To Survive, Battletech Franchise Should Go Back To It's Roots. Anime-Roots!

277 replies to this topic

#61 GrimRiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationIf not here and not there, then where?

Posted 07 May 2017 - 05:17 PM

View PostKoniving, on 07 May 2017 - 04:10 PM, said:

Anime and animated are not the same thing.

The example you gave presents us with a Western comic/cartoon style which is not the same as an anime style.

(We also have Western anime styles [Boondocks], much like there are Eastern comic/cartoon styles such as Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt [Cartoon-style], Jojo's Bizarre Adventure [very comic-bookish style], etc.)

"The word (anime) is the abbreviated pronunciation of "animation" in Japanese, where this term references all animation."

In Japan they refer to all animation outside of Japan also as anime.

Other countries also use the word anime to reference animation.

There is no defined definition of anime.

#62 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 07 May 2017 - 05:25 PM

View PostKoniving, on 07 May 2017 - 05:04 PM, said:

That text looks distinctly Chinese.
Posted Image
I do agree Downtown Tokyo has that sort of vibe. You also have the issue of warfare, conflicts, etc. that Japan had supposedly been in, as well as the American Empire, etc. The original movie actually chose lesser areas of Hong Kong to represent Tokyo to help convey that sense of growing attrition and class separation. It's a universe created in 1980, much like BT. The video tried hard to create a 2010s futuristic vision and forgot that it's a 1980s filter of today's world in which Japan got itself into a few more wars.

What they present us with is this...
Posted Image
And honestly a lot of the advertising makes absolutely no sense. What is the giant holographic woman supposed to represent? Clearly not hair care products, but as an advertisement that is too hard for anyone to see it and go "Oh I want that product." Hell, unless you're where the Major is standing there is no feasible non-rooftop position that you could be where you could see the entire surface area of the advertisement... making absolutely no sense if you want people to see your ad.

The ads here, based on real advertisements mind you...
Posted Image
Make a lot more sense. You can see them outside your window, you can see them as you ride the ferries through the "streets", there are some which you can see while actually in the walkways, too, and nothing requires you to be able to simultaineously see an entire city block with an omniscient view to see it.

A person from outside america watches a US commercial and wants to know what the hell humpback whales have to do with mutual funds. I watch your average asian commercial, I have no clue what they are advertising until the say what it is.. because we lack the context.

Not understanding is not the same as lack of. For all we know the Hologram women is that generations Miley Cyrus or J/Lo and anyone who looks at it knows it at a glance.

I think you are reading way too much into it. It's meant to have a bit of an updated BladeRunner feel. For every person who disliked it, I've spoken to two or three who absolutely loved the visual feel of the film.

It's not throwaway visual nonsense like Ultraviolet or Resident Evil or Aeon Flux.

#63 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 05:26 PM

View PostGrimRiver, on 07 May 2017 - 05:17 PM, said:

"The word (anime) is the abbreviated pronunciation of "animation" in Japanese, where this term references all animation."

The search anime, produces very specific artistic styles.
The search Western Cartoon also produces very specific artistic styles.
Western anime, also produces a very distinct set of specific artistic styles.

Each leads to denominations or genres within the generic term "Animation."

#64 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 05:27 PM

View PostGrimRiver, on 07 May 2017 - 05:17 PM, said:

All anime is animation. Not all animation is anime. In common NA and most European parlance, Anime specifically refers to the animation and style thereof that comes from a pretty specific and somewhat narrow genre from Japan.
https://www.merriam-...ictionary/anime
http://www.urbandict....php?term=anime
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/anime

#65 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 07 May 2017 - 05:41 PM

Some people say no.....

But I say yes, to something that can be animated well that is. This is why:

I don't think I've ever really looked to find the animator to this. we should find them, and perhaps get him to start a paetron since PLEXI dipped out on the short animations awhile back >:-(

Edited by Scout Derek, 07 May 2017 - 05:43 PM.

#66 GrimRiver

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 05:47 PM

View PostKoniving, on 07 May 2017 - 05:26 PM, said:

The search anime, produces very specific artistic styles.
The search Western Cartoon also produces very specific artistic styles.
Western anime, also produces a very distinct set of specific artistic styles.

Each leads to denominations or genres within the generic term "Animation."

