To Survive, Battletech Franchise Should Go Back To It's Roots. Anime-Roots!

277 replies to this topic

#41 GrimRiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationIf not here and not there, then where?

Posted 07 May 2017 - 03:01 PM

View PostMechWarrior5152251, on 07 May 2017 - 02:58 PM, said:

Battletech does not have animae roots. It was a war game that simply took artwork from an animae series. The mechs have zero relation except for appearance. Robotech crap flies at ridiculous speed and shape shifts. Transformers is based on Animae.

Um.

https://youtu.be/YqzEssjkMeU

#42 CK16

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 07 May 2017 - 03:09 PM

Oh what have you done.....

No please not this into Anime with magical females and edge lord males.... (honest ribbing here lol)

Live action if anything please.

#43 Chiasson Brinker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ace
  • The Ace
  • 260 posts
  • LocationWayside V

Posted 07 May 2017 - 03:12 PM

View PostTheMadTypist, on 07 May 2017 - 08:07 AM, said:

Seriously? No.

talking spirit-animal companion garbage out of battletech!

Tell that to the Nova Cats...

View PostMekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh, on 07 May 2017 - 02:13 PM, said:

So many got me wrong...

What I meant, was creating animated series using actual BT-lore.
Not yet another comedy-harem MYPANTIESGETWETSIRROSHAK.

We had BT-series in 90th, but they flopped due bad audience targeting.
Too complex for kids, too childish for BT-fans.
Anime instead could be any way you want.

You just just translating your silly stereotypes, but no, there are no age restrictions in animation and anime is not only CGDCT.

and so on...

btw, last decade, western franchises tried to have an anime-adaptations: Mass Effect, Dragon Age and others.

Why not to haw our own Battletech series?!

http://www.gearsonli...ttletech/mecha/

#44 Vanguard319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 07 May 2017 - 03:16 PM

View PostKasumi Sumika, on 07 May 2017 - 07:55 AM, said:

Even Otaku know that MechWarrior 3 was the best.

#45 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 07 May 2017 - 03:23 PM

View PostCK16, on 07 May 2017 - 03:09 PM, said:

Oh what have you done.....

No please not this into Anime with magical females and edge lord males.... (honest ribbing here lol)

Live action if anything please.

if we could get a high end, Macross or Votoms type, 70-80 episode serial out of it? I'd be down. But I want the hard sci-fi/down and dirty war style.

Which means bye bye Clans, hello Third Succession War.

Or for High Drama? The Rise and Fall of Stefan Amaris. Note I didn't say Kerensky. I want a tale told from the twisted windbag's perspective.

#46 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 03:27 PM

View PostPromessa, on 07 May 2017 - 03:22 PM, said:

Lol, you know they actually copied more than just the art right? Some of the Unseens that were based on macross VF's also had transforming variants called LAMs. They had the same 3 modes, mech, jet with legs, and a fast jet.

Still just copying the art assets. That means a 3 way converter was a 3 way converter.

No genderbent, spaceguitar playing space bear mascots. No Mechs doing Muy Thai, and best of all, no sentient aliens.

And they were pretty specific on which robots they licensed... none of the silly Transor Z, Gundam or Voltron Robots. Mostly "realistic" looking military machines.

Shame that ethos seems largely lost on modern anime. From Macross Delta to Evangelion...all the modern mecha designs look like rank azz.

#47 Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 350 posts
  • Location花果山: Water Curtain Cave on the Moutain of Flowers and Fruit

Posted 07 May 2017 - 03:28 PM

View PostGrimRiver, on 07 May 2017 - 03:01 PM, said:

Thunderbolts?
ShadowHawks?
YES!

#48 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 03:35 PM

View PostMekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh, on 07 May 2017 - 03:28 PM, said:

Thunderbolts?
ShadowHawks?
YES!

and such amazing combat gear for the main character. Ah....the 80s. So much awesome... so much ridiculous!

#49 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 03:44 PM

View PostLatorque, on 07 May 2017 - 03:33 AM, said:

Oh yes, this is what BT needs.

Can't wait to watch pseudodrama of a "Mechwarrior highschool", where some incredibly gifted, yet socially stunted and shy male student lusts after everyone from his all-female classmates to the female janitor and gets nosebleeds.

That's an Anime trope that's more Japanese than not.

We can very easily have older pilots. Japan also has shows centered around older characters such as Ghost in the Shell (the animes, not the whitewashed movie). Honestly I wish there were more good examples. The only other one I can think of is Patlabor.

Though unrelated one could reference Ergo Proxy as a good example of an anime focusing on older characters.

