I Hate This Map So Much

8 replies to this topic

#1 Appuagab

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 319 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:17 PM

1. Main huge horrible disturbingly disgusting issue: rock in the middle. Just like with citadel on River City, almost every game turns into derpy wall scratching, bodyblocking, camping and nascaring with zero space for actual maneuvering. All of this just around a tiny single spot on the map.

2. Obstacles. Tiny indestructible roots and trees that can block your way or make you stuck. Filling maps with excessive amount of rubbish doesn't make them better. In fact it's one of the major disasters of MWO maps design.

3. All reliable covers are actually walls of the maze which make you wondering unnecessarily long around the map. But that's just a side issue of avoiding middle-hill derpfest and twig-stuck-sucide.

4. Ugly and messy. Ugly pile of #00FF00 green vomit. That's not even viridian color.

Posted Image

But the rainy night looks pretty immersive. For me that's one of two cases (another one is Caustic Valley) of ruined visibility implemented well.

You can make this map more or less playable just by cleaning it up. And that hill in the middle needs some serious attention. Until that I'll keep stacking multiplier on Terra Therma to have some safety measures in case of VB appearing on the vote screen.

Edited by Appuagab, 26 July 2017 - 05:18 PM.

#2 Thrudvangar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 646 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:40 PM

Hmm guess your fave maps are

Grim plexus
Polar highlands
Frozen s.hitty
Tourmaline

Am i right?

#3 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:53 PM

View PostThrudvangar, on 26 July 2017 - 11:40 PM, said:

Grim plexus
Polar highlands
Frozen s.hitty
Tourmaline

Am i right?

While I second your hint on the over artificialized nature/arenastyle of some of the maps lets not forget that there are simply some factors and features from the long advertised information warfare missing that should aleviate the optical clutter of those optical beautyfull but tactical catastrophic maps.Posted Image

#4 Thrudvangar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 646 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:41 AM

The thing is, this map doesnt even shows up often enough on the voting the and when it does, it
doesnt even get picked often enough to complain... imho :)

The only thing i'm with the op is that dumb hill at the center...but every map has that dumb
center point where every action is going on... hill or no hill.

I like that jungle and roots etc... personally i dislike those dumb destroyable ugly looking
8bit trees in the new forest colony more... this is really blocking any LoS :)

#5 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 28 July 2017 - 01:25 PM

The map so wonderfully whined about is far more interesting to play than HPG, Mining collective, All three ice maps, crimson straight.

It gives more options than the first two and the last map mentioned.

It's roots are far less irritating than the crystals on tourmaline, said map gives more options, though people refuse to use them all, a fault with many maps isn't actually the map just the sheep gravitate to the largest feature..

#6 Appuagab

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 319 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 09:47 PM

View PostThrudvangar, on 26 July 2017 - 11:40 PM, said:

Grim plexus
Polar highlands
Frozen s.hitty
Tourmaline

Am i right?

Tourmaline's the best.
Polar highlands is meh. BTW this map suffers from ruined minimap the most because it feels much more flat than it actually is.
Grim plexus had potential to be Tourmaline 2.0 but was ruined by the same old issue: everyone goes to F7 hill and facehugs tiny buildings. But some (least used for combat) areas are great.
Frozen city is ok.

View PostThrudvangar, on 27 July 2017 - 01:41 AM, said:

The thing is, this map doesnt even shows up often enough on the voting the and when it does, it
doesnt even get picked often enough to complain... imho Posted Image

For like 2 months after rework it was picked 70% of games and It was second biggest disaster of MWO after UI2.0. I'm always getting flashbacks when I see this green mess on voting screen.

#7 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 30 July 2017 - 12:23 AM

Times when Bog is 'woo!': When both teams clash in various levels and locations.

Times when Bog is 'meh': When one team goes center, and the other goes everywhere else.

Times when Bog is 'bleh': When both teams go for the high center, and your enemies are the first ones to get their assaults up there, and/or they get on the surrounding islands before your team. Unfortunately this is the most common 'tactic' because nobody plays this map to know any better. (can be easily corrected by simply PLAYING this map more)

Edited by BTGbullseye, 30 July 2017 - 12:25 AM.

#8 Angus McFife VI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 433 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:43 PM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 26 July 2017 - 11:53 PM, said:

While I second your hint on the over artificialized nature/arenastyle of some of the maps lets not forget that there are simply some factors and features from the long advertised information warfare missing that should aleviate the optical clutter of those optical beautyfull but tactical catastrophic maps.Posted Image

>Tourmaline
>tactically catastrophic

please uninstall

#9 Laser Kiwi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant-Colonel
  • Leutnant-Colonel
  • 271 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 01:41 AM

i like the bog, the central point has two distinct levels, you need to split the level of the push or a counter push can go beneath your main force. Yes the fight is drawn to the middle, but there are two hills of note, the reason one is used is because it is the mid point, the midpoint is where most people go to fight because on average 2 teams will meet in the middle, its almost unavoidable and true of virtually every map in the game.

hpg (the middle), polar (h9ish), grim(7/8 buildings), forest (round the hill south west of the 'cave'), tourmaline (either a 6 line push or a death valley push it seems), all of them require a conscious decision to avoid the usual fight areas. Heck Frozen city is a 7 line push most times, but i like frozen because sometimes as a light you can sneak some action where the assaults spawn in domination.

My point is all the maps have the same weakness, the point i will agree is the obstacles, can't count the times my assault gets stuck on a tree root, and heres me thinking an atlas would just tear that root a new one not be paralysed by it.

One other thing in favour of viridian, its not a true nascar map, people will fight both flanks so are less likely to just anticlockise rotate, i think the irregular shape of the hill and dual levels helps this.

Edited by Laser Kiwi, 26 December 2017 - 01:43 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users