To Survive, Battletech Franchise Should Go Back To It's Roots. Anime-Roots!

277 replies to this topic

#1 Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 350 posts
  • Location花果山: Water Curtain Cave on the Moutain of Flowers and Fruit

Posted 07 May 2017 - 02:47 AM

Yes!
I dare to say this!
And before you'd say: "Mek, yet another your batshit crazy idea?" or "Did your lovely LURMsexuals hit you especially hard tonight?", let me explain myself.

As you know, the the only reason Battletech came to existence, was very old cartoons for little japanese boys, nowadays called mecha-anime.
When little Japan in late 70th can't hold all this mecha-madness, japanese robots poured into the world to conquer it.
So, whole Battletech (BattleDroids at birth) franchise was created on this mecha-hype to grab some cash on exploding fresh trend.
Even today all we suffering from BT-birth-trauma, which is up today is knows as "UNSEENs" a "RESEENs".
Posted Image
If anyone still do not know this peculiar fact, up till late 80th, the whole zoo of BT-mechs consist almost entirely of 100% authentic japanese-mecha designs, that were 'BORROWED' as an 'INSPIRATION', up till all the copyright mess starts, but this is a tale for an other time...

So, BT-franchise grew, matured, decayed and almost collapsed.
All we have today, is a phenomenally rich lore, which is ironically almost non-used in any actual products, related to franchise.
If only you are at least somewhat familiar with the lore of Battletech, all it's complex ant integrated rule-and-source-books, the only reasonable thought you should have, would toll in you head constantly: "How could it become, that such a rich and developed fictional universe has fo few yet so dull embodiment?!"

Posted Image

Years are passing, but the more time passes, the more Battletech-franchise fades away.
Last years with MWO and announces of MW5 and BT by Wisemann were undoubtedly a new born of BT for all old fans and newcomers.
Yet it is not enough and in long terms does not guarantees survival of franchise.
MWO smells not so well, MW5 is nothing, but a teaser with pitiful 85k of views, and Battletech game by HBS-games will be OK, I guess, still in terms on whole BT-francise this is a very shady perspective.

There is no further development.
There is no any conceptual changes.
In the end, there is no new blood.
All we have, is a rotting and decaying corpse of a cosmic giant Imir.

And as much, as I love whole BT-franchise and all it's parts, I am concerned about it's further destiny.
And I asked myself many times: "What could I do to be sure, Battletech would live and bloom and will have healthy franchise-sussessors?"
And tonight I was struck by this crazy idea.

What if...

TA-DAAAM!

WHAT IF BATTLETECH WILL GO BACK TO IT'S ROOTS?

As crazy as it sounds, it has a rational seeds inside.
Anime not so pricey in terms of producing.
Anime could retell all your favorite stories from BT-lore.
Anime could attract thousands of brand new fans.
Anime could become a platform to launch all the merchandise, toys and anything you could imagine from our lovely BT.
I can't see any other so onmipotential perspective as this one.

1. So, what do you think of this idea?
2. If you are agree with me, will you spread this idea all across the Internets until it will return to you on a Blue-ray with Battletech-anime series?

Edited by Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh, 07 May 2017 - 02:52 AM.

#2 Shiroi Tsuki

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,205 posts
  • LocationCosplaying Ruby from Rwby in Aiur, Auckland, GA America, Interior Union, Mar Sara and Remnant

Posted 07 May 2017 - 03:04 AM

I fully support having a BattleTech/MechWarrior animu, so long as the people doing it knows BT lore and are consistent.
Also as long is doesn't feel like Gundam where the Mechs are pretty much doing ballet and stuff. What I like about BT/MW compared to other Mech related franchise/Anime is that they feel slow and clunky.

Posted Image

Edit:

Spoiler

Edited by Shiroi Tsuki, 07 May 2017 - 03:05 AM.

