Steam Users And The Skill Tree

72 replies to this topic

#21 Mister Glitchdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 431 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:01 AM

View PostMappingway, on 25 May 2017 - 11:18 PM, said:

I own nearly every clan mech, minus the useless myst lynx, and I had at least 1 variant of each mech outfited with all the modules I needed.

And the truth comes out. This thread has little to do with Steam users or their opinions. I'm sorry the ST robbed you of your pristinely-elited collection. I'm sorry about the "click burden" you labor under these days rofl. No matter what PGI did, someone was bound to be unhappy. Play the game long enough and it will eventually be your turn in the barrel. Posted Image

As for me, I play through Steam, like the ST, and didn't even know there was some kind of game-rating system in the app. Guess I've been too busy playing.

Better go find out where to cast my vote, brb..

#22 Mappingway

• Pip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:09 AM

View PostJames The Fox Dixon, on 25 May 2017 - 11:45 PM, said:

And that makes you not the average player. I did spend money if you hadn't noticed. Do you the see medallion under my title Overlord? I bought the Overlord pack for the Phoenix Package way back when it was announced.

Now for further demonstration on how far removed you are from casuals. Your average casual player has roughly two hours a day to spend playing a game. Due to real life they can maybe play 4 days out of the week if they're lucky. Taking the aforementioned numbers of 65-75 hours to be able to use the advanced zoom module that equates to 8.125-9.375 weeks to achieve it. Not very new player friendly is it? This is why the server pops are low today because of this time sink to earn the money enough to buy everything needed to use the modules. I haven't even included the time required to earn the millions of cbills needed to customize the mech either. For a good customized mech, you're looking at about 5-12 million on top of the cost for a good sniper mech chassis. Again, this increases the time needed to be able to use a gameplay feature. That is not good game design and PGI knew it back during CB. This is why they promised to change it to what we have now.

Leaderboards mean nothing as does your pathetic attempts to demean me. Stop stalking and harassing me.

You seem adamant in defending the casuals, which, and, correct me if I may be wrong, as I'm sure you will, consists of steam users. Well, the steam page has drastically changed in rating since the release of the skill tree.... Seems they agree with me....

View PostMister Glitchdragon, on 26 May 2017 - 12:01 AM, said:

And the truth comes out. This thread has little to do with Steam users or their opinions. I'm sorry the ST robbed you of your pristinely-elited collection. I'm sorry about the "click burden" you labor under these days rofl. No matter what PGI did, someone was bound to be unhappy. Play the game long enough and it will eventually be your turn in the barrel. Posted Image

As for me, I play through Steam, like the ST, and didn't even know there was some kind of game-rating system in the app. Guess I've been too busy playing.

Better go find out where to cast my vote, brb..

Truth? What truth? That getting the cbills needed was easily possible before the skill tree? Oh and you didn't know there was a review system in steam? Wow.... Where have you been?

#23 Chound

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 300 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:12 AM

View PostMappingway, on 25 May 2017 - 10:18 PM, said:

Improvement? Rofl, git gud. Maybe if PGI made the skill tree unlimited, IE, I take the time to get all the skill nodes, I can have all the skill nodes active at once.

sorry but the maximum number of skill nodes active is 91. you can buy more nodes but then you would need more XP to pay the respec fee.

#24 Mappingway

• Pip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:12 AM

Jim Sterling would be most upset.

#25 Chound

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 300 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:18 AM

View PostWil McCullough, on 25 May 2017 - 10:37 PM, said:

When pgi relies on these "steam troglodytes" for a significant segment of exposure and revenue, it actually is in their best interest to do something instead of ignoring it.

Considering pgi doesnt really do visibility ads for mwo, steam users are kinda mwo's influx of new blood. Ignore negative feedback on steam at your own peril.

