Rifleman Iic Awareness Thread; After So Many Years It's Finally Here!

BattleMechs

361 replies to this topic

#321 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 06 February 2019 - 09:49 AM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 05 February 2019 - 06:58 PM, said:

I was kinda confused at first about the 48.6 kmph base speed, but after getting an explanation from Bishop it makes sense now. I'm surprised that they are adding extra hard points in the arms and such, with the addition of AMS but on a mech this slow even after XL engine upgrades it needs it. A good move from PGI imo.

Yeah, lore variants of any mech or going to come in at 48.6, 64.8, 81, 97.2, 113.4, 129.6 etc. There are no chassis with differences (unless there is a quirk which wouldn't be defined on the mech pack page anyway). Speed is always defined by tonnage and engine size.

#322 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 February 2019 - 02:27 PM

Do you think PGI could be convinced to bump the small engine variants cap up to 250 or 260? That way they're still slow but you don't need to mount an external HS automatically.

Edited by TheArisen, 06 February 2019 - 02:28 PM.

#323 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 06 February 2019 - 02:42 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 06 February 2019 - 02:27 PM, said:

Do you think PGI could be convinced to bump the small engine variants cap up to 250 or 260? That way they're still slow but you don't need to mount an external HS automatically.

I think the mech is going to need it or some other kind of compensating alternative. It will either need armor quirks similar to the Annihilator in order to compensate for it's slower speed (so that it doesn't get chewed alive by lights), or it will need a slight engine cap boost so that it will not fall too far in team play. Keep in mind it does have very good hard points, but that might not be enough for it in the long run. Either way I can still still see it being a solid support/solaris mech. I think we need to see the quirks planned for the mech (like the range boost due to the Garret D2J fire control system and such), and if they are none planned then get an engine cap boost so it doesn't become another clan mech collecting dust in a mech bay.

Edited by Arnold The Governator, 06 February 2019 - 02:43 PM.

#324 Mazen Drakhov

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 02:51 PM

I don't get it.

I want to get it. I generally buy any cool-looking preorder, because I like supporting the company.

But man... is this supposed to be a heavily armed turretmech or something? This seems like Nascar bait if I've ever seen it. What's the elevator pitch on this one? Can someone enlighten me please? It looks cool, I'd like to buy it... but damn I don't get it.

#325 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 03:22 PM

View PostMr_Fission, on 06 February 2019 - 02:51 PM, said:

I don't get it.

I want to get it. I generally buy any cool-looking preorder, because I like supporting the company.

But man... is this supposed to be a heavily armed turretmech or something? This seems like Nascar bait if I've ever seen it. What's the elevator pitch on this one? Can someone enlighten me please? It looks cool, I'd like to buy it... but damn I don't get it.

Mechwarrior 2 and how long it has been around in table top are two of the major appeals of the Rifleman IIC. On table top, clan large pulse lasers are something not to be messed with. This thing can alpha them multiple times on table top which made it a force to be reckoned with. The other thing is how jump jets in table top can propel mechs forwards and backwards to help with lower mobility. So you have a clan heavy with high weapon arm mounts with 60% of it's pod space dedicated to weapons, which makes it a pocket assault in a way. The other thing is with 11 tons of ferro armor and running a std engine makes it a hard kill. So you have a clan battlemech with really good armor, high weapon mounts, and can seriously pack a punch on the battlefield.

How the mech will translate to MW:O will be decided if they keep the lower engine ratings in favor of some needed quirks, or if they decide to boost the engine rating before release with very limited quirks due to how clan battlemechs already have a natural advantage over clan Omnimechs. Either way the IIC-2 and the IIC-A are going to be very good mechs even with limited quirks.

#326 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 February 2019 - 05:09 PM

View PostMr_Fission, on 06 February 2019 - 02:51 PM, said:

I don't get it.

As it stands the 2 & the A, the two with reasonable engines, should be very powerful if the hitboxes aren't terrible but then there's the others...

