• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:09 AM

View PostKellaine, on 21 April 2017 - 05:16 AM, said:

LOL

Thank you,

That brings up another point. I keep forgetting to make. If LRM's are so ineffective, then why do they do so much damage?

Your arguments look so feeble when compared to that.

LRM's are the mortal enemy of direct fire weapons because if you cant move from cover then you cant use your big guns................... Then you say. Oh I easily moved out of the way of them.... only had to run for cover and was not able to move from cover without getting nailed again by a weapon that you scream should be banned because it is ineffective. But in fact your arguments lend credence that LRM's may be the most powerful weapon on the field..... Hmmmmm. Could it be... lol

Please name for me the top teams on the leaderboard for FW that use LRMs. This isn't about stat shaming anyone, just identifying what works in reality vs what you want to believe is true.

Please list the top competitive teams using LRMs too.

LRMs do a lot of damage BECAUSE they are bad. They are only useful against bad players because good players will do 100 pts to your CT with direct fire while you splatter 100 pts over their whole mech. It's the same reason an AC10 is better than LB10X.

KHAN ATTAKHAN above is probably a great guy. I'm sure he loves the game, plays and has fun. He absolutely should play what he enjoys and has fun doing. Nothing wrong, at all, with that. However his win/loss is in the 0.5 to 0.75 range. His choices in how he plays means that having him on your team makes it more likely you will lose - likely because an LRM assault is a terrible choice for winning matches. It's nice for screwing your team to pad your own stats but it's not good for winning.

Which is LRMs in a nut she'll. It's why especially high performing players, players who really enjoy winning, rage about LRMs so much. They know and have confirmed that LRM boating teammates statistically reduce your odds of winning.

#42 Jaybles-The-PegLeg-PotatoCaptain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 383 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:16 AM

View PostKellaine, on 21 April 2017 - 05:16 AM, said:

LOL

Thank you,

That brings up another point. I keep forgetting to make. If LRM's are so ineffective, then why do they do so much damage?

Your arguments look so feeble when compared to that.

LRM's are the mortal enemy of direct fire weapons because if you cant move from cover then you cant use your big guns................... Then you say. Oh I easily moved out of the way of them.... only had to run for cover and was not able to move from cover without getting nailed again by a weapon that you scream should be banned because it is ineffective. But in fact your arguments lend credence that LRM's may be the most powerful weapon on the field..... Hmmmmm. Could it be... lol

Let's do a thought experiment. Let's put a Catapult A1 with 6 lrm5s 500m away from a Catapult K2 with dual Gauss. Both have clear lines of sight, but each is stuck in quicksand and can not move, they can however torso twist. Which mech would you pick to kill the other first?

#43 Xannatharr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 425 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:31 AM

View PostJaybles, on 21 April 2017 - 08:16 AM, said:

Let's do a thought experiment. Let's put a Catapult A1 with 6 lrm5s 500m away from a Catapult K2 with dual Gauss. Both have clear lines of sight, but each is stuck in quicksand and can not move, they can however torso twist. Which mech would you pick to kill the other first?

I think we all know the 'mech with Gauss would core out the CT of the LRM 'mech, while the LRM 'mech would scatter it's damage all over the legs arms and torsos of the Gauss 'mech.

Xann

#44 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:45 AM

Did this test at 700m with the best LRM boat in the game, the Awesome, vs a ERLL BLR. We both moved, enabling the Awesome to spread damage however no breaking LOS - essentially gave the Awesome every possible advatage and played stupidly with a sub-optimal direct fire build. Still won with the BLR. A 5 LPL BLR just rushing it would have been easier. Spread the LRMs more and done more focused damage as well as easily closing to inside 180m.

If there was a way to make LRMs truly be and useful against good opponents (they're fine against bads) it would have been worked out and deployed. We'd all be running it, you'd see it in MRBC and MWOWC and top teams in FW. If LRMs worked I'd run the **** out of them. I'm always a fan of more stuff being viable and more variety.

However as they're not as good them running them gimps my team significantly and I play with people who really enjoy winning and I enjoy winning so for me, "fun" is doing what wins in a lot of ways.

