and Huntsman so far.

#7 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:42 AM

View PostCurccu, on 22 March 2017 - 02:06 AM, said:

I made post about this "feature" last patch or the one before that already, no reply or anything from PGI.
It's pretty annoying happens on all maps and I have experienced it with Viper and Huntsman so far.

This bug has been in the game for a long while. I suspect it's a hard one to track down, and it will take time to correct once it can be found.

Overall, don't expect a personalized message from PGI relating to every bug, glitch and problem you find in the game. With how many responses get placed on these forums every day, it'd be an unreasonable expectation to believe that they could. If you want a more direct access to them (to make sure they know it's a problem), contact/E-mail their support rather than reporting problems on the forums. You still wont exactly get personalized responses back, but they will respond and you will know they got it. But, I'm sure they are aware of this issue already.

#8 SolasTau

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 155 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:30 AM

View PostCurccu, on 22 March 2017 - 02:06 AM, said:

The second and third videos there are REALLY egregious. But yeah, same bug. You gain what I'm calling "Ghost Altitude" (we're gaining ghost heat, after all) where you keep going up in spite of you not punching the thrusters, and you're essentially unable to act during that time.

In the second video, the fact your mech busted it's legs on that landing is ALSO BS. That was a feather soft landing (so far as multi ton war machines go) if I ever saw one.

#9 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:25 PM

Did you install the Tribes 2 jump jets?

#10 mistlynx4life

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 10:06 PM

As a Mist Lynx pilot, this happens to me about one in every four matches. I'm always jumping and it's not just the added air time, which is bad enough, but the crazy velocity you get that costs you leg armor when it definitely shouldn't. I imagine it's just a geometry thing. *shrug*

#11 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 10:56 PM

View Postmistlynx4life, on 30 July 2017 - 10:06 PM, said:

As a Mist Lynx pilot, this happens to me about one in every four matches. I'm always jumping and it's not just the added air time, which is bad enough, but the crazy velocity you get that costs you leg armor when it definitely shouldn't. I imagine it's just a geometry thing. *shrug*

I'm guessing it's some kind of clipping issue. Something along the lines of "you hit an object, but the game can't tell where you should be, so it sends you off in your last known direction till it can place you". Thus, it acts like "rubber" and bounces you back up into the air till you come along a solid "flat" surface.

I've seen a video where someone (accidentally) had it happen several times in a row. They literally jumped, hit an edge of a building, bounced, hit another edge, bounced again, hit another and bounced again, to finally come to a rest with lots of leg damage... I don't have any links to said video...

#12 RottenFoot

• PipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 12:03 AM

Welcome to the land of NEVER WILL MAKE IT TO E-SPORTS. cause terrain-kills dont really make a player want to participate in shooting mechs if you have to kill a unkillable terrain to survive. I mean if its not the walls grabbing you legs like glue and holding you, hugging you until someone comes along to kill you, its this trampoline bs. In the ideal world a company will take their product seriously. If you advertise a direction you want to go in( e-sports), then you should do what you can to achieve this goal, not spam extra content to push that vision further away and inevitably lie to the consumers. Fix your maps, or give it to the public to fix your maps or give up advertising the e-sports dream.

#13 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 31 July 2017 - 12:39 AM

View PostSolasTau, on 21 March 2017 - 01:52 AM, said:

So... I happened to be recording when I got unexpectedly sent flying in Mining Colony from a jump jet landing gone awry. I had a slightly weird angle of approach, but I had expected to crest the building and then LAND ON IT, not crest the building and land on it only to be bounced off like the some sort of mech sized superball.

Video here:

I jump at 6:32. I land at 6:45 and get my kill stolen because I spent THIRTEEN SECONDS bouncing around in the air like an idiot.

Trust me, I'm a bad enough pilot that I don't need the freakin' MAP making me worse. ;p

Thats nothing. Try jumping on the edge of the heliport in d6/e5...its hard to reproduce but sometimes it launches you hundrets of meters into the air Posted Image

#14 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 01:54 AM

there seems to be some kind of physics issue when your mech has angular velocity in more than one direction (i.e. when you are moving forward and also jumping.) Most of the time it doesn't matter because you just hit a wall or whatever and stop, but occasionally you hit a lip just right and get vaulted into the air.

a separate issue is that (iirc) gravity in MWO is much stronger than it really should be; with gravity an earth-normal 9.8m/s^2 mechs seem really floaty, because while mechs are quite large many maps are not scaled particularly well and your eye interprets them as being roughly human size. See here for more:

so PGI set gravity to a much more severe 36.3m/s^2; most of the time this doesn't matter because you're not falling that far, but if you (somehow!) shoot yourself hundreds of meters into the air the acceleration of gravity will have you moving quite quickly by the time you hit the ground. You'll also notice it if you jump off a high cliff, like the peak on alpine.

#15 Fox With A Shotgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:26 PM

This issue's been around for yonks and they haven't really fixed it. I mean, I could even pull off this glitch using a Dire Wolf. Nothing says WTF like a direwhale flying at ~25-30m/s vertically upwards! :D

This is new, though. Normally the glitch only adds major amounts of vertical velocity, never horizontal. That really looked like your viper landed on a 45-degree spring in a Sonic game o.o

#16 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:02 AM

this has been happening for so long its not even funny...

ive never had that happen in that spot that i remember

BUt if your a flyer, youll know about this all the while,

My sdr-a has had that happen on every single map for years.... It has something to do with the edges of objects and jumpjet

IVe jumped over uav's

#17 John McHobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:41 PM

It has something to do with the edges of objects and jumpjet

Yup hit the edge at a certain speed and angle and up you go.
By this point I believe their fix to this is making JJs not viable on anything, because fixing this requires more understanding of MWO´s spaghetti code than the remainder of the coders can muster.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users