Troubadour

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 1,724 posts
  • LocationThe city that care forgot

Posted 28 May 2017 - 04:14 PM

View PostCommander A9, on 28 May 2017 - 04:03 PM, said:

Roger, Mischief. Made the switch to Steam this morning. Much happier with it since Steam doesn't eat up 30 extra gigs every time MWO wants to patch itself. Posted Image

[LACK OF UNDERSTANDING OF CRYENGINE INTENSIFIES]

#42 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:19 PM

View PostCommander A9, on 28 May 2017 - 04:03 PM, said:

Roger, Mischief. Made the switch to Steam this morning. Much happier with it since Steam doesn't eat up 30 extra gigs every time MWO wants to patch itself. :P

I can verify cache integrity easily, delete/reinstall in about 20 min if need be. I have less issues on Steam. I'm sure the new portal is a great tool but Steam has more than a couple of bucks invested in their portal and bandwidth.

#43 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 07:49 PM

View PostWingbreaker, on 28 May 2017 - 04:14 PM, said:

[LACK OF UNDERSTANDING OF CRYENGINE INTENSIFIES]

patching has nothing to do with the game engine.

View PostMischiefSC, on 28 May 2017 - 03:58 PM, said:

Don't be a p***y, scro. Think with Portals.

Or, like me, just use Steam. Fast, stable.

i thought with portals and i got myself pregnant.

#44 Moomtazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 577 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:40 PM

Join the 1% of MWO players that use Steam

#45 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 10:50 PM

Oh noes! The client I use to update and launch my game is being changed! The Oppression! The Terror!

Seriously, it's just a different launcher. If you're missing a feature like the repair tool, just ask for that feature!

#46 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 28 May 2017 - 10:55 PM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 28 May 2017 - 10:50 PM, said:

Oh noes! The client I use to update and launch my game is being changed! The Oppression! The Terror!

Seriously, it's just a different launcher. If you're missing a feature like the repair tool, just ask for that feature!

The Repair Tool is available in the menu of the portal.

Again, can anyone please explain what they think is wrong about the portal...?

By the way, PGI makes more money when you use the portal instead of Steam. That's why I use the portal. The longer PGI stays in business, the longer the MWO servers stay up and we get to keep playing.

#47 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:55 AM

I did some quick research... but basically if you're still running XP (and this game will still run on XP), Portal is NOT for you as you need .NET v4.5.2 (.NET 4.0.3 is the final version for XP).

Basically, if you're still using XP, use the Steam client.

#48 MustrumRidcully

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 02:55 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 29 May 2017 - 12:55 AM, said:

I did some quick research... but basically if you're still running XP (and this game will still run on XP), Portal is NOT for you as you need .NET v4.5.2 (.NET 4.0.3 is the final version for XP).

Basically, if you're still using XP, use the Steam client.

Good idea. Also, update your machine to a modern operating system. In fact, absolutely positively do the latter.

It's okay to be worried about Apple, Google or Microsoft trying to get your data... But imagine criminals getting your data!

#49 QuantumButler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationTaiwan, One True China

Posted 29 May 2017 - 05:08 AM

I don't understand people who don't just use Steam, It Just Works.

#50 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:01 AM

PGI should be very pleased with themselves that amongst the complex skill maze which still hosts redundant or sub-optimal nodes gating the stuff we actually want, LRMs which despite AMS existing for the sole purpose of countering that seem to have returned to utterly crush players with the intelligence and fore-sight of a small gold fish that constantly rams the glass wall of it's bowl, and no new maps? THIS is what we complain about? Not liking the new portal? The repair tool Is there and it... actually works a little better now but that's entirely subjective.

*Intended to be taken in good humor and not to violate any part of the CoC by pointing out the triviality of this complaint.

Edited by cazidin, 29 May 2017 - 08:02 AM.

