Heavy Gauss Paradox

59 replies to this topic

#1 OP8

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 142 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:16 AM

Considering the weight and slot requirements of the weapon, the charge mechanic and facetime, the range and damage of this weapon are obscenely incompetent. Unlike the AC performance slopes, the Light/reg/heavy curves should be inverse. The light version should have decreased range and damage, the heavy should be increased range and damage. The heavy gauss weapon should have a nominal range of 1000M, a max range of 1800M, and at only 5 shots per ton plus the difficulty of achieving a hit, should do about 45-50 damage. As it stands initially, putting this weapon on any mech will drag down all your kill and damage stat averages. You're significantly better off equipping an AC20 until they fix this obese short range bullet magnet.
Use an AC20. The range is better, it has no suicidal charge mechanic, the damage is guaranteed and it's easier to hit targets without feeling like you taped a "kick me" sign to your own back.

#2 JadePanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 967 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:27 AM

Did you also forget the bull in a china shop syndrome it suffers from. Where the slightest nudge and the thing explodes.. Even though its not carrying a charge to be able to explode with.. Best i can compare that to is an empty tube with dynamite written on the side destroying a skyscraper when a fly lands on it..

When they either remove gauss chargeup or gauss explosion chance i'll call the whole line of weapons in a better place.. Till then they seem to exist in a fantasy paradox of something inert causing an explosion...

#3 Phoolan Devi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fenrik
  • Fenrik
  • 366 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:34 AM

View PostOP8, on 19 July 2017 - 03:16 AM, said:

Considering the weight and slot requirements of the weapon, the charge mechanic and facetime, the range and damage of this weapon are obscenely incompetent. Unlike the AC performance slopes, the Light/reg/heavy curves should be inverse. The light version should have decreased range and damage, the heavy should be increased range and damage. The heavy gauss weapon should have a nominal range of 1000M, a max range of 1800M, and at only 5 shots per ton plus the difficulty of achieving a hit, should do about 45-50 damage. As it stands initially, putting this weapon on any mech will drag down all your kill and damage stat averages. You're significantly better off equipping an AC20 until they fix this obese short range bullet magnet.
Use an AC20. The range is better, it has no suicidal charge mechanic, the damage is guaranteed and it's easier to hit targets without feeling like you taped a "kick me" sign to your own back.

Totally disagree!

In fact, the light gauss needs a significant range buff!

#4 ingramli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 554 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:39 AM

I will say that, for most of the parameters, they are "okay" (may be not ideal, but u can still use it if u have the nostalgia), except for two points,

1. Extreme high chance of explosion when destroyed
2. Have charge time before able to fire

It is utterly unfair. If the weapon is always ready, i can accept the explosion danger associated with the "always charged ready" mechanism; if charging time must exist, please make the explosion only occurs if the gauss is destroyed when it is in the process of charging to fire, having both downsides is unnecessary and unfair, it already have its downside (heavy, bulky, low ammo count, and maximum of 2 to fire at a time), the gauss just dont need BOTH charging and (almost) guaranteed explosion to make it completely useless.

Sorry for out of topic, i am talking about the whole gauss family rather than heavy gauss specifically, but then i feel that the effective range to dish out the full damage is too limited (it should be at least 300~400M imo), limit maximum of 1 to be fire at a time if needed, dont render it completely useless please, PGI.....

#5 OP8

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 142 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:52 AM

The rail guns we have in the real world as of last year can hit a target 40 miles away, and weigh less than 18 tons. Food for thought.
As for the game version, if you want gauss action, build a dual standard gauss heavy or assault. It'll be symmetrical, predictable, and battle effective. No mech in this game can legitimately run a dual heavy gauss and kill something with 'em. For 18 tons, you're dooming your mech to be a lemon a majority of your drops. I thought fantasy weapons were supposed to outperform their real world counterparts, not be put to shame by them.

#6 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 04:03 AM

View PostOP8, on 19 July 2017 - 03:52 AM, said:

I thought fantasy weapons were supposed to outperform their real world counterparts, not be put to shame by them.

No. Their original design was supposed to work in the context of a table top game.

Real world missiles can hit targets farther than 1,000m, too, but making a working table top game with 100 ton walking tanks and weapon ranges of 40km is not going to work.

In M:WO, they are supposed to work in the context of a typical game map. Which isn't 40km long either.

#7 Carl Vickers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 19 July 2017 - 04:12 AM

The rail guns we have in the real world as of last year can hit a target 40 miles away, and weigh less than 18 tons. Food for thought.
As for the game version, if you want gauss action, build a dual standard gauss heavy or assault. It'll be symmetrical, predictable, and battle effective. No mech in this game can legitimately run a dual heavy gauss and kill something with 'em. For 18 tons, you're dooming your mech to be a lemon a majority of your drops. I thought fantasy weapons were supposed to outperform their real world counterparts, not be put to shame by them.

Mauler 1P says hi, is quite slow but I can tell you now, get close and go boom. Thats with 2 heavy goose waffles and 4 er meds.

