Competitive Roundtable With Russ Bullock And Developers, Friday 31St Of March!

270 replies to this topic

#241 Crockdaddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSaint Louis

Posted 02 April 2017 - 01:25 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 02 April 2017 - 11:23 AM, said:

I'll give you 1000 "insert MLX Illuminati conspiracy" posts to fix that for you.

Death, being your um unit leader and all ... can I tax you like 8500 posts so I can make the cut off too??

#242 CainenEX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 398 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 01:40 PM

View PostJayRtech, on 01 April 2017 - 02:39 PM, said:

just make a 1 v 1 match maker and we will listen to the top 25 people.

that way no excuses on, who knows how to play or not,

with no relying on teams for help.

just your skills alone to keep you alive.

or a FFA match maker would be nice :-D

also, what makes someone a professional mechwarrior gamer? competition match?

That is a terrible idea...

Typically the league admins and organizers offer the best insight. Also top teams like EMP, SJR and D5 also offer a lot of insight.

Edited by CainenEX, 02 April 2017 - 01:43 PM.

#243 Gustav Kuriga

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 01:45 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 02 April 2017 - 08:33 AM, said:

Don't let him get you riled up. He's trying to make a PGI thread directed at comp play about him, an admitted non-comp player. He is either trolling or does not know how to navigate the forums to find the section for non-competitive whale threads apparently...

He's trying to say being a comp player isn't what pays for the game. Players who pay for the game pay for the game. It's a self-evident truth, and you do not seem to realize that paying players is a more inclusive group than comp players. Paying players can include both non-comp and comp players, and so the devs have to listen to both groups to some extent. If they just listened to the hardcore comp players, they'd have no playerbase whatsover and the game would likely die.

#244 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 02 April 2017 - 02:27 PM

View PostCrockdaddy, on 02 April 2017 - 01:25 PM, said:

Death, being your um unit leader and all ... can I tax you like 8500 posts so I can make the cut off too??

Sure, for Dear Coordinator Crockdaddy.

#245 PoorDecisions

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 124 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 02 April 2017 - 02:34 PM

View PostTed Wayz, on 01 April 2017 - 11:13 AM, said:

The competitive scene doesn't pay for this forum. People like me do.

Take a back seat while the adults speak.

Wait wait wait.

Are you claiming that competitive players don't pay PGI for products?

Care to elaborate on that f***ing GEM of a statement you got there?

#246 mdmzero0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Shoutcaster
  • WC 2017 Shoutcaster
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 02:39 PM

View PostGustav Kuriga, on 02 April 2017 - 01:45 PM, said:

He's trying to say being a comp player isn't what pays for the game. Players who pay for the game pay for the game. It's a self-evident truth, and you do not seem to realize that paying players is a more inclusive group than comp players. Paying players can include both non-comp and comp players, and so the devs have to listen to both groups to some extent. If they just listened to the hardcore comp players, they'd have no playerbase whatsover and the game would likely die.

Agreed, so you probably shouldn't support the guy telling comp players to shut up.

#247 PoorDecisions

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 124 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 02 April 2017 - 02:41 PM

Competitive gaming involves a group of players who likely pay a hell of a lot more to PGI than non-comp players do. If we looked at the % of players in both groups who have a large number of mechs, I bet the vast majority of competitive players would have a huge list of mechs while most non competitive players have far fewer.

Think of it like the rich vs the poor in paying taxes. The top 1% of rich people in the US pay the vast majority of the country's tax income despite having fewer numbers.

I'd be willing to bet that's exactly the case with comp vs non-comp.

On top of that, I personally know several people who've started playing this game and have spent money on mech packs because of the competitive scene. They got wrapped up in MWOWC16 because of my enthusiasm being in it and watching matches together etc. Competitive play BRINGS IN more players who spend money.

Either way, that ... fellow ... is talking down to and about competitive players as if he's better than we/they are based on his obviously incorrect perception of reality and deserves to be put in his place.

Edited by PoorDecisions, 02 April 2017 - 02:45 PM.

#248 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 02:56 PM

View PostLances107, on 31 March 2017 - 10:10 PM, said:

Especially when you started talking about restricting certain mechs from it. My thoughts on this is look what happened when you did this with scouting. You gave the IS 55 tons on scouting to help them out, nuked the clan stromcrow by dropping the weight to 50 tons. No surprise people run griffin in scouting dominating via srm load outs. If your insistent on competitive play then let people bring what they want. At some point your going to have to tell some IS pilots to grow up. I think many know what kind of mechs are going to find themselves on the banned list for this due to popular belief. So if you want people to duke it out then let them duke out.