#3 Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 350 posts
  • Location花果山: Water Curtain Cave on the Moutain of Flowers and Fruit

Posted 07 May 2017 - 03:08 AM

And by the way, if moe-girls (be they damned) can't sell something, than this is unsellable.

Posted Image

#4 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 03:11 AM

WTB a version of those images with text I can actually read...

#5 Shiroi Tsuki

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,205 posts
  • LocationCosplaying Ruby from Rwby in Aiur, Auckland, GA America, Interior Union, Mar Sara and Remnant

Posted 07 May 2017 - 03:13 AM

View PostMekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh, on 07 May 2017 - 03:08 AM, said:

And by the way, if moe-girls (be they damned) can't sell something, than this is unsellable.

Posted Image

Charlotte best waffle <3

Posted Image

#6 Aleski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 873 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 07 May 2017 - 03:15 AM

If a new anime came back it will be completely lost in the maelstrom of the Animes that came out today.

For example, do some of you have a Netflix account ? In this streamming media there is dozen and dozen of anime that nobody cares about.

If a new anime came back, it will instantly get lost in this big fat muddy soup that is today anime world.

In the end, it will change nothing to the licence. it's an old licence, only people who have play to old battletech or play video games or see the old anime knows about it. Only those people will get interested in a new anime.

View PostMekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh, on 07 May 2017 - 03:08 AM, said:

You have crossed the line with dat one... ='(

#7 Shiroi Tsuki

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 03:20 AM

View PostAleski, on 07 May 2017 - 03:15 AM, said:

If a new anime came back it will be completely lost in the maelstrom of the Animes that came out today.

For example, do some of you have a Netflix account ? In this streamming media there is dozen and dozen of anime that nobody cares about.

If a new anime came back, it will instantly get lost in this big fat muddy soup that is today anime world.

In the end, it will change nothing to the licence. it's an old licence, only people who have play to old battletech or play video games or see the old anime knows about it. Only those people will get interested in a new anime.

It honestly all depend on the marketing and the first episode. That first episode is VERY crucial. Communities, especially those in Facebook and Youtube can bring a lot of hype and interest.

#8 Latorque

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 03:33 AM

Oh yes, this is what BT needs.

Can't wait to watch pseudodrama of a "Mechwarrior highschool", where some incredibly gifted, yet socially stunted and shy male student lusts after everyone from his all-female classmates to the female janitor and gets nosebleeds.

#9 Aleski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 873 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 07 May 2017 - 04:12 AM

View PostShiroi Tsuki, on 07 May 2017 - 03:20 AM, said:

It honestly all depend on the marketing and the first episode. That first episode is VERY crucial. Communities, especially those in Facebook and Youtube can bring a lot of hype and interest.

You're right. The hype can bring some interest, even to people who don't know the franchise. But who is going to pay some marketing for a licence that nobody knows about today ?

A lot of my friends are geeks, they play a lot to video games, more than me. How many knows Battletech and old Mechwarrior video games ? Zero. Only me and my father know it. It's really a forbidden franchise nowadays.

#10 Antares102

• Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 04:16 AM

Posted Image
Wait what? Seriously?
GTF out of here! I am no lore nerd but mixing this childish anime sh*t with this game would be atrocious.
This game at least has a tiny bit of seriousness left to apeal to it's ancient (whale) customers.

Next thing you want is BTech Hentai version aren't you? Be honest !

Edited by Antares102, 07 May 2017 - 04:20 AM.

#11 Shiroi Tsuki

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 04:24 AM

View PostAleski, on 07 May 2017 - 04:12 AM, said:

You're right. The hype can bring some interest, even to people who don't know the franchise. But who is going to pay some marketing for a licence that nobody knows about today ?

A lot of my friends are geeks, they play a lot to video games, more than me. How many knows Battletech and old Mechwarrior video games ? Zero. Only me and my father know it. It's really a forbidden franchise nowadays.

Crowd funding is always a thing. Isn't the new BT game coming out mostly crowd funded?

