#61 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:13 PM

View PostMechrophilia, on 10 January 2018 - 10:46 PM, said:

I always thought if dragons had more hardpoints they would be an interesting IS version of LB push.

Well to me they as close as we've got to a Linebacker, similar speed, similar weapons, average hitboxes jump capable and the Dragons might be a little tougher (not much) both are pretty fragile as heavies go.

But hey its just my opinion.

View PostTWIAFU, on 11 January 2018 - 03:41 AM, said:

The cancer in FW is the solo pilot.

No the cancer is the match maker..

Edited by Samial, 12 January 2018 - 05:18 PM.

#62 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:26 PM

Truth be told, the Linebacker needs a nerf to it's agility. Say what you will about it being "Over Engined" and all that, it's still an outlier that needs to be reigned in for balance purposes, because, lets be honest here. Is there any real reason for a 65 ton Heavy to have better agility that most of the 35 ton roster? No, there isn't, just like how there is no reason for the EXE to possess the agility of a Medium. And no, Mr. Gargles does not have increased agility to the extent of the EXE or LBK.

#63 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:21 PM

Whiny players are why we can't have fun things.

#64 InvictusLee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:58 PM

1st; LOL

2nd; No. :D

#65 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:38 PM

I hate to see nerfs based on what 12 man teams can do. Didn't that bring us the jumpjet nerf? Or was that back during 8v8 games?

#66 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:03 PM

Linebacker rushes....

Crab rushes...

Assassin rushes...

You know before this there were OP Oxide rushes? Cicada rushes. There have been all kinds of mechs that have been the flavour of the month.

Nerfing this chasis because it is good when you have twelve coordinated of them stomping you in CW doesn't make any sense.

#67 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:39 AM

View PostSamial, on 12 January 2018 - 05:13 PM, said:

No the cancer is the match maker..

Can't be, there is none in CW.

But nice try, better luck on your next solo CW drop.

View Posttker 669, on 12 January 2018 - 09:03 PM, said:

Linebacker rushes....

Crab rushes...

Assassin rushes...

You know before this there were OP Oxide rushes? Cicada rushes. There have been all kinds of mechs that have been the flavour of the month.

Nerfing this chasis because it is good when you have twelve coordinated of them stomping you in CW doesn't make any sense.

Is that why we are now seeing "Urbie OP, plz nerf' in our organized 12man Urbie Rushes?

Score was only 48-19 after second wave....

:)

#68 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:22 AM

The linebacker is really only dangerous when you get a entire 12-man of them, or get a lance that manages to sneak behind your team and wreak havok behind the lines focing you to either turn to face them and get backstabbed by the other 8 players, or ignoring them get backstabbed by the linebackers.

Then again, a 12-man of ANY comparable role and build style is deadly. hell, 12 annis and deadly, 12 assasins are deadly, 12 crabs, 12 MCIIs, you name it. If the mech has anything good and meta favorable about it and a team decides to bring 12, you are either gonna get rolled or you manage to find some way to counter that mech.

For linebackers my advice is to go for a leg and then move on to another one. If you manage to leg half of them b4 they get in range you have a fighting chance with the rest (no truly lethal build can reach past 600m). Unless ofc they all bring mid range laser vomit (on the right map ofc) like what i do on my linebacker (1HLL, 5ERML), then gl as not only will said linebackers be a nightmare to bring down as always, but you are looking at quite possibly being outranged since nothing short of ERLLs (or a stupidly good gauss sniper) on IS side has the reach and alfa to trade against that...

#69 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,884 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:28 AM

View Posttker 669, on 12 January 2018 - 09:03 PM, said:

Posted Image
Tell it to my Quickdraws
I'm still pi s sed off about that.

#70 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:38 AM

A good linebacker rush is hard as hell to stop tbh. The tactics mentiined here work but in the end the team also needs a lot of skill, the ability to aim well enough to consistently focus components on moving targets etc. It's easy say aloof things like "sweep the leg" and so on but one of the problems here is that lbks are heavies, they have lots of armour and lots of killing power. If you don't outweigh them they will have the firepower and hp advantage and simply kill you faster, but if you outweigh them too much their speed advantage lets them adapt easily to whatever tactics you're using.

We've stopped some lbk rushes with mj12, but I think we had the skill advantage in those games where we did. I'm not sure I've seen any of our dedicated lbk rushes stopped yet, but maybe i just wasn't on at the time.

I don't think it's super op or anything, but it's hard to stop. Before you tell some frustrated pug how it's so easy and just sweep the leg etc I'd like to see evidence of yourself stopping a dedicated 12 lbk rush from a strong team.

#71 gooddragon2

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:49 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 14 January 2018 - 12:38 AM, said:

A good linebacker rush is hard as hell to stop tbh. The tactics mentiined here work but in the end the team also needs a lot of skill, the ability to aim well enough to consistently focus components on moving targets etc. It's easy say aloof things like "sweep the leg" and so on but one of the problems here is that lbks are heavies, they have lots of armour and lots of killing power. If you don't outweigh them they will have the firepower and hp advantage and simply kill you faster, but if you outweigh them too much their speed advantage lets them adapt easily to whatever tactics you're using.

We've stopped some lbk rushes with mj12, but I think we had the skill advantage in those games where we did. I'm not sure I've seen any of our dedicated lbk rushes stopped yet, but maybe i just wasn't on at the time.

I don't think it's super op or anything, but it's hard to stop. Before you tell some frustrated pug how it's so easy and just sweep the leg etc I'd like to see evidence of yourself stopping a dedicated 12 lbk rush from a strong team.

