Boreal Vault Fw

72 replies to this topic

#21 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 01:44 PM

Can't we replace the gates with the destroyable walls from Incursion? It's a rather weak level of immersion as it is. With generators conveniently in sight from outside of the gate. And why would the doors open when the generator is destroyed? Wouldn't it have no power to do so at that point?

Edited by MechaBattler, 08 May 2017 - 01:44 PM.

#22 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 08 May 2017 - 02:52 PM

View PostMechaBattler, on 08 May 2017 - 01:44 PM, said:

And why would the doors open when the generator is destroyed?

Mechcommander (both games) had gates which lowered into the ground when the connected power generator was destroyed. Gates in fp opening on generator destruction is probably inspired by that.

#23 Tyler Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:36 PM

View PostXiphias, on 08 May 2017 - 10:55 AM, said:

You can do that, but you waste too much time taking down the gate if you do. The conga line is the fastest way to get the gate down and while you will take some fire, it's pretty spread out if the team does it well. If you're having to open the gate yourself you method is probably better, but at that point you've probably already lost.

Uh, it takes 20 seconds...

#24 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:39 PM

View PostExilyth, on 08 May 2017 - 02:52 PM, said:

Mechcommander (both games) had gates which lowered into the ground when the connected power generator was destroyed. Gates in fp opening on generator destruction is probably inspired by that.

Yeah guess PGI's guys didn't play Mechcommander. Makes more sense that way as opposed to sliding doors.

#25 Pixel Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 388 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:17 PM

ITT: all the clanners say you have to run a specific weapon on a specific map to counter clan mechs

yeah, well, that's just showing how bad balance is

#26 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:42 PM

View PostXiphias, on 08 May 2017 - 09:40 AM, said:

The best way to avoid taking fire on Boreal:

Against a good team it is definitely biased to the defends, but the above are still generally the best team tactics to maintain cover and get in range.

https://vimeo.com/168907207

Pretty much my preferred approach to the T.

~Leone

#27 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:21 PM

View PostTyler Valentine, on 08 May 2017 - 04:36 PM, said:

Uh, it takes 20 seconds...

I think I initially misunderstood what you were recommending. You can only get one (maybe two) mechs up there though, so it's going to take longer. If you team is pugs that might be the better strat, but if you have some coordination the conga line is still the best option.

View PostLeone, on 08 May 2017 - 07:42 PM, said:

https://vimeo.com/168907207

Pretty much my preferred approach to the T.

~Leone

Video pretty much summarizes all the points I was making. You do go left instead of right when you respawn. That's okay most of the time, but right side and then saddle is the safer route and what you need to take against decent teams.

Edited by Xiphias, 08 May 2017 - 09:21 PM.

#28 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:56 PM

View PostGimpy117, on 08 May 2017 - 07:17 PM, said:

ITT: all the clanners say you have to run a specific weapon on a specific map to counter clan mechs

You think Clanners aren't bringing specific loadouts for this map?

Seriously, wtf. You're complaining about balance because people recommend that you bring the best long-range IS weapon to a long-range map? What did you want to bring, MGs and SRMs?

Edited by Kubernetes, 08 May 2017 - 10:00 PM.

#29 Templar Dane

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 10:01 PM

View PostGimpy117, on 08 May 2017 - 07:17 PM, said:

Every 12 man group I have played with during this event switches their dropdeck to suit the map/mode we are playing on.

You saying that you shouldn't have to do the same? A one-dropdeck-fits-all answer to everything?

#30 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,242 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:47 AM

Destructable walls are a good idea. Makes more sense.

As for Dropdecks...not everyone has multiple dropdecks. My IS one kinda works and my Clan one still needs some work...so no selection to be made.
Remember that not everyone here has the time and/or money to build up several dropdecks, master them and get all the modules.
If you want FW to stay "Elite" player only then don't complain about long wait times.

#31 Savage Wolf

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationÅrhus, Denmark

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:00 AM

View PostTyler Valentine, on 08 May 2017 - 09:32 AM, said:

You are aware of quirked ERLLs right?

Yeah... a few quirked viable IS mechs VS well.. ANY clan mech.
"Balance"
There is a difference between having long range mechs in all weight categories and having only in a few.
Clan still has a significant range advantage unless they directly try not to have.

#32 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,823 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:37 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 09 May 2017 - 01:47 AM, said:

As for Dropdecks...not everyone has multiple dropdecks. My IS one kinda works and my Clan one still needs some work...so no selection to be made.
Remember that not everyone here has the time and/or money to build up several dropdecks, master them and get all the modules.
If you want FW to stay "Elite" player only then don't complain about long wait times.

That's not a problem with the game mode, that's a problem with your account. Even if you have only one dropdeck, you can still set up 1-2 mechs for long range, 1-2 for mid range. Not my (or other players) problem that you can't set up a competitive dropdeck.

View PostSavage Wolf, on 09 May 2017 - 06:00 AM, said:

"Balance"
There is a difference between having long range mechs in all weight categories and having only in a few.
Clan still has a significant range advantage unless they directly try not to have.

Every IS weight class has mechs that are quirked for long range, try again.

