The Illusion Of Choice That The Skill Tree Presents...and Why We Got A Unilateral Nerf.

67 replies to this topic

#61 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,719 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:57 PM

View PostKhobai, on 16 May 2017 - 06:23 PM, said:

dps weapons got kicked in the nuts. period. those other things youre talking about matter very little compared to cooldown.

What DPS weapons got kicked in the nuts? I've asked TWICE now for examples and I still haven't gotten any examples. UAC2s got nerfed but SRM2s got buffed, that's it. Cooldown also isn't the most important stat for DPS weapons, heat is as well.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 17 May 2017 - 05:58 PM.

#62 R Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:02 PM

View PostGyrok, on 17 May 2017 - 05:07 PM, said:

Actually, clans only get 10% burn duration.

Additionally...ECM is worthless without nodes. At least 1 node for sure...2 is going to be much better.

ECM nodes only effect the size of the bubble. It still works just fine for yourself without nodes.

#63 Cementi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 779 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:04 PM

View PostGyrok, on 15 May 2017 - 09:54 PM, said:

So...we await a new meta.

The new meta will be mobility, operations, and sensors as much as you can get for what you want.

This means there will literally be no choices...

You have to be able to move to keep up. Mobility is a flat out requirement.

You have to be able to track the enemy and remove yourself from their sensors. Sensors is a must.

You have to be able to fire sustained...so you need heat containment, cool running, and all of that to even be on the same level as others. Operations is a must.

So, effectively...this works out to be a flat nerf to current mechs.

Those of you thinking that you were going to load up on armor/structure buffs, or firepower buffs...have fun with that while the rest of your team leaves your mech behind and kills everything before you get there. When you do get shot with your armor structure buffs, good luck torso twisting without any mobility skills, and once you finally get to aim, good luck doing anything with it after your first volley with no cooling.

I am going to try this patch and see what happens, but this is not going to be the choice anyone thinks it will be...I may put this game back on the back burner for a while after this.

I can hear the potatoes screaming everything OP now because they will have no clue about why other mechs are so much more effective against them than they are. "Why is that clan mech shooting twice when I cannot shoot more than once...? Clans OP!"

Whatever...I guess the potatoes are getting what they thought they wanted.

That's some grade A Tier 1 salt there......delicious. Time to go find more threads like this. I am positive that there will be someone out there complaining about how difficult 91 clicks is.

#64 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:09 PM

View PostBlhurr, on 16 May 2017 - 12:33 PM, said:

I have not noticed slower play.

If anything, games seem even faster than before...

#65 Rhent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:16 PM

View Postradiv, on 15 May 2017 - 11:21 PM, said:

Most of this is a lie. Some mechs will be buffed some mechs will be nerfed because of the engine desync.
You dont need speed tweak to be able to follow ur group its not like its more important than engine size
You dont need sensors, its nice but not a requirement
You dont need heacontainment, you can just run pure ballistics

Written like a non brawler. You need target info gathering to know which component is vulnerable to be blown off. You need heat containment/cooling and rapid DPS for brawlers because you just took a facefull of fire getting into brawling range. You need to be able to torso twist while jumping in the air spreading damage while you are shooting those exposed armor slots. Welcome to 2014, you are going back to sniper and poptart warrior online. This is what Paul knows, it what he loves, we are all playing his game how he wants us to play, Eff the player, all worship the God King Paul and lack of basic effin intelligence and talent as a game designer.

#66 Tavious Grimm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 255 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:21 PM

So, my take on the skill tree, mind you I'm not an elite player and this tree is for theory crafter's. Its a miss, to many nodes not enough bonuses per node. To get anything relevant such as speed tweak, radar dep, etc. You have to go deep into the relevant tree pretty much forsaking something else. IS assaults are pretty much useless in CW, too slow unless you mount an XL in there in which case all of the survival nodes will only delay the inevitable. My biggest issue with the tree is the gorram yellow triangle informing you there are nodes that are not viable to the load out but doesn't point out the nodes. Some will say well you should know. But the point is that if I need to get something do I really need to through these non critical nodes? It would be nice if they informed or pointed out what to avoid for a viable build. We've (my unit) have noticed that Clan mechs are now much beefier and more capable of brawling, which is a considerable disadvantage for IS mechs. They really.... REALLY need to pay attention to the player base and test their own product. Just my two C-bills worth.

#67 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:42 PM

You can have the whole mobility tree for 40 points, including tweak, or you can leave off tweak (which isn't necessary in all cases) and a few of the torso pitch and yaw extensions and still get all the agility buffs for ~30pts.

60% of Radar dep and 50% of Seismic can be had for a 10 point investment, along with most of TIG and a touch of range and decay.

All the cooling skills in the Ops tree can be had for ~20pts.

That leaves 20-30 points for whatever. That's most of the Survival tree or a nice big pile of weapon buffs- or the entire jet tree and then some, if you're poptarting or jump brawling.

Do some of the values need to be adjusted? Absolutely. But there are plenty of skill points to get a very good spread of skills with- you just need to pick one or two trees to focus on rather than trying to have everything. Start with what you need most, and work outward from there. Alternately, you could fill out the whole tree and start eliminating nodes until you're down to 91. Sometimes it's easier to decide what you don't need one step at a time rather than trying to identify what you do need from a multitude of choices.

#68 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:30 PM

View PostKiran Yagami, on 17 May 2017 - 06:02 PM, said:

ECM nodes only effect the size of the bubble. It still works just fine for yourself without nodes.

No...it does not work just fine for yourself, unless you are good with being targeted any time an enemy is under 600m.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users