299 replies to this topic

#281 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 10 June 2017 - 04:11 AM

My experiance with the skill tree so far is good. In my case it does encourage me to buy more mechs since now I don't have to buy 3 to break into a new chassis and I have loads of GSP to instantly master them, I can just try out any mech as long as I have the cbills and to me that feels a lot less grindy than before. My rate of buying new mechs has definitely gone up.

The tree itself is ok, not exactly how I'd like it but it's alright.

What IS a mess is the million different XP currencies and converting system, feels like I got a mini stock market in my mechlab. Though I'm not really using it since I just use GSP to master mechs and will keep doing that for about 100 more mechs.

I don't think skilling should cost cbills, it creates a very awkward relation between skilling up and buying/building mechs and is the whole reason for the ridiculous currency system.

PGI should remove all the cbill costs in the skill tree and just increase the XP costs instead, which would be much cleaner. If they do that they can also remove GSP and SP and just let us buy everything with GXP and XP directly. Refund people's GSP and SP with corresponding amount of GXP/XP. Finally convert all HXP to XP and let us use the XP pool for each copy of that variant.

#282 BVRCWolf

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 47 posts
  • LocationNorth West

Posted 11 June 2017 - 08:47 AM

Well since the start of this new skill tree I must say that my playing time has gone down. Seems to me that this is a way for the new players to feel comfortable and us old dogs to move on!

Thanks PGI for making me want to play less with your new system.

#283 Mustang

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant General
  • Leftenant General
  • 125 posts
  • LocationMargaritaville , Al

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:04 PM

I've decided to wait till new tech arrives why build something then pay to change it. I do hope PGI does away with the maze regardless of how you navigate it you will go through a few useless nodes to reach your target nodes I agree withBVRCWolf my playing time has dropped off

#284 FknPrycK

• PipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:30 PM

I'll be that guy, I love the changes PGI, keep up the good work!

#285 Bonzai VI

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:39 PM

@Mustang
Dunno... maybe so you can play QP/CW and have fun with it? Why do you play a game? There's your answer why you would skill your mechs now. With the c-bills and massive amounts of xp from playing you can easily change some nodes^^ It's not even that expensive stop flaming for no reason

+ i thought everyone flaming the system has 10s of ks of gsp leftover and poor poor beginner players that can have fun lvling the mechs, so should you even worry bout those 10-15 skill nodes you gonna change?

Edited by Bonzai VI, 12 June 2017 - 09:41 PM.

#286 Chr1701

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:16 AM

The main problem for me is that I have neither time nor motivation to get all my mechs (more than 100) to where they were before. They were all mastered and many were equipped with a full set of modules.

I truly think and feel that you destroyed years of my work (outfitting, upgrading, module-ing...).

So now I have to try and retry (reskill) many many times to be as happy with one single mech as i was before.
I feel punished.
Used to play daily. Now it's like once a week. Dont believe me? Look at my stats, you have them.

#287 Pokey McFlankerson

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:23 AM

View PostChr1701, on 13 June 2017 - 09:16 AM, said:

The main problem for me is that I have neither time nor motivation to get all my mechs (more than 100) to where they were before. They were all mastered and many were equipped with a full set of modules.

I truly think and feel that you destroyed years of my work (outfitting, upgrading, module-ing...).

So now I have to try and retry (reskill) many many times to be as happy with one single mech as i was before.
I feel punished.
Used to play daily. Now it's like once a week. Dont believe me? Look at my stats, you have them.

Good or bad, this change has decreased time-of-play for everyone. We need soldiers on the battlefield NOT in the mech-lab tinkering. I haven't been able to drop a decent scout mode (my favourite game mode) in weeks. Dropping group play during certain times of the day is painfully slow. This game cannot afford another change that will affect the playerbase the way the click-tree has.

BRING NEW MAPS. MAKE MORE AND FIX CURRENT GAME MODES. FIX THE GLITCHES AND REMOVE INVISIBLE WALLS.

Do things that will bring players back and dropping more.

Edited by Pokey McFlankerson, 13 June 2017 - 09:23 AM.

#288 Ragnahawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 645 posts
  • LocationAce in RVN-3L, HBK-4P, CDA-2A, AS7-S, BNC-3M, Won Top Dog Tourny.. Those are my bests

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:30 AM

This is a simple fix man. Metamechs.com has the skill trees already planned out for you.

#289 Pokey McFlankerson

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:52 AM

View PostRagnahawk, on 13 June 2017 - 09:30 AM, said:

This is a simple fix man. Metamechs.com has the skill trees already planned out for you.

Will that make me a true honest-to-goodness mechwarrior?

#290 Billygoat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 298 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:20 AM

I come back to this game every now and then to see what's new, play a few matches in whatever mech since I already had all my favourites spec'd up to where I wanted them, spend a little money on premium time if I really get into it again. Logged in today for the first time in a few months and saw the "refund ledger" pop up. Uh-oh. I've played enough MMOs to know where this is going.