Edited by Carl Vickers, 19 July 2017 - 05:18 AM.

#8 OP8

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 142 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 04:20 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 19 July 2017 - 04:03 AM, said:

No. Their original design was supposed to work in the context of a table top game.

Real world missiles can hit targets farther than 1,000m, too, but making a working table top game with 100 ton walking tanks and weapon ranges of 40km is not going to work.

In M:WO, they are supposed to work in the context of a typical game map. Which isn't 40km long either.

Yeah ya know sometime I've got beef with the underperformance of LRMs too, but at least they're manageable defects and aren't complete crap in context of the game. H-gauss on the other hand are at the moment a statistical eyesore that humiliate anyone willing to equip them. 18 tons, 11 slots, 400lb projectile being belched out almost as far as some humans can hit a golf ball. With those stats, this weapon is only viable mounted on dropships, and luckily dropships are firing downward where gravity will help accelerate the slug to a higher kinetic state than provided by this gun. And even fired from a dropship, 25 damage barely out of the shadow of the ship is garbage.

#9 AppleseeN

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 04:37 AM

Lad's HGR dual welding is majorly is on ANH or PLG, the rest or build it for medium hunter meks or some heavies.

PLEASE... DO NOT MOUNT HGR ON MEK's WHICH ARE NOT USED TO WEAR THAT PORK STEEPLE.Posted Image

#10 Wyald Katt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 165 posts
  • LocationHell (aka Florida)

Posted 19 July 2017 - 04:39 AM

Wile E Coyote totally swears by Gauss weaponry.

#11 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:51 AM

I did not even bother equiping it and trying it. That optimal range is pretty bad.. honestly should atleast be 500 meteres optimum for that weight and tonnage.

#12 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:23 AM

View PostWyald Katt, on 19 July 2017 - 04:39 AM, said:

ACME Heavy Gauss?

#13 AppleseeN

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:09 AM

That is pure arghhhh...
ANH-1X

#14 Lil Cthulhu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 554 posts
  • LocationR'lyeh

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:13 AM

View PostAppleseeN, on 19 July 2017 - 07:09 AM, said:

That is pure arghhhh...
ANH-1X

You're going to overheat and end up being 'that guy who got killed by a HGR'.

#15 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:30 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 19 July 2017 - 04:03 AM, said:

Give the tabletop gamers "strategic zoom" a la Supreme Commander with augmented reality glasses and we'll have tabletop gaming of the 21st century.

#16 5th Fedcom Rat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 893 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:30 AM

On top of the extreme weight, terrible ammo count, propensity to blow up and ridiculously short range, don't forget the fact that heavy gauss (especially two) cause reticule shake that's worse than poptarting, if you can believe it.

Aesthetically, the shake makes the guns feel fun and powerful to fire but it screws up any alpha strike with lasers etc. I'm fine with keeping the shake though if they'd just remove the stupid charge up. It's totally unworkable for such a short range brawling weapon.

I think it's hilarious that all last night I never once saw a heavy gauss being used by anyone on the enemy team, let alone be shot at by one. My attempts to use this horrible weapon on a cyclops and annihilator proved equally fruitless. Regular gauss is pretty great with an annihilator, in contrast.

Edited by 5th Fedcom Rat, 19 July 2017 - 09:32 AM.

#17 tatersaladftw

• PipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:52 AM

Ran my orion protector with a H-gauss, 3- med pulse, and 2 rocket launcher 20s with a std 300 last night to great effect. No one pays attention to the orions, so if you slide in on the second line of a battle you can just plug people for 25 a hit all day. You'll core out or one shot mediums most of the time if their back is to you.

#18 Wiley Coyote

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:23 AM

View PostWyald Katt, on 19 July 2017 - 04:39 AM, said:

No relation.

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 19 July 2017 - 06:23 AM, said:

ACME Heavy Gauss?

ACME is the most reliable supplier of stuff that goes boom. Their products are so good, even stuff that shouldn't go boom, goes boom.

#19 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:24 PM

The rail guns we have in the real world also need to be mounted on a warship. Condensing it down to fit onto something as relatively small as a battlemech would probably mean an increase in weight and a decrease in effective range.

#20 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:15 PM

For 25 PPFLD, the math just doesn't favor the HGR. Let's say you have 20 tons budgeted for armament on your medium 'Mech:

HGR + 2t ammo (250 damage) = 20 tons.

AC20 + 3t ammo (420 damage) + LPPC = 20 tons.

Except, since you can take an LFE with the AC20 (or UAC20), you can sub a SNPPC for the LPPC for even more damage per shot and still come in under the tonnage of the HGR build. Your reticle won't spaz out after every single shot, you can snap-shoot more effectively because there's no charge time, and with range nodes you can land max damage shots beyond 300m. Oh, and you won't self-immolate the first time a stray bullet hits your gun side.

HGR is simply not worth its mounting cost compared to any other large ballistic you care to name.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users