Rifleman Iic Awareness Thread; After So Many Years It's Finally Here!

BattleMechs

361 replies to this topic

#181 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 February 2018 - 05:31 PM

Wait until the Harmony Gold BS finishes before poking the lion again imo..

#182 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,672 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 07:51 PM

Well HG doesn’t have the rights to the Clan Version of the Rifleman since it doesn’t follow the Robotech version. Mind you, these are the same idiots who compared a Locust to an Officer Pod and an Atlas to an Armored Valkyrie.

#183 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:19 PM

View PostSamial, on 10 February 2018 - 05:31 PM, said:

Wait until the Harmony Gold BS finishes before poking the lion again imo..

Harmony Gold owns no rights over the original Rifleman IIC artwork. That goes to Victor Musical Industries. It was FASA who threw the mech into the unseen category, because they didn't want to risk future lawsuits from imported mech artwork originating from Japan. I'm not sure if the Rifleman IIC was the only mech who got the unseen treatment that follows this rule, since from what I have seen it is the only unseen mech that looks nothing like the destroid defender or anything from Macross.

#184 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:02 AM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 10 February 2018 - 08:19 PM, said:

Harmony Gold owns no rights over the original Rifleman IIC artwork. That goes to Victor Musical Industries. It was FASA who threw the mech into the unseen category, because they didn't want to risk future lawsuits from imported mech artwork originating from Japan. I'm not sure if the Rifleman IIC was the only mech who got the unseen treatment that follows this rule, since from what I have seen it is the only unseen mech that looks nothing like the destroid defender or anything from Macross.

Rifleman IIC in Battletech is just reused Rifleman redesign from the Japanese version of Mechwarrior 1. If you took the MW:O Rifleman and called it a Musketman, it wouldn't change anything for Harmony Gold since it's still a redesign of something they claim is theirs.Same thing with Rifleman IIC. It's a Rifleman redesign for the Mechwarrior games, it doesn't make it any more legal in their eyes than any other redesign from MW:O, MW2 or what have you.

#185 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:19 AM

View PostWill9761, on 10 February 2018 - 07:51 PM, said:

Well HG doesn’t have the rights to the Clan Version of the Rifleman since it doesn’t follow the Robotech version. Mind you, these are the same idiots who compared a Locust to an Officer Pod and an Atlas to an Armored Valkyrie.

They are complaining about mechs that aren't even Robotech basis at all in their court case do we really need another look alike in here pissing them off even more...

#186 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:12 AM

View PostAdridos, on 11 February 2018 - 05:02 AM, said:

Rifleman IIC in Battletech is just reused Rifleman redesign from the Japanese version of Mechwarrior 1. If you took the MW:O Rifleman and called it a Musketman, it wouldn't change anything for Harmony Gold since it's still a redesign of something they claim is theirs.Same thing with Rifleman IIC. It's a Rifleman redesign for the Mechwarrior games, it doesn't make it any more legal in their eyes than any other redesign from MW:O, MW2 or what have you.

Yes, I'm well aware that the origins of the Rifleman IIC was indeed a redesign for the japanese version of Mechwarrior 1. It was featured on the box as artwork, and also an attempt to make the mechs a little more "anime" in the hopes to appealing more to a broader audience over in Japan.

As far as Harmony Gold goes, they are nothing more than the stupid brat back in elementary school that would around on a play ground and claim that everything is "his" from the other kids on the play ground. Really just a bunch of IP trolls that produce aggravation and stress to Macross, Robotech, and Battletech fans alike. It really doesn't shock me that they originate from Los Angeles either.

#187 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:44 AM

View PostSamial, on 11 February 2018 - 05:19 AM, said:

They are complaining about mechs that aren't even Robotech basis at all in their court case do we really need another look alike in here pissing them off even more...

Honestly at this point in time, what little difference does it make? I'll put on my tin foil hat and claim that it was the Marauder IIC that triggered the relaunching of the lawsuit (even though this is clearly speculation and just a personal theory). Back when the IS Marauder was announced when PGI was doing a town hall, one of the questions about the unseens was asked because of all of the legal mumbo jumbo. Russ Bullock stated "We will stand by our products and we are ready to defend it by any legal means necessary" (this isn't the exact quote from the town hall but it was something similar).

That was enough to sell me on a chassis I have really to no personal interest in. I could honestly care less about the IS Marauder, but the return of the unseens and the confidence from Russ was more than enough to sell me on the chassis and gave me some hope for the future of MW:O. This was my way of saying "Yes, please keep adding more classic mechs to the game" since I think PGI was out of the radar at that time.

Just like Will said, these are the same people who compared the "Locust to an Officer Pod and an Atlas to an Armored Valkyrie". Even though I am not a lawyer nor do I study law, I honestly don't believe that the Rifleman IIC would have a significant impact on the court trial. It might be better in reality to play it safe and just wait until September 2018, but until then as a customer that means I'll wait as well.

It sucks for PGI and it especially sucks for us, but anything can happen until that date. That's what I'm hoping for at least.

