And This Is Why I Hate Lights And Small Mediums...

64 replies to this topic

#21 Paigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:22 AM

View PostTercieI, on 22 March 2017 - 04:54 AM, said:

Quality humblebrag. 7/10.

Not just humble brag. There is an actual point, namely that the scoring system is just weird.

Sometimes, I solokill 3 mechs pretty efficiently, but my score is mediocre because I didn't need a lot of damage to do those kills.
Sometimes, I spray like 700 damage accross all enemy Mechs but do 0 kills. I get awesome score, but my contribution was less than the score indicates.

It's also the other way around:
Score is mostly calculated based on damage dealt.
Lighter Mechs have less damage potential, yet they have to reach the same thresholds (PSR uprating, events, etc) than heavier Mechs.

The whole system is not very sane. See my signature for even funnier examples.

Edited by Paigan, 22 March 2017 - 06:23 AM.

#22 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:28 AM

View PostPaigan, on 22 March 2017 - 06:22 AM, said:

Not just humble brag. There is an actual point, namely that the scoring system is just weird.
Sometimes, I solokill 3 mechs pretty efficiently, but my score is mediocre because I didn't need a lot of damage to do those kills.
Sometimes, I spray like 700 damage accross all enemy Mechs but do 0 kills. I get awesome score, but my contribution was less than the score indicates.
Lighter Mechs have less damage potential, yet they have to reach the same thresholds (PSR uprating, events, etc) than heavier Mechs.

I totally agree.

Another example is when you use "finish him!!" weapon like an AC20. I've had a match once with 3 kills at less than 100dmg due to hitting an open ST or back with an AC20 on lighter mechs. My match score was pathetic. The match was a complete stomp but I felt like I wasted my time.

Edited by mogs01gt, 22 March 2017 - 06:46 AM.

#23 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:48 AM

View PostPaigan, on 22 March 2017 - 06:22 AM, said:

Tell me about it. I managed to turn a certain defeat into victory via capping early and capping often, but does the match score reflect that? Nope, cause I didn't do much damage. Every cap score I flipped to make it happen should be included to my score! I should get at least extra 500 score for this.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#24 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:50 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 22 March 2017 - 06:48 AM, said:

Tell me about it. I managed to turn a certain defeat into victory via capping early and capping often, but does the match score reflect that? Nope, cause I didn't do much damage. Every cap score I flipped to make it happen should be included to my score! I should get at least extra 500 score for this.

Posted Image

Posted Image

lol only 26 higher match score verse someone who did 95dmg and 1 assist......Posted Image

Edited by mogs01gt, 22 March 2017 - 06:51 AM.

#25 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:56 AM

View PostDakota1000, on 22 March 2017 - 05:44 AM, said:

Anyway, the game's all about killing, that's all it is and in any objective based scenario its the best option to just kill your enemies so that they cannot complete their objectives. Giving lights some respectable durability boosts, mobility boosts, or firepower quirks would allow them to be able to compete with heavier mechs in a fair manner.

Alternatively, give us 100+ sq-km maps. Posted Image

#26 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:10 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 22 March 2017 - 04:38 AM, said:

I killed 5 mechs, 3 lights and 2 Med, in a match last night yet only did 275dmg....Yeah pulse lasers are killing machines but I felt a bit cheated. I guess it comes down to, I'd rather have an epic fight verse heavier mechs then a frustrating fight vs a whole bunch of lighter mechs. They werent the best pilots, a lot of them turned their backs to me and I simply alpha'd them.

Mogs

You need to start using Flamers.

#27 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:15 AM

View PostInspectorG, on 22 March 2017 - 07:10 AM, said:

But MWO flamers are as ugly as ****! If only they looked like this:

#28 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:24 AM

View PostInspectorG, on 22 March 2017 - 07:10 AM, said:

My hatred of trolling prevents me..

#29 Vadhalla

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:48 AM

Wow Potato Slayer

You need to drop into my t5 games and fight some humble n00b lights

#30 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:05 AM

View PostVadhalla, on 22 March 2017 - 07:48 AM, said:

Wow Potato Slayer
You need to drop into my t5 games and fight some humble n00b lights

wow person who allowed the point to fly over their head....

#31 Mister Glitchdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 431 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:22 AM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 22 March 2017 - 04:57 AM, said:

humblebragthread.

I don't think so, but I'm but a fledgling forumwarrior, naive to the ways of the world...

View Postmogs01gt, on 22 March 2017 - 05:31 AM, said:

change rewards so that damage isnt so important on match score.

I think this is the point. I occasionally have good matches where I bring down 3-4 kills and they're heavies/assaults. In these matches, my score is inflated with high damage, destroyed components, etc. In addition, it seems that the individual engagements with each of these heavies/assaults was faster, so between each, there were plenty of additional score-inflating opportunities: assists, KMD's, movement scores (flanking, lance-in-formation, etc.).