#33 SmokedJag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:50 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 09 May 2017 - 01:47 AM, said:

If you want FW to stay "Elite" player only then don't complain about long wait times

The mode is tagged as for more advanced play. It's fine for it to require specialized equipment / more advanced accounts to play *optimally.* It even gives you warning you don't get in QP that you should change out 'Mechs because it's "that" map.

I only have one Hellbringer and it's configured for extreme range so if I see a more brawly map/goal come up I run over and edit in the trial Hellbringer champion instead since that's hella deadlier from 500m in.

At a certain point this becomes "why can't I tank Nighthold in LFR, I just dinged 110!" And you're still being allowed to *try* in MWOs case, you're just going to make sacrifices

#34 iLLcapitan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 654 posts
  • LocationBirdhouse

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:55 AM

OMG you baddies!
Play 2 games on a map, get no clue whatsoever and come complain on the forums.

Hint: the right gate on boreal can be opened without beeing shot whatsoever - if you know the right spot.

What people still havent figured out: These chokepoints are one of the few examples that force TEAMPLAY.
Thats what FW is designed for btw.

If you're not willing to invest some time, learn the maps, practice different approaches with your team, yet still expect to win against people / teams that did exactly that - you're a lunatic.

#35 Savage Wolf

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationÅrhus, Denmark

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:01 AM

View PostVxheous Kerensky, on 09 May 2017 - 06:37 AM, said:

Every IS weight class has mechs that are quirked for long range, try again.

Even if that was true, that would still leave clans well ahead in terms of selection. So you have by no means made it equal. "Few" is still less than "All".

#36 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:07 AM

View PostSavage Wolf, on 09 May 2017 - 06:00 AM, said:

"Balance"

For the Range Game, there aren't really many Clam choices. For the Extreme range, at least. That's beyond PPC effective use
1100+M

I guess I haven't tried a ERLL H2C-A, he does have good mounts
The 65 tonners have decent mounts, but not much otherwise. Loki is a fairly balanced robot. Not particularly powerful, or durable, but fair in most regards.

Yet, of course. I'm sure we'll have a Grabdeal to fix that (Rifleman 2C?)

Edited by Mcgral18, 09 May 2017 - 07:08 AM.

#37 Savage Wolf

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationÅrhus, Denmark

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:09 AM

View PostiLLcapitan, on 09 May 2017 - 06:55 AM, said:

OMG you baddies!
Play 2 games on a map, get no clue whatsoever and come complain on the forums.

Hint: the right gate on boreal can be opened without beeing shot whatsoever - if you know the right spot.

What people still havent figured out: These chokepoints are one of the few examples that force TEAMPLAY.
Thats what FW is designed for btw.

If you're not willing to invest some time, learn the maps, practice different approaches with your team, yet still expect to win against people / teams that did exactly that - you're a lunatic.

Then you should be able to offer some advice. Please, be constructive, prove people wrong. Just saying that we haven't figured it out yet, means nothing if not proved. Then you might as well be bragging for no reason.

People know how not to get shot opening the beta gate. Not a problem. It's inside the walls that is a long range sniper deathtrap.

#38 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:10 AM

View PostSavage Wolf, on 09 May 2017 - 07:01 AM, said:

Even if that was true, that would still leave clans well ahead in terms of selection. So you have by no means made it equal. "Few" is still less than "All".

"Even if that was true" makes it sound like you have clue about mech selection. Not all clan mechs are made equally, just because you can put a CERLL or CERPPC on every clan mech does not mean that every clan mech will excel in that role. Just like you can put a ERLL or ERPPC on 90%+ of IS mechs.

View PostSavage Wolf, on 09 May 2017 - 07:09 AM, said:

Then you should be able to offer some advice. Please, be constructive, prove people wrong. Just saying that we haven't figured it out yet, means nothing if not proved. Then you might as well be bragging for no reason.

People know how not to get shot opening the beta gate. Not a problem. It's inside the walls that is a long range sniper deathtrap.

The fight inside the gates of Boreal is far easier than the actual breach of the gate for pugs. Once you're in, there's trenches that you can take cover in provided that UAV's are taken care of. It's the opening of gate/chokepoint of gate that even good teams will have issue with on Boreal vs similar skilled opposition.

Edited by Vxheous Kerensky, 09 May 2017 - 07:13 AM.

#39 iLLcapitan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 654 posts
  • LocationBirdhouse

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:16 AM

View PostVxheous Kerensky, on 09 May 2017 - 07:10 AM, said:

"Even if that was true" makes it sound like you have clue about mech selection. Not all clan mechs are made equally, just because you can put a CERLL or CERPPC on every clan mech does not mean that every clan mech will excel in that role. Just like you can put a ERLL or ERPPC on 90%+ of IS mechs.

The fight inside the gates of Boreal is far easier than the actual breach of the gate for pugs. Once you're in, there's trenches that you can take cover in provided that UAV's are taken care of. It's the opening of gate/chokepoint of gate that even good teams will have issue with on Boreal vs similar skilled opposition.

All you gotta do is to be first on the ramp.
All my IS mechs run XL.
Battlemaster is king on Boreal.
Peace.

#40 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:19 AM

View PostiLLcapitan, on 09 May 2017 - 07:16 AM, said:

All you gotta do is to be first on the ramp.
All my IS mechs run XL.
Battlemaster is king on Boreal.
Peace.

You're preaching to the choir here.

17 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users