Early Post Skill Tree Balance

Devpost Balance

259 replies to this topic

#21 SmokedJag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:00 AM

Nice to share data. Also nice that most of the big improvements are on middling-to-poor chassis. Gargoyle and Dragon meta FTW!

Better is hearing that nerfs/buffs will be an active, data driven process over the next few months.

#22 HGAK47

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 971 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:10 AM

I would be very cautious about putting too much stock into those numbers yet. The early days of course good players will be trying out old mechs, as well as other players fumbling around trying to find there feet with the new system.

I had a few great games with the DRG-Flame early on with the skill tree but I would imagine people have adapted. A lot is still evolving I would say although things certainly have settled down since the first few days of Skill Tree.

Very happy that you guys took the time to post the info though and also happy to hear that you know more needs to be done.

One last thing - I have seen the light queue at historic lows recently often falling below 5%, even saw 0% lights the other day. Heavy mechs making anywhere from 40-55% of the players at points. This is no doubt due in part to the event so that may well be throwing off a lot of stats.

Edited by HGAK47, 29 May 2017 - 11:12 AM.

#23 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:33 AM

I love stats like these! Please post more! Preferably on individual variant's performance in relative to others.

Among these 'Mechs being targeted for June adjustments include:

Night Gyr
Marauder IIC
King Crab
Firestarter
Black Knight

Now I assume NGyr and MAD-IIC are getting the nerfstick, while King Crap and Firestarter are getting buffed. What about the Black Kniggit? Is it getting buffed or nerfed?

View PostLuminis, on 29 May 2017 - 10:44 AM, said:

Smells like an agility nerf for my MAD-IIC Posted Image

That would suck. MAD-IIC currently has the lowest agility among 85 tonners.

Edited by El Bandito, 29 May 2017 - 11:42 AM.

#24 DAYLEET

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:35 AM

So the FS9 is getting buffed, thats nice. But how? They run super hot because they have too much firepower for a light but thats fine. JJ still are a trap for lights with as much as 5jj and skilled up. Speed/mobility nerf still hurts, they are mandatory in the tree which is kind of a nerf in itself.

I wouldnt mind an increase in speed/mobility to spare the points in the tree. Or some armor/structure quirks.

Life in a light sucks when there's 5 assault and 4 heavies per game, reinstate 3/3/3/3. It sucks for everyone else too, assault arent assault anymore and you end up with campers everywhere because pushing is way more costly now and you cant rely on your team 75% of the time.

#25 Luminis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:49 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 29 May 2017 - 11:33 AM, said:

That would suck. MAD-IIC currently has the lowest agility among 85 tonners.

Well, what other option do a we face? Negative quirks?

I also wonder if all variants are currently over performing. The - A variant with triple UACs and two PPCs plays not quite a lot like a Scorch or a MPL boat.

Either way, I'm not too sure about balancing actions being taken now, considering we're quite close to the supposed energy weapon rework and CW tech.

#26 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:56 AM

lol, standard clan nerf incoming............ btw how in the h3ll is the BLR-2C not in ultra over perform category? i mean i dont mind rolling around with 5LPL and durability quirks out the wazoo ticking off 5-600 dmg a match in it. makes me want to switch to IS for CW.

#27 Too Much Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 787 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:57 AM

I supported the Skill Tree from the very beginning, and I'm glad that it works even better then I had thought previously.

Good work, guys!

#28 Foxfire kadrpg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 291 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:58 AM

my anecdotal explaination for the Commando was that it retained a considerable amount of agility after the patch. I'm not comparing numbers, but my torso twisting, mech turning, and arm agility were all as "I remember it" whereas the Ember I have feels like I'm wearing a block of ice.

#29 DGTLDaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 746 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:00 PM

So, not only the Clan lasers are getting nerfed in the June patch, but also the Marauder IIC and the Night Gyr? Whatever. It's not even funny anymore. Both of those mechs are barely driveable right now because of low mobility. Not sure what other nerfs PGI can come up with.

Edited by DGTLDaemon, 29 May 2017 - 12:01 PM.

#30 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,823 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:01 PM

Looks like PGI is going to nerf the best Clan Assault and best Clan Dual Gauss Platform, just in time for the Mad Cat Mk II release. I see what's going on.

#31 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:02 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 29 May 2017 - 11:33 AM, said:

I love stats like these! Please post more! Preferably on individual variant's performance in relative to others.

Now I assume NGyr and MAD-IIC are getting the nerfstick, while King Crap and Firestarter are getting buffed. What about the Black Kniggit? Is it getting buffed or nerfed?

Yea, i was thinking the exact same thing lol.

But this posts confirmed what i've been saying, Many IS mechs got a huge buff, despite all the gloom and doom people been preaching that ST was a total IS nerf.