Get into the skill window and... yeesh. I dunno what I was expecting but it definitely wasn't that. I know the old pilot tree system was half-baked and some of it just plain didn't work and it's needed an overhaul for a long time, but wow, I spend enough time fiddling with tedious spreadsheets in my day job, thanks. I play video games to wind down from that crap. Clicked around for a few minutes and logged straight back out.

So yeeeeeeaaaahh, nah, maybe I'll come back again in a few months and see if it's been changed to something fun.

#291 Bonzai VI

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:22 AM

*sigh* there's just no use talking to some of you guys on the forums eh?

@Chr1701
Of course your mechs won't be exactly how they were before the tech tree, but that's because they are now better at what you want them to be. If you want a brawler, take acc/dec + structure/armor. If you go sniper, maybe invest less into the survival tree and more into the weapon tree? If you've got massive amounts of heatsinks (<23) maybe take some cool run nodes with you?

It is tinkering of course, but the difference to before is: now it is YOUR mech. Your Hunchback-IIC now isn't even nearly the same as the enemies ones. Maybe he invested into the mobility tree while you went full into the survival tree? You will tank for your team, he's flanking you.

Your mechs will never be the same as they were but that's a good thing. Change isn't bad, it's how you put it.

@Billygoat
yeah we know the tech tree sucks and PGI is dumb and yadayada. Several people here already cried about it.
If you don't want to play the game just don't. It's as easy as that.
If you want to play it sit down and read a guide if you can't/don't want to read through it yourself. (I and the people i know had fun learning the skill tree)

Once you've understood it and know what specifically you want to take with you, you'll not even need 5 minutes to skill one mech completely through.

And like i already said: Change is not necessarily bad.

Edited by Bonzai VI, 16 June 2017 - 03:16 AM.

#292 Chr1701

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:19 AM

View PostBonzai VI, on 16 June 2017 - 01:22 AM, said:

@Chr1701
Of course your mechs won't be exactly how they were before the tech tree, but that's because they are now better at what you want them to be. If you want a brawler, take acc/dec + structure/armor. If you go sniper, maybe invest less into the survival tree and more into the weapon tree? If you've got massive amounts of heatsinks (<23) maybe take some cool run nodes with you?

It is tinkering of course, but the difference to before is: now it is YOUR mech. Your Hunchback-IIC now isn't even nearly the same as the enemies ones. Maybe he invested into the mobility tree while you went full into the survival tree? You will tank for your team, he's flanking you.

Your mechs will never be the same as they were but that's a good thing. Change isn't bad, it's how you put it.

I see your point, but let me explain mine again:
Imagine you have a handcrafted scultpure, a house that you built yourself or an oldtimer.
With hat beloved item, you not only associate lots of memories.
You also invested a lot of time, money and love into it, maybe you spent even years tinkering, tuning, sculpting.

Then someone takes it from you, utterly destroying it (house burns down, car crash...)

Ok, you get money from insurance to buy something new.
But will you again invest years of your life, doing everything again from scratch?
Or will you maybe just let it RIP and take the money elsewhere?
And even if one finds the motivation for another effort, the feeling of loss will remain.

So if you say: hey, be happy that someone stole your beloved heirloom-oldtimer that you spent years of your life with, because now you can buy a brand new car.... i cannot help but disagree.

Don't destroy my 100 oldtimers, don't destroy the probably thousands (!) of hours of work i put into them and then try to convince me that my loss is a good thing. Just give me my oldtimer back and let me mount a new antenna or new tires. (I know it won't happen, though).

Edited by Chr1701, 16 June 2017 - 03:20 AM.

#293 Bonzai VI

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:16 AM

@Chr1701
What did they take from you? Modules? That was all you could customize before. Now you can actually do something. Nothing from your loadout was changed.

With your example: That oldtimer you bought. You had specially desinged interiors for it. Now there's an accident in which that car is utterly destroyed. The guy that drove into you is generous and has to much money, so he builds you the EXACT same car again with some extras you actually get to choose. So now you've got a car that you can now drive more (and have way more fun with it) since it got that extra equipment that just makes it feel much smoother.

This is an online pvp game. Of course things are going to change. PGI wants to hold/improve the balance we got so everyone can have fun with it. If you want everlasting things play singleplayer games, they won't change stuff.

I just don't think you're complaining about the right things. I found many new toys to play with, and found new loves in my garage. (got about 50 mechs right now, am a mostly f2p player).

You're again making the change look worse than it is^^

Edited by Bonzai VI, 16 June 2017 - 05:53 AM.

#294 Nevermore223

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:43 AM

View PostBonzai VI, on 16 June 2017 - 01:22 AM, said:

@Chr1701

@Billygoat
yeah we know the tech tree sucks and PGI is dumb and yadayada. Several people here already cried about it.
If you don't want to play the game just don't. It's as easy as that.
If you want to play it sit down and read a guide if you can't/don't want to read through it yourself. (I and the people i know had fun learning the skill tree)

Once you've understood it and know what specifically you want to take with you, you'll not even need 5 minutes to skill one mech completely through.

And like i already said: Change is not necessarily bad.

