New Arm Sensitivity Is Way Too High

26 replies to this topic

#1 ScrubLord1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:13 AM

Is anyone else's aim being adversely affected by the new arms sensitivity? My gameplay has been thrown completely off since the patch release, at first I thought I was having trouble adjusting to how mechs handle differently now, but now I realised the arms speed affects reticule sensitivity and it has been ramped up so high I'm having trouble aiming.

Here's the bigger issue, I've a 2000 DPI mouse and before the patch, an in-game sensitivity of 0.13 was perfect for my aim and performing torso twisting. Now, I've tried reducing it to the lowest possible setting of 0.1, and it is still to high for me. To compound matters, having to go to lower sensitivity to accommodate the new arm speed makes torso twisting extremely awkward as my desktop table has limited space for a big mousepad to perform wide horizontal motions.

Don't ask me to upgrade my table. This setup has served me well for years on all the games I played, as well as MWO before this new arms sensitivity. Now I'm even considering having to buy a new mouse with a lower DPI, just to continue to play this game which frankly is a waste of money when arms sensitivity value is the real issue.

Is the new arms sens causing anyone else gameplay troubles as well?

Edited by ScrubLord1, 25 May 2017 - 09:17 AM.

#2 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:00 AM

2000 DPS is incredibly high. But there are some players that use this DPI. I took a survey of competitive players' mouse sensitivies here:

https://docs.google....tMXo/edit#gid=0

eDPI is what you want to look at, it is your mouse DPI multiplied by your in-game sensitivity, and it is what determines your actual sensitivity (which can be measured in how many centimeters travel it takes you to twist 180 degrees in game - games other than MWO use 360 degrees instead)

Your eDPI is between 200 and 260, which is pretty normal, so you shouldn't have any problems aiming and playing with those settings, so it's all about personal taste (how much you aim with your fingers, wrist, lower arm, upper arm). If you want to lower your sensitivity, you'll have to lower your mouse DPI. What mouse do you have? You might have a button on it that toggles DPI modes, or you might have software that allows you to adjust the DPI.

For what it's worth, I've noticed no change in sensitivity with the patch myself.

View PostScrubLord1, on 25 May 2017 - 09:13 AM, said:

Don't ask me to upgrade my table. This setup has served me well for years on all the games I played

At 120 eDPI I use 40-60cm of space. Just for visual reference, this is definitely not enough room for me, random image pulled from google:

Spoiler

If you don't have at least 40cm, you might want to look into some solutions. Torso twisting does take a LOT of room. I aim mostly with my fingers, but when torso twisting I can sometimes even use my entire arm up to the shoulders.

Edited by Tarogato, 25 May 2017 - 10:03 AM.

#3 SFC174

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 695 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:14 AM

Interesting. I hadn't really noticed any issues like this till I took out my 2xERLL Urbie for a test. For some reason it felt like my sensitivity was jacked through the roof (especially using advanced zoom). I had played this mech plenty before the patch with no issues and I made no setup changes post-patch. No other mech I've played since the patch (HMN, MAD-IIC, HBR, ACH) has had this issue though, but all but the MAD-IIC are short range builds anyways.

Looking forward to hearing if anyone else has experienced anything unusual.

#4 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:27 AM

I am having the opposite problem. 1800 DPI and 0.19 sensitivity, MLX arms not quite as pointable as they ought to be, always coming up slightly short on target.

#5 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:50 AM

Noobs! Use a trackball and forget about desk space. Posted Image

<Or better yet, use a joystick>

Edited by Mystere, 25 May 2017 - 10:50 AM.

#6 Gamuray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 866 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 02:08 PM

I noticed an increase when I had the mobility tree unlocked on mechs.. maybe the arm movement boost is higher than before?

View PostMystere, on 25 May 2017 - 10:50 AM, said:

Explain the benefit of a trackball... I have an optical gaming mouse and can operate everything on a standard size mouse pad... If you cant twist enough just lift a bit and move back to the other side of the pad. Posted Image Works for me just fine.

#7 Dr Mlem

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 239 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 02:25 PM

View PostGamuray, on 25 May 2017 - 02:08 PM, said:

Explain the benefit of a trackball... I have an optical gaming mouse and can operate everything on a standard size mouse pad... If you cant twist enough just lift a bit and move back to the other side of the pad. Posted Image Works for me just fine.

Posted Image

#8 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:06 PM

View PostTarogato, on 25 May 2017 - 10:00 AM, said:

If you don't have at least 40cm, you might want to look into some solutions. Torso twisting does take a LOT of room. I aim mostly with my fingers, but when torso twisting I can sometimes even use my entire arm up to the shoulders.

FWIW this is why I keep my DPI at 5500 DPI (3440x1440) and press DPI shift for when I aim/fire (500 DPI) and why I have arm lock off.

With a very high DPI and arm lock off, it only takes a flick of the wrist to start the torso twisting mechanism and then the rest just takes care of itself.

The more sluggish mechs in the game need a bit more effort, but overall this has worked for me for 2+ years.

Edited by Ultimax, 25 May 2017 - 03:06 PM.

#9 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:56 PM

View PostGamuray, on 25 May 2017 - 02:08 PM, said:

With a trackball, only my fingers move and not my entire hand or wrist. As an added bonus, I have very adept thumbs, Posted Image

View PostLazy Badger, on 25 May 2017 - 02:25 PM, said:

Posted Image

I was actually serious. I use trackballs and have never played a game with a mouse.