#45 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:41 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 21 April 2017 - 01:38 AM, said:

You don't have to shoot LRMs at me to force me back to cover. I willingly enter cover every time my weapons are on cooldown or when I don't have enough heat capacity for another alpha.

When I run a 2xGauss ERPPC Night Gyr, I sit in cover 5 seconds, then pop out to deliver 45 damage. Enemy LRMs can't do nothing to stop me from doing that. Even when I'm NARCed I just sit behind hard cover and fire every 5 seconds. Even if you brought LRM100 mech, 40 damage to a single component is more deadly than that.

Clan laser vomit is even more extreme: you spend 1.5 seconds outside of cover to deliver up to 68 points of damage (2xCLPL+6xERML), and then wait about 12 seconds behind cover while cooling down.

My most extreme example of LRM ineffectiveness was being the last man on my team vs 3 enemy LRM boats. I was piloting a IS Marauder (with XL I might add) armed with 3xLPL 2xMPL. What's even funnier, it was on Terra Therma, the hottest map there is.
I only had 400 meters of effective range but the LPLs on this mech have a 0.6 second burn duration. Before they could even target lock me, my laser burn was already over. And big XL really helps in stepping back into cover.

Okay. I'll play along.

Because you've been sitting behind the same piece of terrain for 5 seconds at a time... I've managed to swing around to the side or even behind you making your terrain useless in my Huntsmen (which moves faster than you do). I utilize my JJs to reduce my exposure time and laser your side and depart with LRMs landing on you.

From there, you panic. You decide it's best to be behind cover, rather than let me continue to do that, so you move. Either you charge me (because I'm a "silly LRM boat") or you decide to find another piece of cover that may be effective against me.

Meanwhile, my team might take advantage of this, or I just reposition again, getting even closer to you. Close enough to pop a UAV above you. Then, I use distance to my advantage here, and back up a little so I can shoot indirectly for a few moments, as I cool down from my lasering episode. You, of course respond by backing up enough so you can shoot down the UAV above you.

Then, I charge in. I see your side torso is weak, so I laser it open some more. You shield it after a devestating barrage, but it may not be enough to kill me. I shoot my LRMs off, and the spread takes your side torso from you, as I myself duck behind cover, counting on my Adv Target Decay to continue to hold the lock just long enough for my missiles to land home.

Now what?

Or, of course, it is also just as likely that you shoot me a few times with accuracy, and just kill me with me only getting a few laser volleys off on you, and most likely (because I'll try to be within 600m before I do), a few pattering of LRMs on you.

Who knows. I've had each drama play out, many times. And often times, even in this second scenario, I still managed to deal 200+ damage to the enemy. I've gone tunnel with my LRM based Mad Dog before, and with four ERMLs dealt 200+ damage. (I was following my team, and they went tunnel. I was not afraid to do so, unlike a typical boat you may encounter.)

We could continue to come up with hundreds, no thousands, of imaginary situations. We could go back and forth on this. Giving each side an advantage and disadvantage as we go.

Of course, we could also go by "typical" LRM user behavior... which would be... Well... Yeah. "Indirect only" combined against "direct fire weapons"... Yeah. LRMs don't stand much of a chance in a 1v1, and even then they can be a situational tool. One match an aid, the next a hindrance.

As I've said before, most people see only one strength with LRMs, and they don't progress any farther from that. Then, they try to play it "always to that strength", and never realize there is so much more. It would be like looking at LPLs and never seeing ERPPC and Guass as possible weapons...

View PostWillard Phule, on 21 April 2017 - 07:43 AM, said:

The whole "wait until you hear a beep, then fire and forget" ...

I just wanted to comment that LRMs are not "fire and forget". You must maintain a lock on your target for the flights duration, or at least almost all of it. Otherwise, they stop tracking.

SSRMs I believe are the only "fire and forget" weapon. I've never seen them lose tracking after a lock was lost. But, it is rare to lose a lock for SSRMs while they are in flight...

View PostMischiefSC, on 21 April 2017 - 08:09 AM, said:

They know and have confirmed that LRM boating teammates statistically reduce your odds of winning.

As much as I like my LRMs, and I seem to do well with them, I'd have to agree that LRM boats tend to be a detriment more often than an aid. A single boat isn't necessarily an issue depending upon how they play it. A team of boats (and no dedicated spotters) often spells disaster.

