72 replies to this topic

#41 SteelMantis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 179 posts
  • Locationon the shifting sands of the meta

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:27 AM

Hmm, the Steam review is still Mostly Positive overall with 4,069 total reviews and only gets a Mixed review in the Recent reviews category which has 86 reviews.

So it looks to me that the majority of players on Steam are still happy and just haven't bothered to write up new reviews because of the skill tree while a small number of unhappy players have.

It might mean something but it doesn't mean much.

#42 James The Fox Dixon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Indi

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:31 AM

Since Wil is unable to comment without insulting someone, I'm going to adhere to my policy of not replying to him.

#43 James The Fox Dixon

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Indi

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:39 AM

Did anyone hear or see something?

Hey BumbleBee how goes it man?

#44 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:40 AM

They should calm their ****, and just give it a chance, and time. It's a massive change than what we've been all used to, of course it's quite jarring.

Posted Image
Posted Image

View PostLupis Volk, on 25 May 2017 - 10:21 PM, said:

What a shocker steam troglodytes raging over change, come back when Steam isn't a hive of stupidity, toxicity and retardation.

That'd defeat the purpose of the skill tree. I think Clan Baked Kitty needs their iron wombs checked, I think Davions got into them again and spilt their kool-aid in it again.

I'm a steam user, and i'm okay with it. Of course i've only been in the MWO community for a year.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 26 May 2017 - 01:41 AM.

#45 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:42 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 26 May 2017 - 01:40 AM, said:

They should calm their ****, and just give it a chance, and time. It's a massive change than what we've been all used to, of course it's quite jarring.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Alas it seems many now treat change they don't like as "change for the sake of change" and parrot things a rather popular gaming youtuber Jim Sterling has said about that subject matter.

#46 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:44 AM

View PostLupis Volk, on 26 May 2017 - 01:42 AM, said:

Alas it seems many now treat change they don't like as "change for the sake of change" and parrot things a rather popular gaming youtuber Jim Sterling has said about that subject matter.

I'm actually okay with it. Sure it needs improvements, but it has it's charms that i like.

#47 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:46 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 26 May 2017 - 01:44 AM, said:

I'm actually okay with it. Sure it needs improvements, but it has it's charms that i like.

Oh i fully agree.

I'm just rather over the status quo warriors at this point. Change is needed, stagnation doesn't prolong a game's life cycle.

#48 Wil McCullough

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:50 AM

View PostLupis Volk, on 26 May 2017 - 01:46 AM, said:

Oh i fully agree.

I'm just rather over the status quo warriors at this point. Change is needed, stagnation doesn't prolong a game's life cycle.

i think the skill tree was a good change and many people would agree. many had problems not with the "what" but the "how" though. the skill tree is actually... not great. lol

#49 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 02:10 AM

Listen, I don't like the skill tree at much at all - but if you think maxing out to get every node is acceptable for a pvp game then you understand even less about balancing than Paul.

#50 Luminis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 May 2017 - 03:09 AM

Let me preface this by admitting that I'm a rather casual player that came back after a bit of a hiatus. I've put in about 240 hours before the skill tree was released and about 20 since. My opinion might not mean much to those among us who've made MWO a far bigger focal point in their lives than I ever did, but let me also proclaim my profound believe that there is merit in listening to "our" - as in, the casual players' - opinion. Primarily because I am of the opinion that MWO is but a recreational hobby for the majority of its players.

Be that as it may, the old system, primarily the rule of three, always struck as a scheme to coerce players into spending cash and / or buying 'Mech packs. Spending C-Bills on two chassis you never intended to pilot on top of the one you actually wanted struck me as an excessive money sink and turned out to severely limit players who did not invest the time to drop 15+ times a day, every day. The rule of three really "coincided" well with the base content of 'Mech packs, of course...

I also found myself piloting 'Mechs I did not particularly enjoy piloting solely for the sake of grinding out the mastery for another variant - or grinding out matches on basically the same 'Mech, in case of Omnis, just to get them all up to par. Again, not something you might particularly mind if you're playing for six or more hours a day, but spending the hour or two you play MWO in a 'Mech you do not enjoy piloting a lot was always grating on me.

Last but not least, it never felt like there was a lot of customisation coming out of the old system. There were a few 'Mech modules that were considered to be all but mandatory - namely Radar Deprivation and potentially Seismic Sensor - and then you picked up weapon modules corresponding to your build. I might have made a choice between a cooldown and a range module here and there, but that never felt like much.

