Mechwarrior Online Townhall June 23Rd

211 replies to this topic

#141 John Stryker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 05:52 AM

Are there any plans to improve the matchmaker so players have less chance of going 1-19 in an evening?

#142 Kael Posavatz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 971 posts
  • LocationOn a quest to find the Star League

Posted 24 June 2017 - 08:42 AM

View PostPihoqahiak, on 24 June 2017 - 02:16 AM, said:

I doubt they would be able to bet MC. Gambling anything that was purchased (or able to be purchased because they will have to prove you didn't buy the MC, or even C-Bills for that matter) causes a LOT of legal problems for online games.

Since you can purchase c-bills...

#143 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 June 2017 - 08:53 AM

View PostPihoqahiak, on 24 June 2017 - 01:25 AM, said:

That probably depends on the year. The 3058 Tech Readout states "Strangely enough the only Crusader Clan known to
field a handful of Kodiaks is Clan Ice Hellion". Since they have flavor text for the mech in that Tech Readout up through 3063, I would think that it applies at least until that time frame. It still seems weird to me that PGI decided to use the Spirit Bear Hero mech from this same Tech Readout. It was a Kodiak that was gained as battlefield salvage in 3063 by Clan Nova Cat pilot Star Captain Caden.

It'd be nice if they threw in some mech history and variant info into the game, even if they had to take some liberties for the sake of balancing incentivized mechs in MWO. Some sort of semblance of Battletech, beyond the fact that we use its mechs, would be a big step in creating some more interesting situations in FP and give the banners some badly needed personality.

#144 shameless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 491 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 12:30 PM

Am I willing to pay for Solaris? Hell no.

Reason 1) Per Russ, you chose that over adding the Piranha
Reason 2-12) You chose that over the Piranha.
Reason 13) you don't play your own game, and then tell us, the players how to best balance it...

#145 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,659 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 24 June 2017 - 03:42 PM

View PostJohn Stryker, on 24 June 2017 - 05:52 AM, said:

Are there any plans to improve the matchmaker so players have less chance of going 1-19 in an evening?

Play most assaults. Your record indicates you break even or ahead on kills but win/loss is in the negative except for when you are in an assault.

It is a team game where you are 1/12 of the equation. For you you are a bigger part of the equation when you are in an assault. For myself, I do well as light/medium, rarely play heavies and some assault. That is likely due to high usage of heavies so I go for the other classes.

I play either FP or QP-solo. And I am an old man, seriously Posted Image On the downside of half century ROFL.. that is so funny to type it out!!

See!!! PSR is an experience bar.. I have the experience....!!!

/another shot please!!

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 24 June 2017 - 03:46 PM.

#146 naterist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:26 PM

[color=#333333]if it was hbs asking us to trust them on a preoredered feature, i think id hands down say yes.[/color][color=#333333] [/color]

[color=#333333]with pgi... id like to, since its a cool feature but.... idk. russ is right when he says theyve always pulled through on preordered stuff, yet.... its hard to say. lotta trust lost there pgi. not sure if id be interested in preordering solaris until fw is brought on track since that was a prior, unfulfilled first promise. it STILL isnt beyind a skeleton of what it should/could be. if it was preordering a non-barebones version of faction play, then ya sure, id do it in a heartbeat, but solaris? na.[/color]

#147 KingKickAss85

• Pip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 15 posts
  • LocationJamestown, North Dakota

Posted 24 June 2017 - 07:44 PM

So between the skill tree, the energy re-balancing debacle and now a pay 2 play Solaris tournament possibility, it seems that PGI's current thinking is rather than try and please the greatest amount of players (always gonna be non-pleasers), why not just piss them all off?

That'll solve your flagging mech pack sales, cause no one will be left playing. Then you can just shutter the desecrated corpse of this once great game.

