Alpha Strike Event With Cool New Warhorns!

146 replies to this topic

#81 ShooteyMcShooterson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 290 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:41 AM

Cool event. Thank you as always.

However, I've won every warhorn but the arcade one at this point, and they all suck. The retro one isn't bad if you like a warhorn that sounds like someone playing the scales on a xylophone. I don't. I also don't see how the sound is retro or related to old video games as the shape of the warhorn implies. It's not like it sounds like a Super Mario Brothers tune or anything.

And the radio warhorns, which are basically kill activated bitchin betty lines spoken in different voices... They are straight up terrible. They sound like they were pieced together from prerecorded single words assembled into phrases. They are also quiet and can't really be heard during battle anyways.

I will never use them, and wish we could exchange them for something else, virtually anything else. Maybe let us sell them for MC at a fractional rate of 10% of the purchase price in the mechlab. That would be 75MC, which is enough to one shot a mech or buy 3 supply cache keys. That would actually be super cool if we could do that with items we don't want.

#82 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:50 AM

I won't use the radio ones but the two arcade ones.... MAYBE.

#83 WiNNiep00h

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:22 PM

"In 2 matches TAG an Enemy Mech as it is missile lock killed at least once"

i'm too stupid for that. how it works exactly? do i have to kill the enemy myself? i though i just "shoot" with the Tag at the enemy and somebody kills it with missiles?

Edited by WiNNiep00h, 17 August 2017 - 01:23 PM.

#84 Mechwarrior4670152

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:29 PM

View PostWiNNiep00h, on 17 August 2017 - 01:22 PM, said:

"In 2 matches TAG an Enemy Mech as it is missile lock killed at least once"

i'm too stupid for that. how it works exactly? do i have to kill the enemy myself? i though i just "shoot" with the Tag at the enemy and somebody kills it with missiles?

You TAG the enemy
ANY lock on weapon kills it (Your own lock on weapon, or an allies)

#85 James Argent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:08 PM

Yeah, it's the nature of the TAG laser. It helps anything that's locked on to the TAG'd target, whether it's your weapon or an ally's weapon. All it means is your TAG laser needs to be on a target when a lock-on weapon gets a killing blow. This doesn't always happen in a vacuum, because direct fire weapons can sometimes be the ones that get the killing blow right in the middle of a missile volley.

The easiest way to do it is to just boat SSRMs with a TAG and nothing else and get the killing blow yourself...this guarantees no direct fire interference.

#86 Commander A9

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:27 PM

That challenge requires you to earn "TAG Kill" in the match.

Use the TAG laser on your target while lock-capable missiles like Streaks or LRMs deliver the final blow, and there you have it.

Speaking of which, I'm kinda surprised about the LACK of LRMs in this competition. Normally, the competition weeks are flooded by LRM mechs...this time, I haven't seen too many...

#87 Kuaron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:38 PM

View PostRhialto, on 17 August 2017 - 07:24 AM, said:

Since PGI is not replying, I've extracted the 2 retro warhorn soundclips.

Uh, so long...

View PostCommander A9, on 17 August 2017 - 02:27 PM, said:

Speaking of which, I'm kinda surprised about the LACK of LRMs in this competition. Normally, the competition weeks are flooded by LRM mechs...this time, I haven't seen too many...

That's because you actually needs TAG kills.
We all know LRMs are only there to make your life worse, they cannot break this rule by appearing when you need them.

#88 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:15 PM

Thanks PGI!

Just wish you offered a Radio warhorn that said: "Kill Secured" or "Kill Stolen"

haha

#89 Tarriss Halcyon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 239 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:09 AM

After playing a number of Faction play matches in PUG queue, and running into the 228th four times in a row; I'm tempted to say that the Retro Arcade warhorn will be one of the rarest cockpit items in the game, up there with things like the Operation 24 medallion in one of my Hunchbacks. Except this one won't be mine.

#90 G SE7EN7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 579 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationGaledon District

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:38 AM

I speck england good ya

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 15 August 2017 - 03:55 PM, said:

In 5 matches get Launch a UAV and get at least 1 UAV detection

View PostTarriss Halcyon, on 18 August 2017 - 02:09 AM, said:

After playing a number of Faction play matches in PUG queue, and running into the 228th four times in a row; I'm tempted to say that the Retro Arcade warhorn will be one of the rarest cockpit items in the game, up there with things like the Operation 24 medallion in one of my Hunchbacks. Except this one won't be mine.

yeah its totally balance thats wrecking the game....... better nurf that IS crowd....

