You Want To Know What Players Think Of Balance Pgi?

101 replies to this topic

#21 QuantumButler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationTaiwan, One True China

Posted 27 May 2017 - 02:14 PM

View PostGyrok, on 27 May 2017 - 01:43 PM, said:

Run the Iron Dome KFX with ECM + 3x AMS and farm match score destroying LRMs while you sit in the back with 2x CERLL and get a few pokes in here and there.

Or do the same but with 2 MG and 6 ERSL and keep up with your brawling robots and actually do damage.

#22 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 02:28 PM

View PostYourSaviorLegion, on 27 May 2017 - 08:04 AM, said:

Somebody has never killed over half the enemy team and scored a 1k damage in a light before.

Posted Image

Funny part this was in a ERLL LCT-1V, with a STD Engine Posted Image

Edited by Andi Nagasia, 27 May 2017 - 02:40 PM.

#23 Isolani

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:02 PM

I hardly ever play lights or assaults anymore because I am bad at them. Lights, even if I don't derp and die fast, I just don't get wins when I play them, so I stopped playing them. Assaults, I simply hate being so slow. Mediums and Heavies are just more balanced than the extremes of light and assault.

#24 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:08 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 27 May 2017 - 07:24 AM, said:

And what would you suggest them for requirements? 20 matches per class? Forcing players to play classes they do not like is just as bad.

Role warfare is long dead, and and PGI will not be the one to fix that. Lights have been generally under 10% even without this event. Players like more dakka and the weight to carry them.

I would suggest instead of changing the requirements of the event, they work on getting better balance across the weight classes. Like we were supposed to have so that this game wouldn't be like the previous ones that were a race to get heavies and assaults.

View PostCoolant, on 27 May 2017 - 07:34 AM, said:

Once again, another player that either didn't play MW4:Mercs or has forgotten that lights in MWO are far better. You could not take a light and run it through an entire team of enemies and turn orange. You simply would die. Unlike in MW4, MWO's laser duration, LBX/SRM, and streaming Clan Missiles and Ballistic causes damage to be spread all over the mech. This did not happen in MW4 - all damage to one section in a single alpha (with very rare exceptions). Plus, in MW4 there were knockdowns, so if you as a light got knocked down you were dead.

Please, no more posts about how lights have it hard....no

This isn't MW4.

Edited by dario03, 27 May 2017 - 03:20 PM.

#25 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:22 PM

As long as damage is the primary mode of making c-bills/match score/xp the game will remain the same no matter a new skill tree, new mechs, etc. The majority of eople will tend to gravitate to that which gives the biggest rewards.

The only way to change balance is to change the rewards and get people to play differently. Not sure why people haven't clued into this as it has been the way of MWO since open beta.

#26 FireStoat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 04:45 PM

I blew through the event in one sitting using my Warrant TBR & Scorch MAD IIC. Match score is about damage, so that's that.

#27 Mechwarrior4670152

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 04:46 PM

View PostTed Wayz, on 27 May 2017 - 03:22 PM, said:

The only way to change balance is to change the rewards and get people to play differently. Not sure why people haven't clued into this as it has been the way of MWO since open beta.

They HAVE changed the rewards.
Several times.

Every time they have made it worth doing anything but shooting enemy mechs, the Skirmishtards and brain-dead Metahumpers (note - not ALL metahumpers) threw such a fit that PGI changed it back.

Conquest pays far better than Skirmish - and yet Skirmish is by far the most popular mode.

There is only so much PGI can do.
They can no more fix stupid than anyone else

#28 v4skunk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 176 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 05:19 PM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 27 May 2017 - 07:12 AM, said:

Run an event based on match score and see the chassis of mechs played.

Since the event started the light queue has been under 10% for the most part (with a few spikes), heavy above 40% almost consistently.

Lets face it, events based on match score where damage is king of score leaves the lights straggling as we can not either A.) match the damage or B.) live long enough to get it

Just pointing out this fact is all.

Your players are going for the easiest way to get damage. Its not lights

Get a Panther 8z with 2LL or 2 ERLL. Put on full armour quirks, some radar derp and laser duration.
Go forth and spew laser vomit and tank like a heavy.