It's one of the reasons I constantly speak out against boating LRMs. They have their advantages and I'm willing to see their strengths, but I am not blind to their weaknesses either, and many those are...

The Cat A1 with 6 LRM5s I always thought was a silly build... Takes a long time for it to deal it's damage, must stare at an opponent even more than normal for LRMs because they tend to chain fire (kinda must with Ghost Heat on LRMs), etc.

However, your test would be kinda unfair... LRMs have strength in their utility. This utility is the ability to also be fired indirectly, to suppress the enemy as well as deal spread damage. This test is nothing more than a staring contest between two turrets.

Although, there is cockpit shake to consider on the LRM side, however once your reticule has been placed the shake means nothing as your shots will still hit where you need them to.

I have found from my Stock Mech Monday days that there typically is a minimum team size before LRMs become "ineffective". They need allies to get locks, even if you are getting locks yourself. You'd be surprised at what a few LRMs tossed here or there can do to alter a fight into your favor. If you don't have enough of those allies, you are a lot harder pressed to do your job. Of course, this is even with me being on the front. (That minimum range, and we were playing with nothing but IS mechs stock, so there is also that. I used the 4J, it was perfect for the job.)

View PostXannatharr, on 21 April 2017 - 08:31 AM, said:

I think we all know the 'mech with Gauss would core out the CT of the LRM 'mech, while the LRM 'mech would scatter it's damage all over the legs arms and torsos of the Gauss 'mech.

Xann

On this note, though I'm not exactly disagreeing with you... at which state are we taking these builds from? Before LRM5 spread was changed? Or after? When LRMs flew at their fastest (which didn't last long), or current?

Currently, that build (the LRM5 spam) is no longer considered as "viable" as it once did, due to the spread increase. Before hand people claimed (I can't say as I've never used the build myself) that it would just drill the CT of any target they shot at. Now, they say take LRM10s instead... Some people have even tried to update those designed with Artemis on the LRM5 spam... Posted Image

View PostMischiefSC, on 21 April 2017 - 08:45 AM, said:

Did this test at 700m with the best LRM boat in the game, the Awesome, vs a ERLL BLR. We both moved, enabling the Awesome to spread damage however no breaking LOS - essentially gave the Awesome every possible advatage and played stupidly with a sub-optimal direct fire build. Still won with the BLR. A 5 LPL BLR just rushing it would have been easier. Spread the LRMs more and done more focused damage as well as easily closing to inside 180m.

If there was a way to make LRMs truly be and useful against good opponents (they're fine against bads) it would have been worked out and deployed. We'd all be running it, you'd see it in MRBC and MWOWC and top teams in FW. If LRMs worked I'd run the **** out of them. I'm always a fan of more stuff being viable and more variety.

However as they're not as good them running them gimps my team significantly and I play with people who really enjoy winning and I enjoy winning so for me, "fun" is doing what wins in a lot of ways.

Although I understand the meaning of your test, I don't believe that would be a fair match up, especially considering the rules placed on the engagement (no breaking line of sight, same weight, etc). Then again, I'll comment that I don't believe in LRM boats, for much of the reasons you've mentioned.

I find LRMs are best on more nimble mechs, ones that can poke and slid away. If Radar Dep and Adv. Target Decay (and ECM as well probably) are each being excluded form this test... I'd be using my LRMs in a hit and run fashion. No need to stare an opponent down when I don't have to. Get within 600m or closer, and approach carefully.

Though, I wish to say I'm not denying the power of direct fire weapons. It probably would win most matches against LRM specific builds. LRM builds (particularly of my style of play) normally seem to require even more skill to use than direct fire weapons, especially against higher skilled opponents. Thus, making direct fire weapons not just simpler, but also easier and more reliable to use.

I don't know if I'm just being confusing here now... Just recently woke up. Sorry if I rambled again. Posted Image

#46 Jaybles-The-PegLeg-PotatoCaptain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 383 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:00 AM

View PostTesunie, on 21 April 2017 - 10:41 AM, said:

The Cat A1 with 6 LRM5s I always thought was a silly build... Takes a long time for it to deal it's damage, must stare at an opponent even more than normal for LRMs because they tend to chain fire (kinda must with Ghost Heat on LRMs), etc.