#188 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 11 February 2018 - 12:45 PM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 11 February 2018 - 09:12 AM, said:

It was featured on the box as artwork, and also an attempt to make the mechs a little more "anime" in the hopes to appealing more to a broader audience over in Japan.

You have it backwards, mate. They made designs that were less "anime". Rifleman is a design from the Macross anime. Rifleman IIC is a video game redesign of that to fit a video game instead of an anime.

Posted Image

VS

Posted Image

And the mech on the box-art is the Battlemaster. The other mechs are all playable in the game, they're not just random artwork.

Edited by Adridos, 12 February 2018 - 03:26 PM.

#189 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:04 PM

For it to be decent or viable it would have to lose or reduce the size of the giant round hat.

#190 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:18 PM

View Posttker 669, on 11 February 2018 - 01:04 PM, said:

For it to be decent or viable it would have to lose or reduce the size of the giant round hat.

We've discussed this topic earlier in the thread a few pages back. If PGI goes with the reseen design it will be scaled down. If they go for an unseen redesign approach, the radar disc will most likely will be flattened and will probably be included in the side torso hit boxes to significantly reduce the size of the head hit boxes. See the Warhawk hit box diagram as an example.

I hope PGI does something unique with the radar dish, like make the inner disc inside the dish housing rotate slowly as a real radar device would.

#191 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,672 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 09:19 AM

That would be cool.

#192 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 22 February 2018 - 09:40 AM

The Arcastm disapproves of this thread.

#193 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 09:49 AM

View PostJackalBeast, on 22 February 2018 - 09:40 AM, said:

Get your fat sumo mech out of here.

#194 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,672 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 07:28 PM

With a large amount of 722 votes, I hope that the Rifleman IIC makes it into the game. The whole HG stigma might sideline the mech (I hope it doesn't), but if that fails, at least the Glass Spider can be used as a substitute mech.

#195 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:33 PM

View PostWill9761, on 27 February 2018 - 07:28 PM, said:

With a large amount of 722 votes, I hope that the Rifleman IIC makes it into the game. The whole HG stigma might sideline the mech (I hope it doesn't), but if that fails, at least the Glass Spider can be used as a substitute mech.

Honestly if I had to choose one over the other, I would rather wait until the Rifleman IIC makes it to the game rather than have HG get their way because of a FASA misconception. It's nothing that I have against the Glass Spider (Galahad) mech itself (since it's been proven time after time to be a great mech); It's the simple fact that the Rifleman IIC can do everything that the Glass Spider already does but better. I go into more detail between these mechs earlier on in this thread. I'll repaste a TL:DR here:

1. There are only three canon variants of the Glass Spider in Battletech (a common problem with clan 60 ton mechs)

2. The Rifleman IIC can do everything that a Glass Spider can already do, plus offer more variety for standard packs, collectors pack , and whatever hero they choose for the mech.

3. It's not as well known as the Rifleman IIC, so therefore in return less sales from the nostalgia crowd.

4. Jump Jets and more tonnage compensation for spare ammo, armor, engines, etc.

Someone from a previous thread stated that if both the Glass Spider and the Rifleman IIC were to both make it, there might be a role conflict between the two chases and their overall presence in game.

My personal opinion is that I would like to see both mechs make it to game, but I can wait until 2019 instead of getting a mech that is dependent on PGI gauss rifle charge up time mechanics and/or lack of semi-auto LBX slug ammo switching capabilities. I also doubt that PGI will take a chance with it until either a settlement happens, or until the dust settles with the whole unseen fiasco.

#196 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,672 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 08:22 AM

Sarna has good news for the whole HG crap. Fingers crossed though.

#197 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 10:17 AM

View PostWill9761, on 07 April 2018 - 08:22 AM, said:

Sarna has good news for the whole HG crap. Fingers crossed though.

Nice article. I've been following the while Harmony Gold V. Weisman & PGI thread ever since it was posted. This is also a good thread to follow as well: https://bg.battletec...p?topic=60546.0 since the HBS thread following the court case died a few months back.

#198 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 04:06 PM

View PostJackalBeast, on 22 February 2018 - 09:40 AM, said:

View PostArnold The Governator, on 22 February 2018 - 09:49 AM, said:

Get your fat sumo mech out of here.

Burrock wants to fight you both

#199 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 07 April 2018 - 04:21 PM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 07 April 2018 - 04:06 PM, said:

WRRRYYYY!!

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Incubus
Only true clammers use this mech!

#200 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 04:54 PM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 07 April 2018 - 04:06 PM, said:

Ok. I'll blow it up from a safe distance with my four clan large pulse lasers.

View PostBattlemaster56, on 07 April 2018 - 04:21 PM, said:

WRRRYYYY!!

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Incubus
Only true clammers use this mech!

Shouldn't that thing be "servicing" other stronger and bigger mechs behind the front lines if you get my drift? Posted Image I never understood why the clanners gave it that name. Probably some kinky stuff happened with those bored garrison mechwarriors hence the name.

Edited by Arnold The Governator, 07 April 2018 - 04:55 PM.

24 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 24 guests, 0 anonymous users