#29 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,791 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 05:40 PM

the reason i havent been running very many lights is because there arent very many lights. i finished specing those out a couple days ago. i have a dozen or so mediums, heavies, and assaults left to spec out. i cant remember the last time a light new came out for cbills. last light i bought was the cinder. will be months before we get the javelin.

#30 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 06:55 PM

Events always kill the light queue. It wasn't near as bad this time as in any of the KMDD events. Or, worse, the kill/win/survive events that they used to do.

I stuck some AMS on my Purifier and farmed LRMs with instant queue times. The score changes made it almost hilariously easy- even my bad matches usually yielded decent progress towards the goal, and it's all thanks to the coffee+m1 layabouts spamming from the backline. Cute Fox is now relaxing on a pile of event loot with a belly full of LRMs! Yummy, yummy LRMs.

#31 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:02 PM

Ok stats in...

I ran the first half of the event in my atlas K, averaged about 330 match score.
second half i ran my Death's kneel and CMD-1D, averaged 255 match score. (i do better did a bit better in my DK, though a couple of my best matches were in the 1D)

at any rate, according to my match stats, i did do better in my assault. My win % was higher in the atlas, but KDR were about the same.

So had i kept playing my atlas, i might of finished a little bit sooner, but i sure as heck had fun in my commandos today. I also was getting matches basically instantly so that was nice. Posted Image

Here is a screenie of my one of my best runs.. ran 27 matches today, Not sure how many i did yesterday to get to 4500. (i played my K a little before the event started)

Going Commando! (CMD-1D screenie)

Posted Image

Edited by JC Daxion, 27 May 2017 - 07:12 PM.

#32 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:14 PM

Once again, another player that either didn't play MW4:Mercs or has forgotten that lights in MWO are far better. You could not take a light and run it through an entire team of enemies and turn orange. You simply would die. Unlike in MW4, MWO's laser duration, LBX/SRM, and streaming Clan Missiles and Ballistic causes damage to be spread all over the mech. This did not happen in MW4 - all damage to one section in a single alpha (with very rare exceptions). Plus, in MW4 there were knockdowns, so if you as a light got knocked down you were dead.

But... this isn't MW4? Are you saying that light balance in MWO is ok because it was worse in a completely different game?

#33 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 08:39 PM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 27 May 2017 - 07:12 AM, said:

Run an event based on match score and see the chassis of mechs played.

Since the event started the light queue has been under 10% for the most part (with a few spikes), heavy above 40% almost consistently.

Lets face it, events based on match score where damage is king of score leaves the lights straggling as we can not either A.) match the damage or B.) live long enough to get it

Just pointing out this fact is all.

Your players are going for the easiest way to get damage. Its not lights

Well, I did just have a 900+ damage match in my Panther. Wound up skirmishing on HPG and tried to sit back and snipe. My team died, but with honor, as I saw through my advanced zoom view. They even successfully killed about half the enemy team as well as seriously messing up some of the survivors. Came down to myself against 6 enemies. Killed one Mad Dog LRM boat from afar and got into a poking contest with the other. Felt like I was losing that so I jumped down and popped his other ST as well, then killed the Wolfhound who was spotting for him.

A Griffin SRM boat, a Kit Fox, and a Nova with no weapons rolled around the corner and started chasing me then, so I tagged the Griffin a bit and opened his armor and ran away to cool, but he tagged my leg and broke it. I have no idea if this was intentional or not, but every time I'd try to finish the Griffin off, one of his teammates would jump in front and take the 20 point hit. This killed the Nova, and I finally managed to use a little ramp near the ground floor to separate them and get a clean shot at the Griffin, which I nailed.

Unfortunately for me, by this point I'd run out of armor and the lowly Kit Fox finished me off with laser fire, but it was the most exciting match I'd played in a long while. It was pretty cool to see my team go from, "oh well, another lazy sniper player," to "come from behind win seems possible whuuuuut?" I usually brawl, so I felt a bit more in my element once I jumped down as well. That excitement of a truly close match against all odds is literally the exact kind of combat high I seek from this game.

