143 replies to this topic

#21 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 07 August 2017 - 03:25 PM

For amusement I've tried to theorycraft how this gundam would work if ported to TT's mechanics, or at least most of it. I've given up on trying to port over the Lostech Plasma Shield thing because trying to translate the Mechassault loadout requires a bit of cramming in and assumption making.

The dual Gauss is obvious but nearly every other weapon in MA is more broad than that, like for example those 4 "Javelin" missiles are obviously stronger than one single LRM each. I'm assuming that 1 "Javelin" = 10 LRMs, based on the MA builds for Cougar, Catapult, Vulture, Mad Cat, and Atlas. It lines up perfectly across the board. So, the Ragnarok gets 20 tubes of LRMs by BT standards.

The hard part is the "Lava Gun." Well, first off, it doesn't actually shoot lava. It's plasma based. It's definitely not the BT Plasma Rifle, because it shoots 3 big globs of plasma that do very high damage (in MA1 you need only 3 salvos to kill an Atlas IIRC) and I assume that it would have infinite ammo (MA gave all weapons infinite ammo so we don't know for sure).

I figure that this huge plasma launcher has to be at least as heavy/bulky as a Heavy PPC if not more so. It would probably be the biggest mech-mounted energy weapon ever. For now I will assume that each ball of plasma does 10 damage, for a total volley of 30 damage. I'll also set the heat to the same level. I also wonder if a plasma-based projectile, given its shape by magnetic fields, would be subjected to gravity (bullet drop) or not? If so, then this could make the weapon into a very unique "energy mortar" similar to the Wraith from Halo games.

At this point we're running pretty low on tonnage for a 100-ton IS assault mech. Assuming 3/5 MP, 12 DHS, Endo-Composite Structure, XL engine, and 19 tons of STD armor, this leaves us with 10 tons for the "lava gun" thingy. For ammo we've got 4 tons for Gauss and 2 for LRMs. We've got one critslot open in the LT and 8 in the RT (note that I added both LAA and hands to both arms). Other weight-saving options are therefore not able to fit. It also has a full-head ejection system, as seen in the ending of MA1. I guess I could swap the LRM20 for 4x LRM5 to gain +1 ton and +1 slot, but that's about it.

EDIT: I played around a little bit and got an XL Gyro in the CT. Now we've got 13.5 tons and 8 slots to handle the Lava Gun. Sounds about right. Strip armor to 18.5 tons, and pretend that the Lava Gun is 14 tons?

IMO, the Ragnarok is at least a cooler concept (minus the shield perhaps) than most of the other Wobbie Jihad mechs, particularly the disgusting celestials. It certainly looks better.

Edited by FupDup, 07 August 2017 - 03:37 PM.

#22 Rocco5326

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:22 PM

Yes I agree just make LosTech shield balanced and make recharge really long and Ragnarok has a place on the battlefield without being OP

Edited by Rocco5326, 07 August 2017 - 07:24 PM.

#23 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:43 PM

Imagine the outrage if PGI would actually put that abomination into MWO. The forums would melt.

Edited by Thorn Hallis, 07 August 2017 - 07:43 PM.

#24 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:48 PM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 07 August 2017 - 07:43 PM, said:

Imagine the outrage if PGI would actually put that abomination into MWO. The forums would melt.

I think that PGI should actually make it an April Fool's Joke by posting concept art of it. I'd like to see how Alex can make it look.

Edited by FupDup, 07 August 2017 - 07:53 PM.

#25 Rocco5326

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:53 PM

You guys know you want Ragnarok to take her for a spin every now and then when your feeling cheeky!

#26 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:19 AM

View PostFupDup, on 07 August 2017 - 07:48 PM, said:

I think that PGI should actually make it an April Fool's Joke by posting concept art of it. I'd like to see how Alex can make it look.

Now THAT is a good idea. I support this.

#27 Rocco5326

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:41 AM

Now this is the kind of stuff that would make this game Legendary!

#28 Trenchbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:46 AM

View PostFupDup, on 07 August 2017 - 03:25 PM, said:

For amusement I've tried to theorycraft how this gundam would work if ported to TT's mechanics, or at least most of it. I've given up on trying to port over the Lostech Plasma Shield thing because trying to translate the Mechassault loadout requires a bit of cramming in and assumption making.

The dual Gauss is obvious but nearly every other weapon in MA is more broad than that, like for example those 4 "Javelin" missiles are obviously stronger than one single LRM each. I'm assuming that 1 "Javelin" = 10 LRMs, based on the MA builds for Cougar, Catapult, Vulture, Mad Cat, and Atlas. It lines up perfectly across the board. So, the Ragnarok gets 20 tubes of LRMs by BT standards.

The hard part is the "Lava Gun." Well, first off, it doesn't actually shoot lava. It's plasma based. It's definitely not the BT Plasma Rifle, because it shoots 3 big globs of plasma that do very high damage (in MA1 you need only 3 salvos to kill an Atlas IIRC) and I assume that it would have infinite ammo (MA gave all weapons infinite ammo so we don't know for sure).

I figure that this huge plasma launcher has to be at least as heavy/bulky as a Heavy PPC if not more so. It would probably be the biggest mech-mounted energy weapon ever. For now I will assume that each ball of plasma does 10 damage, for a total volley of 30 damage. I'll also set the heat to the same level. I also wonder if a plasma-based projectile, given its shape by magnetic fields, would be subjected to gravity (bullet drop) or not? If so, then this could make the weapon into a very unique "energy mortar" similar to the Wraith from Halo games.

