Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:33 PM

#2 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:41 PM

Oh, neat! I forgot this game was going to be a thing. I really need to remember to watch it and get it if it's good.

#3 CheeseThief

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 580 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Black Stump

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:52 PM

An RTS with a PlayStation release.

Looks cool but colour me skeptical on the gameplay.

#4 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:55 PM

No other RTS serves a purpose after Supreme Commander. All other RTS are inferior to its greatness.

faforever.com

Get in the game. Experience awesome. Need nothing else.

#5 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:55 PM

Looks like a title not to to far off from MechWarrior and Battletech. Mechs being a part of the land scape and fiction and all that.

Added these videos because it doesn't compete with this game at all and isn't out any time soon, late next year or something, and is really great mech related entertainment.

Also of course there is the upcoming Battletech.

Edited by Johnny Z, 22 August 2017 - 05:10 PM.

#6 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:53 PM

Supreme Commander is FULL of mechs! Thousands onscreen at one time. Strategic zoom, experimental robots, total mayhem and strategic perfection! What more does an RTS game need?

#7 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:31 PM

That looks like something to look forward to, although its an RTS, and RTS games are no stranger to quads.

What's better than four legs? Six legs!! From the mobile arena games, BOT's Nelly and Nite vs. the Fujin and Raijin from War Robots.

#8 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:37 PM

View PostAnjian, on 22 August 2017 - 06:31 PM, said:

What's better than four legs? Six legs!!

Six legs?

Posted Image

#9 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:51 PM

View PostMister Blastman, on 22 August 2017 - 05:53 PM, said:

Supreme Commander is FULL of mechs! Thousands onscreen at one time. Strategic zoom, experimental robots, total mayhem and strategic perfection! What more does an RTS game need?

More effective counters to stop one from winning from the back.

*My experience with SupCom is limited, but it seemed too easy to double down on turtling and then shell enemies into dust with the artillery super-weapons.

#10 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:56 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 22 August 2017 - 07:51 PM, said:

*My experience with SupCom is limited, but it seemed too easy to double down on turtling and then shell enemies into dust with the artillery super-weapons.

Yeah, I've seen lots of clowns do that--go full turtle, that is. It works for a while unless you're playing against someone really good, and if you are, well, turtling will get you killed. If a turtle doesn't die in the early game... and they probably will, they'll get ripped apart as the game progresses and the non-turtle controls the map and all the resources.

SupCom is best enjoyed in a FFA(Free For All) setting. No teams, just 4 - 5 players, vying for control of the board. Awesome fun man. The community is very active online.

p.s. There are a variety of ways to deal with turtles. More often than not, turtling is a losing proposition.

Edited by Mister Blastman, 22 August 2017 - 07:56 PM.

#11 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:04 PM

You know, sometimes I wonder if a MOBA can be created using the Battletech universe.

#12 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:12 PM

View PostMister Blastman, on 22 August 2017 - 04:55 PM, said:

No other RTS serves a purpose after Supreme Commander. All other RTS are inferior to its greatness.

faforever.com

Get in the game. Experience awesome. Need nothing else.

Wait, people remember Supreme Commander?!?!

Turtling+artillery+SACU squads FTW.

View PostMister Blastman, on 22 August 2017 - 07:56 PM, said:

p.s. There are a variety of ways to deal with turtles. More often than not, turtling is a losing proposition.

In my experience, only way to pull it off was through heavy usage of indirect fire and a good air force. If you tried to go solely artillery and shields, you were going to get overrun way too easily. That, and nukes are always a good solution to every problem.

View PostMister Blastman, on 22 August 2017 - 07:37 PM, said:

Six legs?

Spoiler

You forgot to mention the most important part about her. Her name is the Monkeylord. :P

Edited by RestosIII, 22 August 2017 - 08:16 PM.

#13 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:34 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 22 August 2017 - 07:51 PM, said:

That's pretty much how it is at the very low level of play. Once you get to players that know the meta a little bit everyone knows that turtling is basically balling up to die. You need a lot of map control in the game to get the mass extractors and keep them defended.

