BattleMechs Loadout Metagame

41 replies to this topic

#21 Blackhound

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:53 PM

Pre-skill tree I posted 800+ damage games to the forums in my Mist Lynx with 1xLRM5+Artemis, 2xSPL, 2xMG, T.Comp 1. I haven't played it too much since skill tree came out, but I found it to be a straight upgrade the times I did.

When the hero comes out I'll pick it back up again, I am going to shift the lasers to the torso and fit ECM. Once the new tech happens I'm also going to add some Laser-AMS and upgrade to HMG.

I am of the complete opposite mindset of the majority of people here and I think my damage numbers provide enough evidence that you can break the mold and do whatever floats your boat with a Mist Lynx. I run zero in Operations and only 8 in Mobility.

#22 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:55 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 27 May 2017 - 07:37 PM, said:

Eh, not quite. It really depends on whether you are doing poke or brawl.

Here is the 4x cERML build.

Here is the MLX-B brawl build.

There is zero point to Survivability if you aren't running pods that have the +24 armor quirk. It's not worth it to dump nodes and gain +2 armor on each arm and structure doesn't count (and is also tiny). The only reason I run Durability on my 3x cSRM4 one is because each arm ends up with 44 points of armor when I'm done and I don't need the Heat Containment or Cool Run from Operations.

You already get structure quirks, so it would be to your own detriment to not get any that amplify that.

Heat generation is still an issue... as much as this mech needs it. I mean you could try not to be sustaining, but you don't naturally have the speed to get away with stuff.

#23 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:57 PM

Haven't test mine yet but it was completely viable before so I doubt there is any reason it won't be viable now.

#24 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 08:14 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 27 May 2017 - 07:55 PM, said:

You already get structure quirks, so it would be to your own detriment to not get any that amplify that.

Heat generation is still an issue... as much as this mech needs it. I mean you could try not to be sustaining, but you don't naturally have the speed to get away with stuff.

I'm filling the arms with fragile, single-slot weapons that already get crit before I lose the arm. Structure does nothing for me there. It's more useful in the legs, but I'm not getting legged all that often already. It also doesn't really help me in the torsos because once I've lost the arms, it's gg anyway.

When we get the torso guns, I might re-examine this, but I doubt it will change.

#25 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 08:22 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 27 May 2017 - 08:14 PM, said:

I'm filling the arms with fragile, single-slot weapons that already get crit before I lose the arm. Structure does nothing for me there. It's more useful in the legs, but I'm not getting legged all that often already. It also doesn't really help me in the torsos because once I've lost the arms, it's gg anyway.

When we get the torso guns, I might re-examine this, but I doubt it will change.

You'd have to buffer them with DHS.. which in itself is kind of a tax at this tonnage. The MLX-B build stands to benefit a bit from the armor side with the super-buff armored arm.

#26 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 08:27 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 27 May 2017 - 08:22 PM, said:

You'd have to buffer them with DHS.. which in itself is kind of a tax at this tonnage. The MLX-B build stands to benefit a bit from the armor side with the super-buff armored arm.

You can only buffer the lasers, and even then they still get crit frequently. You cannot buffer the builds using SRMs because there are no extra heat-sinks...unless you are suggesting I buffer with explosive ammo. That would be far from optimal.

The MLX needs the PHX treatment. All of the arms could benefit from that +24 armor quirk and at least another +8 structure to the vanilla amount. There is plenty of alternative incentive to run the missile arms and HMGs will likely make running the ballistics worthwhile, too. Especially since we're getting the MLX-G. Having craptastic defensive quirks is a poor choice of balancing aid.

#27 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 08:39 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 27 May 2017 - 08:27 PM, said:

You can only buffer the lasers, and even then they still get crit frequently. You cannot buffer the builds using SRMs because there are no extra heat-sinks...unless you are suggesting I buffer with explosive ammo. That would be far from optimal.

I believe you can get away with 1 ton of ammo if you get the missile ammo nodes, but that also means you get like 15 shots if you ran something involving 2 SRM4s. You can kinda hide the ammo in the legs or the RT... but I guess that depends on your luck .

The MLX needs the PHX treatment. All of the arms could benefit from that +24 armor quirk and at least another +8 structure to the vanilla amount. There is plenty of alternative incentive to run the missile arms and HMGs will likely make running the ballistics worthwhile, too. Especially since we're getting the MLX-G. Having craptastic defensive quirks is a poor choice of balancing aid.

