- - - - -

Are The Clan Mechs Ever Going To Be Properly Balanced?

56 replies to this topic

#1 Medicine Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 433 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:59 PM

Ive been on a long hiatus from the game. The first day back was fun. But now that Ive played a bit I can tell that the balance of the clan mechs has never been solved. Is that ever going to happen? Curre tly the clan light mechs especially seem really overpowered​. All that light weight equipment gives these light clan mechs way to much fire power on such a small and fast chassis.

This is pretty damn frustrating. I should probably just go back on​ hiatus huh? Just look at how many clanner lights were brought to tukkayid. It sicknening that one faction is given so many advantages shile the other side is forced to drive obsolete crap.

#2 B0oN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:21 PM

Dear Sir, look again .

Right now apex IS mechs outperform their clan counterparts .

Go ask the lovely people from EVIL and 420 .

#3 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:29 PM

View PostMedicine Man, on 18 May 2017 - 09:59 PM, said:

Ive been on a long hiatus from the game. The first day back was fun. But now that Ive played a bit I can tell that the balance of the clan mechs has never been solved. Is that ever going to happen? Curre tly the clan light mechs especially seem really overpowered​. All that light weight equipment gives these light clan mechs way to much fire power on such a small and fast chassis.

This is pretty damn frustrating. I should probably just go back on​ hiatus huh? Just look at how many clanner lights were brought to tukkayid. It sicknening that one faction is given so many advantages shile the other side is forced to drive obsolete crap.

Actually, balance between IS and Clan is better than it's ever been before, and PGI continues to try and balance the two out. So don't think that Clans are OP from lack of effort to balance the. (We actually have people complaining that Clans have been nerfed to the ground... so there is always that to consider.)

As far as the Clans bringing more Light mechs over the IS is very possibly a show of the Clans having a forced lighter weight drop deck, preventing them from even bringing the same weight drop decks as the IS can. The IS have more tonnage they can bring to the fight in FP, and they typically do. If a Clan pilot wishes to bring in an Assault or two heavies, they are probably going to be forced to play a light mech of some kind for their drop deck.

Each faction has their strengths. IS has a lot of health quirks as well as better cooldown and durations on their weapons, meaning they tend to be better at a brawl. Clans have fewer quirks (do to better tech and mechs, that's the counter), which makes their mechs seem squishier than their IS counterparts (excluding XL engine differences). Their weapons tend to have better ranges and damage, but longer duration and longer cooldowns as well as higher heat levels. This leaves their strengths to lean more towards ranged engagements.

There are plenty if IS mechs that are really good to play. I do fairly well in my Crabs when my unit goes IS (which I know, doesn't take advantage of the IS's higher tonnage drop decks, but trust me you want me in medium mechs). The Cataphract (last I knew) had enough health quirks to make it as durable as an Assault class mech, and that is without any durability skills from the new skill system.

#4 Ade the Rare

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 186 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:46 PM

In June IS get a load more tech, so it might be worth popping back then.

Rotary AC2's and 5's, targeting computers, ER ML's and SL's, and most of all Light Fusion Engines (a sort of halfway house between a STD and a Clan XL) that can survive a ST loss.

It *should* even things out a bit more. My guess is they'll look at the inevitable balancing issues after that. Hell, they'll probably nerf IS, but you never know, there might be a sudden outbreak of common sense.

#5 Medicine Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 433 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:50 PM

Nothing can balance the xl engine bullcrap where IS mech just die but clan mechs take a slight debuff when an ST is destroyed. Im not even really talking about FPvs quick (clans should only be allowed 2 stars on the field to the IS 3 lances to reflect IS manpower and materiel superiority if FP.)
What Im talking about is how massively OP the clan light mechs are compared to IS light mechs. Clan lights have the firepower and endurance of IS mediums! Its so glaringly obvious. The clan lights are what made me quit the first time and one day back its about to again. Why play a game at such obvious disadvantage. Im really glad I played awhile before letting the new skill system talk me into buying some new mechs. Im just frustrated now. If id bought something Id.be  breathing fire.
I dont see any change at all from when i left. Clan lights were Op then and they still are.
Nothing can balance the xl engine bullcrap where IS mech just die but clan mechs take a slight debuff when an ST is destroyed. Im not even really talking about FPvs quick (clans should only be allowed 2 stars on the field to the IS 4 lances to reflect IS manpower and materiel superiority if FP.)
What Im talking about is how massively OP the clan light mechs are compared to IS light mechs. Clan lights have the firepower and endurance of IS mediums! Its so glaringly obvious. The clan lights are what made me quit the first time and one day back its about to again. Why play a game at such obvious disadvantage. Im really glad I played awhile before letting the new skill system talk me into buying some new mechs. Im just frustrated now. If id bought something Id.be  breathing fire.
I dont see any change at all from when i left. Clan lights were Op then and they still are.