At this point we're running pretty low on tonnage for a 100-ton IS assault mech. Assuming 3/5 MP, 12 DHS, Endo-Composite Structure, XL engine, and 19 tons of STD armor, this leaves us with 10 tons for the "lava gun" thingy. For ammo we've got 4 tons for Gauss and 2 for LRMs. We've got one critslot open in the LT and 8 in the RT (note that I added both LAA and hands to both arms). Other weight-saving options are therefore not able to fit. It also has a full-head ejection system, as seen in the ending of MA1. I guess I could swap the LRM20 for 4x LRM5 to gain +1 ton and +1 slot, but that's about it.

EDIT: I played around a little bit and got an XL Gyro in the CT. Now we've got 13.5 tons and 8 slots to handle the Lava Gun. Sounds about right. Strip armor to 18.5 tons, and pretend that the Lava Gun is 14 tons?

IMO, the Ragnarok is at least a cooler concept (minus the shield perhaps) than most of the other Wobbie Jihad mechs, particularly the disgusting celestials. It certainly looks better.
Downgrade the speed to 2/3. In MA almost all mechs move at tabletop walk speeds, which gives the Ragnarok an excuse to run as a 2/3 unit.

#29 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:55 AM

I remember that game. All everyone took in Xbox live was Mad cats.

#30 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:57 AM

View PostCatten Hart, on 08 August 2017 - 10:46 AM, said:

Downgrade the speed to 2/3. In MA almost all mechs move at tabletop walk speeds, which gives the Ragnarok an excuse to run as a 2/3 unit.

I'm pretty sure the Rag had the same speed as the Atlas in that game though?

#31 Rovertoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 408 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:06 PM

Yeah seriously, the mech looks so cool! How about they just take the original BT Ragnarok mech and give it this one's art. That would make me happy enough.

Was also thinking that maybe the gauss rifles where light gauss rifles, since I believe the uziel (I mean belial) in that game had gauss rifles too. Thatd free up a bit more room for the lava gun.

But it was Mechassault that introduced me to BT in the first place, so it will always have a special place in my heart, no matter how confused I was when I saw that the Puma wasn't just a black Cougar. I still tend to play all of my MWO mechs with a laser weapon group, a ballistic weapon group, and a missle weapon group whenever I can.

... And I still think that charge up PPC was super cool...

#32 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:19 PM

Let's just remember that once, the Urbanmech was an April joke as well.

Nobody's laughing now, except the maniacal ones in the Urbie cockpits.

Some side notes: The "charge PPC" was actually built into TT in the form of PPC capacitors. Sadly experimental, but they DID start in 3060...

#33 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 02:18 PM

View PostRovertoo, on 08 August 2017 - 01:06 PM, said:

Was also thinking that maybe the gauss rifles where light gauss rifles, since I believe the uziel (I mean belial) in that game had gauss rifles too. Thatd free up a bit more room for the lava gun.

The amount of damage they dealt is more in-line with what we'd expect from regular Gauss, not light. The Belial variant of the Uziel did have twin Gauss, but that only worked because Mechassault didn't have to deal with a construction system or mechlab. They just put whatever guns on mechs that they wanted to.

The "Hackman" Owens is probably the most drastic example of this, managing to get a Gauss Rifle on a 35-ton light mech while moving fast, with regular armor protection, packing backup SRMs, and a Null Signature cloaking system to boot.

#34 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 08 August 2017 - 02:31 PM

View PostFupDup, on 07 August 2017 - 03:25 PM, said:

I'll give you that, the Celestials are ugly, but the Archangel is a b!tch to take down in TT...

Compact Fusion Engine and Compact Gyro! Uggh, best way to deal with it, is to go after other win conditions.

#35 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 08 August 2017 - 02:39 PM

We can get a "Ragnarok" in the game eventually. Gotterdammerung, aka "Twilight of the Gods" aka "Ragnarok".
Posted Image

#36 Trenchbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 04:17 PM

View PostFupDup, on 08 August 2017 - 10:57 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure the Rag had the same speed as the Atlas in that game though?
They do. But I'm saying a tabletop conversion to 2/3 would make sense; It ensures the Ragnarok, an otherwise non-canon mech, would have a speed stat matching that of the version in the host game, as well as being allowed to mount a near-equivalent weapon payload to the original.

This also noted, the payload of the Ragnarok would need Clan Tech to approach viable status. Specifically Clan DHS and maybe a Clan LRM; Both needed to mount the critspace and tonnage of the likely very large "Lava Gun". This is even assuming the Lostech shield is an external or no-cost component.

Edited by Catten Hart, 08 August 2017 - 04:17 PM.

#37 YourSaviorLegion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 418 posts
  • LocationSpace The Final Frontier

Posted 08 August 2017 - 05:47 PM

I grew up playing MechWarrior and Mech Assault but yeah... No!
Posted Image

#38 Rocco5326

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:06 PM

Ragnarok is coming boys its only a matter of time muhahahaha, and to top everything off Mechassault 3 is coming soon for Xbox One I feel! It's the kind of refresh we need as Halo and Call of Duty are way over done!

Ragnarok will be a monster on the battlefield with her giant lava gun aka plasma shooter and LosTech Bubble Shield, but what she has in firepower and defense will be traded with extremely low speed and lower armor than say a Atlas or Prometheus. Just make the Bubble shield long recharge and lava gun over heat fast and expensive so gameplay is balanced so other players don't get Butt hurt even though deep down they want to unleash the Ragnarok on any unsuspecting foe that gets in their way!

Edited by Rocco5326, 08 August 2017 - 06:08 PM.

#39 Rocco5326

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:59 PM

But if LosTech Bubble Shield has slow recharge then it needs to last longer than the Mechassault version which has very fast recharge but short duration of activation either way I think Ragnarok will not be op just the opposing team will need to step up their tactics if they encounter it.

#40 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:19 PM

Drugz are a terrible thing bro.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users