Just have to make their mobility irrelevant. Maybe everyone takes lurm20 and outweigh them. Focus on one target with lurms and form a firing line with stronger weapons if they rush?

#72 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:55 AM

View Postgooddragon2, on 14 January 2018 - 12:49 AM, said:

Just have to make their mobility irrelevant. Maybe everyone takes lurm20 and outweigh them. Focus on one target with lurms and form a firing line with stronger weapons if they rush?

Lrms are completely useless against rush strategies, even on polar highlands. I mean lrms are weak in general, but agains rushes they are literally almost useless, especially against linebackers that are tanky enough to easily shrug off the few lrm volleys you get to fire before they are within lrm min range. As for fire line with "stronger weapons" how do you have that if you wasted tonnage on lurm 20 racks.

This is exactly why I asked for evidence of your strategies working befor blurting them out, I almost can't think of a worse setup against lbk rushes.

#73 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 14 January 2018 - 02:02 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 14 January 2018 - 01:55 AM, said:

Lrms are completely useless against rush strategies, even on polar highlands.

Uh... No they aren't... LRMs are quite good against them, if you can focus targets before they get inside minimum range.

#74 Alaric Hasek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 169 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 02:18 AM

I saw a 12-person Cataphract rush (actually, I guess it was 10 ;phracts and 2 Atlases) on a Boreal Siege Clan defense. The Clan first wave was ahead 12-2 and went out a gate to meet the next wave, but the Cataphracts went in the other gate. By the time the Clanners burned their 'mechs or went back in the gate it was too late to destroy the 700 tons that made it in the gate.

View Postpanzer1b, on 13 January 2018 - 07:22 AM, said:

Then again, a 12-man of ANY comparable role and build style is deadly. hell, 12 annis and deadly, 12 assasins are deadly, 12 crabs, 12 MCIIs, you name it. If the mech has anything good and meta favorable about it and a team decides to bring 12, you are either gonna get rolled or you manage to find some way to counter that mech.

#75 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 14 January 2018 - 02:25 AM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 14 January 2018 - 02:02 AM, said:

Uh... No they aren't... LRMs are quite good against them, if you can focus targets before they get inside minimum range.

Are you willing to prove this in a scrim?

I put together a 12 lbk team, you put together a team using lrms and try to stop us. You can use any IS mechs and pick the map. I might need a week or two to rally a team.

#76 gooddragon2

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 02:26 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 14 January 2018 - 01:55 AM, said:

Lrms are completely useless against rush strategies, even on polar highlands. I mean lrms are weak in general, but agains rushes they are literally almost useless, especially against linebackers that are tanky enough to easily shrug off the few lrm volleys you get to fire before they are within lrm min range. As for fire line with "stronger weapons" how do you have that if you wasted tonnage on lurm 20 racks.

This is exactly why I asked for evidence of your strategies working befor blurting them out, I almost can't think of a worse setup against lbk rushes.

One lurm20 rack each. Rest in strong weapons. You should have the tonnage for it at 100 tons. If they have ams and group together, use weapons and tactics to take advantage of tight formations.

Edited by gooddragon2, 14 January 2018 - 02:28 AM.

#77 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 14 January 2018 - 02:29 AM

View Postgooddragon2, on 14 January 2018 - 02:26 AM, said:

One lurm20 rack each. Rest in strong weapons. You should have the tonnage for it at 100 tons.

Do you have any evidence of this working to stop a decent unit doing a lbk rush? Are you willing to try and prove it in a scrim?

I've played FP with units since release. I have done oodles of rushes and never been stopped by lrm based tactics. Not once. Lrms are incredibly weak in general, even weaker against fast rushes. That's what my experience so far tells me, waste of tonnage. I'd happily be proven wrong, I'm happy to try and set up for testing as i said.

Edited by Sjorpha, 14 January 2018 - 02:36 AM.

#78 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:12 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 14 January 2018 - 02:29 AM, said:

Do you have any evidence of this working to stop a decent unit doing a lbk rush? Are you willing to try and prove it in a scrim?

I've played FP with units since release. I have done oodles of rushes and never been stopped by lrm based tactics. Not once. Lrms are incredibly weak in general, even weaker against fast rushes. That's what my experience so far tells me, waste of tonnage. I'd happily be proven wrong, I'm happy to try and set up for testing as i said.

Hey sounds like a reason to create a Clan alt. Count me in ;)

#79 gooddragon2

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:56 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 14 January 2018 - 02:29 AM, said:

No, I'm a chicken and a bad pilot, but I'm very interested to see how it plays out.

#80 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:01 PM

View PostDoc Arachinus, on 14 August 2017 - 08:27 PM, said:

Has any one found a effective way to drop these linebacker rushes in faction? even when your group is legging them they are very hard to bring down and can normally take most of you unit with them if not 2 whole waves or more. Or is any nerf being looked at for them? a handful of linebackers isn't bad but a whole 12 man team running them is devastating. and I'm not talking just pug matches here. even in tier 1 groups they are posing a menance to stop. Have been in 2 or 3 drops where they have all gone down without losing a whole wave but that is rare and normally only against low skill players.

If you know it's coming.
Fall back to out of bounds boundary to limit their movement.
Or any terrain to prevent them from Genghis Khan'ing you.
Then proceed to blow their legs off.
Had a FW drop a few months we dropped against X.
And wiped their first wave.
Of course this tactic won't work on any Base based mode.
It indeeds works for skirmish.

Edited by Novakaine, 14 January 2018 - 12:03 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users