I'm enjoying the new skill tree and am not in the "revert to.old system or riot" group. But when the new skill tree causes such a ruckus on a large platform like steam, maybe some emergency meetings in russ's office are in order.

eliminating the rule of three is a big help tp players like myself because I can't afford to buy a bunch of mechs. I'm disappointed because the skill tree isn't exactly what I expected but It is a good start and it can be adjusted. They need to ditch the idea of gatekeeper nodes for the more popular items and just let us use sometng like the old weapons or pilot skills format.

#26 James The Fox Dixon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Indi

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:20 AM

View PostWil McCullough, on 25 May 2017 - 11:56 PM, said:

leaderboards track every single game of every single player who played any game during that time frame. recently, pgi changed the requirements though. you now have to play a minimum of 10 games to be on the leaderboards. it's been that way since season 9(?).

it's also publicly accessible. by showing N/A on all 11 leaderboards, it essentially tells anyone that you literally have not played a game of mwo for like 5 years. which makes you absolutely unqualified to participate in any discussion regarding balance or features.

i'm not stalking you btw. you're not that famous and i actually don't know you from squat.

you just seem to be commenting in a lot of topics that catch my eye, and most, if not all of the time, i see you trying to debate about the game even though it's publicly available that you actually... don't play it. which is hilarious and worth pointing out.

And I don't care about the leaderboards. You seem to forget that I've told you before I just came back to the game last week. Yeah, I'm really busy in real life so I'm soo sorry that I haven't gotten on your wittle precious weaderboards that measures your e-peen. Oh I have more then 10 matches now anyway and it doesn't indicate any skill in teamwork. It never has. When they introduced KDR and the other stats the majority of the testers said it didn't really help in determining skill. Those posts are archived by the way and accessible. You seem to think that today is the only thing that matters when the past is equally important.

You know why I comment on topics? Because I can and I give my observations. I even commented a lot back when I was in CB/OB and you can check my post history since it's all there.

#27 Wil McCullough

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:22 AM

View PostChound, on 26 May 2017 - 12:18 AM, said:

eliminating the rule of three is a big help tp players like myself because I can't afford to buy a bunch of mechs. I'm disappointed because the skill tree isn't exactly what I expected but It is a good start and it can be adjusted. They need to ditch the idea of gatekeeper nodes for the more popular items and just let us use sometng like the old weapons or pilot skills format.

i think the skill tree is definitely better than the old "rule of 3" too. it's still not very well designed though it is A LOT better than its original iteration in the pts.

my biggest issue with the current st is that node values are too miniscule to have much effect unless taken in bulk. which is also kinda bad for experimentation and custom builds.

#28 James The Fox Dixon

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Indi

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:23 AM

View PostMappingway, on 26 May 2017 - 12:09 AM, said:

You seem adamant in defending the casuals, which, and, correct me if I may be wrong, as I'm sure you will, consists of steam users. Well, the steam page has drastically changed in rating since the release of the skill tree.... Seems they agree with me....

Truth? What truth? That getting the cbills needed was easily possible before the skill tree? Oh and you didn't know there was a review system in steam? Wow.... Where have you been?

Like any forum, the vocal minority makes their voices heard while the silent majority leaves no comment. That's the nature of life. You are in the vocal minority. Now if this vocal minority told you to kill yourself because it leads you to bliss and harmony would you? I wouldn't because I can think for myself.

Oh, if you don't get casuals in to play and hook them into your game then you lose money in the long term while suffering lower server populations. I can easily point to this fact as the history of this game bears it out. Low server population.