#148 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:13 PM

So Russ says no plans for low / 0 gravity? I think that is a lazy cop-out, especially since it was able to be done in Ghost Bear's Legacy in 1995:

#149 ADI84000

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 02:49 AM

solaris f2p with no entry required and with ladder and special bonus win reward and win streak reward the more wins the more the bonus for wins rises and when someone kills u and ure on a streak they get ure bonus and the first 10 pilots on the ladder get mc or something each day or per atack phase like in fp
and make 1 v 1 2 v2 3 v3 4 v4 and free for all 8 players and also make battle royale mode
and have powerups on the map like refill ure ammo and refill ure coolshots also make it so if u win vs a mech that has more tonnage u get bonuses for winning else everyone is gonna play heavies and assaults at 1 v 1

#150 Unnatural Growth

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 05:50 AM

Just reading the transcription of the town hall. This one gave me goose bumps, and NOT the good kind:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Are we going to get a new social lobby? Something like MSN Gaming Zone?
Russ: Totally gutting out the social lobby and doing something else is really difficult. Floating chat is an example of an incremental improvement. Changing things drastically is not feasible. Who thought MWO would be going 6 years strong when we started dev? There are a handful of NA F2P games that have done that.
NGNG: How about the group menu? You have to click social tab, click ready, then it's not persistent? How about a one-click ready?
Russ: Sounds wonderful.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bolded and italicized print is my emphasis.

Are you ******** me? They didn't think the game would go 6 years, from INITIAL DEVELOPMENT??!!

WTF?

Maybe that explains why they've just been crapping this thing together all along, instead of actually developing a premier level game?

Wanna buy a mech pack?

Posted Image

How about now?

Posted Image

#151 Ripper X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 343 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:00 AM

View PostOldOrgandonor, on 25 June 2017 - 05:50 AM, said:

Just reading the transcription of the town hall. This one gave me goose bumps, and NOT the good kind:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Russ: Totally gutting out the social lobby and doing something else is really difficult. Floating chat is an example of an incremental improvement. Changing things drastically is not feasible. Who thought MWO would be going 6 years strong when we started dev? There are a handful of NA F2P games that have done that.
NGNG: How about the group menu? You have to click social tab, click ready, then it's not persistent? How about a one-click ready?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you ******** me? They didn't think the game would go 6 years, from INITIAL DEVELOPMENT??!!

WTF?

Maybe that explains why they've just been crapping this thing together all along, instead of actually developing a premier level game?

Wanna buy a mech pack?

Posted Image

How about now?

Posted Image

You are forgetting that IGP was running things in the beginning. Future of MWO was in doubt.

#152 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:43 AM

The Solaris concept he touched on sounds interesting and I'd happily support it IF FP received some criticalimprovements made before we wait another year for a game mode. I'm not asking for anything mind blowingly huge for FP, but some adding some flavor to the factions with concepts like incentivizing Faction Specific Mechs and greater meaning to conquering planets, or even just a more robust system of planet conquering itself would at least engage the player base on some level beyond endless shooting and dot collecting.

Give us 2 things before you shift massive effort away from improving FP:
1. Faction Specific Mechs and Faction Character: Encourage each faction to use different sets of mechs. Keep it lore based when possible, and if necessary, take a few liberties for the sake of balancing available mech line ups. The Factions NEED something that make them interesting or gives them some sort of political slant. Players NEED some sort of attachment to feel their effort is contributing to a greater cause.

2. Faction Play Politics and Objectives: Give us a reason (albeit artificial) to want to fight and die for our banner's goals, values and philosophies! Give us objectives and rewards like capturing a specific planet to receive increased c-bill rewards that last for a few days as a prize! Make the loss of key planets result in decreased pay outs for certain types chassis (using the Faction Specific Mechs models). Making the mode more politically and financially dynamic with effects that impact for a few days at a time. Give mercs a chance to make extra cash by helping the side that's losing "facilities" by incentivizing attempts to regain high priority planets or regions!