However, your test would be kinda unfair... LRMs have strength in their utility. This utility is the ability to also be fired indirectly, to suppress the enemy as well as deal spread damage. This test is nothing more than a staring contest between two turrets.

Although, there is cockpit shake to consider on the LRM side, however once your reticule has been placed the shake means nothing as your shots will still hit where you need them to.

I would love to see video of you consistently hitting a moving mech with indirect fire. The stationary part was to help out the A1. There is no utility in spread damage when your opponent is pinpointing. If both mechs are moving and using cover, the engagement vastly favors the K2, especially if it can close to within 180m. Anyhow awhile back 2 comp teams hashed this out with one side bringing lrms and the other bringing PPFLD or laser vomit. I'm trying to hunt down the video as it seems relevant to this discussion. Not sure if anyone else following know the video I am talking about. Fairly certain NGNG commentated the match as well.

I found 2

Edited by Jaybles, 21 April 2017 - 11:05 AM.

#47 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:30 AM

View PostTesunie, on 21 April 2017 - 10:41 AM, said:

Okay. I'll play along.

Because you've been sitting behind the same piece of terrain for 5 seconds at a time... I've managed to swing around to the side or even behind you making your terrain useless in my Huntsmen (which moves faster than you do). I utilize my JJs to reduce my exposure time and laser your side and depart with LRMs landing on you.

From there, you panic. You decide it's best to be behind cover, rather than let me continue to do that, so you move. Either you charge me (because I'm a "silly LRM boat") or you decide to find another piece of cover that may be effective against me.

Meanwhile, my team might take advantage of this, or I just reposition again, getting even closer to you. Close enough to pop a UAV above you. Then, I use distance to my advantage here, and back up a little so I can shoot indirectly for a few moments, as I cool down from my lasering episode. You, of course respond by backing up enough so you can shoot down the UAV above you.

Then, I charge in. I see your side torso is weak, so I laser it open some more. You shield it after a devestating barrage, but it may not be enough to kill me. I shoot my LRMs off, and the spread takes your side torso from you, as I myself duck behind cover, counting on my Adv Target Decay to continue to hold the lock just long enough for my missiles to land home.

Now what?

Or, of course, it is also just as likely that you shoot me a few times with accuracy, and just kill me with me only getting a few laser volleys off on you, and most likely (because I'll try to be within 600m before I do), a few pattering of LRMs on you.

Who knows. I've had each drama play out, many times. And often times, even in this second scenario, I still managed to deal 200+ damage to the enemy. I've gone tunnel with my LRM based Mad Dog before, and with four ERMLs dealt 200+ damage. (I was following my team, and they went tunnel. I was not afraid to do so, unlike a typical boat you may encounter.)

We could continue to come up with hundreds, no thousands, of imaginary situations. We could go back and forth on this. Giving each side an advantage and disadvantage as we go.

Of course, we could also go by "typical" LRM user behavior... which would be... Well... Yeah. "Indirect only" combined against "direct fire weapons"... Yeah. LRMs don't stand much of a chance in a 1v1, and even then they can be a situational tool. One match an aid, the next a hindrance.

As I've said before, most people see only one strength with LRMs, and they don't progress any farther from that. Then, they try to play it "always to that strength", and never realize there is so much more. It would be like looking at LPLs and never seeing ERPPC and Guass as possible weapons...

I just wanted to comment that LRMs are not "fire and forget". You must maintain a lock on your target for the flights duration, or at least almost all of it. Otherwise, they stop tracking.

SSRMs I believe are the only "fire and forget" weapon. I've never seen them lose tracking after a lock was lost. But, it is rare to lose a lock for SSRMs while they are in flight...

As much as I like my LRMs, and I seem to do well with them, I'd have to agree that LRM boats tend to be a detriment more often than an aid. A single boat isn't necessarily an issue depending upon how they play it. A team of boats (and no dedicated spotters) often spells disaster.

It's one of the reasons I constantly speak out against boating LRMs. They have their advantages and I'm willing to see their strengths, but I am not blind to their weaknesses either, and many those are...