#29 Chound

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 300 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:32 AM

View PostMappingway, on 25 May 2017 - 11:02 PM, said:

You failed to note the fact I said the old system wasn't perfect. Yes, the old system needing 3 mechs to reach elite tier skills was lame, but again, that could have been implemented without this restrictive skill tree. I seriously have to use 3 whole skill points just to unlock adv zoom when I could simply buy a module before, which makes a whole lot more sense? Rofl.

no it's not that simple. to get advanced zoom you need to spend 10k gxp to unloick the module, in weapons skills, THEN you can buy the module. It takes 5 skiill points to get advanced zoom. advanced zoom is one node but you need to buy 4 other notdes to get to them. you would have to master the entire mech to get the speed tweak. Under the new system you can get the speed tweak without mastering the mech. and getting all that XP 43 nodes creates the equivalent of a mastered mech in the old system and the rest would be under weapons and pilot skills The new skill tree needs some tweaking but it's easier for a new person to use,

#30 Wil McCullough

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:34 AM

View PostJames The Fox Dixon, on 26 May 2017 - 12:20 AM, said:

And I don't care about the leaderboards. You seem to forget that I've told you before I just came back to the game last week. Yeah, I'm really busy in real life so I'm soo sorry that I haven't gotten on your wittle precious weaderboards that measures your e-peen. Oh I have more then 10 matches now anyway and it doesn't indicate any skill in teamwork. It never has. When they introduced KDR and the other stats the majority of the testers said it didn't really help in determining skill. Those posts are archived by the way and accessible. You seem to think that today is the only thing that matters when the past is equally important.

You know why I comment on topics? Because I can and I give my observations. I even commented a lot back when I was in CB/OB and you can check my post history since it's all there.

leaderboards are a good way to actually give you an idea of how qualified a player's opinion is on current game balance. especially when you check it, and realize the person has literally only played 15 games over the last 5 years.

you've been absent from the game so long you didn't even know pgi tracks the stats of every player and made them publicly available for viewing.

you're the one trying to push your opinions on a game you haven't touched in 5 years and you talk about epeen. lol.

yes, you are free to comment in any topic you wish. as am i. the same freedom you have to comment also gives me the right to point out how your complete lack of games played makes your comments distinctly unqualified in discussions of game features and balance.

isn't freedom grand?

btw, i noticed you stalked my profile. pretty ironic considering you accused me of stalking you lol.

#31 Chound

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 300 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:37 AM

View PostJames The Fox Dixon, on 25 May 2017 - 11:10 PM, said:

You are failing to account for the advanced zoom module cost 10 million c-bills plus the 5-12 million c-bills on top of that to get a proper sniper mech to use it in. Now, you had to master 3 mech variants to be able to unlock advanced zoom. This means that now you are looking at 10 million+20-48 million=30-58 million c-bills just to buy everything you need to earn the XP to unlock it and use it. Average match rewards are about 75k-150k, so you're looking roughly 390-450 matches. With an average match lasting 10 minutes that equates to 65-75 hours of playtime. Which makes more sense; no mech variants and modules to buy and use the XP you accrue in one quarter of the time or where you have to grind for 65-75 hours to be able to use the modules? Seems to me that it's the first one that makes sense.

advanced zoom is a pilot skill unlocked with pilot skills and not part of the mastery process

#32 Chound

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 300 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:43 AM

View PostJames The Fox Dixon, on 25 May 2017 - 11:24 PM, said:

Cbills is an issue for most players that haven't played it before or they are old vets like me that got hosed in CB due to repair and rearm mechanics. Under R & R, any missile pilot would go into the red regardless of a win or a loss due to the costs of ammo.

Posted Image

Argue all you like but logically the new way is a big improvement over the old way.

Yes, they did fix the old system by giving us the new system we have now. I remember very clearly during CB/OB that they would be revamping the skills and how it was done because the majority of the playtesters said the exact same thing I did. It's not easy for new players and puts an artificial time sink and a gate on them.

I noticed that you are intentionally ignoring the time needed to get the money for the modules and mechs under the old system for most new players. Yup, it's nice to argue when you ignore the foundation of what your opponent said.

try posting an image for the correct game. I don't recognize the screen you posted. It's not from the old system and there was no repair and rearm cost in the laterst versions of MWO.

