202 replies to this topic

#181 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:50 PM

Epic. I rolled so hard my Catapult ended up Smiling.
Posted Image
Then he looked in the mirror.
Posted Image

(Note: Old, pre-rescale Catapult, busy earning cbills for the mech collages I mentioned earlier.)

#182 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:12 PM

Back when the HBK-llC dropped:

Posted Image

#183 Eddie Money

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:31 PM

I glued 3 med lasers, 1 UAC20, and 2 SRM6s to my Huntsman because I'm a madman and wanted to drive a miniature Atlas.

#184 Eddie Money

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:43 PM

They said I could be anything I want.

Posted Image
So I became an Assault 'Mech.

#185 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:55 PM

Almost an assault mech, that UAC20 is going down fast hahaha. Looks fun though!

If a mini Atlas is what you want get Orions, that is exactly what they are.

#186 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:33 PM

Huh. I'm sad my initial response seems to have poofed or never sent.

I said it looks great. May want to use that last 0.1 tons in armor. Also buff the armor of your arms by using some of the cockpit armor or reducing one of the SRM-6s to an SRM-4 or trading one ton of SRM-6 ammo (that's a lot of SRM ammo for just 2 SRM-6s).

#187 Eddie Money

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:13 PM

After a couple tries with it, I agreed. I pulled out one ton of SRM ammo and loaded up to maxed Arm armor and squeezed 42 armor into the legs. Thanks for the tip!

#188 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:50 PM

Berend, stop being an *** =p

As for the PHX 1B - the torso mount for the PPC is higher; you also don't risk losing everything when an arm gets amputated.

The huntsman is an excellent platform of er large/er ppc/gauss sniping. Certain hunchback IIc are as well.

Edit 1: You know what does more than an ac/20 at about the same range?

44 SRMs on Artemis.

Huntsman Pakhet plus... whatever arms. I forget. Asrm4 and Asrm6 in each arm. Asrm6 x2 in each torso.

Go to town.

Edit 2: the pro is, a lot of 'meta' heavy and assaults look down on a mere medium, and stand still for you. Makes coring them out really easy. Still working on that SRM swarm headshot.

Edited by Jingseng, 14 April 2017 - 08:56 PM.

#189 Eddie Money

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:23 PM

SRM brawling in a Phucket sounds hilarious. I'll have to try it.

Is it, like, VIABLE though? Or just for fun?

#190 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:30 PM

extremely viable. It is one of the strongest clanside for scouting mode in faction play. In qp, careful measured play (looking for the right opp to strike) can easily net you two - three kills per death (lol). Also, you will scare teh beejesus out of any light mech.

Must mention: It's the Pakhet ST and P variant Arms. But you can't buy the Pakhet ST separately. It is the hero variant, so you'd have to get the chassis... either by MC for the mech (plus mech bay) alone, or the pack + add-on.

If you like the huntsman, consider the pack. Reasons numerously and multiply aforementioned.

Edited by Jingseng, 14 April 2017 - 09:39 PM.

#191 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:32 PM

View PostJingseng, on 14 April 2017 - 08:50 PM, said:

Berend, stop being an *** =p

Lol - i had to ask, this thread is literally all over the place...

Anyway, OP perhaps you should check out this site which lists a lot of good mechs and builds: http://metamechs.com

#192 chucklesMuch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:59 AM

View PostEddie Money, on 13 April 2017 - 02:56 PM, said:

Jumping mechs and more mobile brawlers that still have the capability to take a hit. That seems to be where I am, then.

Timber wolf is good brawler (SRM/SPL)

Edit: Carries on reading... cool light... the locust is fun; my personal favourites ATM are Vipers & cicada's (yes medium by weight, light by nature)... very fun!

I think that cheetahs are prolly more user friendly, but maybe that's just me.

And don't let the upfront cost of clam (Omni) mechs put you off... I tend to find them cheaper in the long run - though you do get to do less mechlab tinkering with omni's :(

Edited by chucklesMuch, 15 April 2017 - 02:17 AM.

#193 Pilotshark

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 61 posts
  • LocationUnder heavy enemy fire

Posted 15 April 2017 - 06:55 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 10 April 2017 - 10:53 PM, said:

If you want to buy 3 mechs so you can level to elite.. go with the IS HBK, 4SP, 4H and 4P for most flexibility. For you starter bonus cash you can buy all 3, upgrade them, and grab a STD250 engine to play around in. then use that extra money to try and buy a bunch of different weapons.

the chassis will let you try out auto cannons, energy, missiles, Gauss, PPC ext.. Basically a very good way to try out the game, get a nice chassis and have some fun in a fairly tanky/forgiving solid mech.

another good IS option is the shadow Hawk, basically kinda like an HBK with JJ's

If you want to go clan, the stormcrow is a good option. While you only will be able to buy one, it is a decent enough mech that you can grind with it to earn the extra cash to get 2 more but it will take you a while to get them.

basically, medium mechs are a good way to learn the game, they are more forgiving in terms of positioning, and you don't need to carry to win. You can play around with all weapons while you learn the game and the maps, and play with many types of builds in these mechs, that can be brawler, meduim range skirmisher, or longer ranged builds.