Now, the skill tree is far from perfect and being a step up from the old system in general and the rule of three in particular doesn't say much, either. However, the skill tree is a good foundation to work with, or so I believe. The impact of the individual skill nodes is minuscule at present and many players still argue over which trees are worth spending points in and which aren't, but numbers can be tweaked and trees can be expanded or consolidated. Breaking away from the old system has, in my opinion, more upsides than downsides and, frankly, I have to admit that I'm quite happy PGI is willing to make major changes to the game in the first place. Change isn't always positive, but change is inevitable if improvements are to be made.

#51 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 26 May 2017 - 03:28 AM

I like the skill tree over the old system. :3

#52 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:22 AM

It was a mass of bitter-vets spamming the review system. I've even seen the same review C&P multiple times by different people.

#53 James The Fox Dixon

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Indi

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:23 AM

View PostDewd, on 26 May 2017 - 06:21 AM, said:

That actually is from the beta of MWO. Repair and rearm was a thing for a while and it nearly broke the game imho.

Hey Dewd! It's nice to see ya again. :)

#54 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:45 AM

...So is this guy just really hostile and angry about the skill maze or does he think that Steam reviews are a valid metric?

MODERATORS! SHUT DOWN THIS THREAD!!!

Edited by cazidin, 26 May 2017 - 06:46 AM.

#55 Phoolan Devi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fenrik
  • Fenrik
  • 366 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:58 AM

View PostWil McCullough, on 26 May 2017 - 12:34 AM, said:

leaderboards are a good way to actually give you an idea of how qualified a player's opinion is on current game balance. especially when you check it, and realize the person has literally only played 15 games over the last 5 years.

you've been absent from the game so long you didn't even know pgi tracks the stats of every player and made them publicly available for viewing.

you're the one trying to push your opinions on a game you haven't touched in 5 years and you talk about epeen. lol.

yes, you are free to comment in any topic you wish. as am i. the same freedom you have to comment also gives me the right to point out how your complete lack of games played makes your comments distinctly unqualified in discussions of game features and balance.

isn't freedom grand?

btw, i noticed you stalked my profile. pretty ironic considering you accused me of stalking you lol.

Leaderboards show only the games played in quick play and group........so to be on the leaderboard one has to play these modes. If one solely played FP, then your accusations go into the void.....just saying to be careful about using leaderboards as proof pf activity!

#56 PurplePuke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 315 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:59 AM

I play a fair bit of MWO and I much prefer the new Skill Tree over the old system because:
  • I only pilot mechs I want to pilot.
  • It adds another layer of customization to mechs/playstyle.
  • I never look for modules anymore.
Other people have complaints about it that I just don't understand, like:
  • "Too much button clicking." Lol, seriously?
  • "Too complicated." For me it's simple to use. Dead simple.
  • "Bad for new players." If I was a new player, I think I'd like it. You can add skill points after every game.
  • "Re-speccing should be free!" There has to be something to spend CBIlls and xp on.
I'm happy with the Skill Tree and looking forward to more development in MWO.

I'd really like a new map. It's about time.

#57 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:06 AM

I wish I had either the time or the inclination to go to Steam and write a review on the new system, but given it is just 2 weeks old, I will wait a tad longer, just in case any further changes (say in the next 2 weeks) makes any changes, that would make me, make changes, to any review I wrote to early. But that is just me. LOL! ;)

#58 Phoolan Devi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fenrik
  • Fenrik
  • 366 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:08 AM

View PostMappingway, on 25 May 2017 - 11:02 PM, said:

You failed to note the fact I said the old system wasn't perfect. Yes, the old system needing 3 mechs to reach elite tier skills was lame, but again, that could have been implemented without this restrictive skill tree. I seriously have to use 3 whole skill points just to unlock adv zoom when I could simply buy a module before, which makes a whole lot more sense? Rofl.

You fail to see that in order to buy the module you had to unlock the skill first which meant 15,000 gxp. Now, I don't know if you remember when you were new but let me tell you, 15,000gxp is a hell of a grind! Then, a module did cost 2,000,000 c-bills, which was considerably low.

But let's look at the new system. Adv. zoom does require 4 nodes á 45,000 c-bills and 800xp. So 180,000 c-bills and 3,200 xp....so, for a new player it means a grind of 4 games at maximum to get the needed xp (c-bills would be obtained at 2 games max). Under the old system it meant a grind of about a 100 games if not more. The same goes for radar derp and pretty much any module skill.

So, the new system is way better for new players than the old one.....not even taken the rule of three into consideration!

#59 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:23 AM

who is this guy?

#60 kuma8877

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 691 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:31 AM

Seems that the tide is turning on the Steam reviews. Early ST reviews seemed more negative (I'm sure the most vocally negative regardless of the actual system) and now seem to be getting better as players have more time with the new system. And newer players seem to not mind the grind as much. Hmmmm...

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users