Frozen City Is An Unfortunately Unfun Map ... And How To Fix It

48 replies to this topic

#1 waterfowl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:36 PM

frozen city 1.0 was a great brawling map with multiple lanes.

frozen city 2.0 is primarily a sniping map with no cover for brawlers and brawlets. For whatever reason the center of the map is a giant open area with no cover. The "city" is only located at the spawns. To get to the other team you have to walk in the open and get LRM'd and sniped to death, so teams just sit in their spawns and plink each other, until one team is crippled. It becomes especially egregious in the domination game mode. Why put an objective in an area with no cover? I don't want to sound harsh, but it feels like very little thought is put into what makes a map fun to play on. I've created my fair share of games and know how tricky it can be ... but it seriously feels like they just tried to make maps that look cool, rather than designing something dynamic and enjoyable.

Meanwhile, no matter what game mode it is, brawlers sit around with their {Richard Cameron} in their hands.

The solution is pretty simple. Add some highrise buildings to the center of the map. Make the city a place for fighting rather than a set piece you look at when you spawn.

PGI, this really needs to happen. If nobody can get around to it, give me your map editor and I'll do it for $5 an hour. I know how to keep poly counts below a certain # Posted Image

Edited by waterfowl, 11 July 2017 - 01:41 PM.

#2 Athom83

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:46 PM

Alternative options;
Squish the two "halves" of the map together. Removing the valley from the field. Adjustments to points and such will make the tunnel and other side of the map useful again and see more traffic around that giant pillar/plateau.

Make the valley far deeper, like a pit. Seriously, make it like the tectonic plates pulled apart violently in the past. In return, you could make larger suspension bridges and possibly tunnels bridging the two sides. Like the tubes in Bioshock.
Spoiler

#3 ocular tb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 543 posts
  • LocationCaught Somewhere in Time

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:53 PM

I'd be okay with leaving it as it is if they brought back the originals.

#4 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:25 PM

Most maps punish slow brawler. The solution... if you're brawly, don't be slow. A medium or heavythat clears 80 kph has no issue on Frozen City. It's only the 50 to 60 kph bots that can't be bothered to go the long way around.

#5 Alexander of Macedon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:34 PM

They just need to bring back the old Frozen City. I never understood why it was reworked to begin with.

#6 Zenthious

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 36 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:48 PM

I'd rather they spent time making about 5 more new maps then spend time altering Frozen City again. If there is one thing that this game lacks at this point, it's a diversity of maps. 20 maps and 9 modes is a tad small considering how long this game has been in production.

#7 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:30 PM

I wish they would remove the excessively large open area in the middle of the map. Just make Frozen City...here it comes...a City. I mean the best times I have on that map are when we are brawling in the buildings and it isn't like all the buildings are so close together that long ranged mechs or LRM Boats can't have the day of glory either.

#8 FireStoat

• The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:47 PM

Right now Emerald Bog and Forest Colony are the two worst maps in the game because you have a flat 50% chance of having crap vision due to a mix of twilight / fog. Which means you're using an optics mode of some sort, which means orange smoke is invisible.

The team with the most arty / air strikes wins. Great skill, much excitement.

#9 SilentWolff

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationNew Las Vegas

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:17 PM

View Postwaterfowl, on 11 July 2017 - 01:36 PM, said:

frozen city 2.0 is primarily a sniping map with no cover for brawlers and brawlets. For whatever reason the center of the map is a giant open area with no cover. The "city" is only located at the spawns. To get to the other team you have to walk in the open and get LRM'd and sniped to death, so teams just sit in their spawns and plink each other, until one team is crippled. It becomes especially egregious in the domination game mode. Why put an objective in an area with no cover? I don't want to sound harsh, but it feels like very little thought is put into what makes a map fun to play on. I've created my fair share of games and know how tricky it can be ... but it seriously feels like they just tried to make maps that look cool, rather than designing something dynamic and enjoyable.

Meanwhile, no matter what game mode it is, brawlers sit around with their {Richard Cameron} in their hands.

The solution is pretty simple. Add some highrise buildings to the center of the map. Make the city a place for fighting rather than a set piece you look at when you spawn.

PGI, this really needs to happen. If nobody can get around to it, give me your map editor and I'll do it for $5 an hour. I know how to keep poly counts below a certain # Posted Image

Frozen City is a great map. I love it. I love to snipe on it, so no, there's nothing wrong with the map. Its one of the few maps in the game when you can get some good sniping in. Why do you think every map needs to be a potato brawlfest? Some of us actually enjoy having to aim past 100 meters.

