Ac5 Rotary Is To Much

96 replies to this topic

#61 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:08 PM

Rotaries only kill you when they can focus on you. Moving laterally across the enemy's field of vision and cutting off sight lines negates most dakka, but rotaries especially. I fight rotary users like I fight LRMs. Get close, move, break sightlines, poptart and peek. Face time is bad time.

The main thing this patch has taught me is that speed *is* life. If you're moving under 64.8 in a heavy, life will be hard for you. Anything under 60 tons needs to be trucking in the high 80s at least. And jump jets are not optional.

#62 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:26 PM

The main thing this patch has taught me is that speed *is* life.

yep thats why heavies are better than most assaults

the value of the speed you lose isnt worth the pitiful extra armor and massive oversized hitboxes

#63 Zergling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:38 PM

Yup, speed lets you get of ****** situations, like your entire team running away from the enemy team.

All the armor in the world won't save you when you're alone and being rushed by multiple enemy mechs, but speed can.

#64 Balilaika

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:41 PM

If someone only mounts rac.... Not so smart. I use twin rac/5 and standard action as well. I hide the pp from regular ACS inside the rain from the racs. Use that config on my first annihilator. Great for pushes😎

#65 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:25 PM

Why do people keep mentioning the RAC spread/velocity? Its got high velocity and low spread. Lasers/burst fire ACs are going to spread on moving targets anyway.

#66 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:42 PM

View Postdavoodoo, on 25 July 2017 - 06:31 PM, said:

Its a waste of 95 tonner to put very hot weapon which 65 tonners wield with no problem.

Also dual rac5 kgc users?? go hang yourself...

You can start using Dual RAC5 on a 55 ton mech, basically. On an Assault, you must have additional weapons (and they probably shouldn't be also RACs, because ghost heat). Which probably means you're better of using no RAC at all. Though I must admit, it's tempting to use a Dual RAC Hero King Crab, because of the nice high mount position for its ballistic slots. But since I have never had much success with the King Crab, and am still not sure the RAC is worth it at all... I have no high expectations..

#67 Dago Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:15 AM

They're definitely in a weird spot. The damage is really nice but not pinpoint or fast and if you were to remove the blinding effect which is the only reason you get away with it then I think the damage would need to get jacked up even more to compensate.

That and you know all the disadvantages that traditional dakka has while having extra issues stacked on top. Can't see running them as exclusive weapons on any mech but they're not bad filler for one or two ballistic hard points.

But they're definitely not op unless your plan is to counter stare them.

#68 C4NC3R

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 198 posts
  • LocationUSSR

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:42 AM

View PostInspectorG, on 25 July 2017 - 06:35 PM, said:

My 4UAC5 Cyclops stared down a 2RAC5 Annihilator the other day. I was able to use cover. He couldnt.
He fled and if my team wasnt rolled and his teammate jumping in, i would have finished him.

Use 6xAC5 Annie or 2xHPPC+2xHGR Annie-1X... staring on such kind of Annie hurts your eyes.Posted Image

#69 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:46 AM

RACs don't impress me, they cause a lot of blindness but otherwise they're kind of weak.

#70 Dotdot

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:25 AM

Oh lord, I really thought MWO community is not this ******...
"Problem with new XXX, seems OP"
You damn:
- noob
-weakling
-idiot
- your mother deserves son like this
or the best kind of advice: spend $$$ to get mech that can beat it.

View PostXetelian, on 26 July 2017 - 02:46 AM, said:

RACs don't impress me, they cause a lot of blindness but otherwise they're kind of weak.

Thats the thing. Even if alone, medium/weak heavy with only 2RAC/5 can force heavy+ into cover or hide before he jams - all while other guy cant hit you, cause whole mech tremble like fish out of water.