Most of my matches end in tier 1 or tier 2 before people can even think of building artillery or super weapons. Even the matches that drag on into tier 3 no one ever builds the super artillery since its literally the worst strat in the game. It takes super long to build, takes a boat load of resources, and in the end can be countered by one guy putting a shield generator up and keeping some engineers assisting the shield so it regenerates before the next shell hits.

EDIT:

Its honestly hard to find friends to play this game with since its so complex that people don't even realize all the options and just turtle up. I have pretty much no friends to play it with on my level so I just have to go to the ladder.

Edited by Dakota1000, 22 August 2017 - 08:38 PM.

#14 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:50 PM

View PostDakota1000, on 22 August 2017 - 08:34 PM, said:

Most of my matches end in tier 1 or tier 2 before people can even think of building artillery or super weapons. Even the matches that drag on into tier 3 no one ever builds the super artillery since its literally the worst strat in the game. It takes super long to build, takes a boat load of resources, and in the end can be countered by one guy putting a shield generator up and keeping some engineers assisting the shield so it regenerates before the next shell hits.

Oh. I didn't notice the super artillery bit. I didn't think anyone used those? Regular artillery banks are so much more efficient.

#15 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:56 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 22 August 2017 - 08:50 PM, said:

Oh. I didn't notice the super artillery bit. I didn't think anyone used those? Regular artillery banks are so much more efficient.

Yeah, I'd like throwing in one or two of those to fire bases to thin the ranks of an approaching army or if I needed a good anti mobile arty to keep an area safe. More often I'd just build more units or use the resources to tier up though.

#16 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:15 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 22 August 2017 - 08:12 PM, said:

Wait, people remember Supreme Commander?!?!

Not just remember, I play it online every night. The community is thriving. =)

Edited by Mister Blastman, 22 August 2017 - 09:15 PM.

#17 stealthraccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:18 PM

Omg, cast iron, internal combustion, stompy spider mechs with an imperial Soviet flavor - I LOVE IT!

I dunno what this 'Supreme Commander' is, but if it is anything like Total Annihilation, it's probably good.

Edited by stealthraccoon, 22 August 2017 - 09:20 PM.

#18 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:23 PM

View Poststealthraccoon, on 22 August 2017 - 09:18 PM, said:

Omg, cast iron, internal combustion, stompy spider mechs with an imperial Soviet flavor - I LOVE IT!

I dunno what this 'Supreme Commander' is, but if it is anything like Total Annihilation, it's probably good.

You just know there will be DLC factions as well. Being fiction anything is possible. While the mech theme isn't to far off from Battletech, the fiction itself is more like the Fallout series.

I am not into top down games much. This game just has some interesting mech themed videos and pictures and shows mech popularity and things. 1st person is where its at. MechWarrior and Battletech have an entire galaxy to explore.

Edited by Johnny Z, 22 August 2017 - 09:27 PM.

#19 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:25 PM

View Poststealthraccoon, on 22 August 2017 - 09:18 PM, said:

IIRC, people generally refer to SupCom as the spiritual successor to TA.

#20 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:37 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 22 August 2017 - 04:33 PM, said:

If this is meant as an argument for quads in MWO, then you are comparing apples and oranges.
Strategy games handle units more less as monolithical objects and handle the damaging etc. in an abstract way (e.g. "dice" rolling instead of actual geometrical aiming). This means the unit models itself are hardly more than animations glued to the actually abstract unit.
In such an abstracted concept, it's next to irrelevant if the unit has 2 legs or 4 or 15.5 tentacles. It's a mere animation that has no influence on the gameplay.

In a an FPS like MWO, you have actual geometrical aiming. You have things like hitboxes. MWO even has Mechs being comprised of different components. You can imagine the Mechs as actually "being there" in a geometrical way for the game logic. All that has to be coded and handled at runtime. That basically means every single form has to be coded for itself.

It's like comparing a sticker image of a Ferrari to your actual car.
Or like comparing a plastic figure Gotcha tabletop game to actually playing Gotcha yourself. The latter is MUCH more complex than the prior.

Edited by Paigan, 23 August 2017 - 12:41 AM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users