Nothing can balance the xl engine bullcrap where IS mech just die but clan mechs take a slight debuff when an ST is destroyed. Im not even really talking about FPvs quick (clans should only be allowed 2 stars on the field to the IS 3 lances to reflect IS manpower and materiel superiority if FP.)

What Im talking about is how massively OP the clan light mechs are compared to IS light mechs. Clan lights have the firepower and endurance of IS mediums! Its so glaringly obvious. The clan lights are what made me quit the first time and one day back its about to again. Why play a game at such obvious disadvantage. Im really glad I played awhile before letting the new skill system talk me into buying some new mechs. Im just frustrated now. If id bought something Id.be breathing fire.

Edited by Medicine Man, 18 May 2017 - 10:50 PM.

#6 Medicine Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 433 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:56 PM

I dont think some new IS junk can fix this. All that stuff will cost tonnage and slots which IS is already majorly screwed on.

What really sucks about that is that clan isnt supposed to be this powerful. IS is supposed to be able to match their unit superiority with manpower. We re supposed to outnumber clan not 12 vs 12 them.

#7 Medicine Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 433 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:02 PM

I dont think some new IS junk can fix this. All that stuff will cost tonnage and slots which IS is already majorly screwed on.</p>
What really sucks about that is that clan isnt supposed to be this powerful. IS is supposed to be able to match their unit superiority with manpower. We re supposed to outnumber clan not 12 vs 12 them.
Can someone please explain how some small group of IS mechs getting magic quirks is a balance? What about the Is mechs with bogus or no quirks? They are all basically junk.

How does the cata having some quirks balance living through your Xl engine ST explosion and staying the fighr!

Edited by Medicine Man, 18 May 2017 - 11:06 PM.

#8 Medicine Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 433 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:06 PM

I dont think some new IS junk can fix this. All that stuff will cost tonnage and slots which IS is already majorly screwed on.

Can someone please explain how some small group of IS mechs getting magic quirks is a balance? What about the Is mechs with bogus or no quirks? They are all basically junk.

How does the cata having some quirks balance living through your Xl engine ST explosion and staying the fighr!?

Bah i cant do this fom my phone and im to annoyed to use my computer now. Just screw this!

#9 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:14 PM

View PostMedicine Man, on 18 May 2017 - 10:50 PM, said:

What Im talking about is how massively OP the clan light mechs are compared to IS light mechs. Clan lights have the firepower and endurance of IS mediums! Its so glaringly obvious. The clan lights are what made me quit the first time and one day back its about to again. Why play a game at such obvious disadvantage. Im really glad I played awhile before letting the new skill system talk me into buying some new mechs. Im just frustrated now. If id bought something Id.be breathing fire.
Nothing can balance the xl engine bullcrap where IS mech just die but clan mechs take a slight debuff when an ST is destroyed. Im not even really talking about FPvs quick (clans should only be allowed 2 stars on the field to the IS 4 lances to reflect IS manpower and materiel superiority if FP.)

First. If we really balanced Clan vs IS by number count, that would mess up every game mode besides FP (which could be separately rigged). If you keep all other game modes evenly balanced by numbers, than now you would once again give every clan player an advantage over any IS force, making it an arms race to see which team had the most clan tech on their side. As the current match maker system can't support uneven team numbers (without throwing all match maker out the window), this is impractical for balancing the overall game, as there is more to this game than FP (which is just one mode out of several). So 2 stars (ten mechs) vs three lances (twelve mechs) is not practical and not achievable within a reasonable match maker system.

