Do You Play Better In Group Que, Or In Solo Que?

Gameplay Metagame

28 replies to this topic

#1 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 09 June 2017 - 01:28 PM

This has been a question that I've been pondering for a good while:

Does you perform better in Solo, or in Group Que?

I know, it's all opinion, but I've noticed that ever since I began playing alone for the last two or three seasons, my stats have improved greatly. May it be the quality of pugs or how the game changed, I'm not too sure. I've found it more easier to figure out the situation on my own and left to my own things as opposed to moving with a semi organized group drop.

So, what's your preference?

#2 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,015 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 09 June 2017 - 01:29 PM

I normally wont go near group que

#3 Dago Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 09 June 2017 - 01:36 PM

I prefer group que but my PSR always goes up when solo and goes down when group dropping with my unit.

It's easier to find unorganized people to whomp on and get your numbers up solo but the uncoordinated cowardly nature of teammates makes it way harder to get any kind of forward momentum.

Edited by Dago Red, 09 June 2017 - 01:57 PM.

#4 Archer Magnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 218 posts
  • LocationFoCo

Posted 09 June 2017 - 01:38 PM

I play better in solo, or I don't seem to care as much. In faction warefare, playing IS PUG is a death with. Since I don't play in a group, the normal group gue dosn't add anything but a wait time.

I am a broken record, I would like another solo que with Drop Decks.

Edited by Archer Magnus, 09 June 2017 - 02:04 PM.

#5 razenWing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 03:38 PM

Long range... Solo

Brawl? Group.

#6 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 09 June 2017 - 03:41 PM

Solo queue by miles. Group queue isn't a very friendly environment for lore builds, and from my experience the average player in group queue is actually capable of hitting my Adder.

#7 Nameless King

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The King
  • The King
  • 692 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 03:43 PM

About the same

#8 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 03:48 PM

You're making the mistake of thinking that your higher scores in solo queue mean you play better than when with team.

Good teamwork with good teammates will see you generally come out much lower on damage & kills dealt than when you are soloing because your good teammates are taking their share and you have to compete.

Good teamplay means you are a better player than someone who just farms the disorganized potato factory that is the solo queue.

#9 Kangarad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 573 posts
  • LocationIn the Mechlab, adding more Double Heatsinks.

Posted 09 June 2017 - 03:49 PM

solo, because theres less coordinated enemys.

#10 Dago Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 09 June 2017 - 03:52 PM

View PostUltimax, on 09 June 2017 - 03:48 PM, said:

You're making the mistake of thinking that your higher scores in solo queue mean you play better than when with team.

Good teamwork with good teammates will see you generally come out much lower on damage & kills dealt than when you are soloing because your good teammates are taking their share and you have to compete.

Good teamplay means you are a better player than someone who just farms the disorganized potato factory that is the solo queue.

Don't recall anyone saying that higher success in solo que was down to anything other than worse competition.

Especially if you've got teammates who constantly drag you up against decent tier 1 units.

#11 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 03:52 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 09 June 2017 - 03:41 PM, said:

Solo queue by miles. Group queue isn't a very friendly environment for lore builds, and from my experience the average player in group queue is actually capable of hitting my Adder.

To be fair, when dropping in group queues I usually have (or am...) the metal shield. Posted Image

#12 QuePan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 109 posts
  • Locationcapital district NY

Posted 09 June 2017 - 04:50 PM

to be honest i get less seal clubbing games in solo , then group , the issue is that how MM works tend to do one sided or over tonnage matches alot , ive seen group drops where i see the same tags on the team but the tonnage doesn't add up for a 12man premade . a well coordinated weight heavy team will steam roll thru a team . most of the time now i group up in smaller groups to make it a better overall experience in my opinion

IMO Match Making in MWO needs serious love , the game needs better overall promotion outside of the community we have in order to grow . ontop of that ive seen new players come from some variety streamers communities on twitch and get over whelmed with the new skill tree and the confusion on how much grind a new player runs into . which fdoesnt help the population and match making either

#13 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 05:07 PM

I would assume the average skill players have is lower in QP therefore just about anyone should do better there. Do more damage, win more games.

#14 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,881 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 05:37 PM

I see better performance when I fly solo than if I group up. What happens for me is I find that groups, even or especially coordinated groups don't conform to my style of play. Basically they tend to limit what I can do or accomplish. Also in coordinated groups trying to support my team in a direct fashion tends to place me in positions where I can't effectively engage the enemy or maybe leaves me too exposed but re-positioning would end up unraveling my team's mission goals and strategy. Kind of a for the greater good sort of thing.

Solo however, I can read the map and position myself according to how I think would be best to support my team and however and wherever required to insure the best possible chance of victory. If I position is no good, I relocate. If I see the enemy flanking, instead of waiting for instructions, I can go deal with the flank. If I see an opportunity I can strike.

I am not saying groups are bad or I don't enjoy being social it is just that I feel I perform better as an independent asset free to contribute where I feel is best.

#15 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 09 June 2017 - 05:53 PM

99% Solo, because I love the chaos and uncertainty, and I like seeing how different people react under pressure. The salt some people farm in the pug wastelands is hilarious.

Groups are fun, but far less forgiving of mistakes. I still like playing there occasionally, because seeing good groups work well and employ actual tactics other than chasing the tail end of the enemy group around various geological features can be really interesting, even in a loss.

#16 Accused

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 989 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:24 PM

Loaded question.

I perform an order of magnitude better in group drops. I know my place, I have a purpose, I pew pew pew. Oftentimes I'll place near if not at the top in kills/damage. It's easy mode. However...

The skills to murder your fellow mechwarrior is honed in solo que. Nobody watching your back, dodging friendly fire, abandoning fellow players to the enemy so you can escape, patiently cycling through the doritos looking for easy kills, calling your own targets, capturing/destroying the base when all looks lost (down by 2), etc etc.

You know what they say about pugs and warhorns after all.

#17 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:40 PM

My group queue stats are consistently better than solo-q. Over 2:1 WLR in GQ as opposed to 1.6:1-ish WLR in SQ.

#18 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,935 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:29 PM

Don't know about the subjective view of my "play" but I do WAY better in solo than group. But I have way more fun in group queue even on a night of consistent loses than I ever have playing solo.

Its a 4v4 or 12v12 game. Playing with friends is just more fun than playing solo, regardless of how you do,

#19 Orville Righteous

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 127 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:40 PM

Solo most of the time.

Group queue can be kind of harsh if you get good teams over and over. I think the people you play with in group queue really matter. If they're all really good, you'll do well. If there are a few weak links, you'll get crushed.

Edited by Orville Righteous, 09 June 2017 - 07:41 PM.

#20 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:39 PM

I can more consistently play my light scout mechs in group queue than in solo queue.

What I mean is that the value of me getting NARCs, really good UAVs and scouting enemy positions and supporting the team in general has been more rewarding in group queue (doesn't matter if it's randos or people I know).

There are many times when I get these scouting things done in solo queue and derpness of passivity occurs until I use up 8000 rounds of AMS ammo, all UAVs and strikes and my team is still cowering behind a hill getting their asses blasted by flanks. Posted Image

It feels the same if I'm just playing a damage dealing role.

Edited by Elizander, 09 June 2017 - 08:41 PM.

17 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users