Road Map Undelivered. A "light" Patch That Doesn't Fix Unresolved Issues From The Last Patch. The Lack Of Momentum Is Concerning.

84 replies to this topic

#61 Racerxintegra2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 801 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:09 AM

I was always against free to play games because of my addictive nature. Somehow i became hooked on this game a while back and ended up spending $800 on it. Now i hang around like a ghost because i feel I've put to much into this game to simply walk away with nothing to show for it. The actual game experience is no longer fun. Stale, Boring and frustrating are the only way i can describe it. Talk about buyers remorse.

#62 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:21 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 16 August 2017 - 07:10 AM, said:

Makes no sense. Show me where the bad Twitter had touched you.

Based on how I have seen you post, I will presume this is sarcasm and not serious. Posted Image

View PostTLBFestus, on 16 August 2017 - 01:38 PM, said:

Can't say I accept this argument.

You are essentially saying that it's the communities fault that PGI can't set priorities. That's PGI's fault no one else's. To be honest, it's Managements fault. How the game evolves/moves forward is a direct reflection of the people running the show.

In other words, if you think the game seems to be lacking forward momentum, running in mech pak circles, and generally has no real long term vision, you are essentially describing "you know who". It's a pretty damned accurate description too.

(NOTE: 2 posts in one day, new record in the past month or longer)

Not entirely true.
Just look at certain things like the first version of Skill Tree that was going to be put out, Energy Draw, etc. There have been times when the community through various means has had a say in some form regarding development.

When you have a say, you also get to share the responsibility and blame.

Trying the blame Management for everything given that fact is being a child and cowardly.

#63 HGAK47

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 971 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:44 AM

View PostAppogee, on 15 August 2017 - 11:36 AM, said:

Why would they still be discussing and deciding a full month after the last patch... especially when they just dropped a patch that doesn't even fully deliver on the missing elements from the last patch?

For new maps to have been 'in development' for MWO as long as they have claimed, they must be creating them a pixel at a time.

That is why I am curious to hear what has been done so far, what is the progress etc..

#64 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,014 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:14 AM

I was always against free to play games because of my addictive nature. Somehow i became hooked on this game a while back and ended up spending $800 on it. Now i hang around like a ghost because i feel I've put to much into this game to simply walk away with nothing to show for it. The actual game experience is no longer fun. Stale, Boring and frustrating are the only way i can describe it. Talk about buyers remorse.

I am trying to hold on for MW5 but the only reason I am leaving is because I suck
last night I was trying to think of a name worse then potato
hopefully we will get some info on MW5 on this up coming town hall

#65 Smites

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:50 AM

I'll ask again. Is it at all possible, given the relatively small staff of PGI, that some of their resources have been diverted from MW:O and put towards MW:V? I read somewhere, in an of course official statement, that there are two separate teams but I find this difficult to fully believe. Either that, or PGI is just often late with their roadmaps. I have also been told that they usually post them at the last minute. Posted Image

To be absolutely clear. This is entirely my subjective opinion and shouldn't be taken or assumed as fact, regardless of the answers, if any, that this post receives. Make your own opinions! This is a thinking mans shooter and thinking mans game-forum!

Edited by Smites, 17 August 2017 - 08:53 AM.

#66 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:58 AM

View PostSmites, on 17 August 2017 - 08:50 AM, said:

I'll ask again. Is it at all possible, given the relatively small staff of PGI, that some of their resources have been diverted from MW:O and put towards MW:V? I read somewhere, in an of course official statement, that there are two separate teams but I find this difficult to fully believe. Either that, or PGI is just often late with their roadmaps. I have also been told that they usually post them at the last minute. Posted Image

To be absolutely clear. This is entirely my subjective opinion and shouldn't be taken or assumed as fact, regardless of the answers, if any, that this post receives. Make your own opinions! This is a thinking mans shooter and thinking mans game-forum!

well Russ Did say that TownHall will be this Friday,
and that the new 3month Road map will be coming by the end of this business week,

Twitter said:

Russ Bullock‏ @russ_bullock Aug 15

MWO roadmap by end of the business week.

#67 Smites

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:02 AM

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 17 August 2017 - 08:58 AM, said:

well Russ Did say that TownHall will be this Friday,
and that the new 3month Road map will be coming by the end of this business week,

I'm suspicious of PGI town hall meetings. I'm glad that we get them, but they seem to fill their 3, sometimes 4 hour slot by taking the longest possible route to explain something or get to a point. Sometimes even leaving us more confused than we originally were. Can anybody else host them? Maybe whoever our Community Moderator is atm?

#68 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:24 AM

View PostWildstreak, on 17 August 2017 - 04:21 AM, said:

Trying the blame Management for everything given that fact is being a child and cowardly.

You don't blame the quality of a product on the customer, not ever.