Second. Even PGI says the Clan XL engine is a hard spot on balancing. They are still observing ways to compensate for that, within the rules of the Battletech universe. Realize where this game is based on, and that PGI has actually done a lot to try and keep the factions balanced. It's not perfect, but it isn't horrible either.

Third. Many clan light mechs are slow. You want fast you take the Jenner IIC, Arctic Cheetah or Mist Lynx. Of those, only two are decent. The Kit Fox and the Adder are much slower, but do pack more weaponry for that. Many IS light mechs have much more health over their Clan counterparts, as well as often times are set up with more speed. Many can even carry very similar weapon payloads (though Clans do tend to have harder punching weapons/lasers). The funny thing about this statement, the current "king" light mech I tend to see are the Locust, an IS mech for the record.

Fourth. Your gripe is with Clan light mechs? Here is a hint, shoot their legs out. A powerful XL engine that can survive a side torso lose is useless without legs... Take one leg and the light mech (Clan or IS) tend to be easy pickings from there. Now, if only you can convince your allies to also shoot for their legs, and you probably would see them die quickly. (Here is a hint, light mechs are one of the least played mechs in the game. Heavies are where the real popular mechs are, such as the Night Gyr, Timberwolf and Eban Jaguar.)

Depending upon "when you last played", there have actually probably been plenty of changes. You just aren't aware of them. Clan mechs now get a rather substantial loss to speed as well as a reasonable loss to cooling capabilities when they lose a side torso. Their DHS have also been reduced as well. Clans also have less health on their components (equipment such as those DHS, weapons, etc), meaning crits affect them more now. Many Clan mechs also still have locked equipment, such as APs, JJs and DHS. Not to mention the health buffs that IS mechs have, and some of the IS other quirks, such as range (which can compete with Clan ranges), heat gen and even some lingering weapon cooldown quirks may be around. (Not sure after the Skill Tree's release.)

However, I can't convince you to "enjoy" the game, and if you aren't having fun with the game when you are playing it, than I'm not going to try and convince you to stay and play a game you aren't enjoying. If you feel you need to take a break from it, by all means. But I've got a feeling you aren't really giving this much of a try if you just joined back after the Skill Tree's introduction... A lot of stuff just changed in the game...

Edit: Spelling. Always spelling... Always... Posted Image
Another Edit: Mind was working faster than my fingers at writing. Section in Italics was added in for clarity.
I really should go to bed... I'm going to bed now. Before I have to edit this again for another correction...

Edited by Tesunie, 18 May 2017 - 11:20 PM.

#10 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:19 PM

View PostThe Shortbus, on 18 May 2017 - 10:21 PM, said:

Dear Sir, look again .

Right now apex IS mechs outperform their clan counterparts .

Go ask the lovely people from EVIL and 420 .

Any good pilot will run a mech Clan or IS well.

The balance was good, until Skill Tree. It's totally unloaded the scales in many ways. Depends on where/mech/map now as to where the imbalance lies, but it's horrible right now with some of the builds you can do via S/T.

Then add in new tech next month or whatever, god help us.

IMO it'll be Sept-Oct before there is any semblance of parity across the board to what we've had say, the last 6 months... Which overall, has been reasonable save for a couple issues.

#11 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:26 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 18 May 2017 - 11:19 PM, said:

Any good pilot will run a mech Clan or IS well.

The balance was good, until Skill Tree. It's totally unloaded the scales in many ways. Depends on where/mech/map now as to where the imbalance lies, but it's horrible right now with some of the builds you can do via S/T.

Then add in new tech next month or whatever, god help us.

IMO it'll be Sept-Oct before there is any semblance of parity across the board to what we've had say, the last 6 months... Which overall, has been reasonable save for a couple issues.

Skill Tree did change a lot of things. I think it's good, but with anything good it can always use tweaks. It probably will be a couple of months before balance settles back in. Right now a lot of people are resettling in with the recent changes. Kinda was a shock to everyone's systems.