I don't see HMGs being a thing when current MGs are still not really a thing unless its in bulk and quirked.

But yes, they do need PHX treatment.

Edited by Deathlike, 27 May 2017 - 08:40 PM.

#28 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 09:01 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 27 May 2017 - 08:39 PM, said:

I believe you can get away with 1 ton of ammo if you get the missile ammo nodes, but that also means you get like 15 shots if you ran something involving 2 SRM4s. You can kinda hide the ammo in the legs or the RT... but I guess that depends on your luck .

What? No you can't. With 2x4, you will frequently run out with just 200 missiles. You need at least 250 before you regularly encounter games where you end some still left in the magazine. I had to drop one of the SRM4 to an SRM2 to get that 250, and the Missile Racks skill has allowed me to bump it back up to an SRM4 and run it with 240 missiles.

It is the missiles and the rapidity with which they fire that make the MLX-B work. You need as much ammo as you can get.

I don't see HMGs being a thing when current MGs are still not really a thing unless its in bulk and quirked.

A pair of cSRM4 with that 30% cool-down reduction on the full-set MLX-PRIME coupled with HMGs and +10% MG RoF will chew through things pretty well. Hell, we're getting the ability to run 4x SRM2, so even dropping the full set quirks will be fairly DPS-y. That MG quirk could probably stand to be a little higher, but it can do work. The MLX-A needs an MG quirk much, much higher. Like 50%. at least. Or they could just give it more guns. Either one.

#29 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 09:12 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 27 May 2017 - 09:01 PM, said:

What? No you can't. With 2x4, you will frequently run out with just 200 missiles. You need at least 250 before you regularly encounter games where you end some still left in the magazine. I had to drop one of the SRM4 to an SRM2 to get that 250, and the Missile Racks skill has allowed me to bump it back up to an SRM4 and run it with 240 missiles.

It is the missiles and the rapidity with which they fire that make the MLX-B work. You need as much ammo as you can get.

I plead some ignorance to it. I feel that you just dump the payload and call it a day with whatever lasers you decide with left (I don't really boat SRMs under 3 due to preferring mass splat over bare min).

A pair of cSRM4 with that 30% cool-down reduction on the full-set MLX-PRIME coupled with HMGs and +10% MG RoF will chew through things pretty well. Hell, we're getting the ability to run 4x SRM2, so even dropping the full set quirks will be fairly DPS-y. That MG quirk could probably stand to be a little higher, but it can do work. The MLX-A needs an MG quirk much, much higher. Like 50%. at least. Or they could just give it more guns. Either one.

When I had looked over the Prime's stats way before we even got the mech, I thought you could try to do something with it.

You are better off with superquirked Lights that have missile cooldown buffs.

Those few MGs would still not really be a thing iMO.

Edited by Deathlike, 27 May 2017 - 09:28 PM.

#30 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,068 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:20 PM

i think i had a good run in mine. mind you one datapoint does not science make.

#31 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 11:02 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 27 May 2017 - 07:37 PM, said:

Eh, not quite. It really depends on whether you are doing poke or brawl.

Here is the 4x cERML build.

Here is the MLX-B brawl build.

There is zero point to Survivability if you aren't running pods that have the +24 armor quirk. It's not worth it to dump nodes and gain +2 armor on each arm and structure doesn't count (and is also tiny). The only reason I run Durability on my 3x cSRM4 one is because each arm ends up with 44 points of armor when I'm done and I don't need the Heat Containment or Cool Run from Operations.

I'm not entirely sold on those trees necessarily, but I think the only optimization I can find is removing approximately 3 nodes near the top of the tree that branch early onto the extreme left and right (Torso Yaw 1+2 and Hard Break 2) as those aren't really necessary for the agility you get (Hard Break 2 is gated by 1 node, but that's all you're getting - unless you switch Torso Yaw 2 to Torso Speed 1).

#32 RU D2

• Pip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:32 AM

Thanks for all the great feedback, you've given me a lot of great information to get started with this chassis.

#33 Skanderborg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 411 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 08:16 AM

needs more horsepower.

#34 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 08:22 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 27 May 2017 - 11:02 PM, said:

I'm not entirely sold on those trees necessarily, but I think the only optimization I can find is removing approximately 3 nodes near the top of the tree that branch early onto the extreme left and right (Torso Yaw 1+2 and Hard Break 2) as those aren't really necessary for the agility you get (Hard Break 2 is gated by 1 node, but that's all you're getting - unless you switch Torso Yaw 2 to Torso Speed 1).