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 May 2017 - 05:27 PM, said:

All anime is animation. Not all animation is anime. In common NA and most European parlance, Anime specifically refers to the animation and style thereof that comes from a pretty specific and somewhat narrow genre from Japan.
https://www.merriam-...ictionary/anime
http://www.urbandict....php?term=anime
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/anime

The word anime itself is a westernized version of aɲime
(アニメ)

"Arguably, the culturally abstract approach to the word's meaning may open up the possibility of anime produced in countries other than Japan"

"In Japanese, the term anime refers to all forms of animation from around the world."

In Japan they refer to all animation as anime, even from other countries.

#67 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 05:50 PM

View PostGrimRiver, on 07 May 2017 - 05:47 PM, said:

The word anime itself is a westernized version of aɲime
(アニメ)

"Arguably, the culturally abstract approach to the word's meaning may open up the possibility of anime produced in countries other than Japan"

"In Japanese, the term anime refers to all forms of animation from around the world."

In Japan they refer to all animation as anime, even from other countries.

Cool story. You Japanese, or living in Japan? Then that may hold some degree of water. For the other 99.9% of the world? Go fish.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 08 May 2017 - 08:48 AM.

#68 GrimRiver

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 06:02 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 May 2017 - 05:50 PM, said:

Cool story. You Japanese, or living in Japan? Then that way hold some degree of water. For the other 99.9% of the world? Go fish.

No, but the word is a direct translation to animation.

Even Google states this along with wikipedia and several Japanese sites.

"In Japanese, anime is written as “アニメ” (literally, “anime”) and is short for the word “animation” (アニメーション or “animeeshon”)"

"Shortening words is common in Japanese, for example, “remote control” (リモートコントロール or “rimooto kontorooru”) becomes “rimokon” (リモコン)"

#69 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 06:04 PM

Why. Do. We. Care? Leave the inability to grasp the concept of "context" to Paigan.

#70 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 07 May 2017 - 06:07 PM

Trailers is where its at.

Followed up by a good game. Although FF XV made an entire popular movie.

Then there is product placement.

FF XV and Fallout 4 are easily the two biggest games in the last few years. Even bigger games coming up. FF VII remake(actually 3 full games) and 2 titles Bethesda is keeping secret, M&B II will be huge as well but maybe not as hyped, not sure.

Edited by Johnny Z, 07 May 2017 - 06:29 PM.

#71 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:13 PM

View PostGrimRiver, on 07 May 2017 - 06:02 PM, said:

No,

K. That's all you needed to say. Stop arguing for the sake of arguing. Thx.

#72 Shadowomega1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 987 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:45 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 07 May 2017 - 05:41 PM, said:

Some people say no.....

I don't think I've ever really looked to find the animator to this. we should find them, and perhaps get him to start a paetron since PLEXI dipped out on the short animations awhile back >:-(

That animator would be Sirdubdub on Deviantart.

http://sirdubdub.dev...lery/?catpath=/

Edited by Shadowomega1, 07 May 2017 - 08:45 PM.

#73 RaptorRage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 133 posts
  • LocationLB-79

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:44 PM

Could use a MechWarrior game that portrays BattleMech movement and combat based on the source artwork and lore for a change instead of continuing to stick to the stiff and safe giant walking tank meme that all the games have used. In that sense it would probably be more of an anime style of combat with regard to portraying human like movement with the Mechs controlled by myomers and neurohelmets that hasn't really been properly represented in any title to date. Not to mention integrating melee combat that is a prominent feature of the series that is often derided because of its anime mecha roots. Also having the pilot actually be a meaningful part of the Mech's control and performance like they are usually shown in mecha anime since pilots are supposed to be personally affected by things like heat buildup in the Mech, which is why they have cooling vests, and take neural feedback damage as well from ammo explosions and such.

Edited by RaptorRage, 07 May 2017 - 09:58 PM.

#74 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:09 PM

View PostNesutizale, on 07 May 2017 - 02:53 PM, said:

That one is very well done. Drawn and animated over 4 years' worth of weekends !
For those who haven't seen it

Beside that, anyone rembering "Grave of the fireflys"? Also a greate anime thats very seriouse.

Lets say someone would say he is doing a BT-Series, animated, real, CGI, whatever, what timeline would you prefer?

I would like to see the beginnings again, the inner fighting of the greate houses and against each other.
Or go the other extrem and go to the Dark Age and the start of the conflicts there.