Could anybody point me to any information on these "mech restrictions"? I don't really want to watch/read it all just to get specific phrase. - thanks

#249 PoorDecisions

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 124 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 02 April 2017 - 03:02 PM

View PostG4LV4TR0N, on 02 April 2017 - 02:56 PM, said:

Could anybody point me to any information on these "mech restrictions"? I don't really want to watch/read it all just to get specific phrase. - thanks

Competitive play often times restricts the pool of available mechs to only those that are available for c-bills as of a certain date. This is to avoid a pay-to-win scenario where one person who has afforded themselves a hero mech or loyalty mech or whatever gains an advantage that another player may not have access to without paying real money.

An example is the loyalty Summoner.

#250 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 02 April 2017 - 03:54 PM

I am merely trying to point out that if he doesn't care about comp play, he really really doesn't need to diminish them in an official thread specifically for them...

There are thousands upon thousands of threads that could be relevant to him and his preferences, but his attitude is to jump in and say "screw comp players, lets talk about me"

He doesn't care that the roundtable was less about gameplay/mechanics and more about making it easier for leagues to do their thing.

Is there a place for his agenda? Sure! But if anything, he should consider that trying to hijack a thread won't exactly win him points for accomplishing said agenda, especially when trolling with comments "comp players don't put money into this game, I do"

#251 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 04:01 PM

View PostPoorDecisions, on 02 April 2017 - 03:02 PM, said:

Competitive play often times restricts the pool of available mechs to only those that are available for c-bills as of a certain date. This is to avoid a pay-to-win scenario where one person who has afforded themselves a hero mech or loyalty mech or whatever gains an advantage that another player may not have access to without paying real money.

An example is the loyalty Summoner.

Ah, in such case it's all fine. I was worried that certain chassis like Urbanmech would get prohibited because of subpar performance.

#252 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 02 April 2017 - 04:02 PM

You won't see it in comp because it is of sub par performance.

So while not limited from choice, you wouldn't run one if you actually want to win.

#253 LanXang

• PipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 04:31 PM

Wtf kind of logic is that? Competitive players shouldn't give input in a thread about the comp scene?????????

#254 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 05:08 PM

I'm a competitive player and clearly a whale. I am an example of someone paying for this game, no doubt about it. So, maybe instead of trolling folks on the forum, you should spend some of your time with pixels getting better at the game and not being a jerk on a discussion thread.

Not a good look TW.

#255 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 02 April 2017 - 05:23 PM

View PostLukoi Banacek, on 02 April 2017 - 05:08 PM, said:

I'm a competitive player and clearly a whale. I am an example of someone paying for this game, no doubt about it. So, maybe instead of trolling folks on the forum, you should spend some of your time with pixels getting better at the game and not being a jerk on a discussion thread.

Not a good look TW.

I might be a bit of both. Maybe. :)

#256 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 02 April 2017 - 06:09 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 02 April 2017 - 10:34 AM, said:

Darn, I just missed the cutoff...

Forumpotato.

#257 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 02 April 2017 - 06:13 PM

Ah, Ted. Living up to your reputation as always.

#258 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 07:00 PM

View PostLanXang, on 02 April 2017 - 04:31 PM, said:

Wtf kind of logic is that? Competitive players shouldn't give input in a thread about the comp scene?????????

A thread initiated by the developers, no less, specifically to engage competitive players.

View PostWintersdark, on 02 April 2017 - 06:09 PM, said:

Forumpotato.

am cri errytiem

#259 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 02 April 2017 - 07:06 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 02 April 2017 - 04:02 PM, said:

You won't see it in comp because it is of sub par performance.

So while not limited from choice, you wouldn't run one if you actually want to win.

Hey we won a game V JGX with a kitfox :P

#260 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:20 PM

View Postlive1991, on 02 April 2017 - 07:06 PM, said:

Hey we won a game V JGX with a kitfox Posted Image

Yeah, but Kitfoxes have like... a role, man.

Urbies are just bad Ravens. And nobody even uses Ravens anymore.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users