#51 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:17 AM

View PostAppogee, on 28 May 2017 - 10:55 PM, said:

By the way, PGI makes more money when you use the portal instead of Steam. That's why I use the portal. The longer PGI stays in business, the longer the MWO servers stay up and we get to keep playing.

Thanks for the heads up! Since I'm a Canadian, and PGI is a Canadian Company, but I'm being asked to pay in US dollars, I shall be converting over to STEAM now.

Just one more way I can vote with my wallet.

(And before this comes up..No I'm not asking to pay less because our dollar is lower, I'm asking for the equivalent Canadian funds to be charged to Canadian customers. Euros...you are on your own).

Edited by TLBFestus, 29 May 2017 - 09:19 AM.

#52 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 29 May 2017 - 10:27 AM

Just.

Use.

Steam.

#53 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 30 May 2017 - 03:44 AM

I just know one thing..

Ever since I started running the game via portal (since PGI shoved it down my throat), on about 80-90% of times I exit the game, the game crashes.

The portal itself is stable, but the game has having crazy FPS spikes (or dips, to be exact), and then on exit - crash.

#54 MW222

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 620 posts
  • LocationWay, Way Over there, Face North turn left or was that right?

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:45 PM

Tried it and it did launch the game but the repair tool stalls, did all the regular fixes still kept freezing. Left it to run for 30 pulse mins. still locked up. It's not ready for prime time. Uninstalled it.

#55 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:58 AM

My problem with the Portal is that it doesn't let me update the game properly.. If a patch or hotfix is out, it takes forever to update/patch, and it actually hangs up mid-way.. And then I crash it, open the launcher, and patch it under a minute..

Please fix the Portal before shoving it down our throats and removing the launcher..

Oh and yes, I STILL can't remember when was the last time I exited the game without it crashing.. oh yeah.. when I used the launcher Posted Image

Edited by Vellron2005, 29 June 2017 - 12:59 AM.

#56 CraneArmy

• PipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Participant
  • WC 2017 Participant
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:15 PM

View PostVellron2005, on 29 June 2017 - 12:58 AM, said:

My problem with the Portal is that it doesn't let me update the game properly.. If a patch or hotfix is out, it takes forever to update/patch, and it actually hangs up mid-way.. And then I crash it, open the launcher, and patch it under a minute..

Please fix the Portal before shoving it down our throats and removing the launcher..

Oh and yes, I STILL can't remember when was the last time I exited the game without it crashing.. oh yeah.. when I used the launcher Posted Image

I'm having this problem 2 for civil war and now for the hotfix.

except it will hang my whole pc. halfway through

after civil war I did a full reinstall from scratch thinking it was something corrupted on my end. turns out its the portal.

1 thing that may be unique about my PC is that the install drive for MWO is not my C: drive. but other than that computer is modern and beats the recommended specs by several years or an order of magnitide on every point.

I'm going to try to install through steam.... but the portal is definitely not stable. I'm assuming the only way to get mwo to work through the portal will be once again to nuke and reinstall from scratch.

#57 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:40 PM

View PostCraneArmy, on 27 July 2017 - 10:15 PM, said:

I'm having this problem 2 for civil war and now for the hotfix.

except it will hang my whole pc. halfway through

after civil war I did a full reinstall from scratch thinking it was something corrupted on my end. turns out its the portal.

1 thing that may be unique about my PC is that the install drive for MWO is not my C: drive. but other than that computer is modern and beats the recommended specs by several years or an order of magnitide on every point.

I'm going to try to install through steam.... but the portal is definitely not stable. I'm assuming the only way to get mwo to work through the portal will be once again to nuke and reinstall from scratch.

Your computer is not the unique.. my MWO is not installed on C: drive either.. I never install games on the C: drive, and since my C: drive is an SSD, with a fixed number of uses, I'm saving it by not installing frequently run programs (other than Windows) to maximize it's durability.

I think that forcing us to use something that's buggy and unpolished is a very very bad thing, and if they do truly force us, it will be a massive problem for many players.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users