I just hope they don't nerf the commando and dragon any time soon.. They are still not in many matches, let people get a chance to find the goodness! :)

View PostDAYLEET, on 29 May 2017 - 11:35 AM, said:

So the FS9 is getting buffed, thats nice. But how? They run super hot because they have too much firepower for a light but thats fine. JJ still are a trap for lights with as much as 5jj and skilled up. Speed/mobility nerf still hurts, they are mandatory in the tree which is kind of a nerf in itself.

I wouldnt mind an increase in speed/mobility to spare the points in the tree. Or some armor/structure quirks.

Life in a light sucks when there's 5 assault and 4 heavies per game, reinstate 3/3/3/3. It sucks for everyone else too, assault arent assault anymore and you end up with campers everywhere because pushing is way more costly now and you cant rely on your team 75% of the time.

IMO it just needs some structure/armor buffs, maybe a smige of agility. It should be the commando's big brother so to speak.

#32 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:05 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 29 May 2017 - 12:02 PM, said:

Yea, i was thinking the exact same thing lol.

But this posts confirmed what i've been saying, Many IS mechs got a huge buff, despite all the gloom and doom people been preaching that ST was a total IS nerf.

I just hope they don't nerf the commando and dragon any time soon.. They are still not in many matches, let people get a chance to find the goodness! :)

IMO it just needs some structure/armor buffs, maybe a smige of agility. It should be the commando's big brother so to speak.
I think the best buff we could hope for is a redo on the Rescale that killed it in the first place.

#33 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,753 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:05 PM

A few of the mechs mentioned were rarely played, but then they were and will likely continue to be one trick ponies.

The introduction of the Defensive Tree has resulted in an overall boost to resilience. This has resulted in an increase to overall damage output scores across the board. Globally averaging at a +30 damage increase over the previous system.

Of course there is going to be overall boost to resilience, generall more to internal structure vs armor since IS does not rely on whether points are placed on Frontal vs Back sections.. doh...

(chuckles) separate that into Clan and IS categories, if you would........

And no, this is not an assault but using a wide brush is discourteous, and is one of the reasons I had previous cancelled several preorders across 3 accounts /sorry nephew.... but I got you a larger monitor!!!!

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 29 May 2017 - 12:25 PM.

#34 ForceUser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 894 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:06 PM

View PostSummon3r, on 29 May 2017 - 11:56 AM, said:

lol, standard clan nerf incoming............ btw how in the h3ll is the BLR-2C not in ultra over perform category? i mean i dont mind rolling around with 5LPL and durability quirks out the wazoo ticking off 5-600 dmg a match in it. makes me want to switch to IS for CW.

5-600 dmg is not overperforming. That's ok, bordering on decent. At higher skill levels in QP they are relatively easy to sidetorso since it's a known fact they run XLs. I mean yea they are very good in QP, but not over performing. The hit to agility makes it a little bit easier to focus those side torsos or just CT core it. I think a small change can easily tip them from very good to potential over performing so it and similar mechs will need to be evaluated after the energy overhaul.

#35 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,947 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:07 PM

I worry about balance if PGI is using W/L ratio as part of the formula

#36 ForceUser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 894 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:09 PM

View PostBulletsponge0, on 29 May 2017 - 12:07 PM, said:

I worry about balance if PGI is using W/L ratio as part of the formula

It's an indicator of performance, same as every other stat and they know the data is still limited, they say so multiple times.

#37 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,947 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:11 PM

View PostForceUser, on 29 May 2017 - 12:09 PM, said:

It's an indicator of performance, same as every other stat and they know the data is still limited, they say so multiple times.

But the variables involved in W/L ratio go far beyond the mech... individual chassis W/L ratio is a terrible metric for balance

#38 Luminis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:14 PM

View PostVxheous Kerensky, on 29 May 2017 - 12:01 PM, said:

Looks like PGI is going to nerf the best Clan Assault and best Clan Dual Gauss Platform, just in time for the Mad Cat Mk II release. I see what's going on.

Yeah, that thought crossed my mind as well :D

#39 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:16 PM

I don't think it's a coincidence that two mechs that are labeled as overperforming both happen to be able to equip Dual-Gauss+ Dual ER PPC.

50 pinpoint + 10 splash damage, and with range to boot, is just too much.

#40 ForceUser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 894 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:17 PM

View PostBulletsponge0, on 29 May 2017 - 12:11 PM, said:

But the variables involved in W/L ratio go far beyond the mech... individual chassis W/L ratio is a terrible metric for balance

Better mechs carry harder. Just like better pilots carry harder. Someone with a 70% win rate in mech A is a better player than someone with a 30% win rate in mech A and in MWO part of that is build *and* in match performance of both mech and pilot.

Edited by ForceUser, 29 May 2017 - 12:18 PM.

39 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 39 guests, 0 anonymous users