#50 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 03:55 PM

Always preferred Scopedogs to Blockheads and Roundfacers, but Dougram did have a lot more mecha diversity, overall, than Votoms.

The Macross Destroids still mark the best mecha ever, though, IMO.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

still the best

#51 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 04:00 PM

View PostKoniving, on 07 May 2017 - 03:44 PM, said:

Japan also has shows centered around older characters such as Ghost in the Shell (the animes, not the whitewashed movie).

Jeez I'm so tired of hearing this. When literally all the people behind the GitS series had no issues with Scarlett Johanson being cast int the role, when the vast majority of Japan don't see the issue with it, when the originals were pretty not on task with specifying nationality, and considering they even addressed "whitewashing" in the movie itself, as part of the Major having her entire identity stolen......
http://www.ign.com/a...e-action-remake
really wish the SJWs would find a real cause to trumpet. But they sure did a nice job of torpedoing a decent take on the franchise.

You get a like for the patlabor post, but geez.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 07 May 2017 - 04:08 PM.

#52 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 04:10 PM

View PostGrimRiver, on 07 May 2017 - 03:01 PM, said:

Anime and animated are not the same thing.

The example you gave presents us with a Western comic/cartoon style which is not the same as an anime style.

(We also have Western anime styles [Boondocks], much like there are Eastern comic/cartoon styles such as Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt [Cartoon-style], Jojo's Bizarre Adventure [very comic-bookish style], etc.)

#53 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 04:13 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 May 2017 - 04:00 PM, said:

Jeez I'm so tired of hearing this. When literally all the people behind the GitS series had no issues with Scarlett Johanson being cast int the role, when the vast majority of Japan don't see the issue with it, when the originals were pretty not on task with specifying nationality, and considering they even addressed "whitewashing" in the movie itself, as part of the Major having her entire identity stolen......
http://www.ign.com/a...e-action-remake
really wish the SJWs would find a real cause to trumpet. But they sure did a nice job of torpedoing a decent take on the franchise.

You get a like for the patlabor post, but geez.

My problem isn't actually with the whitewashing or who got into the roles.

It's the fact that the movie didn't dive into any of the psychological, philosophical nuance that the animes are known for.
My other problem is yet another version of ghost in the shell that can't stick with one backstory for the Major. Arise, Stand Alone, and the two actual movies (not the Arise one) all came up with their own versions of her backstory and it'd be nice if like... they'd pick one and stick with it. But instead we have yet another version.

In Standalone, she was turned as a child after a car accident.
In Arise (which seems very shallow in comparison), she's a major and it makes sense -- but every side character has new, weird backstories that don't line up with the movie or Standalone.
In the movies, to be honest they deliberately don't even make it clear whether or not the major was male or female, and in reality she uses an off-the-shelf model that might have some modifications, but there's many other off the shelf models that look exactly like her, some of which aren't actually human and that's a big thing because it introduces us to the philosophy of are you really human when you replace everything? And in the end, when the AI and Motoko merge, is the combined result still human? Is it still her, is it them, or is it someone else now?

This movie didn't touch into anything of the sort and felt like fan service more than anything.
To be honest I would have been happy if instead of making up their own convoluted backstory and trying to mix the three ghost in the shells into a single film, if they just had the Major "choose" an American body (she/he [as in truth, 'The' original Major from the magazine/film has never actually identified as female] is known for body swapping on occasion, in both gender and age). Then, they could focus the entire story on something meaningful rather than a made up company that is both her ally and her enemy...and all the other nonsense they did.

Edited by Koniving, 07 May 2017 - 04:37 PM.

#54 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 04:23 PM

View PostKoniving, on 07 May 2017 - 04:13 PM, said:

My problem isn't actually with the whitewashing or who got into the roles.

It's the fact that the movie didn't dive into any of the psychological, philosophical nuance that the animes are known for.
My other problem is yet another version of ghost in the shell that can't stick with one backstory for the Major. Arise, Stand Alone, and the two actual movies (not the Arise one) all came up with their own versions of her backstory and it'd be nice if like... they'd pick one and stick with it. But instead we have yet another version.

In Standalone, she was turned as a child after a car accident.
In Arise (which seems very shallow in comparison), she's a major and it makes sense -- but every side character has new, weird backstories that don't line up with the movie or Standalone.
In the movies, to be honest they deliberately don't even make it clear whether or not the major was male or female, and in reality she uses an off-the-shelf model that might have some modifications, but there's many other off the shelf models that look exactly like her, some of which aren't actually human and that's a big thing because it introduces us to the philosophy of are you really human when you replace everything? And in the end, when the AI and Motoko merge, is the combined result still human? Is it still her, is it them, or is it someone else now?