As for the past couple of months of balance... I can say that the PPC/Gauss meta was getting annoying, and kinda stale... I really wish Metas would stop settling in, though I know that wont happen as people always look for the best way to do something... I don't mind PPC/Gauss specifically... I'm just having some wishful thinking is all. (Don't mind me much. I just love variety and don't like it when things settle into "using one weapon/mechanic".)

#12 Fireeagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 416 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:29 PM

easy answer:

no

#13 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:15 AM

Dear boy get a grip on your self.
There are imbalances in terms of "what you can do best with mechs of faction X and Y".
IS Mechs have the better med and short range dps and Clans the better ppfld med and longrange capabilitys.
In FP invasion this a blatant advantage for clans. In scout not so much and in the non invasion (Assault, Dom, Skirmish) its pretty dependant on the map who has the advantage and even more if you have a half way sane and competent team of warriors.
The skill tree enlarged those differences by some magnitudes since there are more possible failures and advantages to achieve.
On both sides there are some mechs that got hillariously strong.
Others look strong but are not.
f.e.: Look at the Cataphract 3L...(sure the oldsters and pros will say "ewww Cataphract those things are sh.. anyway") when you look at the numbers you can make a heavy mech with over 115 CT and 75sides front armor going at 80kph carring an AC20+5medlasers and running still quiet and cool while beeing pretty nimble.
Sounds monstrous.
Well it is not since the hitboxes and hardpoints of the Cat are so fubar that no ammount of quirking or skilltree optimization will fix this.

Next examples would be Clan Gargoyle and Executioner.

There are mechs in the game that just do not work anymore because their geometry and weaponloadouts are so screwed up that you just can not get them on pair with other mechs just doing everything better.

There are imbalances but they are on individual and situational level.

And for Clan light mechs...there is exactly one usefull Clan light mech and that's the cheeta wich still seems so robust because you can fire at his feet and sometimes hit the sidetorsi.

Edited by The Basilisk, 19 May 2017 - 12:22 AM.

#14 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:55 AM

As for Clan Light Mechs outgunnung mediums, you have the Jenner IIC with upto a 72 point damage alpha strike, the problems with that are it has to seriously compromise on speed for its 6 SRM6s or compromise on firepower to move fast.
The Kit Fox and Adder can take a lot of firepower but realy they play like under tonned mediums.

The Arctic Cheetah is the "overpowered" Light Mech, but it's best loadout is 6 SPL+ECM. Hardly medium Mech level firepower, the 20 ton Locust can take a similar load out (albeit with lower damage due to IS tech SPL) the IS Mechs Jenner, Wolfhound and Firestarter can outclass it in speed and firepower.

Yes Clan stuff is better on paper and maybe 2-5% better ingame but piloting is far more important than tech base.

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:08 AM

Okay kid, first, relax a bit.

You'd be surprised. You might wanna try playing a Clan mech before you call it a slight debuff. The IS is getting an engine that also lets them die on the loss of two STs instead of one.

Clan equipment, unlike in the past, now has a proportionately less health for its smaller, lighter sizes. Many Clanners complain about their fragile weapons and equipment and frequent ammo explosions compared to the IS, so that lighter stuff comes at a cost.

Could more be done? Certainly.

However the general front loaded nature of the IS still provides the IS with a number of advantages. One of them includes the only reliable "one shot kills everyone" armament of twin AC/20s. Up close and personal, even before quirks, the IS could annihilate Clan mechs of equal, superior, or inferior size by simply standing toe to toe, face to face, and concentrating on the CT or pelvis. (The exception was fighting against the slow Dire Wolf; to beat that turtle you almost always have to come up from behind but sloooow as that thing is, that isn't really hard.)

Don't get me wrong, balance could be a lot better if PGI designed the entire game differently from the ground up. It's through a number of PGI's own made up rules (such as firing rates) that imbalances ever did exist at much greater extents than in Battletech. But even then, if you look over the IS and Clan stats prior to this patch (for their weapons)... you'll see that the IS had so damn many quirks going for them that the Clan baseline got buffed several times just to compete because of how terrible Clans were comparing, and how "out of the question" it had been to 'nerf' the IS quirks until this point.

