Mwo Skill Tree Intro Tutorial(Video)

41 replies to this topic

#21 Kusunoki Masashige

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 131 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:48 PM

[color=#1D2129]PGI ruined the game, its completely unplayable now and i urge players to stop playing till PGI reverts back to the pre-skill tree system. For new players coming in please be wary they have really jacked up the game and you shouldn't spend your hard earned dollars on it until they fix it.[/color]

#22 joker1974

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 106 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:29 AM

Thanks for the explanation, some good tips in there.

But then this "Any insight into why PGI thought it best to spam us with over 200 nodes and 91 choices" (quote from previous poster).
This is some utterly stupid thing PGI did. Next to the un-linear trees per skill. If you want cooldown, you should go from 1 to 5 nodes in 1 line, not all the way across the tree. They've made the skill trees unlogical and too complicated for the casual player.

I've done 3 mechs so far, and all are way less effective than before. You're now forced to choose 1 path (ie laser build mech), max out the nodes suited for the build. Makes more players go 1 type of build, which we've seen in the months before as well, but now PGI is making you do it.

My 2 cents.

#23 xMEPHISTOx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:17 AM

Unsure as to whether the changes are in fact better or worse playability wise but i just dont have the 3-4 days it would take (accounting for my limited gaming time) to redo alllllllll my 50+ mechs...just ridiculous. I guess i will just play WoT and WT for now lol, oh well.

#24 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 31 May 2017 - 12:08 PM

View PostxMEPHISTOx, on 31 May 2017 - 11:17 AM, said:

Unsure as to whether the changes are in fact better or worse playability wise but i just dont have the 3-4 days it would take (accounting for my limited gaming time) to redo alllllllll my 50+ mechs...just ridiculous. I guess i will just play WoT and WT for now lol, oh well.

you realise you do not have to skill all your Mechs at once right?

I have skilled about 25 of my approx 215 Mechs, I will do a few when I have the time, otherwise it takes less than 5 minutes a Mech to skill the Mech when you want to use it

#25 Serpentine Shel Serpentine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 187 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 05:05 PM

I played the old skill tree for 3-4 months and like the new one better. More options .. the old one was uniform and involved no strategy.

#26 Capt Starfish

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 02:05 PM

Great tutorial - thanks. The thing I can't figure out is Pilot Skills. Where is that managed? Since the recent update are there non-chassis specific skills anymore?

#27 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 11 June 2017 - 02:52 PM

View Postbaldchris, on 11 June 2017 - 02:05 PM, said:

Great tutorial - thanks. The thing I can't figure out is Pilot Skills. Where is that managed? Since the recent update are there non-chassis specific skills anymore?

all skills now are per chassis, there are no longer any pilot skills, just Mech skills.

pretty much all the old weapon modules are now rolled into the weapon tree, most of the old Mech modules are rolled in somewhere else in the tree, e.g. target info gathering, 360 target retention, target decay, siesmic sensor and radar deprivation are in the sensors tree
capture accelerator and the UAV, coolshot and strike upgrades are in the auxillary tree,.
the mobility tree includes several others, the suvivability tree includes shock absorption, there may be 1-2 old modules which did not have their functionality transferred accross but it is possible to unlock the equivelant of pretty much every old pilot module with 90 skill points.

#28 Aldoracer

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:20 PM

Is 91 SP a universal cap for any mech?

#29 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,456 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:28 PM

View PostAldoracer, on 22 June 2017 - 11:20 PM, said:

Is 91 SP a universal cap for any mech?

Yes. 91 active is the cap.
you can unlock all nodes and then swap around these (requires only 400xp for re-activating previously unlocked nodes).
But most likely you will only unlock 91 to 120 nodes on most mechs, if you want to swap some (e.g. some different weapon nodes for a new loadout).

#30 Peace2U

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:50 AM

I have a couple of 'duplicate' mechs (ie: just won a second battlemaster 1G).
It was my understanding that if you 'mastered' one chassis type, all chassis of the same type (like my 1G) would automatically inherit the mech skills???
Why is this not happening?

Thanks for any details on this issue.
Peace

#31 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,456 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:04 AM

View PostPeace2U, on 12 July 2017 - 05:50 AM, said:

I have a couple of 'duplicate' mechs (ie: just won a second battlemaster 1G).
It was my understanding that if you 'mastered' one chassis type, all chassis of the same type (like my 1G) would automatically inherit the mech skills???
Why is this not happening?