I have found from my Stock Mech Monday days that there typically is a minimum team size before LRMs become "ineffective". They need allies to get locks, even if you are getting locks yourself. You'd be surprised at what a few LRMs tossed here or there can do to alter a fight into your favor. If you don't have enough of those allies, you are a lot harder pressed to do your job. Of course, this is even with me being on the front. (That minimum range, and we were playing with nothing but IS mechs stock, so there is also that. I used the 4J, it was perfect for the job.)

On this note, though I'm not exactly disagreeing with you... at which state are we taking these builds from? Before LRM5 spread was changed? Or after? When LRMs flew at their fastest (which didn't last long), or current?

Currently, that build (the LRM5 spam) is no longer considered as "viable" as it once did, due to the spread increase. Before hand people claimed (I can't say as I've never used the build myself) that it would just drill the CT of any target they shot at. Now, they say take LRM10s instead... Some people have even tried to update those designed with Artemis on the LRM5 spam... Posted Image

Although I understand the meaning of your test, I don't believe that would be a fair match up, especially considering the rules placed on the engagement (no breaking line of sight, same weight, etc). Then again, I'll comment that I don't believe in LRM boats, for much of the reasons you've mentioned.

I find LRMs are best on more nimble mechs, ones that can poke and slid away. If Radar Dep and Adv. Target Decay (and ECM as well probably) are each being excluded form this test... I'd be using my LRMs in a hit and run fashion. No need to stare an opponent down when I don't have to. Get within 600m or closer, and approach carefully.

Though, I wish to say I'm not denying the power of direct fire weapons. It probably would win most matches against LRM specific builds. LRM builds (particularly of my style of play) normally seem to require even more skill to use than direct fire weapons, especially against higher skilled opponents. Thus, making direct fire weapons not just simpler, but also easier and more reliable to use.

I don't know if I'm just being confusing here now... Just recently woke up. Sorry if I rambled again. Posted Image

Shoot me am invite. We did that test because it strongly favored the best missile mech in the game. I'll happily run some matches with you, you pick the weight class, bring your LRM mech and I'll take direct fire.

LRMs work in pug queue because they demolish bads who ignore UAVs and flip out when getting missiled. I can say that KCom has it's excellent win/loss rate in part because of LRMs. In team v team play LRMs are beaten by some situational awareness and the W key.

#48 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:14 PM

The simply reality is that the damage dealt by direct fire is near immediate (if not instant) whereas LRMs damage playload is on delay and totally not guaranteed.

Whether it is LRM speed, spread or damage, LRMs are not on the same level as SRMs or even Streaks when it comes to damage consistency.

#49 MaximusPayne

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 96 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:00 PM

View PostPat Kell, on 20 April 2017 - 04:35 PM, said:

No you're not...
No they don't...
No, they do not have their uses...
No they are not an asset to they're team...

Only the Sith use absolutes.

#50 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:03 PM

View PostMaximusPayne, on 21 April 2017 - 01:00 PM, said:

Only the Sith use absolutes.

Darth Pat.

You have no idea what you've just started, and I thank you for it.

#51 Carl Vickers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:25 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 21 April 2017 - 01:03 PM, said:

Darth Pat.

You have no idea what you've just started, and I thank you for it.

Say Darth Paddy in an Irish accent, it sounds even better Mischief.

#52 Killer Kellaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 245 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationGrand Junction, CO

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:35 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 21 April 2017 - 08:09 AM, said:

Please name for me the top teams on the leaderboard for FW that use LRMs. This isn't about stat shaming anyone, just identifying what works in reality vs what you want to believe is true.

Please list the top competitive teams using LRMs too.

your not getting the point..... and you missed the sarcasm. Not really claiming that LRMs are the end all be all. Just that LRMs as a weapon has its place. thats all

I tire of this conversation as you do not come up with any reason that says that they do not...... Only that the best teams dont use them. I think more out of ignorance and misinformation than anything else. no cant prove that either to your satisfaction. just an opinion.

This will be my last post on this subject for now.

Have fun all and see you on the battlefield.