#16 Medicine Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 433 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:09 AM

View PostTesunie, on 18 May 2017 - 11:14 PM, said:

First. If we really balanced Clan vs IS by number count, that would mess up every game mode besides FP (which could be separately rigged). If you keep all other game modes evenly balanced by numbers, than now you would once again give every clan player an advantage over any IS force, making it an arms race to see which team had the most clan tech on their side. As the current match maker system can't support uneven team numbers (without throwing all match maker out the window), this is impractical for balancing the overall game, as there is more to this game than FP (which is just one mode out of several). So 2 stars (ten mechs) vs three lances (twelve mechs) is not practical and not achievable within a reasonable match maker system.

Second. Even PGI says the Clan XL engine is a hard spot on balancing. They are still observing ways to compensate for that, within the rules of the Battletech universe. Realize where this game is based on, and that PGI has actually done a lot to try and keep the factions balanced. It's not perfect, but it isn't horrible either.

Third. Many clan light mechs are slow. You want fast you take the Jenner IIC, Arctic Cheetah or Mist Lynx. Of those, only two are decent. The Kit Fox and the Adder are much slower, but do pack more weaponry for that. Many IS light mechs have much more health over their Clan counterparts, as well as often times are set up with more speed. Many can even carry very similar weapon payloads (though Clans do tend to have harder punching weapons/lasers). The funny thing about this statement, the current "king" light mech I tend to see are the Locust, an IS mech for the record.

Fourth. Your gripe is with Clan light mechs? Here is a hint, shoot their legs out. A powerful XL engine that can survive a side torso lose is useless without legs... Take one leg and the light mech (Clan or IS) tend to be easy pickings from there. Now, if only you can convince your allies to also shoot for their legs, and you probably would see them die quickly. (Here is a hint, light mechs are one of the least played mechs in the game. Heavies are where the real popular mechs are, such as the Night Gyr, Timberwolf and Eban Jaguar.)

Depending upon "when you last played", there have actually probably been plenty of changes. You just aren't aware of them. Clan mechs now get a rather substantial loss to speed as well as a reasonable loss to cooling capabilities when they lose a side torso. Their DHS have also been reduced as well. Clans also have less health on their components (equipment such as those DHS, weapons, etc), meaning crits affect them more now. Many Clan mechs also still have locked equipment, such as APs, JJs and DHS. Not to mention the health buffs that IS mechs have, and some of the IS other quirks, such as range (which can compete with Clan ranges), heat gen and even some lingering weapon cooldown quirks may be around. (Not sure after the Skill Tree's release.)

However, I can't convince you to "enjoy" the game, and if you aren't having fun with the game when you are playing it, than I'm not going to try and convince you to stay and play a game you aren't enjoying. If you feel you need to take a break from it, by all means. But I've got a feeling you aren't really giving this much of a try if you just joined back after the Skill Tree's introduction... A lot of stuff just changed in the game...

Edit: Spelling. Always spelling... Always... Posted Image
Another Edit: Mind was working faster than my fingers at writing. Section in Italics was added in for clarity.
I really should go to bed... I'm going to bed now. Before I have to edit this again for another correction...

I've been gone for years dude. I pretty much quit right when the clans were released because their blatant overpoweredness combined with PGI selling individual chassis looked to me like they were being pretty pay to win. And this isn't the only area of the game where that accusation is warranted. All that time and they still haven't balanced the clan XL tells me they are never going to. The fact is that for MWO clan mechs should never have been a part of it at all because they CANNOT be balanced. They are meant to be unbalanced but that is because they are meant to be outnumbered in the table top game. The whole purpose of the batch call was to ensure this.

The clan lights do not seem slow to me at all. Their combination of durability (free cheater XL), heat management (free double heatsinks,) firepower (extremely light, high damage weapons with low slot costs for multiple-stacking,) super speed, tiny stature which a lot of larger mechs torso mounted weapons can barely even hit regularly on because the damned mechs won't bend over enough, makes them completely OVERPOWERED.

I really don't even mind the larger clan mechs. Because mostly my weapons hit them. Even if I can't solo one down I'll certainly do enough damage to him that the next guy he runs into will finish him off. But it's not like that with the lights. They are so fast, so durable and mostly impervious to weaponry at extremely short range that the pilots don't even play conservatively. They just charge right into the fight knowing their superior mech is going to carry them through it. I've watched it happen in battle after battle. The psychology and behavior of the pilots tells you everything.