Beside that a mini series about the different units would be nice. Espacialy the Grey Death Legion and Wolfs Dragoons.
I wouldn't even mind if they do just a 1:1 retelling of the novels.

want an awesome anime? Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honnêamise

#75 SuomiWarder

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:26 PM

Don't care about a b Tech anime one way or another - but I take issue with the notion that Battletech has its roots in Anime shows. Jordan and Wiesman wanted to do a multiplayer battling robot computer game. But there was no internet yet and home computers stunk. So they decided to try to make money as a "war game". They eventually managed to launch a few Tesla Pod centers that were linked for multiplayer. (later Tesla the car company came, not sure if the name Tesla Pod is still in use).

They licensed the mecha art from Harmony Gold (who may or may not have had legal permission to do so) because it was cheaper, quicker and easier than paying a local stateside artist (again, no web to just run a free lance robot artists search).

#76 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:53 PM

Because the Japanese language did not use the written word till it was imported from China. Seriously, there are all four different alphabets showcased.

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 May 2017 - 05:50 PM, said:

Cool story. You Japanese, or living in Japan? Then that way hold some degree of water. For the other 99.9% of the world? Go fish.

Seriously? That's like telling Koniving he doesn't get to weigh in on a lore or table top mechanics discussion because he didn't write the books.

I mean, go ahead and argue all you want, but atleast have the decency to come up with an actual arguement.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 07 May 2017 - 10:54 PM.

#77 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:00 PM

View PostLeone, on 07 May 2017 - 10:53 PM, said:

Because the Japanese language did not use the written word till it was imported from China. Seriously, there are all four different alphabets showcased.

Seriously? That's like telling Koniving he doesn't get to weigh in on a lore or table top mechanics discussion because he didn't write the books.

I mean, go ahead and argue all you want, but atleast have the decency to come up with an actual arguement.

~Leone.

I believe I did. Hence the several links I posted.

Cherry pick all you like... I made my case, and the facts, support my stance.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 07 May 2017 - 11:02 PM.

#78 Unendingmenace

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Participant
  • WC 2017 Participant
  • 110 posts
  • LocationDropship Dire Wolf

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:09 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 07 May 2017 - 04:27 AM, said:

I'd prefer Battletech TV series to be honest. After reading BT novels, I just can't imagine an anime based on it will be popular enough.

I agree. Myself, I would much prefer a mature Battletech TV drama with a SHITTON of money thrown at it. There's plenty of time period's which they could have it set in but I feel as though the beginning of the Clan Invasion would be best. (At least initially) Essentially, the events surrounding the 'Blood of Kerensky' era. Movies would be great too but I feel as though they would be able to flesh out the story a lot more using the length of a TV show.

Edited by Unendingmenace, 07 May 2017 - 11:13 PM.

#79 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:13 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 07 May 2017 - 01:10 PM, said:

Point in example, the TIE fighter short film on YouTube.

View PostNesutizale, on 07 May 2017 - 02:53 PM, said:

That one is very well done. Drawn and animated over 4 years' worth of weekends !
For those who haven't seen it

Beside that, anyone rembering "Grave of the fireflys"? Also a greate anime thats very seriouse.

Lets say someone would say he is doing a BT-Series, animated, real, CGI, whatever, what timeline would you prefer?

I would like to see the beginnings again, the inner fighting of the greate houses and against each other.
Or go the other extrem and go to the Dark Age and the start of the conflicts there.

Beside that a mini series about the different units would be nice. Espacialy the Grey Death Legion and Wolfs Dragoons.
I wouldn't even mind if they do just a 1:1 retelling of the novels.

The author has started work on a Mecha inspired anime project this year.
It is still early enough to influence the script.

View PostScout Derek, on 07 May 2017 - 05:41 PM, said:

Some people say no.....

Orion being kickass always bring tears to my eye.

Posted Image

Speaker here.
That scene is definitely from Japan judging by some of the service advertised on signpost.

Posted Image

That movie shot looks abit more like Blade Runner's cityscape, but I like how it feature signpost with several different Asian language.
Top left purple and middle green text being Japanese (green text seem to advertising for the robot in the middle)
Center right teal text being Korean
Bottom right and far right red text is Chinese

#80 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:23 PM

Yeah this looks like Hong Kong back in the 1980s. It felt like a real cyberpunk city. Heck modern Chinese cities now in the mainland China feel like cyberpunk cities. The scenes look like they were copied from photographs, even retaining the Traditional Chinese script in their signs.

Edited by Anjian, 07 May 2017 - 11:24 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users