The excitement for the Solaris concept thrives on players' nostalgia and sense of pride and reputation and chance for gains within a given system. Use those core principles on the FP map to create that emotional investment that people have been begging and hoping for since those early pre-beta videos came out! Reward Davions for using their AC heavy designs, Kuritans for using their faster chassis, let Ghost Bears earn more for using the mechs they developed and implemented most! Let us fight to take away those better payouts from them and take them for ourselves. Give us information as to what each faction is fighting for and their ethical code and values, their battlefield philosophy so we can join a clan that matches our own way of thinking or encourages us to use strategies specific to that faction's battlefield tactics!

There is so much that can be done with just adding personality to existing factions. Just deliver on that before jumping into the next game mode!

#153 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,659 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:49 AM

Russ said at a time or two that they had have met certain criteria to renew their license each time. The next license renewal is mid-2018. That is likely one of the reasons (and/or criteria) they are working on MW5. To get it out and be flush with funds then decide whether or not to renew the license. If PGI does decide and are able to renew the license then MW5 provides a platform for DLC. As for MWO, who really knows but PGI?

MW5 could provide the platform as the combat engine to move MWO to Unreal. But it also comes down to the financials. How to continue the monetization of the IP in this venue while trying to continue building confidence with the community, to continue to get them to buy into the IP?

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 25 June 2017 - 08:58 AM.

#154 Ripper X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 343 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:21 AM

Previous poster mentioned he read a transcript of the town hall meeting. I've looked around and couldn't find anything. Anyone know where I could find it?

#155 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 12:33 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 25 June 2017 - 08:49 AM, said:

Russ said at a time or two that they had have met certain criteria to renew their license each time. The next license renewal is mid-2018. That is likely one of the reasons (and/or criteria) they are working on MW5. To get it out and be flush with funds then decide whether or not to renew the license. If PGI does decide and are able to renew the license then MW5 provides a platform for DLC. As for MWO, who really knows but PGI?

MW5 could provide the platform as the combat engine to move MWO to Unreal. But it also comes down to the financials. How to continue the monetization of the IP in this venue while trying to continue building confidence with the community, to continue to get them to buy into the IP?

MWO was made because they could not get enough money up front to make MW5, so MWO was basically a vehicle to fund MW5. Also, I may be wrong, but I remember reading that HBS was able to work something out with the IP license so PGI does not have to worry about it as much.

Also, all they will need is for MW5 is to have a co-op multiplayer mode that ties into the game like in Mass Effect Andromeda.

Edited by Ed Steele, 25 June 2017 - 12:36 PM.

#156 Unnatural Growth

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 12:36 PM

View PostRipper X, on 25 June 2017 - 09:21 AM, said:

Previous poster mentioned he read a transcript of the town hall meeting. I've looked around and couldn't find anything. Anyone know where I could find it?

Here you go:

https://www.reddit.c...all_transcript/

#157 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,659 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 01:48 PM

View PostOldOrgandonor, on 25 June 2017 - 05:50 AM, said:

WTF?

Wanna buy a mech pack?

Posted Image

How about now?

Posted Image

There are a few other games that did not have expectations of making it. When Everquest went live March 16, 1999 the Everquest team had not expected it to last more than three years (iirc).

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 25 June 2017 - 01:52 PM.

#158 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 03:29 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 25 June 2017 - 01:48 PM, said:

There are a few other games that did not have expectations of making it. When Everquest went live March 16, 1999 the Everquest team had not expected it to last more than three years (iirc).

It helped that programmers from ID software joined the EQ team, that got allot of Doom / Quake players to check it out.

#159 Fox the Apprentice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 05:48 PM

I know I'm probably in the minority, but I really don't have any interest in Solaris (even if it were done properly).
Is there a poll up regarding this? I didn't see one, but I didn't look very hard.

#160 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 05:53 PM

View PostFox the Apprentice, on 25 June 2017 - 05:48 PM, said:

I know I'm probably in the minority, but I really don't have any interest in Solaris (even if it were done properly).
Is there a poll up regarding this? I didn't see one, but I didn't look very hard.

I would love to see Solaris done properly as it would be great for casual-competitives. As long as it does not take away from the further refinement of the core of MWO and as long as they have George Ledoux as the announcer, it will be great. They do need to have Melee combat and real collisions / knockdowns if they want to do it right.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users