25% Of Your Player Base Evaporated... What Are You Doing About It?

78 replies to this topic

#41 CtrlAltWheee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 610 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:51 PM

I'm here having fun. And light engines are about to make all my IS mechs new again.

I do think PGI can do a few things though. There needs to be an official hub for game mechanics and current values.
1. Explain how crits work in mwo
2. Explain how crit damage works
3. Explain how ecm works
4. Explain how uac jamming works

I've been here years and still don't really understand how some things work. Questions like:
1. How many ticks of damage per second do lasers do? and how it relates to crits.
2. Are the nodes for uac jam, crit receiving, etc multiplicative or additive?

Especially for new players I think this would be helpful. There are some great guides, but it would be nice to have a singular spot with the latest info. Some of the guides are years old and it's not obvious if they've been updated with new values.

#42 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:55 PM

In general I think the game is the best it has been in a long time. Oh sure there are some things I don't like. I don't like the 100 tonners waddling around like 500lb penguins and I am not happy my Marauder IICs are going to get butchered soon and I am really concerned about this Energy Weapons re-balance we are supposed to get this month especially since its not rolled out to the PTS yet for testing and.....well yeah sure there are things I don't like....but overall I am having more fun in the game than I have had in a long time.

#43 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:00 PM

View PostRuar, on 16 June 2017 - 11:41 AM, said:

So much this. Thank you for putting into words I can't.

I have spent more time on the forums since the ST release than I have in the game. Which is surprising since I really enjoy playing the Quickdraw, a new mech for me, but the game just isn't as much fun having to deal with the ST.

Maybe it's my favorite mech pre-ST isn't that much fun anymore. I have over 450 matches in my ENF-4R but I barely play it after the ST release because it just doesn't feel as fun to play. Overheats too fast so I spend more time waiting to cooldown than I do actually fighting. Anyway I redesign the build results in something I don't enjoy.

Regardless, the game just isn't the same since they released the skill tree. Which is good and bad because I'm getting other things done in my life, but I no longer look forward to playing MWO most days.

this is my problem. So many mechs I loved just are plain junk, they have zilch to bring to the table. they aren't even silly LOLBuilds. The whole dragon line comes to mind. I have all of them, I really enjoyed them and now they are terrible once again. All of them. Huginn was fun, not over powered at all, but a joy but its useless now. You can't even use the skill tree to make them even close to what they had with quirks. The quirks didn't make them over powered but they made them fun to play. Probably many other mechs I can't even think of in the same boat, mostly IS mechs.

#44 Burke IV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:35 PM

Ever sinse the ST its that much harder to carry. Its a direct nerf to ammo weapons and LRMs especially and my particular build is unlikely to ever get more than 3 kills in any game due to ammo and yet i get the same sort of damage per game after the tree as before. In general it just feels much less fun to play now. The thing about boating LRMs with no backup weapons i feel for the first time is now true. Everybody is armoured up so 2 a couple of med lasers does next to notihng. I dont know if the reg issues i read about are affecting my perception but i havnt noticed them. You might aswell just boat as many lasers as you can or what ever you weapon of choice is. Its been going wrong ever sinse they changed the map imo.

#45 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:48 PM

View PostBurke IV, on 16 June 2017 - 04:35 PM, said:

Ever sinse the ST its that much harder to carry. Its a direct nerf to ammo weapons and LRMs especially and my particular build is unlikely to ever get more than 3 kills in any game due to ammo and yet i get the same sort of damage per game after the tree as before. In general it just feels much less fun to play now. The thing about boating LRMs with no backup weapons i feel for the first time is now true. Everybody is armoured up so 2 a couple of med lasers does next to notihng. I dont know if the reg issues i read about are affecting my perception but i havnt noticed them. You might aswell just boat as many lasers as you can or what ever you weapon of choice is. Its been going wrong ever sinse they changed the map imo.

Packing nothing but lasers has been the norm for a long time. ST didnt change that. That has always been part of the meta and will continue until they make a real heat scale.

#46 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:01 PM

These threads are always hilarious.

People see small fluctuations in numbers and attribute it to one thing and one thing only - DOOOOOOOOM. Please don't get a job in data analysis.

#47 J0anna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 939 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:14 PM

View PostKendricke, on 16 June 2017 - 11:30 AM, said:

Another concept I like to bring up is or "analysis paralysis". If I have to choose between two outcomes, I have an even shot at making the right choice (as opposed to the wrong choice). If neither choice is "bad", but rather just different, even better. I'm much more likely to choose when I'm less worried about making a bad choice. If you give me 5 choices, but only one is the "right" choice, then I'm much less likely to want to take the plunge - because while I have a 20% shot at making a good choice, I have a 400% greater chance at making the wrong (or at least not ideal) choice. If I DO make a mistake because the UI is less than perfect or the system allows for bigger mistakes (like spending more on slots than the mech has available, etc), then I'm going to feel pretty crappy about having to pay a "stupidity tax". This adds to the friction of the process and increases the chances I'm just going to say "F it" and move to a different way to spend my time on that particular night.

While I certainly understand if people have more things to do being that the northern hemisphere is entering summer time. This was a misconception that I had too.