This movie didn't touch into anything of the sort and felt like fan service more than anything.

Great, all valid complaints, though I think while it could have delved into the identity aspect deeper, it didn't shy away either, and there is only so much you can go into before an Alien movie becomes Prometheus (aka the danger of too much forced philosophy in what is still at it's core, an action flik). So I would say within the constraints of a 1.5 to 2 hour, stand alone movie, those are going to be awfully hard to address in a compelling manner AND still have room for the rest of the story.

Seems curious though if you didn't have an issue with "that aspect" that you identified it specifically by that tired, and frankly inaccurate description.

That said, I admit some to being salty at the SJWs who managed to tank it, guaranteeing it doesn't get a chance to delve deeper in future installments. (and tbh, I generally have hated everything GitS aside from the manga and the original 1995 anime, which I felt this was true enough to, and TBH, didn't delve THAT deeply into the identity side, either)

Funny part is, if they had cast a Japanese American in the role? The actual Japanese would still have largely viewed it as simply casting an American. So, yeah.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 07 May 2017 - 04:28 PM.

#55 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 04:30 PM

NO.

#56 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 07 May 2017 - 04:45 PM

Turn MWO into an anime game?

Posted Image

#57 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 04:46 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 May 2017 - 04:23 PM, said:

Seems curious though if you didn't have an issue with "that aspect" that you identified it specifically by that tired, and frankly inaccurate description.

It's all I hear about it. I'm personally using whitewashing as in the forced injection of Western ideals rather than the white casting. As in action for the sake of action, lets shoot things for the sake of it looks cool even when it doesn't make sense, "What's buildup?", etc. Oh and giant holographic billboards "because we can." Japanese advertising culture isn't the same as American, that might be what America might look like, but Japan does not advertise....anything... like that.

#58 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 04:54 PM

View PostNightmare1, on 07 May 2017 - 04:45 PM, said:

Turn MWO into an anime game?

Posted Image

I believe it (the original post) is less about turning it into an anime style slash 'em up (as you seem to be thinking) and more about the anime art-style that BT's mechs originated in through the "Real Robot" genre (as opposed to the Super Robot genre).

Akin to this, I suppose.

Anyway, in essence he's talking about Battletech and the artstyle, not about changing the video games.

Edited by Koniving, 07 May 2017 - 04:57 PM.

#59 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 04:57 PM

View PostKoniving, on 07 May 2017 - 04:46 PM, said:

It's all I hear about it. I'm personally using whitewashing as in the forced injection of Western ideals rather than the white casting. As in action for the sake of action, lets shoot things for the sake of it looks cool even when it doesn't make sense, "What's buildup?", etc. Oh and giant holographic billboards "because we can." Japanese advertising culture isn't the same as American, that might be what America might look like, but Japan does not advertise....anything... like that.

Hmmmm... downtown Tokyo and Downtown Hong Kong (yes China, not japan) don't full agree with you. And Tokyo embraces technology like nobody else.
Posted Image

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 07 May 2017 - 04:58 PM.

#60 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 05:04 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 May 2017 - 04:57 PM, said:

Hmmmm... downtown Tokyo and Downtown Hong Kong (yes China, not japan) don't full agree with you. And Tokyo embraces technology like nobody else.
Posted Image

That text looks distinctly Chinese.
Posted Image
I do agree Downtown Tokyo has that sort of vibe. You also have the issue of warfare, conflicts, etc. that Japan had supposedly been in, as well as the American Empire, etc. The original movie actually chose lesser areas of Hong Kong to represent Tokyo to help convey that sense of growing attrition and class separation. It's a universe created in 1980, much like BT. The video tried hard to create a 2010s futuristic vision and forgot that it's a 1980s filter of today's world in which Japan got itself into a few more wars.

What they present us with is this...
Posted Image
And honestly a lot of the advertising makes absolutely no sense. What is the giant holographic woman supposed to represent? Clearly not hair care products, but as an advertisement that is too hard for anyone to see it and go "Oh I want that product." Hell, unless you're where the Major is standing there is no feasible non-rooftop position that you could be where you could see the entire surface area of the advertisement... making absolutely no sense if you want people to see your ad.

The ads here, based on real advertisements mind you...
Posted Image
Make a lot more sense. You can see them outside your window, you can see them as you ride the ferries through the "streets", there are some which you can see while actually in the walkways, too, and nothing requires you to be able to simultaineously see an entire city block with an omniscient view to see it.

Edited by Koniving, 07 May 2017 - 05:11 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users