Heat Generation Or Cool Run. Whats Better?

128 replies to this topic

#121 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 05:22 AM

View PostKhobai, on 28 July 2017 - 07:34 PM, said:

I dont like putting any points in survival tree because shock absorbance and reinforced casing are a waste of skill points.

Id rather put points into a skill tree where my points arnt wasted on pointless skills.

So like, Solahma's skill tree?

#122 KodiakGW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 29 July 2017 - 05:47 AM

View PostKhobai, on 28 July 2017 - 07:34 PM, said:

I dont like putting any points in survival tree because shock absorbance and reinforced casing are a waste of skill points.

Id rather put points into a skill tree where my points arnt wasted on pointless skills.

Problem is, every tree has pointless skills. Maybe not completely useless for every mech. But, they exist for "gating" because having a few extra SP to spend on the other anemic % increases available will take a mech from viable to SO OMFGLOL OP!!!!!!!!

Torso yaw on an Urbie? Hill Climb on any mech with locked JJ? Cooldown with RACs? Advanced Gyros on a Locust? Radar Deprivation with ECM? I can name at least 20 more instances.

Best thing right now is to find a mech with obscene quirks and game the tree to take advantage of the additional bump you get from the percentages...until it is nerfed.

#123 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 07:56 AM

Problem is, every tree has pointless skills.

not every tree

weapons tree for example has mostly useful stuff

so I put most of my points there

#124 Methanoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 360 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 01:45 AM

View PostKhobai, on 29 July 2017 - 07:56 AM, said:

not every tree

weapons tree for example has mostly useful stuff

so I put most of my points there

its still flawed, say i want my kitfox 3x ams to have the extended range on the ams like i had b4 the skill tree appeared, i now have to take a load of weapon range skills just to buff the range on my ams when i dont want any buffs to my actual weapons ranges at all.

Want a small buff to speed? you have to take a crapton of obsolete (for my preferred mechs neways) torso yaw/speed/pitch skills just to get to the speed stuff.

the skill tree is a lazy useless mess.

Edited by Methanoid, 11 August 2017 - 01:47 AM.

#125 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 01:47 AM

yeah but weapon range is at least somewhat useful its not a totally useless skill like reinforced casing

#126 Methanoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 360 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:07 AM

View PostKhobai, on 11 August 2017 - 01:47 AM, said:

yeah but weapon range is at least somewhat useful its not a totally useless skill like reinforced casing

plus the fact many skills are percentage based means any mech with a terribly low stat that you actually want to improve gets virtually zero improvement making it a complete waste, whereas skills like radar derp that have a stacked flat and plentiful % increase yield obviously better results.

#127 GabrielSun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 171 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:02 AM

They're both not worth the points unless you have about 20 sinks since they work on a percentage of the existing cooling function. You're better to go for torso twist/yaw/speed.

#128 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:33 AM

Like most skills in the Skill tree, heat gen and cool run only really see any difference when maxed out, and in conjunction.
Are they worthless? Not even close
Especially when utilized for the higher heat weaponry. Case in point with the Heavy Large Laser - 10% heat gen lets you knock that 16 heat weapon down to 14.4. Nothing to write home about but when paired with a high rate of dissipation the benefits are cumulative.

The layout and location of the nodes suck, but at the same time somewhat ideal in that they cause the player to weigh the pros and cons and how they want to shape their build.

#129 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:26 AM

View PostGabrielSun, on 11 August 2017 - 09:02 AM, said:

They're both not worth the points unless you have about 20 sinks since they work on a percentage of the existing cooling function. You're better to go for torso twist/yaw/speed.

Wrong.

Heat gen works independantly of heatsinks as it lowers a weapons heat generated directly. A Clan ERML with max heat gen nodes on a mech with 10 heatsinks takes 5.64 heat to fire, exactly the same as a mech with 20 heatsinks, or 30 heatsinks or 100,000 heatsinks.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users