#53 Pat Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationSol, NA, Iowa

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:01 PM

Wow...guess I have a new nickname now. I like it though:)

Oh and mischief and Carl, maybe it's best not to argue any more. It took me a fair amount of time to learn that I do much better, in general, when using direct fire weapons than I ever did using LRM's. Some people just have to experience it for themselves and others will just be too stubborn to give it an honest try.

Besides, like I have said before, as long as you are on the enemy team, you can bring all the LRM's you want. I enjoy easy victories. That's not being arrogant or anything, that is simply a statement of fact. When paired against people that I consider to be roughly on the same kill level as I am, I almost always win when they make the choice to bring LRM's and the reason is simple...use of cover. Yea, you can catch a mech out in the open sometimes and just mutilate them with LRM's but if the enemy team has any sense whatsoever they will either A. be in the middle of a push that is wiping out all your friends thereby making you a lone LRMer or B. his friends are using proper cover to pop out, shoot you and get back into cover before you can even land any LRM's. I rarely get hit by more than one volley of LRM's because I am aware of how to counter them and it's just so easy. More often than not, I don't even get hit by 1 volley and lets face it with the large spread value of the roughly 60-65% of the total launched LRM's actually hitting you, the damage exchange is so one sided that I can often kill the LRM boat and one other mech before I die. Those are trades I can live with so you LRMers just keep bringing those LRM's. To those who wish to win more than 50% of their matches, come join the direct fire bandwagon. Up to you really.

Oh and everyone deals in absolutes...the statement "Only the sith use absolutes" is an absolute....

Edited by Pat Kell, 21 April 2017 - 07:03 PM.

#54 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:35 PM

View PostKellaine, on 21 April 2017 - 06:35 PM, said:

Not really claiming that LRMs are the end all be all.

Agreed

View PostKellaine, on 21 April 2017 - 06:35 PM, said:

Just that LRMs as a weapon has its place. thats all

We just saying that place is near the bottom of the pile iz all, Their are better weapons that have less counters is all weez saying.

Perhaps not better for you, but if we had to come up with a rule of thumb that applies to most. Direct fire better than Lrms.

Thats all we is saying

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 21 April 2017 - 07:39 PM.

#55 MaximusPayne

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 96 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:01 PM

View PostPat Kell, on 21 April 2017 - 07:01 PM, said:

Oh and everyone deals in absolutes...the statement "Only the sith use absolutes" is an absolute....

My Sith name is Darth Melvin. So, yeah...

#56 Pat Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationSol, NA, Iowa

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:47 PM

View PostMaximusPayne, on 21 April 2017 - 08:01 PM, said:

My Sith name is Darth Melvin. So, yeah...

And you got that quote from a Jedi...so yea, at least we agree, everyone deals in absolutes.

#57 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:50 PM

View PostJaybles, on 21 April 2017 - 11:00 AM, said:

I would love to see video of you consistently hitting a moving mech with indirect fire. The stationary part was to help out the A1. There is no utility in spread damage when your opponent is pinpointing. If both mechs are moving and using cover, the engagement vastly favors the K2, especially if it can close to within 180m. Anyhow awhile back 2 comp teams hashed this out with one side bringing lrms and the other bringing PPFLD or laser vomit. I'm trying to hunt down the video as it seems relevant to this discussion. Not sure if anyone else following know the video I am talking about. Fairly certain NGNG commentated the match as well.

I found 2
(Videos removed for space)

I've seen those before. I don't believe that's wholly accurate about LRMs, and probably is a little unfair to them as well. Here are my reasons why:
- The direct fire comp team knew what they were going to fight, so they could play counter to it. This may have lead to several Hellbringers on their team, compared to Timberwolves or Ebon Jaguars, which are rated as "better" mechs. Though ECM is something that doesn't hinder direct fire, it shouldn't be hindering LRM (or SSRMs) either but it does.
- The direct fire team I noticed more small groups from the same unit, where as very few if any shared unit tags with the LRM crew. This leads me to believe one was more use to each other, and the other probably wasn't.
- There may have been a skill disparity. Hard to actually know, as I only recognized a few names on there.
- The LRM team was over bloated with LRMs. They were taken as mostly boats. Though I respect Catalina Steiner and her LRM guides, I have and continue to disagree with the concept of boating LRMs. It can work, but I don't believe it's most efficient. My opinion of course.
- The LRM team made several mistakes as they played. To mention a few, they used LRMs outside 600m, resulting in them typically being less effective. They stood in open ground, which let the direct fire team get free shots from cover.
- I noticed a lot of the LRM mechs stood in the back. Way in the back...
- I know that you said everyone there were competitive players, but the question I end up having about that is, how often have those "competitive players" use LRMs? How well do they know them? How skilled are they? It would be like handing me a Gauss mech, and expecting me to beat up anyone in it. I don't normally use Gauss, and I sometimes have a hard time with it. It's not because the weapon is bad, it's because I just don't now much about it and am unfamiliar with it.