Thanks for any details on this issue.
Peace

before the Skill Tree, all mechs of the same variant "shared" the unlocks of the skills, as these were always the same.

now with the Skill Tree you no longer have sharing and can now skill differently on two mechs of the same variant.
This gives benefit of having multiple of the same variant, if you like that one - you can spec and build one mech for one role and the other for a different role.

This also comes together with no longer needing 3 variants before you can Elite/Master a mech.

#32 technopredator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:00 AM

PGI should hire devs that can design good GUIs, I've seen better GUIs on Anime

#33 Lawrance Frang

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:42 PM

do Trial mechs still earn Skill Points ?

#34 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:44 AM

View PostLawrance Frang, on 03 August 2017 - 08:42 PM, said:

do Trial mechs still earn Skill Points ?

No.

#35 Lawrence Frans

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:38 AM

I see it now, that sux
Posted Image

#36 borisbadenov

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:30 AM

Thanks, Andi. Much appreciated for the info

#37 arcana75

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 07:24 AM

Some questions about the skill tree:

1) What's the significance of gold nodes?

2) The skill tree, top right corner it says X/91 nodes. This means you can have only 91 active nodes at any one time?

3) I wonder if my math or logic is wrong? I buy 2 SP to activate 2 nodes, that costs me 2x800XP, or 1600XP. I use both SP to activate 2 nodes on my skill tree. Ok now instead I buy only 1 SP, it costs me 800XP. I use it to activate 1 node. I save the config. Then I remove the activated node, I get the 1 SP refund. I use it to activate a 2nd node. I then use XP to re-activate the 1st node, this costs me 400xp. With 2 active nodes my total XP spent is 800+400 = 1200XP. There has to be something wrong here right?

#38 Serpentine Shel Serpentine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 187 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 07:59 AM

View Postarcana75, on 09 September 2017 - 07:24 AM, said:

Some questions about the skill tree:

1) What's the significance of gold nodes?

2) The skill tree, top right corner it says X/91 nodes. This means you can have only 91 active nodes at any one time?

3) I wonder if my math or logic is wrong? I buy 2 SP to activate 2 nodes, that costs me 2x800XP, or 1600XP. I use both SP to activate 2 nodes on my skill tree. Ok now instead I buy only 1 SP, it costs me 800XP. I use it to activate 1 node. I save the config. Then I remove the activated node, I get the 1 SP refund. I use it to activate a 2nd node. I then use XP to re-activate the 1st node, this costs me 400xp. With 2 active nodes my total XP spent is 800+400 = 1200XP. There has to be something wrong here right?

Hi - welcome to MWO! The skill tree is a fun part of the game. I recommend you review the patch notes that accompanied the skill tree lodoat, the video posted at the top of this posting chain, and various walk through on YouTube (I recommend Blackhawk SC, Kanajashi and Snuggles Time for reliable info). To give brief answers to these questions:

1. There are no special nodes the colors just help you find what your looking for by general category within a tree .. at least in the ballistics tree. I think that's what you are talking about.

2. Yes only 91 active nodes allowed, but you can buy all of them. Only 91 active at one time.

3. You're error I think is that you do not get an SP refund when deactivating a node. Activating a node is a non-refundable transaction. If you save the skill tree your purchase is permanent. If you later deactivate it, you can reactivate it for 400 XP or GXP instead of an SP (so you save 400xp and the C-bill cost). You choose whether to use XP or GXP when clicking on the right or left of the node (that took me some time to discover). You cannot activate a previously activate node with SP, which is annoying in a small class of situations: where you already have enough SP on the mech to do what you want and don't want to spend more XP.

Hope that is helpful!

Edited by Serpentine Shel Serpentine, 09 September 2017 - 08:01 AM.

#39 arcana75

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 06:27 PM

Thanks for the clarifications :)

#40 getThePoint

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 02:47 AM

(i) The maximum SPs to allocate (assign to skill nodes) are 91?
(ii) I accidentally transferred more than 91 HSPs to a certain mech. Now there are unused SPs. Is there any way to either allocate them to one of the remaining nodes (239 - 91 = 148) or move them back to the GSP pool?

Thanks for answering!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users