#10 ScrubLord1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:38 PM

View PostTarogato, on 25 May 2017 - 10:00 AM, said:

2000 DPS is incredibly high. But there are some players that use this DPI. I took a survey of competitive players' mouse sensitivies here:

https://docs.google....tMXo/edit#gid=0

eDPI is what you want to look at, it is your mouse DPI multiplied by your in-game sensitivity, and it is what determines your actual sensitivity (which can be measured in how many centimeters travel it takes you to twist 180 degrees in game - games other than MWO use 360 degrees instead)

Your eDPI is between 200 and 260, which is pretty normal, so you shouldn't have any problems aiming and playing with those settings, so it's all about personal taste (how much you aim with your fingers, wrist, lower arm, upper arm). If you want to lower your sensitivity, you'll have to lower your mouse DPI. What mouse do you have? You might have a button on it that toggles DPI modes, or you might have software that allows you to adjust the DPI.

For what it's worth, I've noticed no change in sensitivity with the patch myself.

At 120 eDPI I use 40-60cm of space. Just for visual reference, this is definitely not enough room for me, random image pulled from google:

Spoiler

Appreciate your detailed response.

I use a PowerLogic X-Craft 2000. Its an entry-level gaming mouse but its features have been sufficient for personal gaming needs. DPI switch only allows up-switching to 3200 DPI. It doesnt have software to customize DPI settings.

2000 DPI is high, that's why I use low in-game sensitivity which balances out.

The main point here is, with the old arms sensitivity values I never had a problem playing MWO, and those values already made arms movement responsive enough. Now the new patch overtuned the movement values, and I have to consider getting a new mouse, desktop table, smaller keyboard and bigger mousepad, to adjust to that..?

This adds up to over a $300 financial commitment for me. If it were a hardware specs issue like ram shortage or outdated graphics, I would understand, but to spend $300 because some in-game values were overtuned.. I hope I'm not the only one thinking this is rather absurd when they can simply just bring back the arms sensitivity to pre-patch levels.

Edited by ScrubLord1, 25 May 2017 - 08:40 PM.

#11 Radkres

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:42 PM

is it possible that some of the mechs have an arm quirks still active from before the tree? Posted Image

#12 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:43 PM

I don't think arm quirks were a thing at all.

#13 Radkres

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:55 PM

is it possible then that it is a mobility bug of some kind as pgi has done before by leaving test data in the live patch?

#14 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:57 PM

View PostRadkres, on 25 May 2017 - 08:55 PM, said:

is it possible then that it is a mobility bug of some kind as pgi has done before by leaving test data in the live patch?

It is possible that they tied arm speed to torso speed nodes (and arm pitch/yaw to torso pitch/yaw) and that the total value exceeds what you could previously get in the old system, but I don't know. I don't think it's a bug.

#15 Radkres

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:12 PM

Well it would explain the arm nodes that people's hatred got hidden inside those other nodes.

The other thing is it just a few mechs or is it weight specific?

#16 Humpday

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:29 PM

Interesting, I play with a logitec g502 and constantly switch speeds in the fly though usually i'll stick it at 3200 dpi and 1200 for shift. I'm not sure if these metrics are universal, at 1200 DPI the cursor barely moves anywhere strange how those setting are so low if i set this thing into 200-300 i'll have to move my arm across the desk just to twist.

In game i turn off all artificial acceleration which i think the lowest is .1

https://imgur.com/yT1aV5J

edit: oops, nevermind was looking at edpi.

Hmm, i'm going to try playing at 1200 dpi now...see if i can get used to it.

Edited by Humpday, 25 May 2017 - 09:33 PM.

#17 Lorcryst NySell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 533 posts
  • LocationBetween Chair and Keyboard

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:53 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 25 May 2017 - 08:57 PM, said:

It is possible that they tied arm speed to torso speed nodes (and arm pitch/yaw to torso pitch/yaw) and that the total value exceeds what you could previously get in the old system, but I don't know. I don't think it's a bug.

I did note an increase in arm speed after unlocking a Torso Speed node ... I'm trying them one by one, playing a couple of matches between each node unlock, to test things out.

Another thing I noticed is that it seems that most of the old "agility bonuses" are now tied to the weight class, tonnage of the 'Mech and specific chassis. My Hunchbacks without skills have a slightly faster arm and torso movement that my Griffins, for example.

This needs further testing.

Edited by Lorcryst NySell, 25 May 2017 - 10:54 PM.

#18 Kubernetes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:34 PM

Could be that torso twist speed is so nerfed that arm speed seems much faster. I've noticed that laser vomit builds with split torso/arm weapons and lower arm actuators require a lot more care to reduce spread. I generally don't use armlock, so it's pretty noticeable to me.

#19 ScrubLord1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 101 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:11 AM

View PostRadkres, on 25 May 2017 - 08:55 PM, said:

Its not a bug. Neither is it tied to torso speed nodes. They flat out raised the arm speed on most mechs with the engine desync pass. All the new values are shown in the quirks pdf from the patch notes.

View PostKubernetes, on 25 May 2017 - 11:34 PM, said:

Could be that torso twist speed is so nerfed that arm speed seems much faster.

No, its not a relative motion thing. The circle reticule that represents arm aim is just so much more sensitive now.My 2000 DPI probably amplifies it many times more which is why I can feel it so clearly. My DPI is fixed, the only adjustable meter is the in-game sens setting but now its insufficient to accommodate high DPI mouses.

Edited by ScrubLord1, 26 May 2017 - 12:14 AM.

#20 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:20 AM

I noticed that arms seem to be overly sensitve, but I couldn't say if it was due to the patch or it was always that way. I've only re-started playing the game a few weeks ago.

Maybe something to look into it for PGI.

View PostMystere, on 25 May 2017 - 10:50 AM, said:

I thought the Steering Wheel was the non-plus ultra of mech gaming?

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users