Ultimately, it's two videos that proves some aspects, but there isn't enough statistical data. I could pull two end of game screen shots and cherry pick my best ones. (I'm not saying those videos don't represent a reasonable point though.)

The problem with testing like this are many and unreliable. If each team knows what it's going into, it's easier to set up counters. It's very hard to get accurate data from preset conditions like this, because it can be real easy to sabotage those very results. For more accuracy, you'd have to do a "blind" test, where each team doesn't know what the other team may have. This results in no one being able to set up specific counter builds and playing the match accordingly. LRMs are also a weapon that is fine in smaller quantities, but a whole team load of them... Well. It can get bad fast.

Overall, I want to emphasize that I'm not calling LRMs a competitive weapon. But, I'm also not saying they are a hindrance to a team either. Overall, competitive play and builds are really only an issue in competitive play. As most of MW:O is not competitive (as in, there is more than in game items on the line), what the competitive players do aren't always the end all and be all. Sometimes, the unexpected can work as well...

View PostMischiefSC, on 21 April 2017 - 11:30 AM, said:

Shoot me am invite. We did that test because it strongly favored the best missile mech in the game. I'll happily run some matches with you, you pick the weight class, bring your LRM mech and I'll take direct fire.

LRMs work in pug queue because they demolish bads who ignore UAVs and flip out when getting missiled. I can say that KCom has it's excellent win/loss rate in part because of LRMs. In team v team play LRMs are beaten by some situational awareness and the W key.

I would be more than happy to do so some time. However, I would like to mention right now it wouldn't be a proper test. LRMs work best within a team. A group that can utilize as much about the weapon as possible. This includes being able to indirect fire them, direct fire them, as well as other group aspects.

If we were to 1v1 this, I can tell you right now I'm not working at full power. I'm confident I'd damage you, but I can't say if I could win. Not to mention, I don't know where our individual skill levels are. I'm by far not the best player in the game. It wouldn't be a fair test as I may not even be able to beat you regularly in the very same exact build as you even... Not to mention some of the testing points I mentioned above as well.

Of course, as in a spirit of mostly fun and just to see what I could possibly do in that situation, I honestly would love to give it a try sometime.

On the remark of QP vs GP, I've used LRMs in each. I have actually had the honor of killing what some people have told me where high level players with LRMs. I tend to be sneaky within the team, and I attack from unexpected angles. I'm not afraid to get close, and I stick with the team and do what the drop caller says to the best of my ability. Once again though, I would mention any time I've done so though, it's been a team effort. Not something I've done on my own. In counter point, I've also very much gotten my rear end handed to me on a silver platter by a comp team in GP. (Just so you don't think I'm trying to say I'm all that, when I'm not. I'm just saying that I have done it and it is possible...)

Despite everything so far, I still feel that LRMs can be an effective tool for a team, depending upon how it is being used. To say it is a hindrance is countered by my individual mech's W/L scores. If it was true that LRMs were always a hindrance to your team, than it would make no sense as to why my LRM mechs typically have a higher W/L than my non-LRM mechs. Typical use of LRMs may have a negative impact on game play (maybe), but apparently either I've been very lucky with my LRMs, or maybe the way I've used them somehow gives me and my team an edge. Otherwise, there is no reason why my LRM mechs should have a higher W/L. If they truly were a detriment to my team, I would imagine that the W/L would be lower for them. Especially after over 100 matches played on those specific mechs.

Basically, what I'm being told as "fact" doesn't seem to add up when compared next to my personal stats/facts. Why? I couldn't tell you. But that means either the "facts" are wrong, or I'm doing something different/correct. I can't really think of any other conclusions to draw from. (If you want a screen of my stats, I don't mind. But I do hope you'd know me well enough on these forums to take my word on this.)