#327 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 01:19 PM

So with Mortal Kombat 11 right around the corner, and my main Kabal was announced ironically right on the same day as the Rifleman IIC was, I decided to poke some fun at the hero since I thought it was lightning streaks until I released it was jelly fish. So have a Raidenman IIC build that follows Raiden's projectile over from Mortal Kombat.

Posted Image

https://mech.nav-alp...b0da8f4_RFL-IIC

Now if only I got a warhorn that yelled "AYYYLEE BABAGAAAAAAA!!!" while flying across the map with jump jets :D

#328 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 07 February 2019 - 02:07 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 06 February 2019 - 02:27 PM, said:

Should be 260 minimum for the gold standard 64.8 kph speed bracket of heavy mechs.

#329 Mazen Drakhov

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 03:31 PM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 06 February 2019 - 03:22 PM, said:

Mechwarrior 2 and how long it has been around in table top are two of the major appeals of the Rifleman IIC. On table top, clan large pulse lasers are something not to be messed with. This thing can alpha them multiple times on table top which made it a force to be reckoned with. The other thing is how jump jets in table top can propel mechs forwards and backwards to help with lower mobility. So you have a clan heavy with high weapon arm mounts with 60% of it's pod space dedicated to weapons, which makes it a pocket assault in a way. The other thing is with 11 tons of ferro armor and running a std engine makes it a hard kill. So you have a clan battlemech with really good armor, high weapon mounts, and can seriously pack a punch on the battlefield.

How the mech will translate to MW:O will be decided if they keep the lower engine ratings in favor of some needed quirks, or if they decide to boost the engine rating before release with very limited quirks due to how clan battlemechs already have a natural advantage over clan Omnimechs. Either way the IIC-2 and the IIC-A are going to be very good mechs even with limited quirks.

Thanks for the explanation! Very informative. :)

I picked up the standard & reinforcements pack. The collector's and Hero packs seemed pointless due to the speed being too low.

#330 Grus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 03:33 PM

View PostJackal Noble, on 05 February 2019 - 02:39 PM, said:

Have you been hiding under a rock? I mean being that I know you are all about the SR, I find it hard to believe you haven't seen jjm1's rendition. Ironically enough, I've never seen whatever that other pic is supposed to be.

Been busy getting a new contract set up. Better hours, more pay, less bs.

#331 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 04:37 PM

View PostMr_Fission, on 11 February 2019 - 03:31 PM, said:

Thanks for the explanation! Very informative. Posted Image

I picked up the standard & reinforcements pack. The collector's and Hero packs seemed pointless due to the speed being too low.

You're very welcome. I picked up the collector's edition and reinforcements pack mainly because I wanted the bonus C-Bill variant and the extra color scheme. The (S), 2 and A are most likely going to be my go-to mechs. Until we see the quirks on the other variants, they might not be that useless depending on what PGI has planned for the slower mechs.

#332 LT. HARDCASE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:12 PM

View PostAbaddun, on 06 February 2019 - 09:34 AM, said:

Yeah, very unlikely it's going to get armour quirks, but it's not going to need them with those high mounts. Never underestimate the power of high mounts.

The torso hitbox above its head is higher than those mounts. Never underestimate the crippling effect of bad hitboxes.

#333 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 16 February 2019 - 06:11 PM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 05 February 2019 - 06:58 PM, said:

Yeah I'll update the title.

I was kinda confused at first about the 48.6 kmph base speed, but after getting an explanation from Bishop it makes sense now. I'm surprised that they are adding extra hard points in the arms and such, with the addition of AMS but on a mech this slow even after XL engine upgrades it needs it. A good move from PGI imo.

Just happy you finally go your Raiden Hatted Wonder Machine man.

I might not spend much time around here anymore due to hardware and toxic arsehat reasons, but always happy anytime people get something they've really been wanting. Heck even was happy for Impy. *shrugs*

View PostFupDup, on 07 February 2019 - 02:07 PM, said:

Should be 260 minimum for the gold standard 64.8 kph speed bracket of heavy mechs.