As it is I'm not going back to deal with the artic cheater. Maybe the solution to all of this is to have an IS combat league. Like before PGI ruined this game bringing clan in and screwing up the implementation. I can't believe I wasted 60 bucks on this game as a founder.

I know you guys dont want some old dude coming back and slagging the game but this balance problem is really bad and the clan lights are macking on it so much that it's like all my old mechs are just useless. I think this is a planned obsolescence that the greedy talent-less dorks at PGI are using to try and sell more mech chassis to whales. Until clan is balanced that is how I'm always gonna see it. It was a really big mistake for me to come back here. Mostly I only did it to see if PGI had gotten their act together to find out if MW5 might be worth trying.

As of now it is not. God I miss MW4 and I wish that Russ Bollocks had never been born.

Edited by Medicine Man, 19 May 2017 - 06:17 AM.

#17 Medicine Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 433 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:16 AM

View PostKoniving, on 19 May 2017 - 06:08 AM, said:

Okay kid, first, relax a bit.

You'd be surprised. You might wanna try playing a Clan mech before you call it a slight debuff. The IS is getting an engine that also lets them die on the loss of two STs instead of one.

Clan equipment, unlike in the past, now has a proportionately less health for its smaller, lighter sizes. Many Clanners complain about their fragile weapons and equipment and frequent ammo explosions compared to the IS, so that lighter stuff comes at a cost.

Could more be done? Certainly.

However the general front loaded nature of the IS still provides the IS with a number of advantages. One of them includes the only reliable "one shot kills everyone" armament of twin AC/20s. Up close and personal, even before quirks, the IS could annihilate Clan mechs of equal, superior, or inferior size by simply standing toe to toe, face to face, and concentrating on the CT or pelvis. (The exception was fighting against the slow Dire Wolf; to beat that turtle you almost always have to come up from behind but sloooow as that thing is, that isn't really hard.)

Don't get me wrong, balance could be a lot better if PGI designed the entire game differently from the ground up. It's through a number of PGI's own made up rules (such as firing rates) that imbalances ever did exist at much greater extents than in Battletech. But even then, if you look over the IS and Clan stats prior to this patch (for their weapons)... you'll see that the IS had so damn many quirks going for them that the Clan baseline got buffed several times just to compete because of how terrible Clans were comparing, and how "out of the question" it had been to 'nerf' the IS quirks until this point.

You make some good points. But the reality is a lot less complex than you are making it. On paper advantages don't mean anything for the light mechs because of their speed and immunity to close range torso weapons. Ultimately that is the real reason for the overpoweredness.

I don't fear or even care about any of the other types of clan mechs. Sure they can kill me sometimes but I get them too so it doesn't feel so bad. But as of now the moment I see a clan light mech on me I might as well just eject or close the game client. Their mobility, durability, firepower and low stature make them almost unbeatable at close range and that's not how it is supposed to be. A light mech pilot should be hitting and running. He shouldn't be able to engage an assault mech, wedge himself up against it and then start blasting. If anything else my heavier much should push his out of the way and do tonnage based ramming damage to it but that doesn't seem to be happening at all. In fact they can just jam their engines full throttle wedged up against me and take no damage at all from it that I can tell.

#18 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:16 AM

Here's my mech count. + 3 IS lights as of this patch (so it's now 32 IS Lights).
29 IS lights
53 IS Mediums
48 IS Heavies
37 IS Assaults
16 Clan lights
19 Clan mediums
18 Clan heavies
20 Clan assaults

Trust me, I get around and I've tried them all. Before the quirks, I felt the IS was superior so long as they could get within range.
After the quirks... it was just absolute ********, the IS was blatantly superior unless you were using some of the not-so-well-thought-out mechs (that COULD have been great if we had a sized hardpoint system; but arbitrary engine caps and low hardpoint counts when the big guns aren't really big guns does no good).