I'm not a big fan of having to choose 91 skills out of 240, and do think it could have been done with less SP and skills to choose. But this thought , that there is a "correct choice" and other choices are "wrong", is false. What "works" for me doesn't necessarily work for someone else. I prefer more mobility, so probably spend a few more points in agility than others - that's not 'wrong', it's the way I want to play the mech. Besides, does anyone really think having one less cooldown node on your mech vice the 'ideal' build is going to cripple your setup? Maybe I want to twist faster to spread the damage better and am willing to 'suffer' the 0.6% less cooldown.

The more I play with the skill tree, the more convinced I am there is no one 'perfect' build. Sure there's good builds and bad builds - just like there are good weapon setups and bad weapon setups, but there's a lot more 'gray' and a lot less 'black and white'. So experiment, pick one mech and get it to what you want. Make it play the way you want. It's probably fine.

PGI basically rolled back MWO. Mechs move slower, shoot slower, overheat faster, but have become more tankier. Everyone who complained about TTK (not me at all), should be positively orgasmic over these changes. Sure my favorite mech is worse than before the ST - but so is everyone else, get used to it or don't - it's a done deal. PGI made their decision, now we can make ours. Besides, I'm hoping the new weapons drop TTK down significantly, that's right I want to be able to kill mechs very quickly, maybe they will or maybe they won't. They've made it very clear to all of us over the years, that this is their game, not ours, they do not care what we "think", they will do whatever they want, whenever they want. Our choice is to play it using their rules or not.

#48 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,715 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:32 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 16 June 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

Nobody who really likes this game is quitting over the skill tree. The only people quitting over the skill tree are the "old dogs" who lack the brainpower to chose skills. They can only function if their skills are forced upon them with no choice in the matter.

That way they don't have to worry about somebody "out-mechlabbing" them. The fear is real... So is the driveling.

Hey watch it sonny, I'm one of the grizzled old dawgs.
And I love the skill tree.
Damn youngins.
Posted Image

#49 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:46 PM

View PostNovakaine, on 16 June 2017 - 05:32 PM, said:

Hey watch it sonny, I'm one of the grizzled old dawgs.
And I love the skill tree.
Damn youngins.
Posted Image

Honestly Nova I think he was referring to the other people, a generalization if you will. There are other people out there, younger, who also hate the Skill Tree and are leaving because of it.

#50 Ruar

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:55 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 16 June 2017 - 05:46 PM, said:

Honestly Nova I think he was referring to the other people, a generalization if you will. There are other people out there, younger, who also hate the Skill Tree and are leaving because of it.

I think it was just an insult because he's immature and would rather try to tear people down instead of provide a reasonable, thought out response.

#51 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 16 June 2017 - 06:02 PM

View PostRuar, on 16 June 2017 - 05:55 PM, said:

I think it was just an insult because he's immature and would rather try to tear people down instead of provide a reasonable, thought out response.

Probably was. Too much of a rage response however. Shouldn't target a group of people either....

cause there's always someone in there that doesn't fit the bill.

#52 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:37 PM

View PostJman5, on 16 June 2017 - 10:54 AM, said:

Right, because comparing data from a season that's only half way over to a complete season is logical.

You know I have this exercise app on my phone that counts steps and they're having some event this month to get 200,000 steps. In it they list the number of participants. I've noticed that every day thousands of new people join the event.

I promise you, Season 12 will be higher than 25,000 by the end of the month.

So just to re-iterate my point. I wrote this about 8 hours ago. Since then the leaderboard has gone from 25,370 people to 25,624 people. About 250 more people than before.

Now I would be surprised if we hit population numbers that match last month. We hit peak numbers we haven't seen in a year. However, I don't think you should count the season numbers until it ends.

#53 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,086 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:46 PM

Summer for seasonal workers is when most their income is made. Play a game or make enough cash to make it a few months more? Screw the game, I got money to make.

#54 Beaching Betty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 710 posts
  • Location-

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:35 PM

I play the game daily cause I have no life.

Just saying cause I want to contribute something to this post too.

#55 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,924 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 12:16 AM

anyone who dropped because of the skill tree is an idiot. im getting the same feelings from the st as i did when phase 4 hit fp. things are going in the right way.

#56 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 01:58 AM

Matchmaking was long for me yesterday. Too long, which is indicative of not having enough players. After a few games my patience gave in and I decided to give it up and go play another game.

#57 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:11 AM

Your answer is: nerfing lasers, light mechs, and LRM's

Posted Image

#58 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:22 AM

View Postcazidin, on 16 June 2017 - 10:34 AM, said:

...What, exactly, do you think PGI can do?

Stop milking people with MechPaksTM and actually make a decent game?

#59 LORD ORION

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:48 AM

View PostThe Jerol, on 16 June 2017 - 10:31 AM, said:

25% Of Your Player Base Evaporated... What Are You Doing About It?

Working on the other 75% apparently...

#60 Burke IV

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:23 AM

hmmm so iv actually read the patch notes now. Apparently streamed LRMs wernt dead enough and needed even more heat. The whole patch comes over as a great big gobble for the comps tbh. Lets hope PGIs chosen are enough to keep the game afloat. Truth is i could probably still play with the extra heat in the exact same build, but im not going to struggle on with more nerfs to my play style. Nobody cared about streamed 5 PGI, AMS gobbles them up before they even connect with yoru target anyway. Extremely unintellegent.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users