LOL...."once you've understood"....that's rich...understand what?...that PGI just slapped the biggest nerf on this game in it's history and cleverly disguised it as a "massive improvement"? When are you bootlickers gonna wake up?....Change is not ALWAYS necessary .

#295 Inappropriate1

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:44 AM

THE RULE OF THREE WILL GO AWAY... but you have to buy three when you get a mech pack. -- SO..LIE

QUIRKS WILL BE GOING AWAY SO IS AND CLAN ARE ON SIMILAR FOOTING, but no they are staying so we can screw with the game and push you to pay cash for mechs. SO..LIE

THERE WILL BE A SINGLE PLAYER GAME AS PART OF MWO, but now its a new piece of software so pay us cash for what we promised you would have in game. SO..ANOTHER LIE.

KNOW WHEN YOU ARE BEING LIED, TO. THAT'S ALL.

#296 Cracko

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 02:48 PM

I'm done with this game.. spent a lot of money and time getting mechs where
I wanted them.. A minor tweak here and there is one thing but this? This kind of
change should have been in phases to say the least..Played quite few years
and now this system is confusing time consuming.. I'm not wasting time to relearn
all this.. its not fun.. some of us actually work and don't have a keyboard strapped
to our heads.. What PGI did was change the whole game in one swoop.. What this
skill tree method has done is what World of Warcraft did back in the day. Its called
theory crafting. There were whole websites dedicated to it in getting the most out
of your character (gear, consumables, armor, speed, damage bonuses etc).
The difference there was campaigns is were that really came in handy or longer pvp
events. I took the time and money to buy, spec out, and mod the mechs over the span
of years playing including buying the new mech packages. Lots of premium time banked
and for what. A refund in c-bills? should be MC's to say the very least . In fact if this was
a this for that change then all mechs should have been auto spec'd according to the skills
and mods purchased per mech with the option to change it. Yes you have the right to change
the games but as a customer in now feel ripped off in the process and so I'm stating how I feel
and see it. I'm sure there will be others who don't that is fine but I bought packages
of mechs premium time so to spec out and open up module spaces for said mechs under
a certain set of conditions and that's changed as far as I can see. Since I only need one mech
instead of 3 then the bundles were unnecessary hence MC's and real money should
be refunded.......

Edited by Cracko, 18 June 2017 - 02:54 PM.

#297 SirDubba

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:42 AM

Borked. I'm not sure what to think or what to say so, sorry about that. I kinda want a refund of everything I ever bought. Or Skill Tree 3.0, oh wait, skills should be something the player itself has and develops, not like this kind of rpg leveling which doesn't belong to a sim-like battle game. It overcomplicates or rather shadows the building experience with an extra layer.
The focus should be on the player building the 'Mechs and learning to pilot them, not on the foreverlasting grind to get enough points to make 'mechs behave "properly" and another grind to get more builds to grind.

Developers must have been thinking this long and hard. So much ideas, so many work hours and a lot of beerstorming, such a high goal to achieve. So much invested in fact that maybe they didn't see properly anymore or just couldn't back up a little.

Instead of "skill tree" the game should have a deeper customization in the mechlab (if we really have to have something more), like power distribution between the equipment and tune-ups on each 'Mech, and maybe even modules.
But if this skill tree is here to stay, for the love of sanity, don't charge c-bills for skills or respecs! This could be the worst grind-inducing decision thrusted upon this game ever! And it hurts my logic!

But then again, it all borks down to content. After closed beta I thought I'd save my banked premium time and wait until the game would have something to keep me interested for a whole month at a time. Still waiting, on almost 8000 hours now, oops.
I still feel this game never left the BETA-status because we still haven't got:
  • a properly working and smooth user interface
  • finished game engine optimization and all the features a modern game should have
  • new netcode
  • a good variety of maps and game modes
  • >> motivational content <<
I don't want to rant anymore. There's still a game here.
Thanks and apologies

#298 Bonzai VI

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 170 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:53 AM

@Nevermore223

View PostNevermore223, on 17 June 2017 - 05:43 AM, said:

LOL...."once you've understood"....that's rich...understand what?...that PGI just slapped the biggest nerf on this game in it's history and cleverly disguised it as a "massive improvement"? When are you bootlickers gonna wake up?....Change is not ALWAYS necessary .

My "once you've understood" was meant that once he understands the tech tree.
And your "biggest nerf" doesn't affect only you/your own mechs. It affects EVERYONE in this game. So everyone is on an even field.

Edited by Bonzai VI, 19 June 2017 - 11:53 AM.

#299 Shub73

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:06 PM

the new skill tree made casual players happy because just lower the standards of playing MWO. For who invest so much tmie to skill the mechs he like see how they crumble that game is too much. Id play 10 days with new skill tree and its sucks... sucks alot... i understand a company to raise money have better chance increase the number of players instead improve theyre skill.. so... here we are. Im out.

I hope who remain will enjoy MWO as much as possible...

Ciao

#300 Bonzai VI

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:52 PM

@Shub73
I feel like i have the obligation to ask:

Can i have your stuff?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users