Have to agree. Was a time I might have thought that JJs would help with slower mechs. But then Paul's "Poptart Fix" ensured JJs would suck balls forever more, so yeah...... No heavy should have an engine cap below a 4/6, no Medium below a 5/8 and no light below a 6/9 (obviously 3/5 for Assaults)

#334 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:17 PM

It just need urbanmech treatment and just have the engine cap increased. If PGI had followed the rules on the Urbanmech that mech would have been running around at like 48 kph tops give or take. The reality is that, just as with the Urbanmech, fun needs to take precedence over the rule set.

Now I am not saying give them all all a 315 engine cap but seriously, they should allow AT LEAST a 260 engine cap so they can be up-engined to at least the same base speed as the original IS Rifleman.

#335 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:58 PM

View PostAngel of Annihilation, on 16 February 2019 - 09:17 PM, said:

It just need urbanmech treatment and just have the engine cap increased. If PGI had followed the rules on the Urbanmech that mech would have been running around at like 48 kph tops give or take. The reality is that, just as with the Urbanmech, fun needs to take precedence over the rule set.

Now I am not saying give them all all a 315 engine cap but seriously, they should allow AT LEAST a 260 engine cap so they can be up-engined to at least the same base speed as the original IS Rifleman.

Yeah I agree. While the 1, 3, 4, and the hero has a 235 clan XL engine cap, with speed tweak it would be a max speed of 63 kmph. While that is only 1.8 kmph slower than the Nova Cat and Night Gyr, I would at least like each of those lower engine capped Rifleman IIC variants to at least match the standard 64.8 kmph speeds of most heavies.

If the Rifleman IIC doesn't get the increased range quirks like the original IS Rifleman for whatever reason (due to the Garret D2J fire control systems integrated in both mechs, which it probably will get), then it would be nice to see a slight engine cap increase. I know for a fact that it should have a sensor range boost beasue of the radar dish (similar to the cyclops), but I don't see how it would be overpowered if the mech could at least match the standard speed of 64.8 kmph. I think I'll make another tweet asking if Russ could give it a slight engine cap boost after I see what PGI has planned for its quirks.

Here's to hoping that it doesn't get lackluster quirks (I really feel for you Warhammer IIC fans out there that got shafted).

Edited by Arnold The Governator, 16 February 2019 - 10:03 PM.

#336 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 17 February 2019 - 04:07 AM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 16 February 2019 - 09:58 PM, said:

Yeah I agree. While the 1, 3, 4, and the hero has a 235 clan XL engine cap, with speed tweak it would be a max speed of 63 kmph. While that is only 1.8 kmph slower than the Nova Cat and Night Gyr, I would at least like each of those lower engine capped Rifleman IIC variants to at least match the standard 64.8 kmph speeds of most heavies.

If the Rifleman IIC doesn't get the increased range quirks like the original IS Rifleman for whatever reason (due to the Garret D2J fire control systems integrated in both mechs, which it probably will get), then it would be nice to see a slight engine cap increase. I know for a fact that it should have a sensor range boost beasue of the radar dish (similar to the cyclops), but I don't see how it would be overpowered if the mech could at least match the standard speed of 64.8 kmph. I think I'll make another tweet asking if Russ could give it a slight engine cap boost after I see what PGI has planned for its quirks.

Here's to hoping that it doesn't get lackluster quirks (I really feel for you Warhammer IIC fans out there that got shafted).

Even being slow though, I do expect this to get turned into a Poptart platform. Thankfully while not near as prominent as in 2013-early 2014, I have noticed a bit of a return, at least when dropping against comp units, and with JJs and high mounted arms? I think this will be a natural to slap a pair of ERPPC into and go pogo-sticking.... which doesn't require it to be as high speed, in many cases.

I do wonder if that potential is part of why they are hesitant with the engine? Which... sucks, at least for the 95% of folks who don't give a crap about poptarting, and just want more versatility in play for their Gundam.

Is it a MetaMech? Probably not.... but a couple of these bouncing around in the enemy second line would have some obnoxious potential, I suppose RFL-IIC

or more "team friendly" RFL-IIC Definitely will outdo the SummonerTart.