It doesn't matter if the producer has reached out for feedback on development or not, every company does that. Coca cola does surveys and taste polls etc, still 100% their fault if the drinks taste bad.

There's no difference in principle with games, the developer makes a product and is 100% responsible for its quality, customers buy it...or not.

#69 Stonekeg

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 69 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSouthern Cali

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:01 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 15 August 2017 - 12:12 PM, said:

I actually patched MWO about a week ago. Had to download 17 gb, since I haven't played for months. I launched the game, started looking around in the Mechlab. I figured there wasn't really a lot of new content, beyond the new tech. Maybe there would at least be a few cool new mechs for me to buy with C-bills?

Not really. So without any new content to interest me, not even some interesting new mechs, I just quit the game without launching. Maybe I'll come back for the Cougar in November, though I doubt it.

Here's a question: If PGI doesn't have the talent they need to create new MWO maps, to fix old issues like IK, or make some decent, functional animations for their new mech packs (the only area where they can consistently deliver new 'content'), then how the hell are they going to deliver MW5? Let alone MW5 as Russ Bullock described it, with so many promised features that it makes MWO look like Tetris.

I'm not trying to comment on what PGI can or cannot do, however, digging around in the old guts of an established game sometimes takes tons of tribal knowledge. Sometimes that knowledge is no longer available. Building from the ground up in those scenarios is much easier, and is often a better use of time.

#70 Splatshot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 179 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:34 AM

View PostMystere, on 15 August 2017 - 06:14 PM, said:

Mass cancellations of orders -- and giving the reason why -- will be much much more effective.

Sadly as I have not ordered anything in over 2 years, cancelling it will not work. They stopped my ordering log ago with this stuff.

#71 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,748 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:59 PM

View PostBush Hopper, on 17 August 2017 - 12:29 AM, said:

Solaris?

If you really want to make Solaris, you are set for a huge task, basically a new game. You need conspiracies, stables, bets, dynamic maps and much more. These are all the things which make Solaris Solaris.

However, I bet PGI thinks that Solaris is just an arena mode of 1 or 2 mechs in a deathmatch mode with a leaderboard.

Solaris will just be one more case of wasted resources

Hmm, do you mean like Community Warfare > Faction Warfare > Faction Play with conspiracies, betrayals, alliances, etc... Posted Image

But yes, Solaris will simply be arena mode for 1vs1, 2vs2 and FAA...

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 17 August 2017 - 02:00 PM.

#72 Yellonet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:19 PM

The amount of disappointment you will feel when it's all over is going to be proportional to the amount of money you put into this game because you never got what you wanted. I feel that most people paying do so because hope is the last to die, and that's why PGI can keep doing what they do. There's no reason for them to change anything as they keep making money as it is.

#73 Accused

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 989 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:33 PM

View PostWildstreak, on 17 August 2017 - 04:21 AM, said:

Based on how I have seen you post, I will presume this is sarcasm and not serious. Posted Image

Not entirely true.
Just look at certain things like the first version of Skill Tree that was going to be put out, Energy Draw, etc. There have been times when the community through various means has had a say in some form regarding development.

When you have a say, you also get to share the responsibility and blame.

Uh....with the skill tree I'm pretty sure we said it wasn't ready and needed tweaking still and they launched it anyway. energy draw was a bad idea on paper to begin with. In fact I think the only time when they stopped something was when we threatened to light the entire forum on fire. So no, I am not taking any of the responsibility for any of this.

#74 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:07 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 17 August 2017 - 10:24 AM, said:

You don't blame the quality of a product on the customer, not ever.

It doesn't matter if the producer has reached out for feedback on development or not, every company does that. Coca cola does surveys and taste polls etc, still 100% their fault if the drinks taste bad.

There's no difference in principle with games, the developer makes a product and is 100% responsible for its quality, customers buy it...or not.

Then you are one of those fools who thinks the customer is 100% right despite proof you are wrong.
Sometimes the customer is right but sometimes the customer is wrong.

View PostAccused, on 17 August 2017 - 04:33 PM, said:

Uh....with the skill tree I'm pretty sure we said it wasn't ready and needed tweaking still and they launched it anyway. energy draw was a bad idea on paper to begin with. In fact I think the only time when they stopped something was when we threatened to light the entire forum on fire. So no, I am not taking any of the responsibility for any of this.

Another coward.
PGI was going to launch the SKill Tree in a certain way then a part of the community complained, people left and PGI changed their plan to a different way.
They were going to release Energy Draw, people complained, ED disappeared.
We used to be able to do ambushes in this game including shutting down Mechs so when an enemy passed and did not see us, we could power up and surprise them. Then and still to this day a portion of the community killed ambushes by reporting and telling the enemy the location of anyone who tries it as, "hiding to preserve KDR," ignoring the ambusher even when you chat or VOIP that you are ambushing, Ambushing, a valid and useful fighting tactic, thus died.
That's just 3 of the several times the community has been part of the game design proving the community does at times have input and thus does bear part of the responsibility for the game we have.