So yea, like the other guy said, HBK for IS (or shadow hawk+ one of the shadow hawks has a nice XL-275 in it for XL builds) the cheaper way to go

stormcrow for clanners a bit more flexible in the end, but more expensive.

Everything said here is good advice for a new player. Heed this wisdom Posted Image

Pilotshark

#194 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Revolutionary
  • The Revolutionary
  • 565 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:41 AM

Don't forget to do all of the tutorial achievements, they get you another 5,000,200 c-bils on top of the 12.5M you get from the cadet bonus.

#195 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:57 AM

Considering that the skill tree system is getting revamped/replaced with a far more dynamic system that does NOT require 3 mechs to master (or even 2).... I'm not sure why people are still pushing that old news. I doubt our new guy is gonna churn through 3 variants of the same mech within a month to be able to reap the reward, especially since that's about all the time we have left with the current archaic system.

#196 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Revolutionary
  • The Revolutionary
  • 565 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:13 PM

In one month I've mastered Cheetahs and Jenner II's, elited Panthers, and got some basics done for Wolfhounds. Granted, that was with premium time for the bonus exp. I've actually still got a few days left. I should be able to master the Panthers and get speed tweak at least for the Wolfhounds before my premium runs dry.

Do we even know what the final form for the new system will be yet? I thought they were going back to the drawing board after the last test.

#197 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 02:46 PM

View PostKoniving, on 15 April 2017 - 08:57 AM, said:

Considering that the skill tree system is getting revamped/replaced with a far more dynamic system that does NOT require 3 mechs to master (or even 2).... I'm not sure why people are still pushing that old news. I doubt our new guy is gonna churn through 3 variants of the same mech within a month to be able to reap the reward, especially since that's about all the time we have left with the current archaic system.

May want to reserve judgement until pts hits.

#198 Alexander of Macedon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:34 PM

View PostEddie Money, on 14 April 2017 - 01:45 PM, said:

I had enough C-Bills leftover to also buy and fully kit a Jenner JR7-D.

Buuut... I was spooked enough by the "Lights are hard" to put down some money to get a Huntsman, too, and C-Bills to kit it. Now I just need to pick a variant...

Try this build for the HMN-B. I just bought it, theorycrafted that, and screwed around on my first couple matches with it.

Spoiler

Damn solid build on a really nice 'mech.

#199 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:33 PM

View PostKoniving, on 15 April 2017 - 08:57 AM, said:

Because many of the so called gurus of wisdom and advice here simply regurgitate what they have heard elsewhere and before, without doing any critical thinking on their own. Because pretending to be smart is low effort and actually being smart is really hard. Because a culture of short cuts has been glorified over hard work and actual achievement. Because sheep go Baaaaaaaa.

#200 Flak Kannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 581 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:06 PM

View PostEddie Money, on 13 April 2017 - 08:41 PM, said:

I did try the Hunchback IIC, yes.

But I think I really liked being just so damn fast. That was a big part of why I felt I could be very effective in the games I played - harassing, getting behind people and unloading damage, and being impossible to pin down.

That said, I'm not sure what I'd be looking for in the Light Mechs market.

Ok,

Back into the thread.

So, I read down to this above post.

Speed can be life. Truly.

SRM6 racks drop alot of damage.

Thats why I recommended the Griffins and Wolverines. YOu can max out the XL engine ( a big initial cost ), pack in 3 or 4 SRM6 racks, 3-6 Jump Jets, and have a speed of 103-110kph with and XL 350 or 106-114kph with a XL 360. Put in max Jump Jets.. 300 or 400 rounds of SRM ammo, 3 Medium Lasers and you have a tankier Fast Skimisher.

The Jenner IIc is a little Faster, but your loadout and Alpha damge will be lower, or your speed will be the same your alpha will be higher, but with alot less armor...

Trade offs...

The Wolverine and Griffin hit that sweet spot but really take time to learn how to jump Brawl .. in air twisting, and in air accuracy and deflection shooting with SRMS... leading that target. Just like shooting ducks with a Shotgun...

Ill read the rest to see if you bought an mech...

Enjoi
\
"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users