But even if it did see some "abuse" in that role, still sucks for everyone else, who just wants a fun robot.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 17 February 2019 - 04:20 AM.

#337 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 17 February 2019 - 04:15 AM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 07 February 2019 - 01:19 PM, said:

So with Mortal Kombat 11 right around the corner, and my main Kabal was announced ironically right on the same day as the Rifleman IIC was, I decided to poke some fun at the hero since I thought it was lightning streaks until I released it was jelly fish. So have a Raidenman IIC build that follows Raiden's projectile over from Mortal Kombat.

Posted Image

https://mech.nav-alp...b0da8f4_RFL-IIC

Now if only I got a warhorn that yelled "AYYYLEE BABAGAAAAAAA!!!" while flying across the map with jump jets Posted Image

#338 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 08:27 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 17 February 2019 - 04:07 AM, said:

I do wonder if that potential is part of why they are hesitant with the engine? Which... sucks, at least for the 95% of folks who don't give a crap about poptarting, and just want more versatility in play for their Gundam.

Is it a MetaMech? Probably not.... but a couple of these bouncing around in the enemy second line would have some obnoxious potential, I suppose RFL-IIC

or more "team friendly" RFL-IIC Definitely will outdo the SummonerTart.

But even if it did see some "abuse" in that role, still sucks for everyone else, who just wants a fun robot.

Probably because PGI is afraid of mechs with meta potential that have high hard point locations. So the balance overlords took it upon themselves to slap the abysmal 235 XL engine cap to compensate for the high mounts. Personally it doesn't bother me that much, because we will be getting the IIC-2 and the IIC-A which will have the 315 engine cap. On top of that I've learned to play slower monsters like the Kodiak 3 (which is still my go-to ballistic clan assault for event challenges). I forgot what engine I threw in that thing off hand, but I know it's slugging around at 51.8 kmph at the moment.

As for meta mechs, the IIC-2 will probably be a go-to Solaris pick, and I can see most of the RFL-IIC variants being a popular choice for FP in defensive situations where running speed isn't a factor. I would still like to see the RFL-IIC across the 1,3,4 and the hero get a slight engine bump increase, but I'm going to reserve judgement until I see the quirks. Regardless of quirks I don't think a 64.8 kmph capable mech with high hard points will be shaking the meta up anytime soon (I'm looking at you Hellbringer).

Edited by Arnold The Governator, 17 February 2019 - 08:31 AM.

#339 Mc Dye O Reddy

Rookie

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 12:46 PM

so will this have sensor/range quirks?

#340 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 12:57 PM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 17 February 2019 - 08:27 AM, said:

Probably because PGI is afraid of mechs with meta potential that have high hard point locations. So the balance overlords took it upon themselves to slap the abysmal 235 XL engine cap to compensate for the high mounts. Personally it doesn't bother me that much, because we will be getting the IIC-2 and the IIC-A which will have the 315 engine cap.

That's not what happened at all.

There is a formula that PGI follows (and sometimes exceptions) when it comes to determining engine cap. They take the stock engine size and apply a multiplier to it to get the max engine cap. For Lights, they do 1.4x. For Mediums, it's 1.3x. Heavies and Assaults are 1.2x.

So what's 1.2x of 195? 234, and rounding up to the nearest 5 gets you 235.

Occasionally PGI artificially depresses the cap (Fafnir) and occasionally they artificially inflate it (Annihilator, Bounty Hunter 2, Phoenix Hawk); PGI usually does this when they think the 'Mech is going to suffer without inflation or will be too good if they don't depress it. The RFL-IIC is not likely going to really suffer for its engine cap; speed is not a high priority in the MWO of 2019 and it has way more than enough heatsinks to cool any payload you want to run on it and the hardpoint placement is good.

This 'Mech completely undermines the position currently occupied by the JM6-DD (thanks for those artificially under-armored, gigantic arms PGI) and even threatens the NTG, low engine cap and all.

Edited by Y E O N N E, 24 February 2019 - 12:58 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users