In contrast, I occasionally have good matches where I bring down 3-4 kills and they're lights. In these matches, I often feel my abilities tested: I have to shoot accurately, I have to move and position well, I have to coordinate with my team effectively, and there's even a thread around here where players talk about how hard it is to hold a lock while in close on a small ECM-equipped fast mover.They were usually at least as challenging, if not more (skill of enemy pilots being the largest variable) but by the end of the match, I find myself with a paltry (barely 200) average-reducing score, because each kill usually amounted to 1 component destroyed and <50 pts. of damage. In addition, I find that those 3-4 light engagements took most of my time in the match, so my score again suffers without as many of those score-inflating opportunities described above.

TLDR: Killing well-played lights is at least as challenging as killing well-played heavies/assaults, but the scoring system punishes players who accomplish the former at the expense of the latter.

#32 xe N on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:55 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 22 March 2017 - 04:38 AM, said:

I killed 5 mechs, 3 lights and 2 Med, in a match last night yet only did 275dmg....Yeah pulse lasers are killing machines but I felt a bit cheated. I guess it comes down to, I'd rather have an epic fight verse heavier mechs then a frustrating fight vs a whole bunch of lighter mechs. They werent the best pilots, a lot of them turned their backs to me and I simply alpha'd them.

Mogs

I once killed 2 100 ton Assaults (Direwolf) in a row in my (medium) GRF-3M. And I only needed 2 alpha strikes per kill - they didn't even had the chance to return fire.

I guess it comes down to, I'd rather have an epic fight verse heavier mechs then a frustrating fight vs a whole bunch of light weight 100 ton mechs.

Really, weight should increase to 200 tons. .. Oh wait, that reduced mobility would make killing them even easier.

Edited by xe N on, 22 March 2017 - 08:58 AM.

#33 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:23 AM

View PostMister Glitchdragon, on 22 March 2017 - 08:22 AM, said:

I don't think so, but I'm but a fledgling forumwarrior, naive to the ways of the world...
I think this is the point. I occasionally have good matches where I bring down 3-4 kills and they're heavies/assaults. In these matches, my score is inflated with high damage, destroyed components, etc. In addition, it seems that the individual engagements with each of these heavies/assaults was faster, so between each, there were plenty of additional score-inflating opportunities: assists, KMD's, movement scores (flanking, lance-in-formation, etc.).
In contrast, I occasionally have good matches where I bring down 3-4 kills and they're lights. In these matches, I often feel my abilities tested: I have to shoot accurately, I have to move and position well, I have to coordinate with my team effectively, and there's even a thread around here where players talk about how hard it is to hold a lock while in close on a small ECM-equipped fast mover.They were usually at least as challenging, if not more (skill of enemy pilots being the largest variable) but by the end of the match, I find myself with a paltry (barely 200) average-reducing score, because each kill usually amounted to 1 component destroyed and <50 pts. of damage. In addition, I find that those 3-4 light engagements took most of my time in the match, so my score again suffers without as many of those score-inflating opportunities described above.
TLDR: Killing well-played lights is at least as challenging as killing well-played heavies/assaults, but the scoring system punishes players who accomplish the former at the expense of the latter.

Exactly. It goes both ways with lights. Light pilots arent rewarded fairly for performing a lights roles by scouting, holding locks, tag/narc and killing other lights. Then heavier mech pilots arent rewarded for killing a light due to low damage. I ignore lights most of the time because is not worth my time to engage them unless they are threatening a high priority teammate.

Edited by mogs01gt, 22 March 2017 - 09:24 AM.

#34 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:01 AM

View PostMystere, on 22 March 2017 - 06:56 AM, said:

Alternatively, give us 100+ sq-km maps. Posted Image

If only this were possible. It'd unfortunately get shouted down by all the "what is this? a walking simulator?" blowhards.

#35 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:15 AM

View PostAlan Davion, on 22 March 2017 - 10:01 AM, said:

If only this were possible. It'd unfortunately get shouted down by all the "what is this? a walking simulator?" blowhards.

Well, it's a good thing then that War Thunder is a flying simulator (among other things, of course). Posted Image

#36 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:19 AM

Managed to end a game with zero team damage inflicted by bumping into them. #humblebrag

#37 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:19 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 22 March 2017 - 05:36 AM, said:

Perfect example of PGI's forced manipulation of lights. That much damage shouldnt be possible in a light mech.

Umm... thats not an example of PGI forcing any manipulation anywhere. High damages in Light mechs is usually a result of players with Assault LURmers getting together to make potato salad ;) .

#38 xe N on

• 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:51 AM

View PostRushin Roulette, on 22 March 2017 - 10:19 AM, said:

Umm... thats not an example of PGI forcing any manipulation anywhere. High damages in Light mechs is usually a result of players with Assault LURmers getting together to make potato salad Posted Image .

Or of ignoring lights instead of shredding their legs ;)

#39 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:00 PM

I like beer.

#40 chucklesMuch

• Shredder