Oh and mischief and Carl, maybe it's best not to argue any more. It took me a fair amount of time to learn that I do much better, in general, when using direct fire weapons than I ever did using LRM's. Some people just have to experience it for themselves and others will just be too stubborn to give it an honest try.

I've actually at least been intrigued by Mischief, and do hope he continues to post. I kinda like the discussion, because he hasn't just dismissed LRMs completely. He's not incorrect when he says LRMs are not a competitive weapon. On that, I agree, Competitive teams don't bring them, and for some good reasons. However, that doesn't mean I feel they don't work or can't work. Just because no one has gotten it to work yet doesn't mean they never can...

I find it funny how everyone has such different perspectives on this. For the average person, I wouldn't be surprised if they find LRMs to be worse than direct fire weapons. Then again, I find the average LRM user tends to make some very fatal choices, and then keep making them because "it worked that one time". Most also stop LRM learning right at "indirect" and "boating", and never consider anything else.

I tend to be called in life an "outside the box" thinker. Where most people would be in Chess a Rook, people consider me a Bishop. I think in diagonals while others think in lines. Conveniently, in a game of chess, I'll sacrifice my rooks to save my bishops, and I tend to win games with bishops by some unseen angle by my opponent. Of course, I also don't play chess competitively, so there is that to consider.

Besides, like I have said before, as long as you are on the enemy team, you can bring all the LRM's you want. I enjoy easy victories. That's not being arrogant or anything, that is simply a statement of fact.

Actually... That is a fairly arrogant statement. Either that or poorly worded?

However, I think I'll continue to use LRMs, and continue to go with designs and mechs that provide better W/L stats. Conveniently, that typically happens to be one and the same.

#58 Fake News

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 519 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:33 AM

lrms are fir that one moron that brings an lrm shadowcat first drop, plays the whole match with nary a scratch and gets his lrm kodiak, mad dog , and cheetah farmed by the deathball after all his team is killed.

#59 Killer Kellaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 245 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationGrand Junction, CO

Posted 22 April 2017 - 10:34 AM

View Postebolachan, on 22 April 2017 - 07:33 AM, said:

lrms are fir that one moron that brings an lrm shadowcat first drop, plays the whole match with nary a scratch and gets his lrm kodiak, mad dog , and cheetah farmed by the deathball after all his team is killed.

I agree that that would be a moron thing to do. Though I believe that a mech should always be able to defend itself (granted some better than others). And only an idiot would bring that many LRMs. But bringing a single mech with LRMs, that is not so crazy. For example: I have 2 IS Drop Decks always set up and ready to go. One is designed for defensive actions and has some LRM support capability, the other is for attack and is all lasers or mostly so ( LOL I like lasers as well)

My Defensive Drop Deck has 1 sometimes 2 mechs with LRM's, But both are stand alone mechs and can dish out direct fire as well as LRM Support. Lets face it Direct fire cannot hit through terrain but LRMs can go over it. It is situational to be sure. And I consider myself a good LRM Pilot as I do love LRMs. They are challenging to be sure to play correctly and I know I make mistakes and pay for them in game. But I also am the one that targets that Light that is harassing you. Cause the way it works right now fast mech generally get hit in the legs with LRMs unless they are standing still and I have legged more than a few lights with LRMs and allowed the mech he was fighting get the kill.... and sometimes I get the kill. But I saved a team mate from dying. That is a big job of a good LRM Pilot... hit the enemy that is engaged with friendly forces to give friendly forces an edge in the fight. To Support.

#60 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:48 AM

View PostKellaine, on 22 April 2017 - 10:34 AM, said:

That is a big job of a good LRM Pilot... hit the enemy that is engaged with friendly forces to give friendly forces an edge in the fight. To Support.

You still don't get it.
The best way to support friendly forces is to be next to them, taking hits and dishing out accurate damage against the enemy.
What you're describing is using your team mates as shields so you've got enough time to use your inferior weapons.
That behaviour is accepted in solo queue, but in faction warfare will get you steamrolled and spawn camped.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users