View PostAntares102, on 07 May 2017 - 04:16 AM, said:

Wait what? Seriously?
GTF out of here! I am no lore nerd but mixing this childish anime sh*t with this game would be atrocious.
This game at least has a tiny bit of seriousness left to apeal to it's ancient (whale) customers.

Common misconception about anime (I don't blame you). Anime is just another form of media, kinda like movies and cartoons. You wouldn't necessarily call something like South Park or Happy Tree Friends as something a child should watch, now would you?. Besides, it's the internet;
Spoiler

In case you didn't know, there already was a BattleTech animated series, I don't see what's wrong of doing another BT series on a different art style

#12 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 07 May 2017 - 04:27 AM

I'd prefer Battletech TV series to be honest. After reading BT novels, I just can't imagine an anime based on it will be popular enough.

#13 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 07 May 2017 - 04:29 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 07 May 2017 - 04:27 AM, said:

I'd prefer Battletech TV series to be honest. After reading BT novels, I just can't imagine an anime based on it will be popular enough.

Game of Thrones in SPAAAAAAACE
Also mechs.

#14 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 07 May 2017 - 04:49 AM

View PostShiroi Tsuki, on 07 May 2017 - 03:04 AM, said:

What I like about BT/MW compared to other Mech related franchise/Anime is that they feel slow and clunky.

I wonder if this is what the creators intended/imagined, that BT 'Mechs feel or are slow and clunky.

Maybe that's the impression created by the PC games but after reading a number of posts over the years, that might not be the case (pilots who could make their 'Mechs do barrel roll and other feats of acrobatics).

#15 ice trey

• 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 07 May 2017 - 05:06 AM

Giant robot stuff isn't doing well in Japan. The 80s are done. They are nuts for Idol anime, now.
Catalyst is doing a pretty good job with putting out new product.
They can't make novels. That's the only difference between then and now. Legal issues. Fasa burned every bridge on the way out. Every time they want to make a new product that isn't just a sourcebook, they have to have legal consultation with all sorts of smaller companies who now own the rights to things. Mech building program? Microsoft. Miniatures of any kind? Ironwind Metals owns the rights to those. Novels? That's another company still...

Edited by ice trey, 07 May 2017 - 05:09 AM.

#16 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 07 May 2017 - 05:12 AM

Why does the opening post of this thread remind me of pokemon evolution stages so much?

Anyway, if a battletech anime series was made, it would have do away with the overabundant "generic moeblobs slice of life" style and go for a more realistic style, like Jin-Roh, Patlabor or GiTS.

Well, yes, of course there should be a beach episode, but only as a backdrop/excuse for an attack by frogmen and battle armor, coming out of the waves and opening fire.

Then again, a "game of thrones in space" style series with real actors might work better.

#17 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:25 AM

View PostAntares102, on 07 May 2017 - 04:16 AM, said:

Is there any other kind of anime?!

#18 Alexander of Macedon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:48 AM

View PostLatorque, on 07 May 2017 - 03:33 AM, said:

Oh yes, this is what BT needs.

Can't wait to watch pseudodrama of a "Mechwarrior highschool", where some incredibly gifted, yet socially stunted and shy male student lusts after everyone from his all-female classmates to the female janitor and gets nosebleeds.

Trash anime is popular in the west because western audiences are full of spergy manchildren who want ****** self-insert stories.

Something like Legend of the Galactic Heroes set in BTech would be ace, though.

Edited by Alexander of Macedon, 07 May 2017 - 07:48 AM.

#19 Kasumi Sumika

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationFeeding the Fires of Rubicon

Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:55 AM

#20 TheMadTypist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 533 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:07 AM

Seriously? No.

Anime is the one thing that attracts an even less pleasant and cultured crowd than videogames. It's damn cancer. I would rather there be no Mechwarrior at all, than have it be Anime.

Keep your harems and wafus and talking spirit-animal companion garbage out of battletech!

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users