143 replies to this topic

#41 Athom83

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:22 PM

I just realized... the guy (OP) saying how the balance would work has only just started playing the 7th of August... 2017... and has 0 games played.

Edited by Athom83, 08 August 2017 - 08:23 PM.

#42 Trenchbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:45 PM

View PostAthom83, on 08 August 2017 - 08:22 PM, said:

I just realized... the guy (OP) saying how the balance would work has only just started playing the 7th of August... 2017... and has 0 games played.
Somehow I'm not surprised.

#43 Rocco5326

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 09:02 PM

Not my first account

Morons

#44 SMDMadCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 08 August 2017 - 09:03 PM

View PostRovertoo, on 08 August 2017 - 01:06 PM, said:

Yeah seriously, the mech looks so cool! How about they just take the original BT Ragnarok mech and give it this one's art.

?? no such mech exists in BT, it's a Mech Assault only thing.

View PostBrain Cancer, on 08 August 2017 - 01:19 PM, said:

Some side notes: The "charge PPC" was actually built into TT in the form of PPC capacitors. Sadly experimental, but they DID start in 3060...

Mmmm, 20 point HPPCs with charge up...

#45 Rovertoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 408 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:09 PM

View PostSMDMadCow, on 08 August 2017 - 09:03 PM, said:

?? no such mech exists in BT, it's a Mech Assault only thing.

Oh really? I coulda sworn someone posted some TRO pictures of an 85 tonner named Ragnarok. Maybe I'm imagining things.

EDIT

Yeah here it is, but I'm certainly not up to speed on what's authentic BT or not. It convinced me though.

View PostAlan Davion, on 07 August 2017 - 03:10 PM, said:

How about this Ragnarok instead?
Posted Image

Edited by Rovertoo, 08 August 2017 - 10:11 PM.

#46 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:46 PM

This pic is from the SNES Mechwarrior game, so its not canon or anything.

Seriously, it seems the majority of this community despises MechAssault and everything around it. So I highly doubt PGI would put effort into something that will not sell well in any case.

#47 Vanguard319

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:53 PM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 08 August 2017 - 10:46 PM, said:

Seriously, it seems the majority of this community despises MechAssault and everything around it. So I highly doubt PGI would put effort into something that will not sell well in any case.

Hilariously though, the Nexus, Raijin, and Grand Crusader are all canon mechs, though none of them resemble the SNES designs, and all of them are mechs fielded by Comstar after Tukayyid, so none of them would exist in the 3025 era that game was set in.

Kind of curious that there has never been a canon mech with the name Ragnarok though.

Edited by Vanguard319, 08 August 2017 - 10:55 PM.

#48 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:08 PM

View PostVanguard319, on 08 August 2017 - 10:53 PM, said:

Kind of curious that there has never been a canon mech with the name Ragnarok though.

Well, there is one. As mentioned some pages earlier, there is a 'Mech called "Gotterdammerung", which is the english spelling of the german word for Ragnarok.

#49 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:00 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 08 August 2017 - 11:08 PM, said:

Well, there is one. As mentioned some pages earlier, there is a 'Mech called "Gotterdammerung", which is the english spelling of the german word for Ragnarok.

Torso Cockpit Compact stuff Zombi isn't.... a nice design like most of the "new" 3150era

but weapons and weight does differ

Edited by Karl Streiger, 09 August 2017 - 01:01 AM.

#50 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:21 AM

I've said it several times, on it's own, especially in the case of MA2, had they not tried to be part of the battletech universe but rather their own new IP, they would've been very solid games... if you don't count the audio problems of MA2.

Yes I did play them, to a point. Mechassault 1, I tossed when they had me in an Elemental suit fight an Atlas... and the second one I almost completed it, but got tired of the hacking mini game when jacking someone's mech, as well as some very uninteresting boss fights sets to the musical stylings of Papa Roch....

#51 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:31 AM

View PostRocco5326, on 08 August 2017 - 09:02 PM, said:

Not my first account
Morons

You do realize posting on the forums with an alt account is a break of the ToS and is a bannable offence for all of you accounts? Also, rude.

View PostRovertoo, on 08 August 2017 - 10:09 PM, said:

Oh really? I coulda sworn someone posted some TRO pictures of an 85 tonner named Ragnarok. Maybe I'm imagining things.
EDIT
Yeah here it is, but I'm certainly not up to speed on what's authentic BT or not. It convinced me though.

Also;

View PostAthom83, on 08 August 2017 - 02:39 PM, said:

We can get a "Ragnarok" in the game eventually. Gotterdammerung, aka "Twilight of the Gods" aka "Ragnarok".
Spoiler

Its the same mech, but drawn out better.

#52 Rocco5326

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:00 AM

I guarantee if they put this mech into the game it would be the number one seller especially since it looks so intimidating on the battlefield especially if they model it like the MechAssault 1 version with the LosTech bubble shield. When you played MechAssault on xbox live you knew you were in for a good battle that was not going to be easy when someone with Ragnarok showed up it was instantly recognizable all the way across the map, made your own mech piss some hydraulic fluid a little! LOL

Edited by Rocco5326, 09 August 2017 - 11:01 AM.

#53 Sleepyboy14

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 120 posts
  • LocationChicago, Terra

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:05 AM

If it does get added to MWO, let this song be used for the trailer

#54 Rocco5326

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:47 AM

PGI decided to go with this instead, it has a bit more depth to it than your Rob Zombie fecal matter LOLOLOL

#55 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:55 AM

I'm glad someone posted this.

It's important to remind people why Mechassault was so hated and people have such utter contempt for what it did to the franchise.