#91 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 613 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationIn DireStar with Heavy Naval PPC

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:42 AM

Just saw the news.

Another event with so difficult requirements for not-so-well performing and/or lacking time players that obtaining them within timeline is nearly or just impossible.
These requirements I'm talking about are just the match score in both FP and QP (TAG in one bonus challenge also can be a pain in the "lower part of back"), althrough with using hated LRM boat with TAG should do the trick (even managed to get TAG Stealth :D ).

Otherwise, the event is just fine.

Posted Image

Edited by ManganMan, 18 August 2017 - 12:39 PM.

#92 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:19 PM

I love h0w only days ago they made the arcade horns the chase prize by claiming they were event only, and not to be available in the store and then today with the summer sale we get this...

20% extra MC with the purchase of a 29.95 USD MC pack and 2 new war horns Retro Handheld and Retro Arcade

#93 G SE7EN7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 579 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:08 AM

Challenge was way too short for time allocated. either shorten event or add more achievents. Eh guess I get 13 days off mechs.

#94 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:19 AM

5000 match score in FP is WAY too high. Too much of a time investment. too much being farmed. This is FP, no one likes it. Makes the requirement lower next time.

#95 G SE7EN7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 579 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 04:32 AM

Love the Retro Arcade Warhorn, best feature added since CW back in 2014

#96 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 04:50 AM

View PostDAYLEET, on 20 August 2017 - 12:19 AM, said:

5000 match score in FP is WAY too high. Too much of a time investment. too much being farmed. This is FP, no one likes it. Makes the requirement lower next time.

I got it in only 3 days on one of my accounts. They gave two weeks to do it.

#97 ZortPointNarf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 261 posts
  • LocationIsle of Man

Posted 20 August 2017 - 05:00 AM

View PostTarriss Halcyon, on 18 August 2017 - 02:09 AM, said:

Just had that same experience, they are a well organized unit that plays really well, but sadly for the game ecology they are bad. Pug vs Unit will almost invariable favour the unit. Now if only solo queue pugs could be excluded from the groups it would be great, but a meh game mode like FW doesn't have the numbers to justify it. It's hard to complain about losing without sounding salty, but I think I am not alone in not finding any joy in getting your face kicked in this badly. Oh well, they have to sleep sometime :|

Update: Should be noted this goes for most of the big units not just 228

Edited by ZortPointNarf, 20 August 2017 - 06:06 AM.

#98 James Argent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 09:22 AM

They'll never get the numbers until they fix the problem. If they DO somehow get the numbers without fixing the problem, they'll say there is no problem that needs to be fixed because the numbers are up. But players are not going to play a mode and get better at that mode until it is possible for them to enjoy it.

"Hey, play this game mode the way you don't like so we have enough people to justify fixing what you don't like about it" is putting the cart before the horse. FP gets numbers only when PGI pays people to play it (event rewards). If that's going to be the fix, so be it and there had better be a constant stream of bribes if you want to keep on fooling yourselves. But it should be of significant concern to PGI that their unwillingness to listen to the people they want to attract to the mode instead of the big units' complaints about temporary queue time inflation to give FP the chance to become a sustainable game mode with players graduating over time from a solo queue (NOT a no unit tag queue...the mere existence of a unit tag is irrelevant to coordinated gameplay, or the lack thereof) to the group queue is costing them potential revenue.

It's the same schizoid thinking behind 'potato this, potato that...git gud or git out,' and 'Gee, I wonder why enough people aren't playing FP?'

#99 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 20 August 2017 - 11:32 AM

View PostDee Eight, on 20 August 2017 - 04:50 AM, said:

I got it in only 3 days on one of my accounts. They gave two weeks to do it.

How many days is irrelevant, there's 72hours in 3 days.

#100 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 20 August 2017 - 04:25 PM

View PostRhialto, on 16 August 2017 - 03:22 PM, said:

Oh true, in 2 matches sorry. I will edit post to avoid confusion, thanks for pointing that out!

No matter what, it was quickly done.

yeah in one match I got my 2 tag kills . . happy that is over . . went back to playing my new hero's . . after the top of the hour I saw I only registered one Tag kill . . read it again . . AHHHhh . . 2 tag kills in 2 matches, the second time I used the streak dog, I didn't want to do another match, 3 Tag kills . . . after the top of the hour checked . . all done

the bad part of getting Tag Kills . . is the unintentional (intentional) Kill steal from another pilot Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users