#75 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:28 AM

View PostSmites, on 17 August 2017 - 08:50 AM, said:

Its literally impossible for MW 5 to not have reduced development on MWO. They have X amount of people with Y amount of man hours. Unless they are using time dilation, they cant work on both projects at the same time without losing time on one. Its like working two jobs at once, if you have 8 hours, you cant spend 8 hours on each.

#76 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:32 AM

View PostSmites, on 17 August 2017 - 09:02 AM, said:

I'm suspicious of PGI town hall meetings. I'm glad that we get them, but they seem to fill their 3, sometimes 4 hour slot by taking the longest possible route to explain something or get to a point. Sometimes even leaving us more confused than we originally were. Can anybody else host them? Maybe whoever our Community Moderator is atm?

Townhall/round tables/whatever are basically feel good sessions and advertisements for the next mechpack. You will notice that they never explain stuff like "Why are LBXs still terrible" or "Why is FP development at a standstill".

#77 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:55 AM

in the Moment we have from MW5 not more Infos as from transverse in the old Days .. ..a Trailer and the Answer ,MW5/Transverse have his own Team/Ressources...
and by the Manpower ...2015 Russ says ...no Maps ,all working by FP
2014/15 leaves 3 Leading staff member the Company

Enrique Barahona Ramos the Senior Animator from PGI leave the Company 2015 and is now working for Relic...
Ben Driedger ...Animator by PGI leave the Company 2014 is no leading his own Artist Team ICON
Gabriel Kessler-Texture artist by PGi leave the company 2014 is now by Relic

2014/2015 the Time with release of the bad Looking Direwhale ( against Alex great Concept Art)with his terrible Animations

https://mwomercs.com...gi/page__st__20

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 18 August 2017 - 06:01 AM.

#78 Smites

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:44 AM

View PostJun Watarase, on 18 August 2017 - 05:28 AM, said:

Its literally impossible for MW 5 to not have reduced development on MWO. They have X amount of people with Y amount of man hours. Unless they are using time dilation, they cant work on both projects at the same time without losing time on one. Its like working two jobs at once, if you have 8 hours, you cant spend 8 hours on each.

That raises another question thus; assuming that PGI doesn't have two truly independent teams co-existing, then is only MW:O suffering or might MW:V too suffer from this split direction and fewer resources? I, of course, cannot judge MW:V prior to its release and this is purely subjective speculation but I'm curious which might prove to be true.

View PostJun Watarase, on 18 August 2017 - 05:32 AM, said:

Townhall/round tables/whatever are basically feel good sessions and advertisements for the next mechpack. You will notice that they never explain stuff like "Why are LBXs still terrible" or "Why is FP development at a standstill".

To be fair. No company would address it that way. The problem, I think, is the main speaker has difficulty at times articulating his intentions and too many beer jokes in my personal opinion. The question really should be, what is their goal and how do they feel overall about balance right now? If they feel, as in your example, that LBX are in a good state right now, ask them why. At the very least we can understand a poor answer even if it's a stupid reason.

Edited by Smites, 18 August 2017 - 08:56 AM.

#79 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,088 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:32 AM

View PostGalenit, on 15 August 2017 - 03:40 PM, said:

250000$ a map!

Thats a lot of mechpacks an old man has to sell ...

i dont buy that number. perhaps initially when they didnt have any geometry or tilesets available. with all the corner cutting that has been happening in the last few maps (plexus) probibly sliced that value in half.

maybe if pgi wouldnt go as nuts with completely unnecessary micro-details (new river city, vitric forge, forest colony, etc) and take a far more conservative approach. aiming for more efficient map designs. re-use assets whenever neccisary.

anyone remember those quake mapping contests. one guy would put up a voodoo card as a prize you would get a hundred or so maps of varying quality overnight. a handfull of them would be pretty good. mostly from unpaid amatures too. opening up the game to user maps might be what this game needs.

#80 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:43 PM

hmm... Well the previous 3 months were basically on spot and HUGE updates, Skill tree, New tech, Giant comp update, and they tried to stuff in 4 mechs into a single month..(i didn't think that was a good idea when i saw it in the first place, with the new tech work, i think they over booked their poor modelers), but did have a bit of roll over from each.. as what happens in development.. Things happen, issues happen, changes need to be done after feed back ect..

(EDIT, Well looks like it was pushed back a single month to make it a much bigger addition, followed by 2 months of polish and some balancing and long standing issues.. Sounds Frigging Great to me!)

as for the mechs that did not have tech updates, do you not read patch notes? Last month the hero IS mechs got the update, this month the hero claners got the update.. in the future remaining mechs get theirs. I don't think people realize how much work it is to go back and update 500+ mechs..

I personally look forward to what is to come..

Edited by JC Daxion, 18 August 2017 - 08:21 PM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users