Now I'm on the fence. The Clans got a lot more fragile, sure, but now the quirk field is a bit more even. Percentages lean in favor of the fragile, docile Clans and their dotting trash buckets and now they seem to have a chance against me and my joke builds. That's almost terrifying. A chance against my 89 ton Atlas joke build? Them actually having a chance against the Salt and Pepper Stalker? Playing as a Locust, and a Myst Lynx actually lasted more than 5 seconds against my ultimate machine guns of doom?

It's almost unheard of. The Clans actually being able to put up a fight against my anti-meta IS builds such as the forever-cold Dragon, or the never-overheat twin LL, twin ER LL single heatsink Atlas of doom...

Things just might get interesting.
Lets see if a Timber Wolf has a chance against my Quickdraw IV's twin AC/10s and LL...

#19 Medicine Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 433 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:19 AM

View PostKoniving, on 19 May 2017 - 06:16 AM, said:

Here's my mech count. + 3 IS lights as of this patch (so it's now 32 IS Lights).
29 IS lights
53 IS Mediums
48 IS Heavies
37 IS Assaults
16 Clan lights
19 Clan mediums
18 Clan heavies
20 Clan assaults

Trust me, I get around and I've tried them all. Before the quirks, I felt the IS was superior so long as they could get within range.
After the quirks... it was just absolute ********, the IS was blatantly superior unless you were using some of the not-so-well-thought-out mechs (that COULD have been great if we had a sized hardpoint system; but arbitrary engine caps and low hardpoint counts when the big guns aren't really big guns does no good).

Now I'm on the fence. The Clans got a lot more fragile, sure, but now the quirk field is a bit more even. Percentages lean in favor of the fragile, docile Clans and their dotting trash buckets and now they seem to have a chance against me and my joke builds. That's almost terrifying. A chance against my 89 ton Atlas joke build? Them actually having a chance against the Salt and Pepper Stalker? Playing as a Locust, and a Myst Lynx actually lasted more than 5 seconds against my ultimate machine guns of doom?

It's almost unheard of. The Clans actually being able to put up a fight against my anti-meta IS builds such as the forever-cold Dragon, or the never-overheat twin LL, twin ER LL single heatsink Atlas of doom...

Things just might get interesting.
Lets see if a Timber Wolf has a chance against my Quickdraw IV's twin AC/10s and LL...

You've bought that many mechs?

You sir, are what is wrong with this game. People like you are making PGI just be chassis vendors instead of mechwarrior game makers.

#20 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:22 AM

View PostMedicine Man, on 19 May 2017 - 06:16 AM, said:

You make some good points. But the reality is a lot less complex than you are making it. On paper advantages don't mean anything for the light mechs because of their speed and immunity to close range torso weapons. Ultimately that is the real reason for the overpoweredness.

I don't fear or even care about any of the other types of clan mechs. Sure they can kill me sometimes but I get them too so it doesn't feel so bad. But as of now the moment I see a clan light mech on me I might as well just eject or close the game client. Their mobility, durability, firepower and low stature make them almost unbeatable at close range and that's not how it is supposed to be. A light mech pilot should be hitting and running. He shouldn't be able to engage an assault mech, wedge himself up against it and then start blasting. If anything else my heavier much should push his out of the way and do tonnage based ramming damage to it but that doesn't seem to be happening at all. In fact they can just jam their engines full throttle wedged up against me and take no damage at all from it that I can tell.

If the trouble is just the Clan light (which I'm assuming is the Arctic Cheetah, the only Clan Light that could trouble any player beyond being a joke), then the solution depends on your weapons. If you have Streaks, just laugh and Streak away (carry a BAP and despite being Streaks, equip Artemis; it gives 25% faster locks despite the fact it isn't supposed to). If you have ACs or PPCs it'll be a bit trickier. Your best bet is Pulse Lasers or SRMs for the most effective counter measure.

Regardless of what you use, remain calm and go for a leg. Sometimes they will turn around and bolt for the high hills once they realize you've focused their legs. Sometimes they will be stupid and keep fighting. Once that leg is gone, fry the other leg, laugh and T-bag their corpse by shutting down and powering up repeatedly. Eezy Pezy.

If another Clanner gives you trouble, just come back to old Koniving and I'll show you how to make a laughing stock of their pathetic, inferior mechs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users