#71 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:04 AM

Only time I've ever been able to just rip through opponents with RACs of any number or caliber is when I get in brawl distance and can keep my bullet stream steady and completely on target for a full 10 or more seconds. At range though between the spinup and the low damage per shot nature of the weapon it make's them borderline worthless. Keep the enemy RAC 'mech at a distance so that he cannot reliably hit you with every shot that comes screaming out of their cannon and you've got them licked. Just try to remember that since RACs have such low damage per shot that in order to be effective they must be hitting you with almost every bullet. While not impossible at longer range it is far more difficult than it is up close and most pilots will have a hard time doing it so long as you're not just standing still, which you should never be doing anyway.

Edited by Mole, 26 July 2017 - 10:06 AM.

#72 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:24 AM

Don't stand still or walk directly toward/back directly away from them. Stick and move, use cover and you'll find RACs are on of the least threatening weapons in the game.

#73 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,472 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:54 AM

Racs are very weak and need a buff, start by removing ghost heat and not count spinup time towards jam bar.

#74 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:59 AM

I'd like to add something to the above post I made; I have only ever really had success with RACs by coming around the corner on a target at nearly point blank range and lighting into him as he is completely blinded and panics. That being said, I only have two 'mechs that make use of RACs. My Uziel has found success in mounting a single RAC/5 in its arm and my Mauler has also found success in mounting dual RAC/5s in its side torsos. The Uziel only really works because I can spinup and dart around a corner at 100kph, unload my RAC until it jams, and then dart back away. The Mauler doesn't try to fight at range and instead specializes in stomping around a corner and wrecking whatever poor target is hiding behind it, then moving on. I tried to use RACs on my Annihilator and was unable to get any kills with it until I eventually ripped the RACs out of it and replaced them with dual UAC/20s.

#75 Bersercker

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:31 AM

View Postone punch bot, on 24 July 2017 - 06:49 AM, said:

ok maby it just has not dawned on me.
but how do you deal with ac5 rot. mechs?
they can just blast threw you with no care, and god forbid more than one person has them. they make just about every AC weapon useless by comparison.
has anyone found a setup that punishes these builds?

Just pretend that each rac5 is 3 or 4 machine guns. They are about as good at all ranges as long as you don't charge straight at the mech armed with rac5 while having an open CT or something.

Bonus feature: a mech armed with 2 rac5's probably won't be firing anything else because its already overheating pretty fast.

Now if racs had heat\s comparable to their actual dps they might have been a viable choice.

#76 InfinityBall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 405 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:39 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 26 July 2017 - 10:54 AM, said:

Racs are very weak and need a buff, start by removing ghost heat and not count spinup time towards jam bar.

Seriously, wtf do they think is getting jammed?

#77 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:08 PM

View PostInfinityBall, on 26 July 2017 - 11:39 AM, said:

The unicorn powder in the ammunition doesn't like whirling around much.

The reason the weapon starts the jam bar going while winding up is because otherwise you can micro-manage or use a macro to keep the weapon permanently wound up. THey don't want that.

IMO, the better solution would have been to forget the idea entirely. A real mini-gun starts firing the moment you start firing, at the beginning the firing speed might just be a little lower. If they can't simulate a variable firing speed, they should have just ignored the idiotic wind-up time.

But I guess they needed to make the weapon "special"... As if a projectile weapon that fires a long continous stream of bullets at high range isn't special already.

#78 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:39 PM

View PostInfinityBall, on 26 July 2017 - 11:39 AM, said:

Apparently lore explanation for jamming are vibrations created by firing so fast...

#79 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:35 PM

View Postdavoodoo, on 26 July 2017 - 12:39 PM, said:

Apparently lore explanation for jamming are vibrations created by firing so fast...

Why is it that they can't make a rotary cannon in the 31st century that doesn't jam when we have all kinds of rotary cannons that don't jam in the 21st?

#80 Fluffinator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 132 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:03 PM

View PostStottie, on 25 July 2017 - 01:48 AM, said:

Rotary needs a nerf, its pointless using assault mechs at the moment.

Far to much damage.

I think you meant Rotary needs a buff so there is any reason to use one out of Tier 5.
As soon as you are grouped with people who don't stand still 99% of the time you will find that Rotary is near useless.

Edited by Fluffinator, 26 July 2017 - 02:03 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users