#33 Chound

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 300 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:55 AM

View PostMappingway, on 26 May 2017 - 12:09 AM, said:

I consider myself casual haven't been playing for a year yet and I use the stand alone client. I found MWO from a google search. Getting both C bills and XP are a struggle. I need to work on my skills and spend some time in group but due to time zone problems a lot of time in te pug queue.

#34 James The Fox Dixon

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Indi

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:08 AM

View PostChound, on 26 May 2017 - 12:43 AM, said:

try posting an image for the correct game. I don't recognize the screen you posted. It's not from the old system and there was no repair and rearm cost in the laterst versions of MWO.

It is the correct game. That screenshot is from MWO CB when there was repair and rearm. Those mechanics didn't survive CB fortunately. You might want to check the archives of Open Beta to see that this occurred in CB. :lol:

I used it to highlight the point that due to prior iterations of MWO hurt players when it came to earnings. That's it.

#35 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:09 AM

View PostMappingway, on 25 May 2017 - 10:27 PM, said:

The tree is ****, 70% agree, get over it.

And what is the percentage chance that you pulled that number out of your butt?

#36 James The Fox Dixon

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Indi

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:10 AM

View PostWil McCullough, on 26 May 2017 - 12:34 AM, said:

leaderboards are a good way to actually give you an idea of how qualified a player's opinion is on current game balance. especially when you check it, and realize the person has literally only played 15 games over the last 5 years.

you've been absent from the game so long you didn't even know pgi tracks the stats of every player and made them publicly available for viewing.

you're the one trying to push your opinions on a game you haven't touched in 5 years and you talk about epeen. lol.

yes, you are free to comment in any topic you wish. as am i. the same freedom you have to comment also gives me the right to point out how your complete lack of games played makes your comments distinctly unqualified in discussions of game features and balance.

isn't freedom grand?

btw, i noticed you stalked my profile. pretty ironic considering you accused me of stalking you lol.

Nope, because the current meta is the same as it was 5 years ago. The same group of people are still whining about the same issues then as they are now.

No, I was looking for a way to block you so I would never see another post of yours again. That is the only reason why I went to your profile.

#37 BumbleBee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 527 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:21 AM

Actually that is a screenshot from Closed Beta. R&R was a thing early on, and that is indeed MWO. Pic is legit.

EDIT:
This is what happens when you open multiple topics to read and you get to this topic last...

Edited by BumbleBee, 26 May 2017 - 01:23 AM.

#38 Wil McCullough

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:22 AM

View PostJames The Fox Dixon, on 26 May 2017 - 01:10 AM, said:

Nope, because the current meta is the same as it was 5 years ago.

please feel free to show everyone how ac40 jagers, lurm heavy rain catapults with 17t of ammo, ssrm ravens and zombie centurions are still the meta now.

brb. getting the popcorn.

#39 James The Fox Dixon

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Indi

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:24 AM

View PostWil McCullough, on 26 May 2017 - 01:22 AM, said:

please feel free to show everyone how ac40 jagers, lurm heavy rain catapults with 17t of ammo, ssrm ravens and zombie centurions are still the meta now.

brb. getting the popcorn.

I don't have to show anyone anything. That's the beauty of it since it's your position so you have to defend it. The meta is cyclic and the history of this game shows it. It's all archived here on the forums, except for the CB posts. Once CB ended, PGI nuked the forums.

#40 James The Fox Dixon

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Indi

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:27 AM

View PostBumbleBee, on 26 May 2017 - 01:21 AM, said:

Actually that is a screenshot from Closed Beta. R&R was a thing early on, and that is indeed MWO. Pic is legit.

EDIT:
This is what happens when you open multiple topics to read and you get to this topic last...

Yup, but it happens. Posted Image

I think it was hilarious when he didn't recognize the Catapult cockpit, fonts, or other assets PGI still uses in the screenshot. Posted Image

Edited by James The Fox Dixon, 26 May 2017 - 01:27 AM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users