#56 Rocco5326

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:46 PM

http://www.ign.com/g...ult/xbox-479931

Yeah definitely hated and not well received, oh wait...

Posted Image

#57 Josh Seles

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:50 PM

I remember playing MechAssault, around the launch of Halo 2. It sort of served as an intro to BT for me, but I haven't played it for years, as I no longer have an Xbox. As such, I won't bash MechAssault, but it doesn't hold a candle to the likes of Mechwarrior 4, MWO (despite the issues), and especially Mechwarrior 3. MA1 had cool battle music at least, better than MA2.

View PostFupDup, on 07 August 2017 - 03:25 PM, said:

For amusement I've tried to theorycraft how this gundam would work if ported to TT's mechanics, or at least most of it. I've given up on trying to port over the Lostech Plasma Shield thing because trying to translate the Mechassault loadout requires a bit of cramming in and assumption making.

The dual Gauss is obvious but nearly every other weapon in MA is more broad than that, like for example those 4 "Javelin" missiles are obviously stronger than one single LRM each. I'm assuming that 1 "Javelin" = 10 LRMs, based on the MA builds for Cougar, Catapult, Vulture, Mad Cat, and Atlas. It lines up perfectly across the board. So, the Ragnarok gets 20 tubes of LRMs by BT standards.

The hard part is the "Lava Gun." Well, first off, it doesn't actually shoot lava. It's plasma based. It's definitely not the BT Plasma Rifle, because it shoots 3 big globs of plasma that do very high damage (in MA1 you need only 3 salvos to kill an Atlas IIRC) and I assume that it would have infinite ammo (MA gave all weapons infinite ammo so we don't know for sure).

I figure that this huge plasma launcher has to be at least as heavy/bulky as a Heavy PPC if not more so. It would probably be the biggest mech-mounted energy weapon ever. For now I will assume that each ball of plasma does 10 damage, for a total volley of 30 damage. I'll also set the heat to the same level. I also wonder if a plasma-based projectile, given its shape by magnetic fields, would be subjected to gravity (bullet drop) or not? If so, then this could make the weapon into a very unique "energy mortar" similar to the Wraith from Halo games.

At this point we're running pretty low on tonnage for a 100-ton IS assault mech. Assuming 3/5 MP, 12 DHS, Endo-Composite Structure, XL engine, and 19 tons of STD armor, this leaves us with 10 tons for the "lava gun" thingy. For ammo we've got 4 tons for Gauss and 2 for LRMs. We've got one critslot open in the LT and 8 in the RT (note that I added both LAA and hands to both arms). Other weight-saving options are therefore not able to fit. It also has a full-head ejection system, as seen in the ending of MA1. I guess I could swap the LRM20 for 4x LRM5 to gain +1 ton and +1 slot, but that's about it.

EDIT: I played around a little bit and got an XL Gyro in the CT. Now we've got 13.5 tons and 8 slots to handle the Lava Gun. Sounds about right. Strip armor to 18.5 tons, and pretend that the Lava Gun is 14 tons?

Ah, the IS Plasma Rifle and Clan Plasma Cannon, both are weapons PGI could have done with the new tech update. The Plasma Rifle is even 6 tons and 2 slots, same as a Snub Nose PPC.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Plasma_Rifle
http://www.sarna.net...i/Plasma_Cannon

Instead of normal LRM's like we all know and love, we could use Thunderbolt missiles instead. They're single missiles that deal mass amounts of damage. Essentially single-missile LRM's. Thunderbolt missiles can't benefit from NARC's or Artemis(for obvious reasons), but likely could still use TAG, though. There are -15 and -20 sizes, but TBolt-5's and -10's are more likely to be used here.
http://www.sarna.net...i/Thunderbolt_5
http://www.sarna.net.../Thunderbolt_10

Basically, slap on 4 TBolt-5's or TBolt-10's, 4 tons of ammo and done. MechAssault LRM's. *Toss in 2 Plasma Rifles and dual Gauss, ammo, Endo, Light 300 engine, etc. Sounds feasible enough. The shield could just be completely forgotten, or subbed for Hardened Armor. Also if I remember correctly, the Ragnarok did not have hands in either game, 2 free slots there.

View PostFupDup, on 07 August 2017 - 03:25 PM, said:

IMO, the Ragnarok is at least a cooler concept (minus the shield perhaps) than most of the other Wobbie Jihad mechs, particularly the disgusting celestials. It certainly looks better.

**I'd rather have the Raptor 2 over the Rangarok and the Celestials, combined. The Raptor 2 looks pretty nice, I think. It's both my favorite Blakist mech and Jihad-era mech. I doubt PGI would implement Void Signature System. I'd just use ECM and Stealth Armor instead.

*Edit: 2 Plasma Rifles instead of 1
** Clarified my opinion

Edited by Josh Seles, 09 August 2017 - 02:11 PM.

#58 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:51 PM

View PostRocco5326, on 09 August 2017 - 01:46 PM, said:

*By the mechwarrior community. Not the gaming industry as a whole.

From the mechwarrior community perspective, it was an odd game that didn't really do much for the universe. From the industry and commercial perspective it was a neat little game that had interesting mechanics.

#59 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:53 PM

View PostRocco5326, on 09 August 2017 - 01:46 PM, said:

Posted Image

yea, IGN is totally not bias or anything....Posted Image

Anyone else remember when it was uncovered that IGN can be paid to say a game is good....

#60 KHETTI

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationIn transit to 1 of 4 possible planets

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:00 PM

The closest the OP is going to get to a Ragnarok in a mechwarrior game is Mekteks Warlord (minus the shields), no lava gun (lulz) but there are plasma cannons.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users