#10 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:37 PM

View PostSilentWolff, on 11 July 2017 - 05:17 PM, said:

Its one of the few maps in the game when you can get some good sniping in.

Most maps turn into a sniper-fest or does something happen at tier 1? Posted Image

#11 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:40 PM

Bring back 8v8 for Solo-Q, and then bring back the old maps for Solo-Q only. Voila!

View PostAlcom Isst, on 11 July 2017 - 05:37 PM, said:

Most maps turn into a sniper-fest or does something happen at tier 1? Posted Image

At T1, players can actually snipe from long distance with some accuracy. Below that, everyone is cross-eyed.

Edited by El Bandito, 11 July 2017 - 05:42 PM.

#12 Archer Magnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 218 posts
  • LocationFoCo

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:43 PM

I have no idea why everyone swaps sides on that map, it's goofy.

I think the drop points could be adjusted.

#13 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:54 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 11 July 2017 - 05:40 PM, said:

Bring back 8v8 for Solo-Q, and then bring back the old maps for Solo-Q only. Voila!

At T1, players can actually snipe from long distance with some accuracy. Below that, everyone is cross-eyed.

Oh, and here I got my sarcastic hopes up that increasing my tier would mean more brawling. Posted Image

I want 4v4. That had good brawling.

Edited by Alcom Isst, 11 July 2017 - 06:16 PM.

#14 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:18 AM

I think we can try changing the dropzone.
Posted Image

Lance A get the old Frozen City spawn, while Lance B and C will be spawn across the gorge.
Lance A can play the map as ye ole Frozen City, utilizing the tunnel and all that jazz.
Team will have to decide to fight on separate side of the valley, or regroup to deathball but risk getting caught in the valley.
Fast mechs might even attempt to run across the valley to reinforce Lance A.

Estimate hot zone will be E7 and adjunct grids, between Lance B and C.
F4 for Lance A, with F3 tunnel providing flanking maneuver.
Survivor can cross the valley to join with their remaining force, or bunker down against the enemy if they are the sole survivor.

#15 Kaptain

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:21 AM

Old frozen City > new frozen city.

#16 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:45 AM

I don't have any problems brawling on the new Frozen City, it is far more suited to brawling than say, Polar Highlands.

#17 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 03:32 AM

View Postwaterfowl, on 11 July 2017 - 01:36 PM, said:

frozen city 2.0 is primarily a sniping map with no cover for brawlers and brawlets.
[...]

1.)
Pure brawling is a mindless and suicidal gamble and people who think that it is the "right" or preferable or so way to play are just as mindless.

2.)
The map is good for sniping. But only partly. I do it a lot.
But I just as much get sneaked upon by brawlers (if they really succeed is another story).
And the other day I bought a Linebacker, fitted it to be a brawler and the first map to come up was Frozen City.
With no brawling experience whatsoever, I found it EXTREMELY easy (AND FUN!) to sprint from cover to cover with the fast&fat kid until I got into brawling range. Was a very fun match and I killed 2 enemies with the brand new Mech in a completely unusual role.

Conclusion of those experiences:
It is a VERY balanced map with a VERY good mix of sniping possibilities and cover to allow approaching for brawling.

I think the actual "problem" with people complaining about the map is, that they can ONLY brawl and they are unable to use cover properly to approach. As I said: mindless.
Every map that is not a pure, 100% brawling map is "bad" in their opinion because on a balanced map, they would have to use tactical intelligence (which they do not posses) to get in range properly.

In short: Very balanced map. L2P.

Edited by Paigan, 12 July 2017 - 03:35 AM.

#18 Gwahlur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 462 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 03:39 AM

View PostFireStoat, on 11 July 2017 - 03:47 PM, said:

Right now Emerald Bog and Forest Colony are the two worst maps in the game because you have a flat 50% chance of having crap vision due to a mix of twilight / fog. Which means you're using an optics mode of some sort, which means orange smoke is invisible.

The team with the most arty / air strikes wins. Great skill, much excitement.

Disagree, the worst maps are Polar Highlands, Frozen City, and Alpine Peaks.

#19 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 12 July 2017 - 03:40 AM

There just needs to be more effective cover in the middle of the map. It's fine otherwise; old maps should be brought back too and added to the rotation. There's no reason not to do so.

#20 Gwahlur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 462 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 03:43 AM

View PostPaigan, on 12 July 2017 - 03:32 AM, said:

Every map that is not a pure, 100% brawling map is "bad" in their opinion because on a balanced map, they would have to use tactical intelligence (which they do not posses) to get in range properly.

In short: Very balanced map. L2P.

Far from a balanced map. Well, not far, but it's not balanced.
The two most balanced maps in the game are HPG and Mining Collective.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users