Guess my long-winded point is that while difficult, lights have enormous fun potential and I need to go back and pilot my Locusts more.

#34 xe N on

• 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:18 PM

Lights can score high but it is very situational. If they are ignored and/or have their lag shield activated they can score quite high. However, the better the enemy team is coordinated and the better they can aim, lights score will go down.

Lights profit from long match times because usually their dps and their cooling is inferior to mechs higher weight classes.

Edited by xe N on, 27 May 2017 - 10:18 PM.

#35 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:51 PM

View Postxe N on, on 27 May 2017 - 10:18 PM, said:

Lights can score high but it is very situational. If they are ignored and/or have their lag shield activated they can score quite high. However, the better the enemy team is coordinated and the better they can aim, lights score will go down.

Lights profit from long match times because usually their dps and their cooling is inferior to mechs higher weight classes.

It is a very sad picture of the state of the game when an entire weightclass has to rely on the enemy being stupid to get anything significant done.

#36 xe N on

• 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 May 2017 - 11:01 PM

View PostRequiemking, on 27 May 2017 - 10:51 PM, said:

It is a very sad picture of the state of the game when an entire weightclass has to rely on the enemy being stupid to get anything significant done.

Lights are the "LRMs" of the mech classes. ;)

#37 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 27 May 2017 - 11:14 PM

View PostYourSaviorLegion, on 27 May 2017 - 08:04 AM, said:

Somebody has never killed over half the enemy team and scored a 1k damage in a light before.

yup. Lights DoA.

(Somehow more impressive that 1700 dmg in a Hellbringer... but I ain't one to gossip. ;) )

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 27 May 2017 - 11:15 PM.

#38 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 28 May 2017 - 12:32 AM

Darian's point is pretty valid. The event means that people take out the mechs with which to achieve the event the fastest or easiest. When you see hardly any lights anymore, then you know what that means.

The gameplay of lights is very unrewarding.
If you are unlucky and catch one of the high pinpoint alphas your armour is most likely breached and with the consistent laser spam you will get hit.

With the longer CD and less heat disipation you need more uptime on a target. Which means that you are limited to a role as a sniper (which can be better done by fast mediums anyway) or to drive-by-shooting. The latter is not much better than LRMing. You sprinkle damage over the enemy and hope he doesn't get a solid bead on you.

Then there are maps which are just terrible for mechs with short-range weaponry. Sure, clan lights do better because they can field longer range med-lasers.

That aside I am still waiting for PGI promise of re-balancing after the re-sizing of the 35t mechs.

Last but not least some of you tough guys here are amusing. Some of you do not even play lights. Let's take one of you Rambos as an example: Rank 7633, 14 matches played in lights this season. Last season NONE. Another hasn't touched a light mech for the last 2 seasons (and I only checked this and the last season). I would call that a hypocrite that such a person comments on the state of lights.

Edited by Bush Hopper, 28 May 2017 - 12:34 AM.

#39 M3 SABLE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 255 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 12:38 AM

Yeah, how unfortunate... i so wish there were more lights.
Love the hard to hit lag armor on tbe enemy lights, ally lights that dont spread the damage for the team, and love spectating the twich shooter of the last mech remaining when i die...

#40 Templar Dane

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 12:40 AM

Well, if lights are meant to be objectively inferior.......why would anyone take them into a match?

If anything there should be a multiplier to match score/cbills according to tonnage, so that taking a lighter mech pays out more. Why take a 40 ton medium when the matchmaker considers a 55 ton medium the same thing?

Why take a commando when you can take a warhammer and make more cbills?

But meh, matchmaker should take tonnage into account not just weight class.......AND the end rewards should have a multiplier based on class and tonnage so that a 20 ton mech that does 200 damage makes more cbills than a 35 ton mech doing 200 damage....which makes more than a 40+ ton mech doing 200 damage.

edit

And maybe make it a bell curve so assaults make a bit more than heavies.

Edited by Templar Dane, 28 May 2017 - 12:43 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users