Help Me

10 replies to this topic

#1 Sol Fin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 102 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 06:57 AM

After the patch couple of weeks ago I cannot launch MWO anymore (standlalone version).

I see launcher, but when I press PLAY nothing happens. There is a process MWOClient.exe in memory, but it just uses 4,5Mb of memory and does use 1/2 of one of the CPU cores. But nothing more...

Repair tool shows that everything is correct. Anyone had similar problem?

Didn't try reinstalling TBH. But perhaps there is ready solution?

---- Update. What I already did try and didn't work.
1. Repair tool
2. Launch as Administrator.
3. Checked COMODO AV tool that it didn't block the MWOClient application or it's requests.
4. Installed portal and tried to launch from it.

Edited by Sol Fin, 07 May 2017 - 01:24 AM.

#2 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 06 May 2017 - 07:14 AM

I doubt if it is going to help, but try right clicking and selecting Run as Administrator.

Good luck.

View PostSol Fin, on 06 May 2017 - 06:57 AM, said:

After the patch couple of weeks ago I cannot launch MWO anymore (standlalone version).

I see launcher, but when I press PLAY nothing happens. There is a process MWOClient.exe in memory, but it just uses 4,5Mb of memory and does use 1/2 of one of the CPU cores. But nothing more...

Edited by mailin, 06 May 2017 - 07:15 AM.

#3 Sol Fin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 102 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 10:13 AM

View Postmailin, on 06 May 2017 - 07:14 AM, said:

I doubt if it is going to help, but try right clicking and selecting Run as Administrator.

No, didn't work :)

#4 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 06 May 2017 - 11:23 AM

View PostSol Fin, on 06 May 2017 - 06:57 AM, said:

possibly try renaming the MechWarrior folder at
%userprofile%\saved games
you can just copy the above line into your file browser.

that does sometimes fix problems, otherwise are you using the old MWO patcher or the new MWO portal (if you downloaded inside the last 2 months it is the portal), as you said stand alone I am assuming you are not working through steam.
if you are still on the old patcher try downloading the portal from the download now link at the top of the page

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 06 May 2017 - 11:24 AM.

#5 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,741 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 06 May 2017 - 06:17 PM

What antivirus program are you using? Comodo is the most recent one that was not allowing MWO to run.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 06 May 2017 - 06:24 PM.

#6 Sol Fin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 12:59 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 06 May 2017 - 06:17 PM, said:

What antivirus program are you using? Comodo is the most recent one that was not allowing MWO to run.
Yeap, exactly this one. Comodo internet security premium 10. But the thing is that it worked for several years now... Not sure why now it stopped. Another thing that makes me doubt about Comodo being the reason is that MWOClient.exe process IS present, which means Comodo didn't block it, which it usually do to suspicious programs.

But anyway, checked to make sure COMODO didn't block the application - it didn't...

Edited by Sol Fin, 07 May 2017 - 01:22 AM.

#7 Sol Fin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 01:19 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 06 May 2017 - 11:23 AM, said:

Not sure what it should do. Could you explain in more detail?

that does sometimes fix problems, otherwise are you using the old MWO patcher or the new MWO portal (if you downloaded inside the last 2 months it is the portal), as you said stand alone I am assuming you are not working through steam.
if you are still on the old patcher try downloading the portal from the download now link at the top of the page
Tried installing the portal. Unfortunately didn't change a thing. MWOClient.exe is still launched, but goes nowhere beyond...

Edited by Sol Fin, 07 May 2017 - 01:19 AM.

#8 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 07 May 2017 - 04:15 AM

View PostSol Fin, on 07 May 2017 - 01:19 AM, said:

Not sure what it should do. Could you explain in more detail?

what I am trying to do is get you to rename the Mechwarrior Online folder in saved games, that way you do not loose anything stored in there (e.g. screenshots) but as it no longer has the name MWO is expecting so it will rebuild the folder including resetting all settings, it will not reinstall the game just the settings.

open Windows Explorer (the file browser) to do this goto the start menu (a ball or rectangle with the windows logo, usualy bottom left of the screen, if you cannot find it press the windows button between [ctrl] and [alt] to the left of the spacebar)

click on Documents Pictures or Computer (there may be a My in front of them)
if you cannot find them open the start menu then type in "explorer.exe" without the quotation marks

now in the address bar up the top of that newly opened window copy and past the line below

that will take you to the Saved Games folder, find the "MechWarrior Online" folder, right click on it and choose rename.
click in the box after the end and type in ".old", so you are left with a folder called "MechWarrior Online.old" (that name is not critical but is just so you know what it is if you want to access it again later), now click off that folder to finalise the rename.

open MWO, does it work now?

p.s.
sorry if that looks patronising, my career is IT Support and if someone asks for clarification on instructions I find it is usualy quicker to give realy detailed but easy to follow instructions rather than have someone keep asking me to explain something.

#9 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,741 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:34 AM

https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__5694171

There as a recent update where it thinks MWO should not be allowed to run.

Are you running an antivirus or firewall like Comodo? Comodo just did an update that seemed to have made mechwarrior stuck while loading the same way you described. It would be in Processes, using resources but nothing would ever load. I got some help and you have to go into advanced protection > miscellaneous > exclusions link (under detect shellcode injections *)and add an exception for mwoclient.exe.

I was just running the firewall alone at the time and it still did it. But other software may have had a similar update.

This may be the case with similar antivirus/firewall, so look in advanced exclusions. Just a shot in the dark.

This one just linked a couple of threads.
https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__5714609

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 07 May 2017 - 11:37 AM.

#10 D V Devnull

• 4,297 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:38 AM

Hey, Sol Fin... It seems Tarl Cabot hadn't mentioned it yet, but as MWO usually tries to force the 64-bit version down your throat, have you tried launching the 32-bit version manually? If not, please follow the instructions at https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/224380-force-32-bit-game-client-missing/page__view__findpost__p__5083378 in order to create a working launching shortcut. Sometimes this gets around issues that a person is having with their computer, and I am in hope that it might save you some grief. :)

~Mr. D. V. "If one bit-level of client doesn't work, maybe the other will?" Devnull

#11 Sol Fin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:59 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 07 May 2017 - 11:34 AM, said:

https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__5694171

There as a recent update where it thinks MWO should not be allowed to run.

This one just linked a couple of threads.
https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__5714609
Thank you - it solved the problem!

A little note for those who use COMODO Internet Security Premium 10 - path to the settings you need is a bit different:
SETTINGS - > Advanced Protection -> Miscellaneous -> Click on "Exclusions" in setting "Detect shellcode injections".

Sol

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users