Eh, II will take all the Hard Brake + Kinetic Burst I can get. This 'Mech lives and dies based on how quickly it can change direction in a fight. I mean, what else am I going to do with those nodes? Get a tiny bit more heat or cool-down reduction? Even spending for one point in Seismic is pretty useless because the range is so short.

If i it had higher base agility, I would probably fill out that Mobility tree the bare minimum to get full speed tweak (which, IMHO, should go back to being 10%).

View PostDeathlike, on 27 May 2017 - 09:12 PM, said:

I plead some ignorance to it. I feel that you just dump the payload and call it a day with whatever lasers you decide with left (I don't really boat SRMs under 3 due to preferring mass splat over bare min).

If that's the mode you want to operate in, use SRM6. Otherwise, it's more useful than that. Posted Image

When I had looked over the Prime's stats way before we even got the mech, I thought you could try to do something with it.

You are better off with superquirked Lights that have missile cooldown buffs.

Those few MGs would still not really be a thing iMO.

Well, that's the fun part. The MLX-PRIME is one one of those Superquirked lights with missile cool-down buffs. Up to 47 armor per arm, 30% missile cool-down, 10% Machine Gun RoF, other things I'm probably leaving off. IMHO, what it (and the B ) needs in the offensive quirks department is 10% missile spread reduction, but otherwise they're covered.

Edited by Yeonne Greene, 28 May 2017 - 09:24 AM.

#35 Rekkon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 325 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 30 May 2017 - 10:38 AM

Was Speed Tweak ever actually 10% or just incorrectly listed as 10% in the interface while providing 7.5%?

I took my Mist Lynxes (4x ERML and 3x ERSL+2x SRM-6) out for a spin this past weekend, and I think their relative viability increased with the skill tree. They still suck, just somewhat less. Of their numerous short comings, several are directly or indirectly alleviated. Fewer mechs have speed tweak now, so taking it yourself lets you get away that little bit faster from many foes. You still are not outrunning "proper speed" enemy lights even if they skipped speed tweak, but that is nothing new from the old system. Heat was an issue for many builds before, but spec-ing into heat gen and cool run (and to a lesser extent jump jet heat shielding) makes them much more manageable. Same with ammo now that we have missile rack nodes.

If PGI would just unlock the Active Probe, I think the Mist Lynx might ascend all the way to average status. Perhaps it will edge there with the new torso omnipods regardless.

#36 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 10:46 AM

Speed Tweak was 10% up until early 2016, when they reduced it. Should be 10% again, if you ask me.

#37 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 10:48 AM

Too many hardwired JJ's + hardwired CAP on this 25t mech but I still can't stop loving it.

#38 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,765 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 30 May 2017 - 10:57 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 30 May 2017 - 10:46 AM, said:

Speed Tweak was 10% up until early 2016, when they reduced it. Should be 10% again, if you ask me.

Now that most mechs skip it instead of always getting it, I would agree.

#39 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 30 May 2017 - 11:22 AM

I remember having fun with it, but not doing well in it, I know I broke 400 damage with it in solo Q.P but can't remember a 500 point game.

I've been a passenger of one that was the ECM Poptart build score over 650 damage and get four kills in solo Q.P but 'he' played to an astounding level.

Had one of those moments I'll never forget in one as well. I ninja's two kills scored under 300 damage and got accused of using an aimbot by some clown.

#40 Requiemking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 30 May 2017 - 11:39 AM

View PostCathy, on 30 May 2017 - 11:22 AM, said:

I remember having fun with it, but not doing well in it, I know I broke 400 damage with it in solo Q.P but can't remember a 500 point game.

I've been a passenger of one that was the ECM Poptart build score over 650 damage and get four kills in solo Q.P but 'he' played to an astounding level.

Had one of those moments I'll never forget in one as well. I ninja's two kills scored under 300 damage and got accused of using an aimbot by some clown.
I haven't played mine since Skill tree, but I remember that it was rather nasty. I run mine with a pair of MPLs in the Right arm, with the left arm being a shield. Prior to Skill Tree I could go one on one with a Rifleman and stand a good chance of winning. I'll have to give him a try after I get home today.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users